What is the theology of putting on the mind of Christ?

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know that Hesychasm is so little practiced. It was one reason why I was considering Orthodoxy.

Hesychasm is practiced within monastic communities. For secular Orthodox, our path is different. We're not called to a path dedicated to contemplation, but rather living out our vocation in Christ within the world. I've been posting this desert father story in a number of places over the last few days about St. Anthony is told to visit a cobbler about humility and spiritual enlightenment. So while I'm doing a system upgrade for my hospital, I am praying and practicing chanting for Sunday.

Full of Grace and Truth: St. Anthony and the Cobbler

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I didn't know that Hesychasm is so little practiced. It was one reason why I was considering Orthodoxy.

Well, aside from the fact that the monastic vocation can be very compelling, there is what I would call an increasingly widespread practice which I think my friend Chrysostomos might forgive me for calling “semihesychasm”, popularized in Russia in the 19th century by books such as anonymous The Way of the Pilgrim, and more respectably, On the Prayer of Jesus, by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, which was written specifically for laity, as opposed to The Arena, which was a manual he wrote for monastics (he was an abbot or hegumen and later, as is often the case, a bishop), and within Greek Orthodoxy Metropolitan Kallistos Ware has done much to popularize the saying of the Jesus Prayer as a continuous devotional in the 20th century.

The difference mainly is that monastic-level hesychasm is a full time thing, sometimes with breathing postures and other techniques, and there is an increased risk of prelest, which is spiritual delusion, as well as accidental damage to health, so it is best if this occurs in the safety of a cenobitic monastery where you have experienced elders to train monks, who basically pray full time, and on the side engage in various obediences to ensure the economic viability of the monastery, such as hosting pilgrims and manufacturing material for use in the church.

However, laity are not deprived of the joy of our Lord, or the benefits of the Jesus Prayer, and have different struggles than monastics. So the extreme form of hesychasm resulting from full time vocational practice under the training and supervision of more experienced monks, which is by no means required for salvation or even for divine joy, is unrealistic in the distracted secular world, but we living in the world have our own struggles a bit different from the monastics. So I would not let that get you down.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you. I can't leave my sister and my own health is in decline, but we will move soon to a new place. She and I both want to create as much as possible, a monastery like atmosphere. She'll do what she can and I want to have regular prayer time with her. I thought about the Liturgy of the Hours (as Lutherans have that as well). I work away from home two days a week, but that's all I have due to disability. I want to put my disability to work for me. So I thought about aside from our common prayers, if I could begin an additional practice, I would like to do so.
I am attracted to hesychasm from what I have read. I suffer from sensory and nerve issues. To the degree that I have seriously considered not being Lutheran or Orthodox. The 'smells and bells' of both Liturgical traditions actually causes me physical pain. I am more naturally inclined to the silence of the Latin Mass therefore. But the problem I had as a Roman Catholic was with the employment of the imagination during prayer. Not only was it difficult for me to undertake (my imagination doesn't work that way), I also found that when I achieved a degree of some sort of vision, I was stressed and strained. A lot of the time I don't even pray aloud for this reason and have thought, 'Well, am I really praying', because much of what I do as 'prayer' is relaxing in the perception or knowledge of God's presence. The Eastern Hesychastic idea of empty my mind, awaiting God, and the hidden God are very appealing to me.
Well, aside from the fact that the monastic vocation can be very compelling, there is what I would call an increasingly widespread practice which I think my friend Chrysostomos might forgive me for calling “semihesychasm”, popularized in Russia in the 19th century by books such as anonymous The Way of the Pilgrim, and more respectably, On the Prayer of Jesus, by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, which was written specifically for laity, as opposed to The Arena, which was a manual he wrote for monastics (he was an abbot or hegumen and later, as is often the case, a bishop), and within Greek Orthodoxy Metropolitan Kallistos Ware has done much to popularize the saying of the Jesus Prayer as a continuous devotional in the 20th century.

The difference mainly is that monastic-level hesychasm is a full time thing, sometimes with breathing postures and other techniques, and there is an increased risk of prelest, which is spiritual delusion, as well as accidental damage to health, so it is best if this occurs in the safety of a cenobitic monastery where you have experienced elders to train monks, who basically pray full time, and on the side engage in various obediences to ensure the economic viability of the monastery, such as hosting pilgrims and manufacturing material for use in the church.

However, laity are not deprived of the joy of our Lord, or the benefits of the Jesus Prayer, and have different struggles than monastics. So the extreme form of hesychasm resulting from full time vocational practice under the training and supervision of more experienced monks, which is by no means required for salvation or even for divine joy, is unrealistic in the distracted secular world, but we living in the world have our own struggles a bit different from the monastics. So I would not let that get you down.

Upvote 0

Bob_1000

Jul 30, 2021
Mid-West
✟20,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is the theology of putting on the mind of Christ?

Is it obtainable in our lifetime?

Thank you for your ideas and support.

God bless you.
There are two types of minds in the Bible, the carnal mind and the spiritual mind. The mind of Christ is the spiritual mind and yes it is attainable in our lifetime.

1Co 2:16 (KJV) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1Co 3:1 (KJV) And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.

Paul had the mind of Christ but the Christians in verse 3 had the carnal mind.

Upvote 0