What is true Biblical prosperity, and how do we seek it?

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These prosperity preachers also dont see that when one member of the body suffers, the whole body suffers. When their brother is in need, they themselves are in in need as well. When their brother is naked, they are naked as well. There is no "I" but there is only the body. Imagine the testimony we would have if we actually were like the Church of Acts 4:32! Imagine the light that would shine.

"But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked"

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Below, paul refers to despising those who have nothing. In all of Pauls writings, i see that he emphasizes equality in all things. Equality of wealth, status, and everything else. This "equality" fulfills the law to "love our neighbor as our self". It is discerning the body of Christ as well.

1 Co 11:21 for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. 22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

23 For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

27 So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Revelation 3:17...."But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As i considered this topic, i didnt quite know how to approach it. This seems to be the way, i guess.

More on discerning the Lords body, and loving neighbor as our self...

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[a] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IF there are rich people and poor people in the church, then this seems to show a lack of faith not on the part of the poor necessarily, but instead the rich.
That is very clear, Extraneous. But I am curious what you think about this >

I notice how Paul does write to "those who are rich in this world", in 1 Timothy 6:17. It does not seem, here, that Paul is saying they should stop being rich. But he says "share".

I can see that a well-to-do person might be rich because the person is good at managing finances and material things. So, it could be good for the person to keep whatever amount of what he or she has, bin order to use it to help those who might not be wise at taking care of money and things.

Philemon could be an example > it is clear to me, how Philemon was rich and "even" had slaves. But Paul says he is an example of faith and love > Philemon 4-7! From this, I consider that a rich man can have people with him, whom he is helping by managing for them, maybe in situations where they could not do themselves the good they can have with someone well-to-do watching out for them.

Prosperity preachers don't see that they need spiritual healing.
But can't any of us be our own "prosperity preachers"? And because we are into seeking for our own selves, we are ready to be picked by false ministers who play to how we have been preaching to ourselves what we dictate we should have.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is very clear, Extraneous. But I am curious what you think about this >

I notice how Paul does write to "those who are rich in this world", in 1 Timothy 6:17. It does not seem, here, that Paul is saying they should stop being rich. But he says "share".

I can see that a well-to-do person might be rich because the person is good at managing finances and material things. So, it could be good for the person to keep whatever amount of what he or she has, bin order to use it to help those who might not be wise at taking care of money and things.

Philemon could be an example > it is clear to me, how Philemon was rich and "even" had slaves. But Paul says he is an example of faith and love > Philemon 4-7! From this, I consider that a rich man can have people with him, whom he is helping by managing for them, maybe in situations where they could not do themselves the good they can have with someone well-to-do watching out for them.

But can't any of us be our own "prosperity preachers"? And because we are into seeking for our own selves, we are ready to be picked by false ministers who play to how we have been preaching to ourselves what we dictate we should have.

I see only the body of Christ. If one person suffers, the whole body suffers. How can one person live in a mansion while another lives in poverty? I just see what i see, and i share it. Thats all.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see plenty of people asking for prayer, for help with cars and things they need. I see preachers living in mansions while others have nothing. If that's love and faith then i must be blind. I dont have anything to share however, im just a poor guy who tries to be content in all things. Im not boasting in my poverty, im just sharing my beliefs.

1 John 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mathew 7:15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles?

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Mathew 13:16 But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; 17 for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

18 “Therefore hear the parable of the sower: 19 When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside. 20 But he who received the seed on stony places, this is he who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures only for a while. For when tribulation or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he stumbles. 22 Now he who received seed among the thorns is he who hears the word, and the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and he becomes unfruitful. 23 But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything you can dream for yourself God equipped you with the powers to bring it to fruition.
Hi, there, Tiny Bible :) God bless you :) I think I "get" what your user name means > how you are a living message of God's love, His message not only in words but by example. Each of us who has Jesus in us (Galatians 4:19) has the Word in us, as our real message and His living love meaning >

"clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tables of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart." (2 Corinthians 3:3)

So, Tiny :) I think the dream we would have, as children of God, would be "different" than we have had while we were sinners, and our preferences would not be what the world trains people to look for.

And I understand that God has His dream for us >

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)

I understand that this is our Heavenly Father's number-one dream for Himself and Jesus our Groom and for us. And if we love Him, first, I consider we are first about His dream coming true, and now pleasing Him with what is so precious to Him >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

And there is more, including about how we relate with one another in order to please Him >

"submitting to one another in the fear of God." (Ephesians 5:21)

"swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath" (in James 1:19)

"With all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love," (Ephesians 4:2)

How we relate with one another as family is included in all which is precious to God, I think :)

A dream of mine has been to have a lady companion whom God prepared for me. So, I understood I needed to invest in this, by becoming an example of how she needs to be pleasing to God, in His love's "incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is" so "precious" to Him. I must not only wish to have her for what I want. And become strong in love with self-control so I can not get into arguing and complaining (Philippians 2:13-16), and I need to become strong and sensitive so I do not accept any excuse to get bitter against her >

"Husbands, love your wives and do not be bitter toward them." (Colossians 3:19)

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

So, I knew I needed to invest in this, so I might reap this with her.

