What is the root of sin, or sin behind all other sins?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟559,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the unbeliever it is their fallen spiritual nature which has the full support of the unrenewed mind and flesh.
In the believer who has a divine nature and cannot sin from that spirit, it is the unrenewed mind and uncrucified flesh.
And then there is the devil taking advantage of these weaknesses.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟559,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have a point when suggesting pride.
John said, "all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life."

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,658.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was thinking about this and whether it is pride or unbelief, and I was thinking it might be pride, that pride is what is behind unbelief when a person doesn't want to trust in Christ for righteousness?

Any thoughts?
This is the Word:
1 John 2:16
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟84,331.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was thinking about this and whether it is pride or unbelief, and I was thinking it might be pride, that pride is what is behind unbelief when a person doesn't want to trust in Christ for righteousness?

Any thoughts?

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

In verse 12, Paul says that everyone sinned — that’s in the past tense. We all sinned when Adam sinned, because his sin counted for all his descendants. Because of what he did, we all sin and die.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Sin can only produce sin.

We are all heading to hell, but by God's grace, some are saved. Grace is something we receive that we do not deserve. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In the unbeliever it is their fallen spiritual nature which has the full support of the unrenewed mind and flesh.
In the believer who has a divine nature and cannot sin from that spirit, it is the unrenewed mind and uncrucified flesh.
And then there is the devil taking advantage of these weaknesses.

Ok, so what is the "flesh", biblically speaking.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,658.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The flesh is the flesh body with it's unregenerated mind and appetites that against the Holy Spirit. That is why we must be born again by the Holy Spirit.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟559,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it can be best defined by the works it produces.
Gal 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Any thoughts?
Pride is correct.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
Yes. Pride, not wanting to recognize anything above or superior to ourselves, naturally opposes faith in God. This situation is foolish, absurd, unreasonable, and the condition we're all born into.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
A servant easily pulled out stump. Then the master had him pull out bigger stump. It took him hour. Next, the master had the servant tackle a even bigger stump. He wrested to pull it out for hours, and couldn't. Master called all his servants. Said, you saw my servant try to pull out last stump and couldn't. That's how sin takes root. It digs deeper and deeper, until its impossible to get rid of. Epistle John 3:6. Who so ever abides in Him sins not; who so ever sins hath not seen Him; neither known Him. 3:7. Little children, let no man deceive you; he that does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. 3:8. He that commits sin is of the devil, for the devil sins from the beginning. Habitual sinners don't care, and won't repent sins to God. Those who love, and serve God, do repent. Those living a habitual lifestyle of sin , the sin roots deeper and deeper. The kingdom of heaven is out of reach for the spirtualty dead. Many people go through wide gate. Sheol is hell, its holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked. Thier is gulf separating paradise and sheol. Read Luke chapter 16, Richman and Lazarus.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
It's selfishness. Our will over God's.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Any thoughts?
Desire that refuses to submit to God's will.

James 1:14&15
14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

• Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0