✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
We don't.
Remember men can "prove" (and have) ten million things that are competely and utterly false and opposed to GOD; and contrary to HIS WORD.

yeshua,

To the contrary, they measure the river water by the use of metric gauges that determine the flood height.

I'm nhot talking about the truth of God's Word. We are dealing with the topic of truth. The truth of the height of the flooded Fitzroy River at Rockhampton was measured by flood gauges that had been installed long before the flood came. That's how they knew the truth of the height of the river when it reached its peak

I don't know which planet you are on when I asked about how to measure the truth of when the flooded river reached its peak and you come back with men can 'prove' millions of things that are false.

Is it false what the measurement was of the Fitzroy River reaching its peak of 8.75 metres?

Oz

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE=]How do you determine the truth that the earth rotates around the sun? Is it the truth that antibiotics work when administered for certain illnesses? How do we determine the truth that the flooded Fitzroy River at Rockhampton, Qld, Australia, peaked at 8.8 metres on Thursday, 6 April 2017?[/QUOTE

QUOTE="]We don't.
Remember men can "prove" (and have) ten million things that are competely and utterly false and opposed to GOD; and contrary to HIS WORD
.[/QUOTE

QUOTE=]To the contrary, they measure the river water by the use of metric gauges that determine the flood height.[/QUOTE

If men are not liars, if you trust them, you still can't determine the truth from what they tell you. You can or might say "It looks like its true", but that's about it.

Since so many men are liars (it is written in GOD'S WORD), SINCE GOD says NOT to trust men(flesh) - don't rely on them - that's strike 2.
Thus, (and there is much more, but not for this forum),
the answer to your question is still
what I posted. "We don't". (determine the truth) -
Even more , for the other questions.(never ending debates historically and on this forum "prove" it) ...
There's no agreement on truth here.(online).

Not even that GOD'S WORD IS TRUTH.
And JESUS IS TRUTH.
That TRUTH is more than enough for the SALVATION of all those who love GOD, who are called according to HIS PURPOSE.
BUT, "we can't determine it" = it has not been proven to most of the visitors here, and cannot be.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Paul, the one who promoted the gifts of the Spirit, including healing, instructed Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach sake (1 Tim 5:23).

It was OK for Paul to recommend a medicine in the first century.

Oz
Not reeeeaaaallly.... but , we cannot discuss it here.
If there is another site where it is permitted, let me know.
There is quite a wide gap of belief among visitors to this forum (and members); and only those in line with the rules (and the beliefs of those in charge) may be posted without threat of being banned.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
QUOTE=]How do you determine the truth that the earth rotates around the sun? Is it the truth that antibiotics work when administered for certain illnesses? How do we determine the truth that the flooded Fitzroy River at Rockhampton, Qld, Australia, peaked at 8.8 metres on Thursday, 6 April 2017?[/QUOTE

QUOTE="]We don't.
Remember men can "prove" (and have) ten million things that are competely and utterly false and opposed to GOD; and contrary to HIS WORD
.[/QUOTE

QUOTE=]To the contrary, they measure the river water by the use of metric gauges that determine the flood height.[/QUOTE

If men are not liars, if you trust them, you still can't determine the truth from what they tell you. You can or might say "It looks like its true", but that's about it.

Since so many men are liars (it is written in GOD'S WORD), SINCE GOD says NOT to trust men(flesh) - don't rely on them - that's strike 2.
Thus, (and there is much more, but not for this forum),
the answer to your question is still
what I posted. "We don't". (determine the truth) -
Even more , for the other questions.(never ending debates historically and on this forum "prove" it) ...
There's no agreement on truth here.(online).

Not even that GOD'S WORD IS TRUTH.
And JESUS IS TRUTH.
That TRUTH is more than enough for the SALVATION of all those who love GOD, who are called according to HIS PURPOSE.
BUT, "we can't determine it" = it has not been proven to most of the visitors here, and cannot be.

I'm trying to show you that your definition of truth is not expansive enough. Examine the fact that truth conforms to reality.

The flood height of the river was determined by the reality of the gauge that measures the height of the water. That's the truth.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Not reeeeaaaallly.... but , we cannot discuss it here.
If there is another site where it is permitted, let me know.
There is quite a wide gap of belief among visitors to this forum (and members); and only those in line with the rules (and the beliefs of those in charge) may be posted without threat of being banned.

I was affirming the truth of Scripture and that agrees with the OP: 'What is truth?'

Oz

Upvote 0

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone define truth in two words or less? Sorry,I forgot I would also like to add "How does one determine what truth is? Is there "relative" truth and if so how is it defined"?
Define all of truth and give three examples using only two words and the color blue. And please make it a serious effort so we can have a meaningful conversation. lol

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone define truth in two words or less? Sorry,I forgot I would also like to add "How does one determine what truth is? Is there "relative" truth and if so how is it defined"?

Truth is that which corresponds to reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is Like, or reflects, or agrees with, reality... You know what reality is...? Interesting...?
FOR FUN, and comparison, easy reading, paraphrase by some, SCRIPTURE not contradicting:

Luke 12:22-32The Message (MSG)
Steep Yourself in God-Reality

22-24 He continued this subject with his disciples. “Don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes or if the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the ravens, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, carefree in the care of God. And you count far more.

25-28 “Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can’t even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don’t fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?

