What is the point of conformity to the Image of Christ if we will be glorified?

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I was told sometimes God puts you in difficult times/fire, to refine you and purify you.

But let's say I am going through a long difficult trial, for years, what is the point of all the difficulty, if someday I am going to be fully glorified?

How will that make a difference if I am 25% conformed or 75% conformed to His Image?

Why if this is temporary life anyway?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I was told sometimes God puts you in difficult times/fire, to refine you and purify you.

But let's say I am going through a long difficult trial, for years, what is the point of all the difficulty, if someday I am going to be fully glorified?

How will that make a difference if I am 25% conformed or 75% conformed to His Image?

(1Pe 1:3) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

(1Pe 1:4) To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

(1Pe 1:5) Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

(1Pe 1:6) Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

(1Pe 1:7) That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

(1Pe 1:8) Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

(1Pe 1:9) Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This is some of what Robert Hawker has to say on the verses above:

I beg the Reader not to overlook what the Holy Ghost saith on this subject, (for it is a blessed testimony,) concerning the trial of faith, in the children of God; that it is more precious than of gold that perisheth. It is a sweet comparison, and most wisely chosen, to shew the superiority of faith to gold. For though gold, if it be pure gold, when put into the hottest fire, will lose nothing, and come out the brighter; yet it will gain nothing by the process. The same quantity thrown into the furnace, it will be well if it come out, more it cannot. But not so by faith. True faith, the faith of God’s elect, will be increased tenfold by the trial; and the oftener it is tried, the greater both in quantity and in quality, it will become. Let the Reader attend to this distinction, and learn to bless God the Holy Ghost for so gracious a testimony. And if he be a child of God, let him learn moreover, the great grace and condescension of a faithful God in Christ, in bringing him to such trials, My Brother! Be assured of this one most certain truth: The Lord can never try your faith, but he affords you thereby an opportunity, both to try, and to prove his love and faithfulness. David knew this so well, that he cried out, under his sharp exercises: I know, 0 Lord, that thy judgments are right; and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me, Psa_119:75. And you cannot but know, that every skirmish with the foe, the Lord designs for your comfort, and his own glory. Sometimes by enabling you to resist the devil, you are led to see, that he flees from you. Sometimes, when he comes in like a flood, you discover Christ’s strength made perfect in your weakness; and the Lord the Spirit lifts up Christ a standard against him, Isa_59:19. And even in those fiery darts of his which wound, and when in grappling with the foe, for the time the poor buffeted soul seems to give way, and fall under; even then, the soul, which is strong in the faith, shouts victory in the blood of the Lamb, and cries out, even as he falls: Rejoice not against me, 0 mine enemy; when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me, Mic_5:7-8. Oh! it is blessed, it is precious, yea, much more precious than of gold that perisheth, when faith is tried, though with tire. For the child of God is an infinite gainer, and the Lord God of his tried child will make it ultimately appear in the end, that his Almighty hand was in it, when it is found unto praise, and honor, and glory, at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,036.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

The reason why we are being conformed to the image of Christ now is so that others can see Christ in us. If we are saved, and yet the world can not see any difference between us and the worldly, then how can they know who are saved and who are lost? Yes, we have a sin nature, and yes, we struggle with sin(s), but there is Christ within us, and that will show forth.

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."[Matthew 5:14] If the world can not see us differently than the lost, we're in a peck of trouble.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The reason why we are being conformed to the image of Christ now is so that others can see Christ in us. If we are saved, and yet the world can not see any difference between us and the worldly, then how can they know who are saved and who are lost? Yes, we have a sin nature, and yes, we struggle with sin(s), but there is Christ within us, and that will show forth.

"You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden."[Matthew 5:14] If the world can not see us differently than the lost, we're in a peck of trouble.
We are to be a light to the world to be sure but the world didn't see Christ in Christ so do you really think that they will see Him in us?

Our light is the preaching of the Gospel of Christ praying that the Spirit would make it reach the hearts of sinners. The light is Christ and the power is the preaching of the Gospel.

(2Co 4:3) But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

(2Co 4:4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

(2Co 4:5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

(2Co 4:6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

(2Co 4:7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Upvote 0

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟43,036.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We are to be a light to the world to be sure but the world didn't see Christ in Christ so do you really think that they will see Him in us?

