What is walking in the things of the Spirit (H.S)...?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Seek a certain kind of "feeling", no thanks, especially not the Penecostal feeling... I think you can experience the Holy Spirit without that and without a lot of hooplah, or flopping and rolling around on the floor...

God Bless!

friend, you really just need to edit out this post...

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
friend, you really just need to edit out this post...
I would but then I wouldn't be very genuine, everyone makes mistakes, and I did, and apologized and meant it and I think people need to see that too...

It was fear, and a lack of understanding on my part, I'll try not to make comments like that, or stigmatize penecostals in that way now...

But, thank you though...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is walking in the things of the Spirit (H.S.)...?

What does it look like...? How is it done...? How do we do it...?

Comments...?
If you mean walk by the Spirit as in Galatians 5:16 and 5:25, the "walk" is different in Greek in those two verses:

The "walk" in 5:16 is peripateō, which means to follow as companion, to go by, to be occupied with.
The "walk" in 5:25 is stoicheō, which means to direct one's life, to follow.

Spirit is the Holy Spirit.

So walk by the Spirit means we rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us in our thought, our word and everything we do, daily and in our every living moment. It is like Enoch walking with God.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Comments...?

I have my own ideas on this, that I might post later, but, I want to see what some of you think first...

God Bless!
Bearing the fruit of the Spirit!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that the same as producing...? Or not...?
Yes, producing the fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of walking by the Spirit (i.e. following the Holy Spirit)

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is that the same as producing...? Or not...?

Thank You,

God Bless!
The fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

God is love.

We are transformed into the image of Christ, hence, love from a pure heart is that very image.

Love is the goal of all the Christian instruction.

Love overflows into evangelism.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, producing the fruit of the Holy Spirit is the result of walking by the Spirit (i.e. following the Holy Spirit)
You will know them by their fruit.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Cheylynn

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Vancouver Island
✟112,033.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Comments...?

I have my own ideas on this, that I might post later, but, I want to see what some of you think first...

God Bless!

What does it mean to walk in the Spirit?

It is a walk of submission.

Give your life – to deny it.

Take His Life – to live it.

Then you may obey, and overcome.

Do not contend in your flesh to find solutions!

Battle in the heavenlies!

Lean not on your own understanding,

But believe and have faith in who Christ is and what He has done.

Rejoice always! No matter what you see with your eyes

Or what your ears hear, Rejoice and give thanks to Him continually!

This is in simple terms – how to walk in the Spirit!

Amen!

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Comments...?

God Bless!
Well, as Paul says, the law is spiritual -

Romans 7:14 - 14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

He goes on to say:

Romans 8:5-8 - For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

He says that being carnally minded is death, because it's at enmity against God because the carnal mind isn't subject to the law of God, which is spiritual. But that the spiritual mind is peace and life, because it is subject to His law.

Ezekiel 36:26-27 - this talks a lot about what you having His spirit will look like.

It seems really contrary to what modern tradition is, but what you're asking is a serious question that I'm glad you're asking. All I'm saying is to consider that maybe the traditional doctrine of today could possibly be wrong, to have an open mind to what I'm saying, and to just compare it to scripture with prayer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Walking in the Spirit, to me, means walking obediently to His word. You know when you are doing it because you are walking with His peace in your heart. Your thoughts are turned more Heavenward than worldly and when someone is rude you don't feel annoyed, or proud, you feel compassion and forgiveness. The fruits of the Holy Spirit are more evident and describe your behaviour. You feel more thankful for the blessings given to you and thoughts are no longer on self much.

You have a more heartfelt desire to talk to our Father and there is more of a dialogue going on through the day.

This is easy to do when you are walking im the Spirit because it is through His power you do it. By submitting to his perfect Will and Authority. All we must do is trust and obey

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Spirit is invisible, eternal, and immortal. It is only temporarily "housed" in the Body/Soul combo in this life on earth. It is not "seen", nor is the permanently indwelling God the Holy Spirit.

If you are living in the will of God, you are walking in the Spirit.

Romans 12:2
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect

Upvote 0

lee11

Nov 10, 2017
melbourne
✟34,951.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Comments...?

God Bless!

Hi

My understanding of walking in the Flesh or the Spirit is demonstrated by our thoughts words and deeds.

When we walk in the flesh we follow and fulfil all our carnal desires and cravings, which we did in the world before we received salvation, and decided to follow the teachings and examples of Jesus.

This is traditionally referred to in the bible, as our old nature or the old man etc.

We demonstrate our carnal desires and cravings through our thoughts words and deeds.

To walk in the Spirit instead of the flesh, after we have received salvation is a different process, we read the word of God because it renews our mind and affects our ethics, morals and values.

Reading the word of God reprograms and disciplines our mind, it transforms our characteristics and replaces our previous, thoughts words and deeds with the fruit of the Spirit.

The fruit of the Spirit are the characteristics of the Holy Spirit, which replaces our old nature with a Christ like nature and is why we become more Christ like in thoughts words and deeds and the bible says this holds us blameless.

Another words these Holy Spirit characteristics are unconditional qualities that we demonstrate in situations and circumstances, and how we respond and interact with people and this gives us peace of mind, and helps us overcome trails, tribulations, and become obedient and follow the teachings and examples of Jesus.

We can still react in the flesh at different times as Christians after we receive salvation, but we have a provision to repent and confess our sins and move on, but this will depend on your doctrine or belief system.

I hope this helps.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 John 1:6 - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. Walking in darkness is descriptive of children of the devil. Walking in the light is descriptive of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums