What is this necessary “Wedding Garment”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So in order to have life by having the Son, we have to keep His commandments.

Then no-one is saved because there's not a just man upon earth that doeth good and sinneth not. If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. No-one can keep His commandments.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then no-one is saved because there's not a just man upon earth that doeth good and sinneth not.

Well, here is what Ecclesiastes 7:20 says in the Good News Translation:

Ecclesiastes 7:20 GNT
"There is no one on earth who does what is right all the time and never makes a mistake."

In other words, this is speaking of the fact that a believer may do things that would not be classified as a sin that leads unto death (i.e. the Second Death or the Lake of Fire). Mistakes would fall under the category of hidden or secret faults as mentioned in Psalms 19:12. For there is a sin not unto death (1 John 5:16-17). An example of a sin not unto death is when Paul disobeyed the Spirit and went to Jerusalem. He was not condemned by this disobedience because his motivation in going to Jerusalem was to see the Jews in being saved. This is not talking about serious sins that lead unto spiritual death like lying, hating, stealing, murdering, fornicating, and getting drunk, etc.

Also, Ecclesiastes 7:20 was written during the time of the Old Testament, too (See Hebrews 11:40).

You said:
If we say that we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

What is helpful in understanding 1 John 1:8 is looking at its immediate context. 1 John 1:10 says if we say we have not sinned. 1 John 1:10 switches gears from 1 John 1:8 in regards to time; John talks about the declaration on committing sin in verse 8 (which is present tense) to a declaration on committing sin being a past declaration (with verse 10). Verse 10 is saying there are people who said they have not sinned (past tense). This is clearly a gnostic belief. Why? Well, most believers today hold to the idea that they have sinned as a part of their old life before coming to Christ (Regardless of whether they are “OSAS,” a “Sin and still be saved” type believer, or a “Conditional Salvationist”). So this clearly is a “gnostic belief” that John was warning the brethren about (See 1 John 2:26). 1 John 1:8 is a present declaration of sin. It is saying if we say we have no sin when we do sin (present tense). This has to be the interpretative understanding of this verse because 1 John 2:4 says if we say we know Him and do not keep His commandments we are a liar and the truth is not in us. The OSAS's interpretation on 1 John 1:8 does not work because it conflicts with a normal reading on 1 John 2:3-4. You cannot always be in sin (breaking God's commands) as a part of 1 John 1:8 and yet also fulfill 1 John 2:3 that says we can have an assurance of knowing Him if we keep His commandments. Especially when 1 John 2:4 says we are a liar and the truth is not in us if we break his commandments. In other words, if the OSAS interpretation on 1 John 1:8 was true, then I would be damned if I do by obeying God's commands (1 John 1:8) and yet I would be damned if I don't by not obeying God's commands (1 John 2:4).

In fact, the New English Translation says this for 1 John 1:8,

"If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8 NET).​

In other words, this verse is saying that if a person sins and says they do not bear the guilt of sin (in the sense that they will not have to face any wrath or Judgment from God over their sin) then they would be deceiving themselves and the truth would not be in them. This is exactly what the Eternal Security proposes. They are saying that they do not bear the guilt of any sin (destruction of their soul and body in hell fire) if they do sin because they believe their future sins are paid for by Jesus. They are saying, they do not bear the guilt or the punishment of sin at the final Judgment because of their belief on Jesus. In short, 1 John 1:8 is a denial of the existence of sin on some level. “If we say we have no sin (in the sense that it does not exist) we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8). Christian Scientists think sin is an illusion and does not exist at all. So this verse would apply to them. Eternal Security Proponents and those who deny that “Sin Can Separate a Believer from God” deny the existence of sin partially. They believe sin exists physically but they do not believe sin exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus has forgiven them of all their sin by their belief on Jesus. In fact, to see just how silly your argument actually is for 1 John 1:8, you would have to believe that you are sinning right now at this very moment in order for such a verse to be true because 1 John 1:8 is speaking in the present tense.

John prescribes that we do not think that sin is an illusion, and we are automatically saved, but John is telling us to "sin not" and go to our advocate Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1), and confess our sins so as to be forgiven of sin and to be cleansed of all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). How can you confess and be forgiven of sin if all your future sin is paid for? It makes no sense.

You can say that John is talking about a break of fellowship by one's sins and not a loss of salvation, but that would not be consistent with Scripture. 1 John 5:12 says he that has the Son has life, and he that does not have the Son does not have life.

You said:
No-one can keep His commandments.

Not true. For it is written,

5 “There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.” (Luke 1:5-6).

Revelation 22:14-15 says, “Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.”

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, here is what Ecclesiastes 7:20 says in the Good News Translation:

I don't believe in Good News Translation, I only believe in the KJV.

Here's the bottom line. Either you do an impossible amount of works (live a perfect life), OR you don't need to do any works at all (easy-believism). Those are really the only possibilities. No third option. Just those two extremes.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Here's the bottom line. Either you do an impossible amount of works (live a perfect life), OR you don't need to do any works at all (easy-believism). Those are really the only possibilities. No third option. Just those two extremes.
That sounds extreme, highly polarizing and unfounded. If you have stated your ideas in answering the
question proposed by the OP, which is how you understand the wedding garment, please draw your battle lines elsewhere. I would really appreciate the thread not be derailed. Thanks alot. I hope
that Bible Highlighter has spoken his piece (peace?) also. I do appreciate both of you taking the time
to contribute.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

or option 3 where we read we are saved by grace through faith and that results in good works which God has prepared beforehand for us to do. So faith without works is dead ie a dead faith. A real living faith produces good works/fruit. A good tree produces good fruit. Those in Christ bear much fruit and prove to be His Disciples. John 15:8

Ephesians 2:8-10
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

• Winner
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
or option 3 where we read we are saved by grace through faith and that results in good works which God has prepared beforehand for us to do.

Even if it results in good works, it is still 100% faith through which you're saved. It's not a third option.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Silly Uncle Wayne

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
✟102,646.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 22:
But when the king came in to see the guests, he saw a man there who did not
have on a wedding garment.

12 So he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?
And he was speechless.

13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, take him away,
and cast him into outer darkness; there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.
A Tuxedo?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Even if it results in good works, it is still 100% faith through which you're saved. It's not a third option.
I agree its through faith which produces the good works proving it is a salvific faith.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bruce Leiter

A sinner saved by God's astounding grace and love
Jun 16, 2018
West Michigan
Visit site
✟56,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22:

12 So he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?
And he was speechless.

This is a parable of Jesus showing that people need to trust only in the "garment" of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection to enter into the joyful celebration of Jesus wedding with us his bride. An outer place of darkness or fire full of grief is a description of hell, which I believe will be a place of unbelievers grieving over the absence of everything and everyone they depended on for meaning in life and can't have anymore.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
or option 3 where we read we are saved by grace through faith and that results in good

works which God has prepared beforehand for us to do. So faith without works is dead ie a dead faith. A real living faith produces good works/fruit. A good tree produces good fruit. Those in Christ bear much fruit and prove to be His Disciples. John 15:8

Ephesians 2:8-10
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

AMen!

The righteousness we have to enter heaven is given to us by Jesus but the fruits that we have this imputed righteousness is a desire to obey Jesus and allow Him to transform us into His likeness

We abide in the vine and grow fruit

• Agree
Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wedding garment is the holy spirit type; robe of righteousness (Gods NOT OUR OWN !)as in revelations etc its what Christ died to give to all who come to him (HIS WAY acts 2v38 etc).. Romans 8v9 .....if any man have not the Spirit of Christ he is NONE OF HIS )

as Jesus WARNED his disciples ... identify TRUE BELIEVERS... (as many praised God and said hallelujah etc and killed him. Religious types.)

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

package deal upon receiving the Holy Spirit;

most religious types don't have what Jesus said and still claim to be Christian !?

Lu 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

tossed out ..

John 3v5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

when a baby is born it cries out, when you are born again you cry out in the voice God gives (tongues= first identifier) pure undefilable.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wedding garment is the holy spirit type; robe of righteousness (Gods NOT OUR OWN !)as in revelations etc its what Christ died to give to all who come to him (HIS WAY acts 2v38 etc).. Romans 8v9 .....if any man have not the Spirit of Christ he is NONE OF HIS )

as Jesus WARNED his disciples ... identify TRUE BELIEVERS... (as many praised God and said hallelujah etc and killed him. Religious types.)

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

package deal upon receiving the Holy Spirit;

most religious types don't have what Jesus said and still claim to be Christian !?

Lu 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

tossed out ..

John 3v5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and [of] the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

when a baby is born it cries out, when you are born again you cry out in the voice God gives (tongues= first identifier) pure undefilable.

If I may add, Pope Saint Gregory the Great commented on this passage in his Homily 38:

9. But since you owe to the bounties of the Lord to have already entered the house of the wedding, that is to say in the holy Church, take care, my brothers, that the King, on entering, find nothing blamable in the habit of your soul. Indeed, we must consider with great fear what the text adds immediately after: "The king entered to see those who were at the table, and there he saw a man who was not wearing the nuptial dress." What symbolism Shall we attribute, dear brothers, to this nuptial dress? Shall we say that it represents baptism, or faith? But who could have entered the wedding hall without baptism or faith? For he who has not yet believed is by the very fact outside [of the Church]. What must we understand by the nuptial dress, if not the charity? He indeed enters for the wedding, but he enters without the nuptial robe, the one who is in the holy Church and has faith, but lacks charity.

