What is the "restitution" of all things?

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Act 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

How does the following verse effect the pretrib doctrine?

What is the "restitution" of all things? Is this a reference to the removal of the curse?

Acts 3:21

(CJB) He has to remain in heaven until the time comes for restoring everything, as God said long ago, when he spoke through the holy prophets.

(ESV) whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago.

(Geneva) Whome the heauen must containe vntill the time that all thinges be restored, which God had spoken by the mouth of all his holy Prophets since the world began.

(Greek NT TR) ον δει ουρανον μεν δεξασθαι αχρι χρονων αποκαταστασεως παντων ων ελαλησεν ο θεος δια στοματος παντων αγιων αυτου προφητων απ αιωνος

(GW) Heaven must receive Jesus until the time when everything will be restored as God promised through his holy prophets long ago.

(KJV) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

(KJV+) WhomG3739 the heavenG3772 mustG1163 (G3303) receiveG1209 untilG891 the timesG5550 of restitutionG605 of all things,G3956 whichG3739 GodG2316 hath spokenG2980 byG1223 the mouthG4750 of allG3956 hisG848 holyG40 prophetsG4396 since the world began.G575 G165

(NKJV) whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

(NLT) For he must remain in heaven until the time for the final restoration of all things, as God promised long ago through his holy prophets.

(YLT) whom it behoveth heaven, indeed, to receive till times of a restitution of all things, of which God spake through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age.

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the "restitution" of all things? Is this a reference to the removal of the curse?
Where did you come up with that notion? Is it something from Covenant theology, New Covenant theology tradition central to their teachings?

I don't see the restitution of all things having any particular effect on the pre-trib doctrine.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not interested in various theories such as pretrib. The prophets saw a Day of the Lord, which Christians refer to in various ways such as second coming or judgement. That's what is referred to. They also sometimes expected trials of various sorts before that day.

This particular passage envisions that day as resulting in the restoration of all things. That would be what Paul described in 1 Cor 15:22 ff.

Historically, this text way a key one on which Origen and others who believed in universalism based their ideas, although 1 Cor 15 can reasonably be understood as including the destruction of God’s enemies before the restoration, and presumably this text would allow that as well.

Traditionally the Fall was understood as affecting not only humans, but the world as a whole, with natural evil ultimately being a result of it. So the restoration of all results not only in the restoration of people but the restoration of nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the restitution of all things having any particular effect on the pre-trib doctrine.

Is it because you do not want to see it?

You have said in the past you were an "anytime" rapture believer. Have you now changed your mind?

Act 3:21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

What would an unbiased reader say about the passage above?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believers are Israel and the restitution of Israel happens in the resurrection into the new heavens and earth on the last day. And in this way, all Israel will be saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟359,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

What would an unbiased reader say about the passage above?

I would say it means that Jesus is not returning until the parable of the fig tree generation.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

(CJB) He has to remain in heaven until the time comes for restoring everything, as God said long ago, when he spoke through the holy prophets.

(ESV) whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago.

(Geneva) Whome the heauen must containe vntill the time that all thinges be restored, which God had spoken by the mouth of all his holy Prophets since the world began.

(Greek NT TR) ον δει ουρανον μεν δεξασθαι αχρι χρονων αποκαταστασεως παντων ων ελαλησεν ο θεος δια στοματος παντων αγιων αυτου προφητων απ αιωνος

(GW) Heaven must receive Jesus until the time when everything will be restored as God promised through his holy prophets long ago.

(KJV) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

(KJV+) WhomG3739 the heavenG3772 mustG1163 (G3303) receiveG1209 untilG891 the timesG5550 of restitutionG605 of all things,G3956 whichG3739 GodG2316 hath spokenG2980 byG1223 the mouthG4750 of allG3956 hisG848 holyG40 prophetsG4396 since the world began.G575 G165

(NKJV) whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

(NLT) For he must remain in heaven until the time for the final restoration of all things, as God promised long ago through his holy prophets.

(YLT) whom it behoveth heaven, indeed, to receive till times of a restitution of all things, of which God spake through the mouth of all His holy prophets from the age.

From my studies, it will be when Jesus takes possession of the earth, after His parousia/coming. This was my chain of thought, or close:

The DOTL is finished after the last bowl. When Jesus takes possession of the earth, the curse will be lifted, the 1st resurrection will be complete, and we will reign 1000 years with Jesus-not just those out of the great trib. Prophecy is finished-because Jesus is now visible and present on the earth. The 70th week is finished for Israel.

After death is done away with-at the great white throne, there will not be any subjects to reign over-we will all be perfected and no more sinners and will all have one mind and there will be no more strife. Thus, Jesus must start His reign on the earth at the start of the MK.

That's where I'm at, just showing why I believe the restitution of all things is after the 1st Resurrection, and when it is completed- and I know most all the arguments for each side. This is just what I've settled on, and I don't have every little point answered, but most. We will all never agree on this, this side of eternity. :)

18For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope 21that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now. 23And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body. 24For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? 25But if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it.

25“There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, 26men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27“Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD with power and great glory. 28“But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.

1I saw another strong angel coming down out of heaven, clothed with a cloud; and the rainbow was upon his head, and his face was like the sun, and his feet like pillars of fire; 2and he had in his hand a little book which was open. He placed his right foot on the sea and his left on the land; 3and he cried out with a loud voice, as when a lion roars; and when he had cried out, the seven peals of thunder uttered their voices. 4When the seven peals of thunder had spoken, I was about to write; and I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Seal up the things which the seven peals of thunder have spoken and do not write them.” 5Then the angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land lifted up his right hand to heaven, 6and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, WHO CREATED HEAVEN AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE EARTH AND THE THINGS IN IT, AND THE SEA AND THE THINGS IN IT, that there will be delay no longer, 7but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, then the mystery of God is finished, as He preached to His servants the prophets.

1Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels who had seven plagues, which are the last, because in them the wrath of God is finished.

15Then the seventh angel sounded; and there were loud voices in heaven, saying,
The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He will reign forever and ever.16And the twenty-four elders, who sit on their thrones before God, fell on their faces and worshiped God, 17saying,
“We give You thanks, O Lord God, the Almighty, who are and who were, because You have taken Your great power and have begun to reign. 18“And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth.”

17Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl upon the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple from the throne, saying, “It is done.” 18And there were flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder; and there was a great earthquake, such as there had not been since man came to be upon the earth, so great an earthquake was it, and so mighty. 19The great city was split into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell. Babylon the great was remembered before God, to give her the cup of the wine of His fierce wrath. 20And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found. 21And huge hailstones, about one hundred pounds each, came down from heaven upon men; and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail, because its plague was extremely severe.

3Know this first of all, that in the last days mockers will come with their mocking, following after their own lusts, 4and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation.” 5For when they maintain this, it escapes their notice that by the word of God the heavens existed long ago and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water. 7But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

4Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were completed. This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy is the one who has a part in the first resurrection; over these the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with Him for a thousand years.

11It is a trustworthy statement:
For if we died with Him, we will also live with Him;

12If we endure, we will also reign with Him;
If we deny Him, He also will deny us;

13If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.

Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The restitution of all things is when He makes everything new.

Revelation 13:25
5And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.”

Revelation 21
Berean Study Bible
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Isaiah 65:17
For behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

• Winner
Reactions: BABerean2
Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The restitution of all things is when He makes everything new.

Revelation 13:25
5And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.”

Revelation 21
Berean Study Bible
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.

Isaiah 65:17
For behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.

Love these Scriptures! :oldthumbsup:

I believe the new heaven and new earth will start at the MK, and be completed after the great white throne. God will not destroy the works of His Son and the culture they have built. God is about renewal and restoration, not starting over from scratch. There is a continuity between the old earth and the new- just like after the flood. The garment will be "changed", not an entirely new garment will be made.

Thus, Zion, the land of Israel,-as divided in Ezek, and the Temple in Ezek, will be forever. Also the Heavenly city, the new Jerusalem will set down and be established on the earth. Two different locations. Timing could be different too than what we think.

All the nations will have access to the new Jerusalem-who are redeemed. Missed the "and to" for the longest time in Hebrews- that's why no Temple, but Ezek. says the Temple will be forever. Answer? Two different locations on the earth. Missed these two verses too, until I read her book. :)

2In the visions of God He brought me into the land of Israel and set me on a very high mountain, and on it to the south there was a structure like a city.

And,

10And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,

22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of angels, 23to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Isa. 65 goes in and out of the MK and eternal, IMO. It could be because both are there at the same time? Either way, going to be great! :clap:

Interesting book on this subject, is What on Earth is Heaven Like, by Janet Willis. Not that I agree with all her conclusions. But the separation of the Heavenly city and the Temple site, and smaller size of the Heavenly city, yes! Few will enter into the Kingdom according to Jesus.

I believe this book and Heaven by Randy Alcorn has some fine nuggets of truth in them. Think outside the box.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Earth-Heaven-Like-Jerusalem/dp/1516815130

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that's why no Temple, but Ezek. says the Temple will be forever. Answer? Two different locations on the earth. Missed these two verses too, until I read her book.

The 3rd and final temple is found below.
Its chief cornerstone is the Son of God.

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

How big a temple would you have if you took all of the believers and put them shoulder-to-shoulder?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Love these Scriptures! :oldthumbsup:

I believe the new heaven and new earth will start at the MK, and be completed after the great white throne. God will not destroy the works of His Son and the culture they have built. God is about renewal and restoration, not starting over from scratch. There is a continuity between the old earth and the new- just like after the flood. The garment will be "changed", not an entirely new garment will be made.

Thus, Zion, the land of Israel,-as divided in Ezek, and the Temple in Ezek, will be forever. Also the Heavenly city, the new Jerusalem will set down and be established on the earth. Two different locations. Timing could be different too than what we think.

All the nations will have access to the new Jerusalem-who are redeemed. Missed the "and to" for the longest time in Hebrews- that's why no Temple, but Ezek. says the Temple will be forever. Answer? Two different locations on the earth. Missed these two verses too, until I read her book. :)

2In the visions of God He brought me into the land of Israel and set me on a very high mountain, and on it to the south there was a structure like a city.

And,

10And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,

22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, (the new Jerusalem comes out of heaven - not of the earth) and to myriads of angels, 23to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the Judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

Isa. 65 goes in and out of the MK and eternal, IMO. It could be because both are there at the same time? Either way, going to be great! :clap: Same time - Disagree but Agree, it's going to be great when it's all over!

Interesting book on this subject, is What on Earth is Heaven Like, by Janet Willis. Not that I agree with all her conclusions. But the separation of the Heavenly city and the Temple site, and smaller size of the Heavenly city, yes! Few will enter into the Kingdom according to Jesus.

I believe this book and Heaven by Randy Alcorn has some fine nuggets of truth in them. Think outside the box.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Earth-Heaven-Like-Jerusalem/dp/1516815130

well the current earth will be completely destroyed ... left desolate .... before He makes everything new "like in the days of Noah" .... surface of the earth was destroyed (by water) ... along with all the wicked (small remnant protected ie Noah & His family) ... end times earth destroyed by eternal fire ... the saved are in and protected in the heavenly Jerusalem and can withstand the fire. (ie ... parallels the story in Daniel and his two friends being thrown into the fire yet not hurt in any way) ... the MK kingdom is spent in heaven .... THEN the 2nd resurrection takes place (of the lost) .... the great battle happens .... and they are all destroyed by eternal fire. Then He makes everything new (complete restoration) IMO

Think outside the box.

and I most certainly do ;o)

Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
well the current earth will be completely destroyed ... left desolate .... before He makes everything new "like in the days of Noah" .... surface of the earth was destroyed (by water) ... along with all the wicked (small remnant protected ie Noah & His family) ... end times earth destroyed by eternal fire ... the saved are in and protected in the heavenly Jerusalem and can withstand the fire. (ie ... parallels the story in Daniel and his two friends being thrown into the fire yet not hurt in any way) ... the MK kingdom is spent in heaven .... THEN the 2nd resurrection takes place (of the lost) .... the great battle happens .... and they are all destroyed by eternal fire. Then He makes everything new (complete restoration) IMO

and I most certainly do ;o)

See we are all trying to get to the same place just in different ways. :oldthumbsup::clap::amen:

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The 3rd and final temple is found below.
Its chief cornerstone is the Son of God.

1Pe 2:4 To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious,
1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
1Pe 2:8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.

How big a temple would you have if you took all of the believers and put them shoulder-to-shoulder?

I don't know? But I got a feeling you are going to tell me. :)

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Rev 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Upvote 0