New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

This seems to state that the "The World" is ONLY the people who " believe" (i.e have encountered the gospel, have read it, understood it, and believed it without any doubt). Those are the only people God loves and he thinks that all the rest of us are mongrels or worthless dung that should have never been born.

So what percentage of the human population does he actually love? Who are the incredibly lucky lotto winners who received faith from the spirit?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"The world" in John refers to the fallen world - creation under the curse of God's wrath, rebellious and sinful people who are living in darkness.

God did not simply condemn the world. He loved the world by sending his Son Jesus to save a particular people out of the world and, beginning with them, to create a new world out of the wreckage of the old.

God loves everyone in a sense, but he loves a peculiar people in such a way that he works salvation for them. Who are the particular objects of God's saving love? As John says: whosoever believes.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Who are the incredibly lucky lotto winners who received faith from the spirit?
If any of His People Call on Lady Luck (Chance/ Fate) ,
Yahweh Hates that !

Yahweh Loved us when we were still His Enemies ! We all were DEAD in trespasses and sin - and
HE STILL LOVED US ! (HE CHOSE TO!) (for no reason at all)

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"The world" in John refers to the fallen world - creation under the curse of God's wrath, rebellious and sinful people who are living in darkness.

God did not simply condemn the world. He loved the world by sending his Son Jesus to save a particular people out of the world and, beginning with them, to create a new world out of the wreckage of the old.

God loves everyone in a sense, but he loves a peculiar people in such a way that he works salvation for them. Who are the particular objects of God's saving love? As John says: whosoever believes.

But belief is not a choice. There are many indications in scripture that it is a gift that only some people receive for a mysterious reason.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." -Ephesians 2:8-9

"to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit" - 1 Corinthians 12:9

Can anyone really explain what it means to "believe"? Most Christians believe that it is a huge list of spiritual milestones that you have to meet and if you faith to make sufficient progress Christ will say:

"Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" -Matthews 7:23

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
But belief is not a choice. There are many indications in scripture that it is a gift that only some people receive for a mysterious reason.

Sort of a good point.

It is Truth, as Written ,

God Gives the Power to BECOME Children of God to some. They then either DO,
or DON'T.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
---Staff Edit---

I asked what approximate percentage "the people" are. It is likely a very small percentage because I have never met a spiritual ascetic who was so completely otherworldly that he/she did not love some of the things you listed.

There are also people who have never heard of Jesus but are intensely interested in the spirit world...who are damned because they never heard of Jesus....

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." -Ephesians 2:8-9

"to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit" - 1 Corinthians 12:9

Indeed. Saving faith is a gift from God which was purchased for the bride by Jesus on the cross.

Can anyone really explain what it means to "believe"? Most Christians believe that it is a huge list of spiritual milestones that you have to meet and if you faith to make sufficient progress Christ will say:

"Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" -Matthews 7:23

I like the Westminster Catechism's (larger) answer to this one:

Q 72 - What is justifying faith?
A. Justifying faith is a saving grace, wrought in the heart of a sinner by the Spirit and Word of God, whereby he, being convinced of his sin and misery, and of the disability in himself and all other creatures to recover him out of his lost condition, not only assenteth to the truth of the promise of the gospel, but receiveth and resteth upon Christ and his righteousness, therein held forth, for pardon of sin, and for the accepting and accounting of his person righteous in the sight of God for salvation.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

This seems to state that the "The World" is ONLY the people who " believe" (i.e have encountered the gospel, have read it, understood it, and believed it without any doubt). Those are the only people God loves and he thinks that all the rest of us are mongrels or worthless dung that should have never been born.

So what percentage of the human population does he actually love? Who are the incredibly lucky lotto winners who received faith from the spirit?

Anyone can receive faith. It's there for the asking. There is just such an example in the new testament.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mar 9:24 - Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

The man prayed with tears that his lack of faith would be healed.

• Winner
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
There are also people who have never heard of Jesus but are intensely interested in the spirit world...who are damned because they never heard of Jesus....
Sorry, no. This is contrary to what is written in God's Word.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I asked what approximate percentage "the people" are. It is likely a very small percentage because I have never met a spiritual ascetic who was so completely otherworldly that he/she did not love some of the things you listed.

Sorry, no. Asceticism is not a Christian/ true spiritual practice nor a way to live God's Way .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sort of a good point.

It is Truth, as Written ,

God Gives the Power to BECOME Children of God to some. They then either DO,
or DON'T.

but you can't just say "I want to be a child of God!" You either meet the requirements or you do not.

If you are trying to say that salvation is just a matter of allegiance then it would be incredibly simple and easy. If it was just a matter of not hating Jesus then the club wouldn't be so exclusive.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
but you can't just say "I want to be a child of God!" You either meet the requirements or you do not.
'sort of' ..... See in the Bible for the description of children of God given by God Himself.

No one meets the requirements the way you seem to mean, no, not one person.

I don't know where you are coming from, who taught you as a child or later in life. The wrong teachings are common though, and once identified, may help take steps towards learning the truth, for everyone who is seeking the truth, and keeps seeking the truth, does indeed find the truth, and the truth sets them free (Jesus is the Truth).

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

If you are trying to say that salvation is just a matter of allegiance then it would be incredibly simple and easy. If it was just a matter of not hating Jesus then the club wouldn't be so exclusive.

The door to heaven is open to any sinner who wants to be a child of God through Jesus Christ.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, no. Asceticism is not a Christian/ true spiritual practice nor a way to live God's Way .

Is there anyone in scripture who made it to heaven and WASN'T tough as nails?

This is not a criticism. I can't think of any weaklings and pathetic losers whom God did not despise. Even Job was tough enough not to blame God...something we all end up doing for even as little as 5 seconds. Elijah was no joke either despite his depression.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm confused are you saying that you can get to heaven without ever being a Christian?
As written in Scripture - see for many examples all the people in the TORAH , Old Testament, Psalms and Prophets who
are set apart by Yahweh for Himself, His Own Testimony,
circumcised of heart not by human hands.

Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
'sort of' ..... See in the Bible for the description of children of God given by God Himself.

No one meets the requirements the way you seem to mean, no, not one person.

I don't know where you are coming from, who taught you as a child or later in life. The wrong teachings are common though, and once identified, may help take steps towards learning the truth, for everyone who is seeking the truth, and keeps seeking the truth, does indeed find the truth, and the truth sets them free (Jesus is the Truth).

Nobody ever taught me anything and now I have to figure everything out on my own. I was treated like I was retarded my entire life.

In case you wonder why I am bitter and distrusting.

• Prayers
Reactions: Tempura
Upvote 0

DarkSoul999

Aug 5, 2017
New Britain
✟37,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As written in Scripture - see for many examples all the people in the TORAH , Old Testament, Psalms and Prophets who
are set apart by Yahweh for Himself, His Own Testimony,
circumcised of heart not by human hands.

But aren't the prophets special exclusions?

What about the little old lady who ran the town pottery barn 4000 years ago?

Upvote 0