It is with good reason that charity is called a wedding dress, since our Creator wore it when it came to the wedding to unite with the Church. Is it not by virtue of his only love that God sent his only Son to unite the souls of the elect? Hence the word of John: "God so loved the world that he gave us his only Son" (Jn 3:16). He who came to men out of love made it known that his love is the nuptial dress.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I also believe the KJB is the perfect and pure Word of God for our day, and it should be our final Word of authority. I believe the GNT says the same thing as the KJB in this instance.

You said:

You are misinformed about believers who hold to the biblical view that a person is saved by God's grace through faith which is then followed by the Sanctification Process. You do not have to do an impossible amount of works and be perfect in every way possible as a part of the Sanctification Process in regards to salvation. You have to put away mortal sin that the Bible condemns. Non-mortal sins do not condemn a believer. My guess is that you think it is impossible to even overcome mortal sin. But with God, all things are possible. Why else would Jesus tell us to strive to enter the narrow gate? How does that work with a sin and still be saved type belief? I mean, how do you understand Matthew 7:23, and Matthew 7:26-27? This does not sound like Jesus is teaching that we can sin and still be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟214,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I also believe the KJB is the perfect and pure Word of God for our day, and it should be our final Word of authority. I believe the GNT says the same thing as the KJB in this instance.

You are misinformed about believers who hold to the biblical view that a person is saved by God's grace through faith which is then followed by the Sanctification Process. You do not have to do an impossible amount of works and be perfect in every way possible as a part of the Sanctification Process in regards to salvation. You have to put away mortal sin that the Bible condemns. Non-mortal sins do not condemn a believer. My guess is that you think it is impossible to even overcome mortal sin. But with God, all things are possible. Why else would Jesus tell us to strive to enter the narrow gate? How does that work with a sin and still be saved type belief? I mean, how do you understand Matthew 7:23, and Matthew 7:26-27? This does not sound like Jesus is teaching that we can sin and still be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 22:

And he was speechless.

Pure white raiment (robes) are what the righteous saints are given, and are part of their wedding attire.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Believers get white robes, but can defile their robes - if they defile their robes, their names are blotted out of the book of life.

Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Jesus warned some churches in Revelation that many of them had soiled their robes, and some had lost them completely, and were naked.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

The man in Matthew 22 therefore had defiled his white raiment (which are the righteousness of saints) and was thrown out of the wedding of the lamb, and into hell as a lost sinner.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the clothes are the righteous works that tell that person is righteous.

Right.

Pure white raiment (robes) are what the righteous saints are given, and are part of their wedding attire.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Rev 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Believers get white robes, but can defile their robes - if they defile their robes, their names are blotted out of the book of life.

Rev 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Jesus warned some churches in Revelation that many of them had soiled their robes, and some had lost them completely, and were naked.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

The man in Matthew 22 therefore had defiled his white raiment (which are the righteousness of saints) and was thrown out of the wedding of the lamb, and into hell as a lost sinner.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I should have included the preceding verse:

Matthew 22:10. So those servants went out into the highways and gathered together all whom they found, both bad and good. And the wedding hall was filled with guests.

The good and bad represents the wheat and the tares.

The man who was cast out for not having a wedding garment, was a tare.

Wedding garments/ white raiment, are the righteousness of saints.

What’s sad is those in Revelation 3:17-18 were naked, but thought they were clothed.

They did something to defile their garments, that they mistakenly thought was ok with God.

In other words, they believed they could live a sinful life, and remain in Christ.

They were deceived by OSAS into thinking grace was a license to sin, with no eternal consequences.

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And you got to keep reading.

John 3:20 says, “For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.”

So believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus, but it is believing everything He taught, said, and did, too.

Everlasting life is not a super power or a magic wish that is granted to you like from a genie.

Jesus is the source of everlasting life.
For Scripture says Jesus alone has immortality.

14 “...our Lord Jesus Christ:
16 Who only hath immortality,...”
(1 Timothy 6:14) (1 Timothy 6:16).​

So in order to have immortality or eternal life, we must abide in the Son. For Scripture says:

“He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.” (1 John 5:12).

So we have to have the Son in order to have life (i.e. eternal life). For he (the person) who does not have the Son does not have life.

What is one way we can have an assurance in knowing the Son or the Lord?

1 John 2:3 says,

“And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.”​

So in order to have life by having the Son, we have to keep His commandments.

1 John 2:4 says,

“He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”

Living in sin (as opposed to occasional sin) cancels out the promises of God.

Israel had an everlasting and perpetual marriage covenant with God, but their constant sinning caused God to cancel that covenant.

God also promised the Israelites that they would enter the promised land (hence the name the PROMISED land) but when they sinned by murmuring against God, He kept everyone 20 years and older, from going in - after they died off, those left went in.

We have everlasting life after salvation, but living a lifestyle of sin (not an occasional sin that is repented of) cancels the promise.

Shalom.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.