What is this country coming to?

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Meh, doesn't really surprise me... 'Merica! To be fair, they've been somewhat doing similar things here up in Canada; but, like the cool guys we are that doesn't afraid of anything, many moons ago our Members of Parliament took measures to protect us from such laws being created.

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree. If any of those kids got someone sick, people these days would quick take them to court and get the parents in the pocket book.

It's more of a look at the state of American people, than it is on the police in Midway, GA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, the police are enforcing the law. Can't blame the police (well you can I guess.), they're just doing what the law is for that state in this particular video.

Eh, there is a such thing as abusing power or using power unnecessarily.

A band of mostly "volunteer" police in a small town in my county actually ended up hurting a lot of businesses in the city. They were pulling over cars for extremely small violations. Like having something dangling on the review mirror, or having a trailer hitch ball located in front of the license plate, or having decals where decals technically aren't supposed to be. They also pulled people over and ticketed them for going 5 miles UNDER the speed limit.

They were enforcing the law, sure. But they were hurting the community more than they were helping it. People from my much larger city knew this was going on and if we decided to go to the coast, we'd take a longer route instead of going through the small town. Which really hurt the businesses there that relied a lot on commuters.

I really see no need to shut down a lemonade stand ran by a couple kids trying to earn a few bucks. The police could have turned a blind eye to it just as easily as the police in most cities turn a blind eye to somebody speeding 5 over, or having a tow hitch by the plate, or having slightly tinted windows. America doesn't need more bureaucracy. If every single law in every single state was enforced, we'd all be in homeless shelters.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Our lives would be absolutely awful if the police enforced every single stupid law on the books to the letter. Most people commit multiple felonies during the day without even thinking about it.

One couldn't even know all the laws regarding their day-to-day activities even if one tried. There are just too many of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Laws are laws, even if kids broke them. But it's technically the parents fault for letting the kids break the law, the parents should be aware of their laws in the town. If they were, none of this would have happened.

The police weren't hurting the community, the law for that community is. The police can't do much about that law, only enforce it.

The people everyone needs to be upset with is the people who made the law. Not the people who have to enforce it. The Police have to go by what the law is. What about the people who made it? Why isn't anyone talking about how they're damaging the community by not letting them have their lemonade stand? How come it's the police officers fault for just enforcing the law that someone else made?

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's THE LAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW! That absolves the police of all blame and means that those scofflaw children got what they deserved.

*temporary break from self-ban of CF* I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.

Actually, Mac, it does absolve the police. If the police cherry picked which laws to enforce, then are they doing their job? You know...enforce the law?

You don't like the law? Good! Petition the local government to do their job and change it! That is how we get things done in this country.

Now as far as the merits of this law- I think it is rather valid to have a law like this on the books. Why? Because if not, then any crackpot can put up a 'lemonade' stand on the side of the road and sell your choice of poison. There are plenty of other ways for kids to make money, anyways.

MacFall said:
One couldn't even know all the laws regarding their day-to-day activities even if one tried. There are just too many of them.

"I didn't know" isn't a valid excuse for breaking the law. It is the responsibility of the citizen to know the laws of the land. There are plenty of free resources to look up the law.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh, there is a such thing as abusing power or using power unnecessarily.

A band of mostly "volunteer" police in a small town in my county actually ended up hurting a lot of businesses in the city. They were pulling over cars for extremely small violations. Like having something dangling on the review mirror, or having a trailer hitch ball located in front of the license plate, or having decals where decals technically aren't supposed to be. They also pulled people over and ticketed them for going 5 miles UNDER the speed limit.

They were enforcing the law, sure. But they were hurting the community more than they were helping it. People from my much larger city knew this was going on and if we decided to go to the coast, we'd take a longer route instead of going through the small town. Which really hurt the businesses there that relied a lot on commuters.

I really see no need to shut down a lemonade stand ran by a couple kids trying to earn a few bucks. The police could have turned a blind eye to it just as easily as the police in most cities turn a blind eye to somebody speeding 5 over, or having a tow hitch by the plate, or having slightly tinted windows. America doesn't need more bureaucracy. If every single law in every single state was enforced, we'd all be in homeless shelters.

Actually, it is a failure of our society that every law is not enforced. If it is passed as law, it should be enforced. That is how our system works. We elect people to make laws. They make the laws, and have the enforcers, well, enforce the law. If we allow people to break the laws without punishment, then we are an unjust and hypocritical society.

That is why we should be careful to voice our opinions as citizens. If we do not like the laws that are being made, we should lobby our elected officials to change them. if they refuse, we vote in new people to change them. Simply ignoring the law or giving people leniency doesn't do anything for our society except teach our people that it is okay to break the laws which you don't like. At that point, then doesn't a bank robber and speeder become the same philosophically? Both are knowingly breaking laws for their own benefit at the risk of harming themselves or others in society.

Our lives would be absolutely awful if the police enforced every single stupid law on the books to the letter. Most people commit multiple felonies during the day without even thinking about it.
i highly doubt most people commit multiple felonies daily. Unless you think most people are gun wielding, drug selling rapists.....

Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
i highly doubt most people commit multiple felonies daily. Unless you think most people are gun wielding, drug selling rapists.....

Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean it isn't true.

There are so many laws on the books in the U.S. that the government has officially lost count.

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

Upvote 0