Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi again,

I wanted to ask about how experience of the Holy Spirit is understood by reformed christians. Is it the case that they say believers don't have direct or immediate experience of the Holy Spirit, or how is it understood? I just heard years ago there was a difference on this between Reformed and Pentecostal believers in how its understood. Just seeking to understand it again. :)

Last edited:

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We don’t believe that there’s an “experience” like Pentecostals do. He doesn’t draw attention to Himself, but points to Christ. He does work in us, though, in sanctification.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, thanks Hammster, because I had a thought about it years ago but wasn't sure really how Pentecostals understood it, I think many would though affirm that their worship is focused on Jesus Christ.

He doesn't work in us, in sanctification, did I get you right, or was that a typo?

Would it be correct to say the Holy Spirit works more at a level below consciousness, and through or with or after the Word is preached? Its just I have had considerable difficulties with understanding my spiritual experience sometimes, and being sure its christian. Since then I have sought to understand things better theologically, and rely a good bit on Donald Bloesch's Theology of Word and Spirit / Christian Foundations series.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ok, thanks Hammster, because I had a thought about it years ago but wasn't sure really how Pentecostals understood it, I think many would though affirm that their worship is focused on Jesus Christ.

He doesn't work in us, in sanctification, did I get you right, or was that a typo?

Would it be correct to say the Holy Spirit works more at a level below consciousness, and through or with or after the Word is preached? Its just I have had considerable difficulties with understanding my spiritual experience sometimes, and being sure its christian. Since then I have sought to understand things better theologically, and rely a good bit on Donald Bloesch's Theology of Word and Spirit / Christian Foundations series.
It was a typo.

They may say that they focus on Christ, but look at their writings and see how much focus they put on the Spirit, and whether He’s manifested in us.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I just find I struggle with the experience I have in some pentecostal services. I wish i could articulate it but it was a while ago. On the other hand when I went to a Free Presbyterian church here years ago, I had a somewhat different experience like a shift in attitude toward The Bible was coming over me.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just find I struggle with the experience I have in some pentecostal services. I wish i could articulate it but it was a while ago. On the other hand when I went to a Free Presbyterian church here years ago, I had a somewhat different experience like a shift in attitude toward The Bible was coming over me.
Why? What did they do differently?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh sorry, I not sure i understood your reply the first time I read it.

I think the emphasis is just different. I mean the congregations also differed in that that particular Elim Pentecostal church was more into newer worship songs and the praise band sort of led the service for a bit, rather than the minister calling out the hymns. It was a while ago so I cannot remember a lot more about the service.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
In regards to your question about "experience" of the Holy Spirit from the perspective of myself who is a Cessationist: I would describe that as a form of awareness more than I'd say it is a "feeling" or "experience".

My understanding of God's presence has always come in a series of "awakenings". Suddenly there were realities that I understood existed that I either didn't understand, or weren't aware of prior. (Not sure if that makes a lot of sense?) It's not a "magical" or superstitious experience / emotionally driven awareness. It's a more grounded and often practical revelation of the reality of God's presence.

Not to say that this revelation of God's presence is just an intellectual experience and doesn't at times elicit emotions. It can, it does and it has; but it's a separate awareness than these other realities. The presence of the Holy Spirit is always "there"; despite whether or not I'm "thinking about it". It's a "raised to life" type of awareness. And it's noticeable because I remember what it was like to be dead.

It's an awakening that has affected everything. It affects how I think, how I feel, what I do, my understanding and perception of myself as well as what's going on in the world around me. It's a "drawing" / "type of compulsion" that at this point in my life; causes me to primarily pray for wisdom and strength to "do the next thing in front of me". That's the practicality of what ever God may be calling me to do in that moment; ends up working out His will in my life.

It's a complex form of existence; that affects everything about me. - I think is the best way I can describe it.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums