What is the most important spiritual discipline?

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how it doesn't.

Does anything else matter without it?

Since "obedience" is not a spiritual discipline it doesn't answer the question.

It does, however, point out that the purpose of spiritual disciplines is to grow in obedience and that practicing the disciplines are themselves acts of obedience.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Since "obedience" is not a spiritual discipline it doesn't answer the question.

It does, however, point out that the purpose of spiritual disciplines is to grow in obedience and that practicing the disciplines are themselves acts of obedience.

How is obedience not a spiritual discipline?
practicing the disciplines are themselves acts of obedience
Obedience to what?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How is obedience not a spiritual discipline?

I mean if you want to get really messy and blur your categories together I suppose you could reckon it that way. I just don't think that this is a helpful way to talk about spiritual disciplines.

Obedience to what?

God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
of genuine believers
This is one important key. 2 or 3 genuine believers can meet anywhere as written in Scripture, OT and NT, and Jesus is right there with us/them.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you elaborate?
For simplest example, many meeting places deny, or forbid, or never even think , of healing - many do not permit it .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Since all of our motivations are mixed, none of them are really pleasing to him.

Does God specify what heart condition pleases Him? (Which would indicate our motivation(s) )

Upvote 0

OwainK

May 9, 2017
North Wales
✟38,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This may sound like I'm asking "which is the most important leg on a stool?" or "which is the most important wheel on a car?" And this may be the case.

But I actually do think that there is one discipline that takes primacy over all the rest. There is one discipline that if it's missing from your life will negatively affect all the other disciplines and negatively affect your growth in Christ. I'll name it in the spoiler below, but before you look at my answer I'd like to hear your answer and your rationale.

Weekly Church attendance.

Faith in Jesus Christ our LORD. Knowing how he died on the cross for the forgiveness of our sins, so we can be forgiven for the sins we commit. Having faith in this, and belief in God is the most important thing of all for our salvation for eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Faith in Jesus Christ our LORD. Knowing how he died on the cross for the forgiveness of our sins, so we can be forgiven for the sins we commit. Having faith in this, and belief in God is the most important thing of all for our salvation for eternal life.

Faith is a gift from God and not a spiritual discipline.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I like this answer. But is repentance a spiritual discipline or is it a fruit of the Spirit? I could see "confession" as a spiritual discipline related to the fruit of repentance.

The fruit of the Spirit comes AFTER repentance, does it not?

Upvote 0

OwainK

May 9, 2017
North Wales
✟38,815.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Faith is a gift from God and not a spiritual discipline.

It is a person's choice to have faith. Like you could choose to not believe at all or be an athiest or hindu or whatever. It's your choice if you wanna turn to God and believe in him and his word or not.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I like this answer. But is repentance a spiritual discipline or is it a fruit of the Spirit? I could see "confession" as a spiritual discipline related to the fruit of repentance.
I would list it as a cultivated discipline. We all slip and mess up. We are fallen men and its what we do. But to be quick to recognize our error and repent from it. (rather than ignoring it or - worse - trying to cover it up) keeps us on a continual upward walk more and more into His image.

Confession can certainly be a part of repentance, but at its core is NOT actual repentance.

Fruit grows at an unconscious level, given the right environment. But a discipline has to be consciously chosen. We choose to repent. (or not)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The fruit of the Spirit comes AFTER repentance, does it not?

Well if we understand repentance as something we continually practice throughout life I think we can understand it as a fruit of the Spirit. But I could also see how it could be thought of as a spiritual discipline if you're thinking about the actions associated with repentance.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0