Well, Tiny . . . I have gotten a lady companion; but God did not make us perfect first!! But I understand He has us with each other so we can learn together and help each other get His correction and healing and maturing :)

James 5:16, Galatians 6:1, and Hebrews 5:2 have been helping me to first be about caring for her and others, instead of first reacting with anger and criticism when things don't go like I prefer or really are wrong. Jesus, I understand, never gave up on His disciples or anyone. And how Jesus is so unconditionally loving with us is our example also required of us.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James 1:9 Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10 But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower. 11 For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.

Mathew 13:18 “Therefore hear the parable of the sower:

James 2:5 Listen, my dear brothers and sisters: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

Mathew 6:28:...See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)

Amen brother, bread from heaven, things from "above".

Exodus 16:4 Then the Lord said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions. 5 On the sixth day they are to prepare what they bring in, and that is to be twice as much as they gather on the other days.”

2 Corithians 8:13 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. 14 At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality, 15 as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”

Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exodus 16:15... Moses said to them, “It is the bread the Lord has given you to eat. 16 This is what the Lord has commanded: ‘Everyone is to gather as much as they need. Take an omer[a] for each person you have in your tent.’”

17 The Israelites did as they were told; some gathered much, some little. 18 And when they measured it by the omer, the one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little. Everyone had gathered just as much as they needed.

19 Then Moses said to them, “No one is to keep any of it until morning

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them.
But Extraneous, I see that in order to have that prosperity of sharing as family, they first needed to be "one in heart and mind." Also, before the Holy Spirit fell on them, they in prayer become "of one accord" > Acts 1:13-14, 2:1-4. And I see this is the main benefit of Christian prosperity, how we are one with one another . . . because of becoming one with the Lord. And so, as Paul does say, we can give all we have to the poor; but if we do not have love, it profits us "nothing" < this is another "nothing" to be concerned about > 1 Corinthians 13:3.

Also, it is possible to get self-righteous about being the ones who do not store up riches. We can be haughty about how we are the ones who give to the needy while we look down on others who do not. So, we need to do this not judgmentally, but humbly and thankfully.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Com, I take it you don't have a job?
I do not have a money making job, but I am often busy with doing things which others would get payed for. And I get taken care of > God does say the laborer is worthy of his hire; and He gives me much more and better than I "need".

So, yes, I share items of the Bible, like >
But I understand that it is good to work in order to pay for things of this life. And I give freely; no one has to pay me for things I share ministerially or that I do to help people.

"Freely you have received, freely give," Jesus says in Matthew 10:8.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But Extraneous, I see that in order to have that prosperity of sharing as family, they first needed to be "one in heart and mind." Also, before the Holy Spirit fell on them, they in prayer become "of one accord" > Acts 1:13-14, 2:1-4. And I see this is the main benefit of Christian prosperity, how we are one with one another . . . because of becoming one with the Lord. And so, as Paul does say, we can give all we have to the poor; but if we do not have love, it profits us "nothing" < this is another "nothing" to be concerned about > 1 Corinthians 13:3.

Also, it is possible to get self-righteous about being the ones who do not store up riches. We can be haughty about how we are the ones who give to the needy while we look down on others who do not. So, we need to do this not judgmentally, but humbly and thankfully.

Please dont waste the thread judging me, im a nobody, and its just not worth your time brother. I dont take money from anyone, so judging me is a waste of time, and irrelevant. You can judge my interpretation of scripture if you want however, and i would expect no less. About these prosperity preachers, they not only claim to be anointed, but they take in billions of dollars doing so. I think Kenneth Copeland boasted of taking in a billion dollars into his ministry, if im not mistaken.

Surely its good to be like the Berean Jews and search scripture to see if what these prosperity preachers say is true. I find it interesting that prosperity preachers claim to be filled with the spirit, yet in ACTS 4 we see that they were filled with the spirit, and that caused them to share everything they had, and to not consider anything they owned as their own. Thats what a spirit filled Church looks like. However we have rich prosperity preachers living in mansions filled with expensive furniture, driving luxury cars and wearing expensive suits, who claim to be spirit filled. Meanwhile, most people struggle just to pay bills and keep their car running. Thats not what a spirit filled Church looks like though.

Upvote 0

Extraneous

Jan 29, 2016
USA
✟19,796.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Prosperity preachers seem to teach us to do the opposite. They teach us to focus on wealth, health and all manner of worldly prosperity. Not only that, but it seems to be in sharp contrast to what the Lord and His apostles teach.

Upvote 0