What is the Roman Catholic understanding of Monasticism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10459a.htm
Monasticism or monachism, literally the act of "dwelling alone" (Greek monos, monazein, monachos), has come to denote the mode of life pertaining to persons living in seclusion from the world, under religious vows and subject to a fixed rule, as monks, friars, nuns, or in general as religious. The basic idea of monasticism in all its varieties is seclusion or withdrawal from the world or society. The object of this is to achieve a life whose ideal is different from and largely at variance with that pursued by the majority of mankind; and the method adopted, no matter what its precise details may be, is always self-abnegation or organized asceticism. Taken in this broad sense monachism may be found in every religious system which has attained to a high degree of ethical development, such as Brahmin, Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, and Moslem religions, and even in the sytem of those modern communistic societies, often anti-theological in theory, which are a special feature of recent social development especially in America. Hence it is claimed that a form of life which flourishes in environments so diverse must be the expression of a principle inherent in human nature and rooted therein no less deeply than the principle of domesticity, though obviously limited to a far smaller portion of mankind. This article and its two accompanying articles, EASTERN MONASTICISM and WESTERN MONASTICISM, deal with the monastic order strictly so called as distinct from the "religious orders" such as the friars, canons regular, clerks regular, and the more recent congregations. For information as to these see RELIGIOUS ORDERS, and the article on the particular order or congregation required.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is not that much difference between the Catholic and Orthodox understanding of monasticism, I think. Monasticism was started in the West in the 6th century by St. Benedict of Nursia, who set up the Benedictine rules that are still in use today. He was obviously inspired by the Egyptian Fathers, but his rules were, I understand, slightly more "open to the world" and more emphasis on economic self -sufficiency through productive work in the monastery. He also gave much importance to the community, and this characteristic remained: we don't have a tradition of monks living alone.

Then we had the centuries of the Irish monks going all over Europe, basically Christianising the ex-barbarian lands and salvaging what was left of classical culture and learning.

Through all this, Western monasticism is a bit more community-oriented, work-oriented, art-and -science-oriented, and extrovert than the Orthodox - but the differences are not essential, I think.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Pretty much the same as Eastern Catholic monasticism.

Yep, except "western" monasticism was heavily influenced by St. Benedict of Nursia. His influence is still evident today in the way monasteries and abbeys are organised and such.

Upvote 0

silouanathonite

Apr 14, 2006
Dallas
✟8,158.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Republican
There is not that much difference between the Catholic and Orthodox understanding of monasticism, I think. Monasticism was started in the West in the 6th century by St. Benedict of Nursia, who set up the Benedictine rules that are still in use today. He was obviously inspired by the Egyptian Fathers, but his rules were, I understand, slightly more "open to the world" and more emphasis on economic self -sufficiency through productive work in the monastery. He also gave much importance to the community, and this characteristic remained: we don't have a tradition of monks living alone.

Then we had the centuries of the Irish monks going all over Europe, basically Christianising the ex-barbarian lands and salvaging what was left of classical culture and learning.

Through all this, Western monasticism is a bit more community-oriented, work-oriented, art-and -science-oriented, and extrovert than the Orthodox - but the differences are not essential, I think.
My experience with Orthodox monasticism is that it is also community oriented, and work oriented, but most essentially it is a life of prayer and seeking communion with God.

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My experience with Orthodox monasticism is that it is also community oriented, and work oriented, but most essentially it is a life of prayer and seeking communion with God.
Shouldn't this be the life of all Christians though?...But I understand what you are saying...yes, I would think it a good general statement to say that most monastics in the Western Church spend a great deal of time in prayer/contemplation/meditation/etc....

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello everyone,

What is the Roman Catholic understanding/development of monasticism? Thank you for your help.
The concept, at the very basic, is that if someone believes in God then they will pray.

Monasticism, at its core is about prayer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.