What is uncleanliness according to the bible?

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There's not a simple answer. The OT gives a set of rules. What it doesn't do is describe the concept and explain how the rules connect to it. So we sort of have to reverse engineer the definition. Here's one attempt: Clean, Unclean - Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology Online. In many cases it seems to be a violation of boundaries, between holy and unholy, or even between two kinds of animals or two kinds of cloth.

Of course Jesus mostly rejected the concept.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,929.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's not a simple answer. The OT gives a set of rules. What it doesn't do is describe the concept and explain how the rules connect to it. So we sort of have to reverse engineer the definition. Here's one attempt: Clean, Unclean - Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology Online. In many cases it seems to be a violation of boundaries, between holy and unholy, or even between two kinds of animals or two kinds of cloth.

Of course Jesus mostly rejected the concept.

I am happy to be corrected but I thinks many of these requirements were related to the safety and health of the Children of Israel at the time. They were wise guidelines for various - some understood - some not.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
There is also the spiritual aspect of clean and unclean, which is of greater importance, its not just a physical quality.

The evil are unclean on the inside.
And they are so consumed with looking good on the outside.
Matthew 23:26
Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.

John 13:10
Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.”

John 13:11
For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.”

John 15:3
You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am happy to be corrected but I thinks many of these requirements were related to the safety and health of the Children of Israel at the time. They were wise guidelines for various - some understood - some not.
For a couple of the rules yes, but if you look at the whole set of clean / unclean distinctions I don't think it's generally true.

• Agree
Reactions: expos4ever
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

It is certainly true that some of the laws of ritual purity appear to be wise from a point of view of sanitation and hygiene but it is still an open question as to whether or not they were designed or intended that way.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Would smoking be considered what is meant by passages about uncleanliness? Given how filthy they are
Jesus said that it is not what goes into a person, but what comes out of them that shows the heart of the individual. He then lists the things that show that a person has a bad heart. A person with a bad heart will speak the things that are consistent with the works of the flesh (lust, uncleanness, envy, jealousy, hatred), and a person with a good heart will speak things consistent with love, joy, peace, kindness, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Smoking is not a wise thing to do because of the harmful effects that it can have on one's health. I think it comes under the truth that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and that we should do what we can to look after them, and not abuse them in any way.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Clean and common were distinctions of what was set apart for a purpose or for God and what wasn't. When it comes to food, clean was acceptable human food and unclean was good to other animals but not for humans. I've been around a lot of public health people and it is a marvel that God wanted His people to know how NOT to spread disease or contaminate themselves long before germs were identified.

The concepts that God's people were given could be extrapolated to behaviors like cigarette smoking as I would quickly agree that being in a smoky environment makes me feel very unclean. I would hope every smoker would consider whether he has the right to smoke because of their neighbor/family member/friend impacted by being in their smoke, then I would hope they would see that they don't really have the right to smoke up the temple of God which is their own body - if it were me interpreting the scriptural principles into areas that weren't covered by Scripture. God is always interested in helping us separate out the clean from the common, helping us to live lives separated for Him.

Upvote 0

dailyprayerwarrior

Sep 2, 2019
Blaine
✟12,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I tend to lean towards spiritual cleansing when it comes to this topic. Thanks to Jesus we need only admit our mistake, genuinely repent, and God forgives us and "cleanses" us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). Praise the Lord!

Reactions: sdowney717
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums