What is this necessary “Wedding Garment”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pure white raiment (robes) are what the righteous saints are given, and are part of their wedding attire.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Believers get white robes, but can defile their robes - if they defile their robes, their names are blotted out of the book of life.

Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Jesus warned some churches in Revelation that many of them had soiled their robes, and some had lost them completely, and were naked.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

The man in Matthew 22 therefore had defiled his white raiment (which are the righteousness of saints) and was thrown out of the wedding of the lamb, and into hell as a lost sinner.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are misinformed about believers who hold to the biblical view that a person is saved by God's grace through faith which is then followed by the Sanctification Process.

What about the thief on the cross? He was about to die when he got saved. I guess he went to hell then because there was no time for him to be sanctified.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am aware of Revelation, we are discussing the wedding garment used in the parable in Matthew. which is used in different context.

“He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.” (Matthew 11:15).

“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:” (Isaiah 28:10).

“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.” (1 John 2:27).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about the thief on the cross? He was about to die when he got saved. I guess he went to hell then because there was no time for him to be sanctified.

If that is the case, then babies go to hell because they did not accept Jesus or believe in Him. See how that works? There is not a one sized fit all salvation package. Jesus says, “For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required:” (Luke 12:48).

But if you want to be technical, the thief on the cross did put forth a holy action by defending Jesus against an insult put forth by the other thief. The thief who acted correctly confessed Jesus and He did not deny Him.

I mean, how on Earth do you alter or change this passage below to fit your belief?

32 “Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32-33).​

See, friend. That is why I am not buying your selling. Passages like these have to go ignored in order to make your belief that justifies wrong doing even work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Living in sin (as opposed to occasional sin) cancels out the promises of God.

Israel had an everlasting and perpetual marriage covenant with God, but their constant sinning caused God to cancel that covenant.

God also promised the Israelites that they would enter the promised land (hence the name the PROMISED land) but when they sinned by murmuring against God, He kept everyone 20 years and older, from going in - after they died off, those left went in.

We have everlasting life after salvation, but living a lifestyle of sin (not an occasional sin that is repented of) cancels the promise.

Shalom.

I agree. I believe this occasional sin (by a faithful believer) is done unintentionally. A believer can stray or go prodigal for a time, and die spiritually, but they have to confess and forsake their sin in order to have spiritual life again. I also believe there are certain sins that are highly unacceptable to the Lord our God, as well. Ananias and Sapphira were each instantly killed by just one sin and they did not have a chance to confess and forsake of such sin, and yet they were condemned. So we should guard our hearts, minds, and actions against all forms of sin. We have to work our salvation with fear and trembling. But those in the OSAS camp do not need to worry about this because they believe they are forever saved and nothing they do can undo their salvation, even if they sin (which is a lie).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Pure white raiment (robes) are what the righteous saints are given, and are part of their wedding attire.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Believers get white robes, but can defile their robes - if they defile their robes, their names are blotted out of the book of life.

Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Jesus warned some churches in Revelation that many of them had soiled their robes, and some had lost them completely, and were naked.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

The man in Matthew 22 therefore had defiled his white raiment (which are the righteousness of saints) and was thrown out of the wedding of the lamb, and into hell as a lost sinner.

I agree. Well said. Except I believe that believers who justify sin will be cast into outer darkness before the judgment (whereby they will then be thrown into the Lake of Fire). I believe hell (or the place of torments) is for unbelievers who never truly accepted the Lord.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,490.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 22:
But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not
have on a wedding garment.

12 So he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?
And he was speechless.

13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, take him away,
and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

Salvation, it is often pictured as a garment (eg Revelation's white robes), because the salvation from Jesus covers your sins like clothes cover the shame of nakedness. It has had this picture back from Genesis 3.
Adam and Eve sinned, they attempted to cover their shame through their own works.
God rejected their works and provided clothing for them Himself.
It shows that #1. The cost of sin is death, even if it is another life substituting for your own, something dies due to your sin, in that case it was animals that God slew to use their skins.
and #2, it is an illustration of what God did for us through Jesus Christ. God provided a covering for our sins, like He provided clothing to cover Adam and Eve's shame.
If your sins are not covered by Jesus Christ, if your shame is exposed before the Lord, He has to count your sins against you and condemn you for them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation, it is often pictured as a garment, because the salvation from Jesus covers your sins like clothes cover the shame of nakedness. It has had this picture back from Genesis 3.
Adam and Eve sinned, they attempted to cover their shame through their own works.
It shows that #1. The cost of sin is death, even if it is another life substituting for your own, something dies due to your sin.
and #2, it is an illustration of what God did for us through Jesus Christ. God provided a covering for our sins, like He provided clothing to cover Adam and Eve's shame.
If your sins are not covered by Jesus Christ, if your shame is exposed before the Lord, He has to count your sins against you and condemn you for them.

Yes, it was THEIR works without God's sacrifice. Most Sola Scriptura Conditional Salvationists here are not pushing that we can be saved without God's sacrifice (Jesus Christ and faith in Him first for salvation). Most Sola Scriptura Conditional Salvationists realize we are initially and foundationally saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ. Most Conditional Salvationists believe it is the WORK OF GOD done through the believer AFTER they are saved by God's grace in regards to Sanctification as a part of God's plan of salvation. We cannot put Sanctification before God's grace. Neither can we do anything that God does not specifically tell us to do. God never told Adam and Eve to build those aprons made of vegetation. Granted, there are believers who like to do things that are not in Scripture (i.e. They are not Sola Scriptura). But we are not talking about them. I mean, what do you do with John 15:5? Jesus said that a branch that does not bear fruit is cut off and thrown into the fire. This is a branch that is tied to the vine. The vine is Jesus.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See, friend. That is why I am not buying your selling. Passages like these have to go ignored in order to make your belief that justifies wrong doing even work.

Well, you're the one who is ignoring John 3:16, the most famous verse of the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you're the one who is ignoring John 3:16, the most famous verse of the Bible.

But one is not believing in Jesus if they reject verses like Matthew 10:33.

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 10:33). (KJB).

This means salvation is conditioned upon not denying Jesus. For if we deny Him, He will deny us. In other words, we cannot reject the words of the Lord Jesus and say we believe and or trust in Him. That's an oxymoron. Jesus said, “And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?” (Luke 6:46).

Try re-reading John 12:48 sometime. Really pay attention to what it says. One part of this verse says that if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day. What words of Jesus can judge us on the last day? Oh, His words like in Matthew 5:28-30. Meaning, if we do not accept these words by Jesus in Matthew 5:28-30, they will condemn us. For Jesus warned that to look upon a woman in lust can cause one's whole body to be cast into hellfire. But if we believe what our Pastor said in that we can sin and still be saved by having a belief alone in Jesus, many today will believe that instead of Jesus because man likes to sin. To put it to you another way, they love their sin instead of loving Jesus; And what did Paul say about those who do not love Jesus? See: 1 Corinthians 16:22.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Salvation, it is often pictured as a garment (eg Revelation's white robes), because the salvation from Jesus covers your sins like clothes cover the shame of nakedness. It has had this picture back from Genesis 3.
It shows that #1. The cost of sin is death, even if it is another life substituting for your own, something dies due to your sin, in that case it was animals that God slew to use their skins.

Romans 13:14 says put on the Lord Jesus Christ (kind of like putting on clothes) and fulfill not the lusts of the flesh. Revelation talks about certain churches defiling one's garments and or how they are naked. This is in reference to their unholy conduct or sin and not because they did not believe in the finished work of Christ. Check the verses for yourself, and you will see. In fact, 1 John 1:7 basically says that if we walk in the light as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin. By the use of indirect wording found in 1 John 2:9-11, we learn that “walking in the light” is loving your brother. So the condition is that we must love our brother in order for the blood of Jesus to cleanse us from all sin. 1 John 3:10 and 1 John 3:15 confirms this truth, as well.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Well said. Except I believe that believers who justify sin will be cast into outer darkness before the judgment (whereby they will then be thrown into the Lake of Fire). I believe hell (or the place of torments) is for unbelievers who never truly accepted the Lord.
strawman who justifies sin ?

shall we continue in sin that grace may abound ?

may it never be !

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 22:
But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not
have on a wedding garment.

12 So he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?
And he was speechless.

13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, take him away,
and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

The blood of Christ, as remember, the garment is given by the King...

"They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Revelation 7:14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
strawman who justifies sin ?

shall we continue in sin that grace may abound ?

may it never be !

It is not a straw man if one believes king David was saved WHILE he committed his sins of adultery and murder. This is what most OSAS proponents believe. But the problem in this kind of thinking is a justification to sin because one is teaching they are still saved despite if they commit mortal sins. Even if they believed if one must eventually confess and forsake such sins, the deception is that one is still saved even with confessing and forsaking sin in the moment for a temporary amount of time. This ignores the proper prescription God gave us in how to deal with sin. 1 John 1:9 does not say you already forgiven but confess anyways. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,754.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The blood of Christ, as remember, the garment is given by the King...

"They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb." Revelation 7:14
More on the wedding garment parable, on February 10, 592 A.D. Saint Gregory went on to say "
All of you who belong to the Church and believe in God have already entered the wedding hall, but if they did not keep the grace of charity, they did not come with the bridal dress. Surely, my brethren, if anyone were invited to a human wedding, he would change his clothes and manifest by the very beauty of his clothes that he will rejoice with the bridegroom and the bride; he would blush to show himself with neglected clothes among the jubilant people celebrating this feast. And we who go to the wedding of God, we do not care to change the garment of our soul! Angels rejoice together when the elect ascend to heaven. In what state of mind do we then approach these spiritual feasts, we who do not wear the wedding dress that is charity, when it alone makes us look beautiful?

10. We must know that as we weave the garments in two directions, namely the warp and weft, so charity is based on two precepts, the love of God and the love of neighbor. It is written in effect: "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength, and your neighbor as yourself" (Mk 12: 30-31). We must note here that the Lord puts a measure to the love of the neighbor when he indicates to us: "You will love your neighbor as yourself", but that it does not set limits to the love of God, since He says to us, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your strength." For this precept does not regulate the measure of our love, but from what depth it must go when it tells us "everything". To love God really is to keep nothing for oneself from what is yours.

Whoever takes care of having the bridal gown for the wedding is therefore bound to observe these two precepts of charity. For this reason, according to the prophet Ezekiel, the vestibule of the gate of the city established on the mountain measures two cubits (see Ez 40,9); for the access of the heavenly city is open to us only if we keep good the love of God and neighbor in this Church of the earth, called vestibule of Heaven because it is still external to it. It is for the same reason that it is prescribed to dye the tabernacle curtains twice in scarlet (see Ex 26: 1). It is you, brothers, yes, it is you who are the hangings of the Tabernacle, because by faith, you are veiling the secrets of Heaven in your hearts. But for the tabernacle hangings a fabric dyed twice with scarlet must be used. Now scarlet has the appearance of fire. And what is charity, if not a fire? But this charity must be dyed twice, once by the love of God, another by the love of neighbor. For he who loves God, but neglects his neighbor to indulge in contemplation, is no doubt dyed scarlet, but not twice. On the other hand, he who loves his neighbor but forgets for his sake the contemplation of God, is well dyed with scarlet, but not twice. So that your charity may be dyed twice in scarlet, it must ignite, and the love of God, and love of neighbor; it must neither abandon the contemplation of God out of compassion for the neighbor, nor neglect the compassion for the neighbor by too much attachment to the contemplation of God. Thus, every man living among men must aspire to the one he desires without, however, losing interest in the one with whom he is running; and he must assist his neighbor without at all slowing down the race by which he hastens to God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even if you live a sinful life, you're still saved if you trust Jesus.

Look. Your not getting it. You are not dealing with the verses I put forth to you. By the replies you gave me: It gives me the impression that these verses don’t even exist for you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.