What is the primary language of your liturgy?

Landos

Mar 19, 2021
Midwest
✟10,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Greek Orthodox Church the primary language we use is obviously Byzantine era Greek. But, I visited a Coptic Church with a friend who was a member a few years ago and was surprised they used a fair amount of Greek in their service. Actually, they used Greek, Coptic, Arabic and English in their services-really a smorgasbord if your'e a polyglot!

How about your Orthodox Church?

Last edited:

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the Greek Orthodox Church the primary language we use iis obviously Byzantine era Greek. But, I visited a Coptic Church with a friend who was a member a few years ago and was surprised they used a fair amount of Greek in their service. Actually, they used Greek, Coptic, Arabic and English in their services-really a smorgasbord if your'e a polyglot!

Good all American!

jk English :)

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Greek Orthodox Church the primary language we use is obviously Byzantine era Greek. But, I visited a Coptic Church with a friend who was a member a few years ago and was surprised they used a fair amount of Greek in their service. Actually, they used Greek, Coptic, Arabic and English in their services-really a smorgasbord if your'e a polyglot!

English, with an occasional litany of Slavonic.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Our parish is Antiochian (Syrian), several generations American. We use mostly English although we rotate almost all hymns & the Anaphora with Arabic & lesser amounts of Slavonic & Greek. New Syrians ( & Americans too) have joined in recent years & we say the Lord’s Prayer in English & Arabic.

There are scattered weeks a new inquirer might even think we might be an immigrant parish.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,915.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the liturgy we primarily use English, with some Arabic and Greek here and there. Maybe 90% English. But we pray the Lord's Prayer in 5 different languages - English, Greek, Arabic, Spanish, and Russian. A long time ago we only prayed it in English. I think this came about because different people requested "their" language also be used. Father once said, half-jokingly I think, that if another family requests a 6th language, we're going to revert back to just English.

At Vespers we chant "Lord have mercy" in English, Greek, Arabic, Spanish, Romanian and Slovenian. That's the only thing I can say in Slovenian. One day a door-to-door salesman came by my house. He had a thick Eastern European accent and claimed to be newly arrived from Slovenia. I thought I'd surprise him so I said "Ah, gospod usmili se!" He just stared at me blankly. He didn't know what I said. Either my pronunciation is horrible or he may have been a fraud, lol.

At Agape Vespers we pray the Lord's Prayer in every language possible. If anyone present can pray it in any language on earth, they do so. It takes awhile. We even get Swahili! We're a very erudite congregation. :D

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Landos,

I can see you didn’t give up thread-making for Lent ^_^:sorry:^_^ 15 out of 16 threads—Landos ^_^

To answer your question—-English, with sprinkles of Slavonic thrown in on some weeks. The Dostoyno Yest, for example, is often in Slavonic. The Our Father, Otche Nash, sometimes, is in Slavonic. 9 times out of 10 Father does the prayer before the Ambo in Slavonic. 98% of everything is English.

• Haha
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As chanters, we use probably a third Greek and two-thirds English and depending on the piece if something is done in Greek, we'll do it again in English. For example, the apolytikion is sung once in Greek and if it's sung a second time, it will be done in English. Big things such as the Creed are done in both languages. It also depends on the chanter, I can sing some things in Greek, but I'm 95% English as no one wants to hear me mangle the Greek.

Reactions: Landos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Landos

Mar 19, 2021
Midwest
✟10,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Landos,

I can see you didn’t give up thread-making for Lent ^_^:sorry:^_^ 15 out of 16 threads—Landos ^_^

To answer your question—-English, with sprinkles of Slavonic thrown in on some weeks. The Dostoyno Yest, for example, is often in Slavonic. The Our Father, Otche Nash, sometimes, is in Slavonic. 9 times out of 10 Father does the prayer before the Ambo in Slavonic. 98% of everything is English.

I'm new here, so I'm going over the top in posting topics. It'll subside as I become a more seasoned veteran. lol

Upvote 0

Landos

Mar 19, 2021
Midwest
✟10,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As chanters, we use probably a third Greek and two-thirds English and depending on the piece if something is done in Greek, we'll do it again in English. For example, the apolytikion is sung once in Greek and if it's sung a second time, it will be done in English. Big things such as the Creed are done in both languages. It also depends on the chanter, I can sing some things in Greek, but I'm 95% English as no one wants to hear me mangle the Greek.

We do more Byzantine Greek than English in the Divine Liturgy. As you noted, the Creed and Lord's Prayer are done in both languages (w/ Modern Greek). The Gospel and Reading are done in both (w/ Modern Greek).

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We do more Byzantine Greek than English in the Divine Liturgy. As you noted, the Creed and Lord's Prayer are done in both languages (w/ Modern Greek). The Gospel and Reading are done in both (w/ Modern Greek).
That’s surprising to me. Most of the Greek Orthodox churches around us are more like what @GreekOrthodox said in regards to language (or even less Greek and more English). Is your area a strong immigrant area for Greeks? Or primarily composed of first / second generation?

Upvote 0

Landos

Mar 19, 2021
Midwest
✟10,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That’s surprising to me. Most of the Greek Orthodox churches around us are more like what @GreekOrthodox said in regards to language (or even less Greek and more English). Is your area a strong immigrant area for Greeks? Or primarily composed of first / second generation?

I'm in the midwest near a major urban area that has a fair amount of 1st and 2nd generation Greeks. We're a smaller Church and there are a few larger GOC in the area that probably use more English, so the 1st language Greek speakers tend to come to us.

The Byzantine Greek is mostly the Divine Liturgy which just about everyone knows anyway, so it's not like we're completely in the dark about the service. It gives me comfort knowing the Liturgy is exactly as spoken in Constantinople 1500 years ago, I like that tradition. Besides, my Greek needs all the practice I can get-I took Greek School as a child, but it was not spoken much in my home growing up.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm in the midwest near a major urban area that has a fair amount of 1st and 2nd generation Greeks. We're a smaller Church and there are a few larger GOC in the area that probably use more English, so the 1st language Greek speakers tend to come to us.

The Byzantine Greek is mostly the Divine Liturgy which just about everyone knows anyway, so it's not like we're completely in the dark about the service. It gives me comfort knowing the Liturgy is exactly as spoken in Constantinople 1500 years ago, I like that tradition. Besides, my Greek needs all the practice I can get-I took Greek School as a child, but it was not spoken much in my home growing up.
I’m definitely in an area without many first / second generation Greeks. There are some, but not a large amount. A good portion of the members in all Orthodox Church jurisdictions in this area are converts. The local Greek church has some more cradle Orthodox than my OCA church does, but they still have a good number of people who are not Greek in background.

Upvote 0