Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When you're hungry, scared and worrying about being homeless or getting shot and countless other worries it is hard to learn. Your first priority is to survive. Plus some are ignorant of what education can do for you and most poor people can't afford college anyway, so why bother?

And there are bad teachers and/or bad school.
No, home schooling is not the answer. I was home schooled. My parents didn't know how to teach and we were housekeepers and nannies to other siblings and we basically just got taught Christianity. I had to teach myself to read and write.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What does "poor and disadvantaged" have to do with it? Why would financially poor students have any less personal responsibility than any other students?

I think that your use of these terms (one of which I completely reject, as I do the existence of Bigfoot) is part of the problem. We have lowered the bar of expectation for some kids, and they know we have. They live down to our expectations.
You don't believe there are disadvantaged people? Do you live in la la land?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you're hungry, scared and worrying about being homeless or getting shot and countless other worries it is hard to learn. Your first priority is to survive. Plus some are ignorant of what education can do for you and most poor people can't afford college anyway, so why bother?

And there are bad teachers and/or bad school.
No, home schooling is not the answer. I was home schooled. My parents didn't know how to teach and we were housekeepers and nannies to other siblings and we basically just got taught Christianity. I had to teach myself to read and write.

Are you projecting your personal experience on everyone?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Just an anecdote.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When you're hungry, scared and worrying about being homeless or getting shot and countless other worries it is hard to learn. Your first priority is to survive.

We have our Godless educational system to thank for these conditions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ah yes, because we all know that the flourishing countries of the world are the theocracies, and the hellholes are those that are most secularized. :rolleyes:

And we have our godless education system to thank for what conditions, exactly? The highest educational attainment rates ever? The lowest crime rates in decades? The lowest teen pregnancy rate ever? Exponential increases in science, medicine, and technology?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah yes, because we all know that the flourishing countries of the world are the theocracies, and the hellholes are those that are most secularized. :rolleyes:

And we have our Godless education system to thank for what conditions, exactly? The highest educational attainment rates ever? The lowest crime rates in decades? The lowest teen pregnancy rate ever? Exponential increases in science, medicine, and technology?

Sorry, I was reviewing our problems, not our achievements. Pretty grim, and mostly preventable by following God's way of life.

We have achievements in medicine because so many are sick. Sadly many of those sick don't have access to those 'achievements'.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is an achievement not simply the decrease or conquering of a problem?

Our problems are more or less persistent and more are popping up all the time. We tend to make a business of our problems rather than making them go away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Our problems are more or less persistent and more are popping up all the time.
Not true at all. Humanity continues to make steady progress in nearly every measurable way, and I'm content with that. It's the best time to be alive. I can't really ask for more than that.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not true at all. Humanity continues to make steady progress in nearly every measurable way, and I'm content with that. It's the best time to be alive. I can't really ask for more than that.

I think we're in the "lull before the storm". :eek:

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you read the sentence I bolded in the quote my post was in response to?

Sure I did. That the CIA writes the books and stuff. That's what I was talking about. So jump through the cia hoops so the kid can get his little slip of paper...but he is also going to get a real eduacation because of the info that the parent provides in addition to the cia materials. lol

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would change "educational" to "world" to more accurately describe it.
We live in a fallen world, and those conditions exist whether it is involved with education or not.

Upvote 0