Our light is the preaching of the Gospel of Christ praying that the Spirit would make it reach the hearts of sinners. The light is Christ and the power is the preaching of the Gospel.

(2Co 4:3) But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

(2Co 4:4) In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

(2Co 4:5) For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

(2Co 4:6) For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

(2Co 4:7) But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.
I am not disagreeing with you, as you are correct here. All I am saying is we are to let our lights shine so others may glorify God. Only the elect of God can see that which is in us. Progressive sanctification is slowly being conformed into the image of Christ. In these earthly frames, we will never get close enough, but we are to strive for that goal nonetheless.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I am not disagreeing with you, as you are correct here. All I am saying is we are to let our lights shine so others may glorify God. Only the elect of God can see that which is in us. Progressive sanctification is slowly being conformed into the image of Christ. In these earthly frames, we will never get close enough, but we are to strive for that goal nonetheless.
We do grow in grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ but there is no such thing as progressive sanctification. We do not become more holy or conformed to Christ in the old man. He is just as wicked and full of God hating sin as ever. We do not take the old man to the hospital of religion to be cured, it is impossible to cure him, but to the cross to be put to death.

Instead of progressive sanctification the Scriptures teach that we are a whole new creation of God in the new birth. We are a people of 2 natures now: one which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness being partakers of the divine nature and the seed of Christ that cannot sin, Gal. 5: 17; Eph. 4:24; 2Pet. 1:3-4; 1John 3:9.

Being conformed to the image of Christ is not progressive sanctification but a daily battle with our old natures which seek to dominate us still.

Moreover being lights is a passive thing. A candle or lamp doesn't generate its own light but is the passive means by which the light is generated. The words of Christ about us being lights is sorely misunderstood and applied when it is made to mean that our lives are the light for others to see. The light is the Gospel of the free and sovereign grace of God in Christ Jesus alone.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

<blind post>

Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

(It's not about you :))

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was told sometimes God puts you in difficult times/fire, to refine you and purify you.But let's say I am going through a long difficult trial, for years, what is the point of all the difficulty, if someday I am going to be fully glorified?How will that make a difference if I am 25% conformed or 75% conformed to His Image?Why if this is temporary life anyway?

Under this premise you presented that trials are good for soul,
why would you want to miss out?

I'm sure you know of some people born with a golden spoon
in their mouth. How often do you admire their Spirit?

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Under this premise you presented that trials are good for soul,
why would you want to miss out?

I'm sure you know of some people born with a golden spoon
in their mouth. How often do you admire their Spirit?

I agree with you.

But let's say throughout my life I only get 40% conformity
And another gets 60% conformity

And the end of times, when we both are glorified we will both be 100%.

That's what I meant by my question.

Maybe a more enjoyable peaceful life? But trials and fire does not bring peaceful life, I can attest to that. (At least in the interim)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you.

Maybe a more enjoyable peaceful life? But trials and fire does not bring peaceful life, I can attest to that. (At least in the interim)

Morphine and Heroin both bring great peace. Alcohol helps as well.
A friend of mine found that animal tranquilizers took the edge off.
So what was it you were seeking?

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Morphine and Heroin both bring great peace. Alcohol helps as well.
A friend of mine found that animal tranquilizers took the edge off.
So what was it you were seeking?

I'm not seeking anything.

If we WILL NOT be completely conformed to the image of Christ in our life, whats the point of trials, refining, etc. is we will not be completely glorified?

When he returns we will be 100% glorified

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm not seeking anything.

If we WILL NOT be completely conformed to the image of Christ in our life, whats the point of trials, refining, etc. is we will not be completely glorified?

When he returns we will be 100% glorified
Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. It's not about you.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you.

Actually it does when you find your peace in Christ not in this life.

No trial is fun to go through to be sure but what makes it bearable and gives you peace through it is understanding that God is absolutely sovereign in all things and absolutely good to His people in all things. When you truly know this to be a fact and rest in its truth you can be like those who were sawn asunder and burned at the stake for the name of Christ.

That peace that passes understanding will be yours even in the worst of circumstances.

I have been through 2 heart attacks and several other things that threatened my life but I can honestly say that I had no fear nor a shaking of my peace or faith in any of them.

(Heb 12:25) See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:

(Heb 12:26) Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

(Heb 12:27) And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

I have been preparing a message on this passage. Perhaps I will post my notes on it when I am done.

Upvote 0