Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'm curious about peoples thoughts on Mark 8:24. What is the meaning of the blind man seeing men as trees?

I heard something on that not long ago, about the significance of trees, and it made perfect sense. Now I can't remember... :( I'll ask tomorrow at church.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious about peoples thoughts on Mark 8:24. What is the meaning of the blind man seeing men as trees?
I don't see any underlying significance in that at all. We must not read into a verse some underlying spiritual meaning that isn't there. The man was partially healed and he saw distorted images of people. He reported it to Jesus, and so Jesus ministered to him again to fully restore his sight.

What it does show is that physical healing can be gradual and one dose of ministry might not be enough to achieve the full result. That is the fairly simple and obvious reading of the verse.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He was healed too good.......He saw in the spirit.... After being touched the second time...he came back to natural.

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water. Every good tree bringeth forth good fruit. And ye shall know them by the fruit they bare......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The man was partially healed and he saw distorted images of people. He reported it to Jesus,.. Jesus ministered to him again to fully restore his sight..

I'm with you. I think the blind man's dawning vision was initially blurry. The people appeared stiff & lacked definition (like a plain tree trunk).
I can't remember, & wonder tho, if the man had been blind since birth.. what was his frame of reference for recognizing/referencing trees (?) Or am I forgetting the blind man's backstory (?)

Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm with you. I think the blind man's dawning vision was initially blurry. The people appeared stiff & lacked definition (like a plain tree trunk).
I can't remember, & wonder tho, if the man had been blind since birth.. what was his frame of reference for recognizing/referencing trees (?) Or am I forgetting the blind man's backstory (?)
The reference doesn't say that he was blind from birth. The fact that he could refer to trees implies that he once was able to see but went blind some time in his life.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟800,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus presents living parables to help us remember the spiritual meaning, Jesus just got through talking to the twelve about limited understanding:

Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18 Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don’t you remember? 19 When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”

“Twelve,” they replied.

20 “And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?”

They answered, “Seven.”

21 He said to them, “Do you still not understand?”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums