What is true Biblical prosperity, and how do we seek it?

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you.
And again, I ask for you to consider this one question
Who "blessed" Solomon with riches, and why?

Solomon also had many wives and concubines. He was also circumcised, according to the Law. Should we follow that as well? Solomon lived under the Law. We are in the New covenant now. If folks want to live like OT Israelite's, then that's their choice i suppose, but its not sound doctrine.

Matthew 13:16 But blessed are your eyes, because they see; and your ears, because they hear. 17 For truly I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James says that the poor are RICH in faith.
In James 2:5 >

"Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?" (in James 2:5)

"It doesn't say, directly, that He has chosen the poor to become rich in money."

"Oh, but if they are rich in faith, they could then be blessed with riches, once they are seeking God for Himself . . . like what happened to Solomon."

Who "blessed" Solomon with riches, and why?
The LORD told Solomon that the LORD would bless him with "riches and honor" > in 1 Kings 3:13. Part of why He gave Solomon riches and honor, I consider, was because Solomon did not ask for them. He sought first that God would make him wise for ruling God's people.

So, I see, here, that being wise can do much more than money. And Solomon appreciated that, possibly.

But later Solomon failed, and he wrote how he had failed, by going after women and pleasures and riches. So, also . . . possibly, in the case of Solomon, he had riches so he could become an object lesson for us.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Solomon also had many wives and concubines. He was also circumcised, according to the Law. Should we follow that as well? Solomon lived under the Law. We are in the New covenant now. If folks want to live like OT Israelite's, then that's their choice i suppose, but its not sound doctrine.
HUH? That's a straw-man fallacy.
I love discussing things here, but can we keep it real because wavering from truth is ALSO not sound doctrine.
Plus, I don't care to play silly games. I seek truth and I seek to honor God.
We have to answer to Him, and He doesn't like trifling.
You ignored the question a couple times now, so perhaps you're just at a loss
Let's use Occams Razor and just say that:
GOD was pleased with King and He blessed Him.
The wealth was a blessing from God Almighty

Do you disagree with that assessment?
I read the account and that's pretty straightforward, no?

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The LORD told Solomon that the LORD would bless him with "riches and honor" > in 1 Kings 3:13. Part of why He gave Solomon riches and honor, I consider, was because Solomon did not ask for them. He sought first that God would make him wise for ruling God's people.

So, I see, here, that being wise can do much more than money. And Solomon appreciated that, possibly.

But later Solomon failed, and he wrote how he had failed, by going after women and pleasures and riches. So, also . . . possibly, in the case of Solomon, he had riches so he could become an object lesson for us.
Hi. :)
I don't believe that last sentence was God's motivation at all.
God doesn't temp man ever
But the rest of your posts is right from the Scritpures
It's just hard for us to wrap our minds around God wanting to bless His peole
with health and wealth and love and joy etc.
we've been programmed to think that poverty is more godly.
IMO

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and it's very sad that Solomon failed at the end.
Seems most men (and women) do struggle with something
one thing or another.
Gluttony, (but He still is the one who created the good foods!)
Sexual deviancy (But it's God who created sex and made it pleasurable!)
Wine.. etc.
MEN can be real sheepish ;)
But all God wants is us to seek HIM first.. and then
like any parent, He wants to see us happy and a blessing
IMO

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
HUH? That's a straw-man fallacy.
I love discussing things here, but can we keep it real because wavering from truth is ALSO not sound doctrine.
Plus, I don't care to play silly games. I seek truth and I seek to honor God.
We have to answer to Him, and He doesn't like trifling.
You ignored the question a couple times now, so perhaps you're just at a loss
Let's use Occams Razor and just say that:
GOD was pleased with King and He blessed Him.
The wealth was a blessing from God Almighty

Do you disagree with that assessment?
I read the account and that's pretty straightforward, no?

I think you will see what you want to see.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and it's very sad that Solomon failed at the end.
Seems most men (and women) do struggle with something
one thing or another.
Gluttony, (but He still is the one who created the good foods!)
Sexual deviancy (But it's God who created sex and made it pleasurable!)
Wine.. etc.
MEN can be real sheepish ;)
But all God wants is us to seek HIM first.. and then
like any parent, He wants to see us happy and a blessing
IMO

Im not a glutton, so if you want to preach against it, go ahead, im not falling for that nonsense, sister.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Truth is that being rich fails the Acts 4, spirit filled church, example. So believe what you wish folks, i dont much care. Its not me that will be judging you.

I would rather stand judged as a sinner, rather than justify my sin with false doctrine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Im not a glutton, so if you want to preach against it, go ahead, im not falling for that nonsense, sister.
Hmm, perhaps you missed my point..

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Truth is that being rich fails the Acts 4, spirit filled church, example. So believe what you wish folks, i dont much care. Its not me that will be judging you.

I would rather stand judged as a sinner, rather than justify my sin with false doctrine.
It's God who makes a man rich (A Christian man anyhow)
So, no one is trying to justify sin here.
New International Version
The blessing of the LORD brings wealth, without painful toil for it.

New Living Translation
The blessing of the LORD makes a person rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.

English Standard Version
The blessing of the LORD makes rich, and he adds no sorrow with it.

New American Standard Bible
It is the blessing of the LORD that makes rich, And He adds no sorrow to it.

