1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the purpose of the Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Sabbath and The Law' started by DamianWarS, Mar 15, 2022.

1. SabbathBlessings

SabbathBlessings Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,174
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    You do not need to show outside sources that the majority does not keep the commandments of God, including the Sabbath. It shows this right in the Bible. God’s Word, the scriptures is our only safeguard for God’s Truth, not man that leads people away from breaking the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9, Mark 7:6-8

Revelation 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Of course you will have commentaries on misleading people to breaking one of God’s commandments, the one God told us to “remember” the devil goes to war with the remnant of God’s people who keep the commandments of God. God’s Ten Commandments found here Exodus 20 are a unit of Ten, not nine.

20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them. Isaiah 8:20

2. Danthemailman

Danthemailman Well-Known Member

+2,474
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    As long as you continue to mix the old covenant of law with the new covenant there will be no reasoning with you. NOBODY except Jesus Christ has flawlessly obeyed the 10 commandments (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23) so "keep" the commandments of God cannot mean "perfectly obey the commandments of God," but it does means (Greek word "tereo" - guard, observe, watch over) the commandments of God (1 John 2:3) for the body of Christ in the New Testament, which does not include keeping the weekly sabbath day under the law (Colossians 2:16-17) which was for the children of ISRAEL. (Exodus 31:16; Deuteronomy 5:15)

As for the 10 commandments, in 2 Corinthians 3:6-9, we read - who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. But if the ministry of death, written and engraved on stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of the glory of his countenance, which glory was passing away, how will the ministry of the Spirit not be more glorious? For if the ministry of condemnation had glory, the ministry of righteousness exceeds much more in glory. A ministry of death cannot save you.

The life of discipleship flows out of the new command, to love one another as He loved us. (John 13:34) Love fulfills the law. (Romans 13:8-10) References for the moral aspect of 9 of the 10 commandments are reiterated under the new covenant, yet the command to keep the Sabbath day is not binding on Christians under the new covenant.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me. - Acts 14:15
    2. You shall make no idols. - 1 John 5:21
    3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. - Matthew 5:33-37; 1 Timothy 6:1; James 2:7; James 5:12
    4. Keep the Sabbath day holy. - Not binding on the Church - Colossians 2:16-17
    5. Honor your father and your mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2
    6. You shall not murder. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 John 3:15
    7. You shall not commit adultery. - Romans 13:9-10; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
    8. You shall not steal. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 4:28
    9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. - Romans 13:9-10; Colossians 3:9-10
    10. You shall not covet. - Romans 13:9-10; Ephesians 5:3

3. LoveGodsWord

LoveGodsWord Well-Known Member

+6,559
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    I believe your post here is the teachings and traditions of men over the scriptures and the teachings of the words of website over the Word of God.

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  4. LoveGodsWord

+6,559
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    Here Dan let me help you here as your missing some scripture for some reason. It is you who is mixing up God's eternal law (10 commandments) with Gods' shadow laws of things to come fulfilled in Christ under the new covenant. According to the scriptures Gods 10 commandments have the same role they always have and that is to teach us the knowledge of good (moral right dong when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right dong when obeyed) as shown in the new covenant scriptures *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; Psalms 119:172 and if we break anyone of them according to James we stand guilty before God of sin as shown in James 2:10-11. Everyone of God's 10 commandments including God's 4th commandment are repeated in the new covenant. Here lets' add the scriptures back in that you have left out of your post above.

