Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to a member of the Muslim community in Salford interviewed on BBC News this morning (in light of the Alan Henning killing) "true" Islam is about "compassion and forgiveness".

But I ask the question, is this actually "true" Islam or is this what (arguably most) Muslims would like Islam to be?

Is "compassion and forgiveness" at the heart and central to "true" Islam, and are the atrocities committed by extremists a perversion and distortion of Islamic teaching?

Or is it the opposite? Are the extremists actually more au fait with "true" Islam, and those Muslims talking about "compassion and forgiveness" quite distanced and removed from the truth of Islam?

Are there clear passages in the Qu'ran and Hadith to support either "compassion and forgiveness" OR are there passages which might support the darker side of Islam?

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Don't know.
Probably best to start with Islamic Scholars to find your answer.(I know nothing of Islamic Scholars, so I'm afraid I can't make any suggestions)

Of course, as Islam has a number of denominations, it's not going to be a clear-cut answer, and probably will rely on you to some extent as to what conclusion you come to.
Likewise, as with Christian scholars, you could spend all your life studying so...yeah, even with a moderate amount of study, you'd need a notable amount of time and dedication.

Saying all that, somehow I doubt your question is a serious one, but rather just a means to make people wonder "Is Islam Peaceful? Or Evil?"

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2011
✟11,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to a member of the Muslim community in Salford interviewed on BBC News this morning (in light of the Alan Henning killing) "true" Islam is about "compassion and forgiveness".

But I ask the question, is this actually "true" Islam or is this what (arguably most) Muslims would like Islam to be?

Is "compassion and forgiveness" at the heart and central to "true" Islam, and are the atrocities committed by extremists a perversion and distortion of Islamic teaching?

Or is it the opposite? Are the extremists actually more au fait with "true" Islam, and those Muslims talking about "compassion and forgiveness" quite distanced and removed from the truth of Islam?

Are there clear passages in the Qu'ran and Hadith to support either "compassion and forgiveness" OR are there passages which might support the darker side of Islam?

Why did Rushdie write the satanic verses?

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Simple answer is "yes to both". Much like Christianity & the bible, there are passages which some people interpret one way and others a different way. Extremism has a way of taking things, well, to an extreme! I'd need to get myself back up to speed with Quran and Hadith to quote specific verses, but I know there are arguments for the dark side.

FYI I've just finished watching the Star Wars movies with my young boys. The dark side is so much easier to comprehend in movies ;)

Upvote 0
O

OopsyDaisy

Just listen to our leaders - they know the truth - Islam is a religion of peace -

'Release the dove of peace now please'...

'They came in peace!

'Do not run away, we come in peace, we are your friends'...

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2011
✟11,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Mr Cameron informs me that Islamic State is not a state and is not islamic.

I would disagree bearing in mind the current accepted leader of I.S. holds a PhD. in Islamic studies and makes him a more credible source of information.

Steve

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
True islam is marrying 4 women, fighting/Jihad'ing "In sabil allah" (in the name of God to promote Islam) and being unequal to women.
Are you a muslim scholar?

I'm wondering what qualifies you to comment on this complicated question

Upvote 0

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would disagree bearing in mind the current accepted leader of I.S. holds a PhD. in Islamic studies and makes him a more credible source of information.

Steve

Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noted the comment towards the bottom of the page "Others are convinced that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is an Israeli Mossad agent and actor called "Simon Elliot". "

Credible source of information or a hoax????

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Simple answer is "yes to both". Much like Christianity & the bible, there are passages which some people interpret one way and others a different way. Extremism has a way of taking things, well, to an extreme! I'd need to get myself back up to speed with Quran and Hadith to quote specific verses, but I know there are arguments for the dark side.

FYI I've just finished watching the Star Wars movies with my young boys. The dark side is so much easier to comprehend in movies ;)
:thumbsup: I'd have to agree with this too although it's been a while since I had my hands on the literature (that I didn't chuck in the bin and the ex didn't take with him).

There were verses which pointed to a religion of peace and some which pointed the other way.

Upvote 0

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think this is a tricky issue to handle, and a controversial one also..

It would be very easy to attack and critique the Islamic religion because of the atrocities carried out by a minority.

But there is no gain in doing this ultimately - All Muslims are people made in the image of God (of the bible), Christ died and rose for them and they are all sinners like all of us in need of salvation.

I don't think Tony Blairs point today about teaching religious tolerance is of particular help to be honest, and I don't see tolerance as either helpful or achievable if you really understand the true tenants of the major world faiths..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
What is "true" Christianity?

Are G. W. Bush and Tony Blair good examples?

Depends if you believe Christianity is a merit-based religion or grace-based religion. Something which you've struggled to grasp in the past

Upvote 0

King Mob

Oct 19, 2012
✟15,968.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Depends if you believe Christianity is a merit-based religion or grace-based religion. Something which you've struggled to grasp in the past

I think the `struggle` lies` firmly at the door of religious types. `They are obsessed with peoples private lives.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I think the `struggle` lies` firmly at the door of religious types. `They are obsessed with peoples private lives.

Were we talking about Bush and Blair's private lives? Do try to stay on topic

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.