King James Bible
The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

I feel like you're trying to condemn me, and I'm not sure why.
For one thing, I don't chase after riches.
Also, I don't care if God wants to make me rich or poor,
It's totally up to Him. I'm happy.
It's in HIS presence that I find my fullness of joy.
But I'm not going to teach people that He wants us sick and poor.
That would be a lie.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you will see what you want to see.
I see
Wait, I didn't see, rather! lol
I "saw" what it seemed to be saying.
I'd love to hear what you think it's saying.
You haven't shared your own commentary on why
God blessed King Solomon with great wealth.
But it's not just King Solomon. God blessed Abraham AND Lot
with so much "possessions" that the land couldn't hold them!
He also gave them so many descendants that you can't count them!
Check this out, from Genesis 13:
5Now Lot, who was moving about with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents.
6But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together.
7And quarreling arose between Abram’s herders and Lot’s. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time.
8So Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between your herders and mine, for we are close relatives. 9Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.”
... “Look around from where you are, to the north and south, to the east and west. 15All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspringa forever.
16I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted. 17Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you.”

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
People may not be perfect, but that doesnt mean we must blind ourselves to sound doctrine, and allow it to go unchecked. Its not good to strain gnats and swallow camels.
Oh stop lol

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think our exploration of this can include >

(1) Do we first seek prosperity for God? What is involved in prosperity for God?

(2) What is included in our own personal prosperity? What needs to get the main emphasis?

(3) How do we seek prosperity for ourselves and others?
Sorry for not reading the entire thread first but I am just going to share my own understanding here.
For (1) I'm not sure what you mean. Seek prosperity for the Kingdom maybe? I do believe that we
should seek first the Kingdom of God and then all the rest HE ADDS to us. So we don't have to strive
to 'get", all we have to do is follow His voice and sow and reap for His Kingdom. IMO
(2) Being in covenant with God, what is His is ours and what is ours is His. So, whatever God desires
for us to have (as it's written) is what we should also desire, if our hearts desire is to please the Father.
So deep prayerful study is , imo, the most needful thing here.
(3) It doesn't say we need to "seek" riches, and in fact it says not to.
Again, just seek HIM, and allow HIM to share His heart and hand.
IMO.

OH, and the main thing here is the WHY!!
WHY does He bless?
That WE might bless His people!!
Cool thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't chase after riches.
Also, I don't care if God wants to make me rich or poor,
It's totally up to Him. I'm happy.
"I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (in Philippians 4:11-12)

By the way . . . if Paul at times abounded, I suppose this could mean he had more than he needed, which could be more than certain other Christians had. God "gives us richly all things to enjoy," he says in 1 Timothy 6:17. But also he could "suffer need".

And he says he took "pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (in 2 Corinthians 12:10)

I see that God's grace includes the almighty power and working of His love in us, to make us unconditionally content, and so no trouble can have power over us, spiritually and emotionally, and we are creative in this grace while we go through things, loving any and all people. Jesus on the cross had such trouble, but He had an all-loving result. So, grace is not only for our own selves, but for having God's all-loving effect.

why
God blessed King Solomon with great wealth.
But it's not just King Solomon. God blessed Abraham AND Lot
with so much "possessions" that the land couldn't hold them!
and Philemon :)
(1) Do we first seek prosperity for God? What is involved in prosperity for God?
Seek prosperity for the Kingdom maybe?
for God, Himself? How about 1 Peter 3:4? Do you think this could mean how we can seek prosperity for God? :)

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (in Philippians 4:11-12)

By the way . . . if Paul at times abounded, I suppose this could mean he had more than he needed, which could be more than certain other Christians had. God "gives us richly all things to enjoy," he says in 1 Timothy 6:17. But also he could "suffer need".

And he says he took "pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (in 2 Corinthians 12:10)

I see that God's grace includes the almighty power and working of His love in us, to make us unconditionally content, and so no trouble can have power over us, spiritually and emotionally, and we are creative in this grace while we go through things, loving any and all people. Jesus on the cross had such trouble, but He had an all-loving result. So, grace is not only for our own selves, but for having God's all-loving effect.

and Philemon :)

for God, Himself? How about 1 Peter 3:4? Do you think this could mean how we can seek prosperity for God? :)
:)
Don't know about you, but all I want is for my Father to be proud of me.
He's been SO so so so so so so (+) GOOD to us.
Is that what you mean?
Letting the Father show out in us!
Great post, great thread.

Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mathew 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Psalm 119:2 Blessed are those who keep His testimonies,
Who seek Him with the whole heart!

Psalms 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.

Psalms 119:72 The law of Your mouth is better to me
Than thousands of coins of gold and silver.

Psalms 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.

1 Timothy 6:6 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. 7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain[c] we can carry nothing out. 8 And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content.

1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more?

Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it any great thing? No, its not great at all.

1 Corinthians 9:11 If we have sown spiritual things for you, is it a great thing if we reap your material things? 12 If others are partakers of this right over you, are we not even more? Nevertheless we have not used this right, but endure all things lest we hinder the gospel of Christ. 13 Do you not know that those who minister the holy things eat of the things of the temple, and those who serve at the altar partake of the offerings of the altar? 14 Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live from the gospel.

Matthew 23:10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. 12 And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

Psalms 119:18Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ephesians 1:18 the eyes of your understanding[a] being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0