29-32 “What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but

you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

The Message (MSG)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
FOR FUN, and comparison, easy reading, paraphrase by some, SCRIPTURE not contradicting:

Luke 12:22-32The Message (MSG)
Steep Yourself in God-Reality

22-24 He continued this subject with his disciples. “Don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes or if the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your inner life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the ravens, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, carefree in the care of God. And you count far more.

25-28 “Has anyone by fussing before the mirror ever gotten taller by so much as an inch? If fussing can’t even do that, why fuss at all? Walk into the fields and look at the wildflowers. They don’t fuss with their appearance—but have you ever seen color and design quite like it? The ten best-dressed men and women in the country look shabby alongside them. If God gives such attention to the wildflowers, most of them never even seen, don’t you think he’ll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?

29-32 “What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but

you know both God and how he works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met. Don’t be afraid of missing out. You’re my dearest friends! The Father wants to give you the very kingdom itself.

The Message (MSG)
Excellent! I think I like that Bible translation (and the scripture you quoted)... I've heard those passages before and I like the way that translation puts it... Know where I can get one for cheap...? Ebay...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Excellent! I think I like that Bible translation (and the scripture you quoted)... I've heard those passages before and I like the way that translation puts it... Know where I can get one for cheap...? Ebay...?

Peace,

God Bless!
It is "free" to use and lookup with a lot of other translations also,
on www biblegateway dot com.

Probably available low price on eb like you said, and am&z&n also.

Realize the regular version has no verse numbers.
It is amazingly easy and wonderful to read,
to compare with RSV and others,
(to verify the meaning, and not get a wrong meaning),
and
sometimes/often brings out a simple child's view that
is missed in other versions .

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Is Like, or reflects, or agrees with, reality... You know what reality is...? Interesting...?

Do educate us please...?

Peace,

God Bless!
I'm not sure that I'm following your response, would you mind rewording it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not sure that I'm following your response, would you mind rewording it?
What is "real"...? how does truth correspond with what is real...?

Any Better...?

I don't know how to make my questions statement any more clear...

You said...? Anyhow, what you said, if you really understood what you said, I think it would have "shown out" in your at least understanding my questions or what I said...

So, my guess is that you really do not understand what you said... But, I could be wrong...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You're two for two now on coming across as condescending. I recommend trying to be a little more irenic and charitable when you respond to people.

For example, in reality, either God exists or God does not exist. My belief on the matter does not actually impact the reality of whether or not God exists. The statement "God exists" would be a truth-claim. Now, if in reality God does exist, then that statement is true, because it corresponds to reality.

As far as actually possessing Truth, clearly all one needs do is look around and we know that many things people believe are in fact, not true - they don't correspond to reality. I believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross for my sins, and now I can have a personal relationship with Him. Someone else is an atheist. Either one of our beliefs corresponds to reality, or neither of them do. But the Truth is always going to correspond to reality.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that I don't determine what is True. There is an external world that exists, apart from my mind.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What is "real"...? how does truth correspond with what is real...?

Lack of emoticons might be making like to you that I am being condescending, but, I'm really not, I swear...

Above is just two honest questions trying to clarify what I was asking before...

Any Better...?

I really did mean, "Is that any better, am I being more clear...?

I don't know how to make my questions statement any more clear...

Meaning I'm sorry, but I really don't know how to make myself any more clear, but, I am trying...

You said...? Anyhow, what you said, if you really understood what you said, I think it would have "shown out" in your at least understanding my questions or what I said...

So, my guess is that you really do not understand what you said... But, I could be wrong...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Just stating a fact that if you really did understand what you said, I thought you should have understood what I was asking...

If you do not, that's cool, I don't either, and that was what I was trying to get at...?

You're two for two now on coming across as condescending. I recommend trying to be a little more irenic and charitable when you respond to people.

For example, in reality, either God exists or God does not exist. My belief on the matter does not actually impact the reality of whether or not God exists. The statement "God exists" would be a truth-claim. Now, if in reality God does exist, then that statement is true, because it corresponds to reality.

As far as actually possessing Truth, clearly all one needs do is look around and we know that many things people believe are in fact, not true - they don't correspond to reality. I believe that Jesus was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died on the cross for my sins, and now I can have a personal relationship with Him. Someone else is an atheist. Either one of our beliefs corresponds to reality, or neither of them do. But the Truth is always going to correspond to reality.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that I don't determine what is True. There is an external world that exists, apart from my mind.

OK, simple question (And I'm not trying to be condescending, only maybe at myself, maybe cause/but, I have to have things simple, so)...

"How is truth that which corresponds with reality", and doesn't it depend upon what kind of reality you are talking about...? Or believe in, or think is reality, or not...?

Peace,

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"How is truth that which corresponds with reality", and doesn't it depend upon what kind of reality you are talking about...? Or believe in, or think is reality, or not...?
Consider this a form of ontological realism. The external world exists. You do not live in the Matrix. There is only one reality.

For example, either God exists or God does not exist. God's existence is not based upon whether you or I believe He exists. Now, our job is to do our best to live in reality, to live in the Truth.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Consider this a form of ontological realism. The external world exists. You do not live in the Matrix. There is only one reality.

For example, either God exists or God does not exist. God's existence is not based upon whether you or I believe He exists. Now, our job is to do our best to live in reality, to live in the Truth.
If your talking about the physical world of matter and material as we know it, then that's not the real reality, and I am of the Belief that the physical world is like a Matrix run from the real reality where they exist...

Th unseen is more real than the seen, or what is perceived by the physical body with the five senses... It's not really, "real"...

But that's just me,

God Bless!

Upvote 0