GOD'S 10 COMMANDMENTS REPEATED IN THE NEW COVENANT
    1. You shall have no other Gods before Me. - Luke 4:8; Matthew 4:10; Revelation 14:7)
    2. You shall make no idols - John 4:24; Acts 15:20; 1 Corinthians 6:9; Ephesians 5:5; 1 Peter 4:3; 1 John 5:21; Revelation 2:14
    3. You shall not take the Name of the Lord your God in vain. - 1 Timothy 6:1, James 2:7
    4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Binding on all Christians today - Matthew 24:20; Hebrews 4:9 (Colossians 2:16 is in reference to the annual sabbaths in the feast days) Mark 2:27-28, Hebrews 4:1-9; Matthew 12:8; Matthew 12:1-8; 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56(Mark 2:28; Matthew 10-12; 24:20; Mark 3:1-5; Luke 6:1-10; 13:14-16; 14:1-5; John 7:22-23; 9:14; Mark 1:21; Mark 6:2; Luke 4:16; 31; Luke 14:1; 23:56; John 2:6; Matthew 16:24; 1; Acts 13:14; 13:27; 13:44; 15:21; 16:13; 17:2; 18:4; Revelations 1:10
    5. Honor your father and mother. - Ephesians 6:1-2; Colossians 3:20; Matthew 15:4; Matthew 19:19
    6. You shall not murder - Matthew 5:44-45; Matt. 5:21-26; Romans 13:9; 1 Timothy 1:9; 1 John 3:15; James 2:11; Matthew 19:18
    7. You shall not commit adultery - Matthew 5:28, 1 Cor. 5:11, 1 Cor. 6:18, Galatians 5:19, Hebrews 13:4, James 2:11, Matthew 19:19, Romans 13:9
    8. You shall not steal - 1 Corinthians 6:10, Romans 2:21, Mark 7:21, Ephesians 4:28, Romans 13:9, Matthew 19:18
    9. You shall not bear false witness - Matthew 15:19, Ephesians 4:25, Col. 3:9; Matthew 19:18, Romans 13:9)
    10. You shall not covet your neighbors possessions - Luke 12:15, Romans 7:7, Ephesians 5:3, 1 Timothy 6:10, Hebrews 13:5, Romans 13:9

You might want to consider that the name "Israel" is only a name given by God to His people who believe and follow what Gods' Word says. It is a name given by God that is independent of both the old and new covenant and was given to Jacob and his posterity before Moses. According to Gods' Word in the new covenant scriptures, Gods' people are now all those who are no longer born of the flesh of the seed of Abraham but are now all those who have been born of the Spirit to believe and follow what Gods' Word says (John 3:3-7) see Romans 9:6-8; Galatians 3:28-29; Romans 2:28-29. There is now no more Jewish and Gentile believers as we are all now one in Christ. Gentile believers have now been grafted in *Romans 11:13-26 and if you are not a part of God's Israel today you have no part in Gods' new covenant promise that was made to Israel *see Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27.

You might also want to consider that 2 Corinthians 3 is not saying that Gods' 10 commandments is abolished. Gods' Word does not teach lawlessness (without law). That is a false teaching. 2 Corinthians 3 is talking about the change of "ministrations". That is the ministration of condemnation and death that the law brings because of sin with the "ministration of the Spirit of life" that God's grace brings through forgiveness of sins through the precious blood of Christ! Your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 3 has Paul in contradiction with Paul when he says faith does not abolish God's law like you are teaching in Romans 3:31 where Paul says genuine faith establishes Gods' law.

Now let's look at your claims in regards to Gods 4th commandment not being binding on Gods' people today and Colossians 2:16-17 in the next post.

more to come...

5. LoveGodsWord

+6,559
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    WHAT IS COLOSSIANS 2:16 REALLY TALKING ABOUT?

As to Colossians 2:16? Yes many take this scripture out of context to the rest of the bible to try and teach that Gods' 4th commandment is a "shadow law" pointing to Christ. However, this teaching is not biblical. I have spent a lot of time prayerfully asking God and studying this topic for myself and I am happy to prove Colossians 2:16 is not a reference to Gods' 4th commandment by Gods' grace through His Word if you are interested. It's time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school. Let's ask God and see what His Word says for ourselves.

The scriptures say
    • Colossians 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day (Feast day), or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]
    If you prayerfully look at this topic in detail and not surface read the scripture and separate it from context like many do, you will find Colossians 2:16 is not a reference to Gods' 4th commandment of the 10 commandments but is a reference to the ceremonial "sabbaths" plural in the annual Feast days connected to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices that are shadow of things to come pointing to Jesus.

Paul here is actually quoting old testament scriptures in regards to the annual Feast days and ceremonial laws and sabbaths that were connected to these Feast days. I will show you examples of these shortly but let me ask, did you know that there was many different kinds of sabbaths (plural) in the Old Testament?

For example the annual Feast days included annual ceremonial sabbaths (plural) that unlike Gods' 4th commandment that is every "seventh day" *Exodus 20:10 on a continuous weekly cycle, the annual sabbaths in the Feast days could fall on any day of the week depending on the yearly cycle and were connected directly to the meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and sin offerings pointing to Jesus. All these shadow laws of remission of sins including the meat and drink offerings the new moons and the annual sabbaths (plural) in he annual Feast days for example included;
    It is all these sabbaths (plural) that were connected to the old covenant earthly Sanctuary that were all shadows of things to come pointing to Jesus as the promised Messiah and Savoir of the world.

It is impossible that Colossians 2:16 to be talking about Gods' 4th commandment for God's 4th commandment has never pointed forward to things to come but points backwards to the finished work of creation *see Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11. Gods' 4th commandment was also made before sin and before law when mankind was sinless and there was no need for a gospel pointing to Jesus because there was no sin when God made the Sabbath for all mankind (see Mark 2:27; Genesis 2:1-3) only Adam and Eve created. Gods' 4th commandment points backwards to the finished work of creation (Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:8-11) not forward to things to come so cannot be a "shadow law" of anything.

Paul in Colossians 2:16 is actually quoting old testament scriptures..
    • Colossians 2:16 [16], Let no man therefore judge you in (1) meat, or in drink, or in respect of an (2) holy day (Feast day), or of the (3) new moon, or of the (4) sabbath days (plural): [17], Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. [KJV]
    from..
    • Ezekiel 45:17-21, It shall be the prince’s duty to furnish the burnt offerings, (1) meat offering and drink offerings, at the (2) feasts, the (3) new moons, and the (4) sabbaths, at all the appointed (5) feasts of the house of israel: He shall provide the sin offerings, grain offerings, burnt offerings, and peace offerings, to make atonement on behalf of the house of Israel: he shall prepare the sin offering, and the meat offering, and the burnt offering, and the peace offerings, to make reconciliation for the house of Israel. Thus says the Lord God; in the first month, in the first day of the month, thou shalt take a young bullock without blemish, and cleanse the sanctuary: and the priest shall take of the blood of the sin offering, and put it upon the posts of the house, and upon the four corners of the settle of the altar, and upon the posts of the gate of the inner court. and so thou shalt do the seventh day of the month for every one that erred, and for him that is simple: so shall ye reconcile the house. in the first month, in the fourteenth day of the month, ye shall have the passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten.
    • 1 Chronicles 23:31 and whenever (1) burnt offerings were presented to the LORD on the (4) sabbaths, at the (3) New Moon (2) feasts and at the appointed festivals. They were to serve before the LORD regularly in the proper number and in the way prescribed for them.
    • 2 Chronicles 2:4 [4] Now I am about to build a temple for the Name of the LORD my God and to dedicate it to him for burning fragrant incense before him, for setting out the consecrated bread regularly, and for making (1) burnt offerings every morning and evening and on the (4) sabbaths, at the (3) New Moons and at the appointed (2) festivals of the LORD our God. This is a lasting ordinance for Israel.
    • Numbers 28:8-10 [9] And on the Sabbath day two lambs of the first year without spot, and two tenth deals of flour for a MEAT OFFERING, mingled with oil, and the DRINK OFFERING thereof: [10] This is the burnt offering of EVERY SABBATH, beside the continual BURN'T OFFERING, and his DRINK OFFERING.
    • Isaiah 1:10-14 [10] Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.[11] To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I AM FULL OF THE BURNT OFFERINGS of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.[12] When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts?[13] BRING NO MORE VAIN OBLATIONS; incense is an abomination unto me; THE NEW MOONS AND SABBATHS, THE CALLING OF ASSEMBLIES, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.[14] Your new moons and your APPOINTED FEASTS my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
    • Hosea 2:11 [11], I will stop her celebrations: her (2) yearly festivals, her (3) New Moons, her (4) sabbaths and all her (2) appointed festivals.
    KEY POINTS TAKEN FROM THE SCRIPTURE
    So what you can see here is that Paul is directly quoting old testament scriptures from Colossians 2:16 that are referring to the annual ceremonial sabbaths connected to the Old testament Sanctuary and meat and drink offerings and animal sacrifices and old covenant laws for remission of sins linked to the annual Feast days not Gods' 4th commandment which was Paul's custom in keeping according to the scriptures (Acts of the Apostles 17:2).

Application to other new covenant scriptures
    • Hebrews 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    • HEBREWS 10:1-9
      [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
      [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
      [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
      [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins.
      [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME:
      [6], IN BURN'T OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
      [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God.
      [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW;
      [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
    All the above new covenant scriptures link in with Colossians 2:16, the meat and drink offerings, and the sabbaths in the annual Feast days and the earthly Sanctuary and its laws for remission of sins. Colossians 2:16 is not telling us that Gods' 4th commandment is abolished.

SUNDAY KEEPING COMMENTARIES ON COLOSSIANS 2:16

I am not one for commentaries but for what it is worth these Sunday keeping scholars are all in agreement here in regards to Colossians 2:16 and what has been shared with you here.

Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible

“... Or of the Sabbath days - Greek, “of the Sabbaths.” The word Sabbath in the Old Testament is applied not only to the seventh day, but to all the days of holy rest that were observed by the Hebrews, and particularly to the beginning and close of their great festivals. There is, doubtless, reference to those days in this place, since the word is used in the plural number, and the apostle does not refer particularly to the Sabbath properly so called. There is no evidence from this passage that he would teach that there was no obligation to observe any holy time, for there is not the slightest reason to believe that he meant to teach that one of the ten commandments had ceased to be binding on mankind. If he had used the word in the singular number - “the Sabbath,” it would then, of course, have been clear that he meant to teach that that commandment had ceased to be binding, and that a Sabbath was no longer to be observed. But the use of the term in the plural number, and the connection, show that he had his eye on the great number of days which were observed by the Hebrews as festivals, as a part of their ceremonial and typical law, and not to the moral law, or the Ten Commandments. No part of the moral law - no one of the ten commandments could be spoken of as “a shadow of good things to come.” These commandments are, from the nature of moral law, of perpetual and universal obligation. ...” - Albert Barnes, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Adam Clarke, states on the same passage:

There is no intimation here that the Sabbath was done away, or that its moral use was superseded, by the introduction of Christianity. I have shown elsewhere that, Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, is a command of perpetual obligation, and can never be superseded but by the final termination of time. ...” - Adam Clarke, Colossians 2:16 Commentary. E-Sword App.

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary states:
    “... the sabbath — Omit “THE,” which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on Gal_4:10). “SABBATHS” (not “the sabbaths”) of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Lev_23:32, Lev_23:37-39). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Lev_23:38 expressly distinguished “the sabbath of the Lord” from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb_4:9, “rests,” Greek, “keeping of sabbath” (Isa_66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Rom_13:8-10). ...” - Jamieson, Fausset and Brown, Colossians 2:16 Commentary.

Hope this is helpful

6. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+3,204
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    But not all are as informed as you are. . .nor given to acknowledging the obvious connections.
    Isn't that obvious in the context?
    From labor to rest.

7. martymonster

martymonster Veteran

+905
    Non-Denom
    Married

Heb 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

Clearly you don't understand types and shadows. The shadows does not continue to exist once it has been fulfilled. Christ is that fulfilment.

8. LoveGodsWord

+6,559
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the shadow laws of remission of sin through animal sacrifices and sin offereing under the Levitical Priesthood that point to Christ from the Mosaic book of the covenant. Not Gods' 10 commandments. Go read the scripture context of Hebrews 10:1-22

Let's add some of the scripture context back in...
    • HEBREWS 9:1; 9-12 [1] Then verily THE FIRST COVENANT HAD ALSO ORDINANCES of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.... [9] WHICH WAS A FIGURE for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;[10] WHICH STOOD ONLY IN MEATS AND DRINKS, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.[12] NEITHER BY THE BLOOD OF GOATS AND CALVES, BUT BY HIS OWN BLOOD he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
    • HEBREWS 10:1-9
      [1], FOR THE LAW HAVING A SHADOW OF GOOD THINGS TO COME, AND NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, CAN NEVER WITH THOSE SACRIFICES which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
      [2], For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshipers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
      [3], But in those SACRIFICES there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
      [4], For it is not possible that THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND GOATS should take away sins.
      [5], Why when he comes into the world, he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS YOU WOULD NOT BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME:
      [6], IN BURNT OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAVE HAD NO PLEASURE.
      [7], Then said I, See, I come in the VOLUME OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME, to do your will, O God.
      [8], Above when he said, SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND BURNT OFFERINGS AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU WOULD NOT, neither had pleasure therein; WHICH ARE OFFERED BY THE LAW;
      [9], Then said he, See, I come to do your will, O God. He takes away the first, that he may establish the second.
    Note as shown above from the scriptures the contexts of Hebrews 10:1 is talking about the laws of remission of sins and sin offerings not Gods' 10 commandments.

Hope this is helpful.

9. martymonster

martymonster Veteran

+905
    Non-Denom
    Married

The law is the law. You don't get to pick and choose which parts of the law you want to keep. You either keep all of it, or none of it.

10. LoveGodsWord

+6,559
    Australia
    SDA
    Married
    Not according to the scriptures. The "shadow laws" for animal sacrifices and sin offering under an earthly Sanctuary and the Levitical Priesthood with the physical sign of circumcision from the Mosaic book of the old covenant *Exodus 24:7 written by Moses are not the same as Gods' eternal laws written on stone by the finger of God that gives us the knowledge of what sin is when broken under the new covenant *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4; James 2:10-11.

11. philadelphos

philadelphos Sydney

+116
    Australia
    Presbyterian
    Single
    Adding to the earlier for or against point, that sabbath is communion/fellowship with God: sabbath is an opportune time for a person's allegiance to the author of life to connect with his maker, as opposed to denying him.

This sabbath's parashat (Numbers 13:1-15:41) uses Canaan as an example, a nation born from the son of Shem, was cursed by Noah (Gen 9:22-26), that later made child sacrifice to Moloch.--And truly prophecy was fulfilled in this regard since the Jerusalem was built on the territory such sacrifices were made.--The heads of 12 tribes are appointed to "search the land of Canaan" (spy? judge?), with the passage continuing to explain the jurisdiction for God's law as applicable "also for the stranger that sojourneth with you" (Num 15:14-16). That, "One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you." (v 16).

It mentions the sin/error of presumption, for those who operate outside of the law: "But they presumed to go up unto the hill top... Then the Amalekites came down, and the Canaanites which dwelt in that hill, and smote them" (Num 14:44-45) Ignorance as presumption, as the law is both universal and indiscriminate among God's people: "Ye shall have one law for him that sinneth through ignorance, both for him that is born among the children of Israel, and for the stranger that sojourneth among them. But the soul that doeth ought presumptuously, whether he be born in the land, or a stranger, the same reproacheth the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him." (Num 15:29-31)-- This of course speaks to every person's heart, sin causing a rebellion from within.

The passage moves right into application of the law, with a case of capital punishment being dealt to the sabbath-breaker who's made an example of: "Because he hath despised the word of the Lord, and hath broken his commandment, that soul shall utterly be cut off; his iniquity shall be upon him. And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day." (Num 15:31-32)

The universality of God's law is hinted at in the conclusion, as freedom from bondage (to sin), in both the literal and metaphorical sense. The Israelites are clearly notable being liberated specifically from Egyptian oppression, but the same kind of liberty or salvation is understood by any slave to Rome, Western capitalism, Islamic tyranny, Chinese communism, etc, etc. Albeit less pronounced and esteemed, less noble, it is nevertheless the same salvation in Christ.

"And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the Lord, and do them ; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring: That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God. I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: I am the Lord your God." (v 39-41)

That the time of itself is a mark of holiness/blessing, set by "I am" who exists independent of time/creation. That time as a creation is a way that God chose to interact/fellowship/commune with his creation. Hence Scripture mentions "appointed times" like appointments with God himself, when he has chosen to condescend himself to creation.

Charlie Garrett discussed the implications of that here:

This also ofc alludes to the obvious, that our God is NOT currently here, and it is thus like Malachi's era that we live in a time of mourning. We're told that "in the last days perilous times shall come" (2 Tim 3).

As I mentioned before that others disagreed with, "sabbath" although offering a moment of hope is for now not necessarily a "happy" event. It is incomplete or imperfect. It is what it is, not to be made an idol of. Knowing that the state of the world is like being in an empty doctor's office where one has no choice but to wait patiently, looking forward to the "Lord of the Sabbath" returning. Amen.

Blessings to all

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022