What is the Most Effective Approach to Understand the Quran?

Joyousperson

Site Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
"What is Islam" is very specific, imperative and conditioned upon
  • the specific Quran [6236 verses]
  • orally delivered by Allah
  • to Muhammad
  • via Angel Gabriel
  • during the period 610 to 632 CE.
Therefore 'what is Islam' must be contained within those 6,236 verses of the Quran only*. A religion without any of the bolded items cannot be Islam per se.

* I view the Ahadith as a supplementary Appendix to the Quran.
Thus to understand 'what is Islam' we need to understand the Quran, i.e. Allah's words as the core of Islam and its 6236 verses thoroughly.

A Muslim is a person who had entered into a COVENANT [ a divine contract] with Allah to comply with the covenanted terms [that are to be found in the 6236 verses of the Quran only] in exchange with a promise by Allah of a passage to paradise with eternal life.

Generally, ignorance is no defense, thus a Muslim must understand what are the covenanted terms precisely to qualify as being a deserving Muslim on Judgment Day.

What is your approach [or suggestion] to understand 'what is Islam' effectively in terms of its ethos, essence, forms and practices as represented by the 6236 verses of the Quran?

Joyousperson

Site Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Note as commonly accepted, the Quran contained 77,449 words in 6,236 verses in 114 Chapters [there are variations but they are not significant].

Some common knowledge of the Quran;
IslamTutor: The Quran's Statistics

• There are 114 surahs (chapters) in the Quran.
  • There are 30 ajza' (volumes/parts) to the Quran.
  • There are 6236 verses in the Quran (7 verses in the first chapter with Bismillah included but with the initial Bismillah not included for other surahs, otherwise it is: 112 + 6236 = 6348).
  • The "Bismillah" opening phrase is mentioned at the beginning of 113 Surahs and once in the text of Surat al-Naml, so 114 times in total in the whole Quran.
  • The most common print of the Arabic Quran contains approximately 604 pages.
  • The longest chapter, Surat al-Baqarah, contains 286 verses.
  • The shortest chapter, Surat al-Kawthar, contains 3 verses.
  • The longest ayah (verse) is in Surat al-Baqarah, verse 2.282.
  • The shortest ayat (verses) are two letters long and are present in numerous surahs like Taha (20.1)
  • The shortest ayah (verse) with an actual word is in Surat al-Rahman, verse 55.1.

Upvote 0

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Well starting with the facts. The Quran was revelhala during a time period of 23 years. Exactly which years those were, no one knows for sure. As to the number of verses, it depends on how you count them.

As to what is Islam - regardless of your opinion it is not based only on the Quran.

A muslim is a person who says I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His messenger.

Ask Islamic scholars,
read a translation of the meaning of the Qur'an recommended by the scholars with commentary.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How to go about that?
What are the detail steps to take?

First Give Jesus control of your life - be baptised in the Holy Spirit and He will open your awareness of such matters - either through gifts He gives you to discern or through the discernment gifts of other believers.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First Give Jesus control of your life - be baptised in the Holy Spirit and He will open your awareness of such matters - either through gifts He gives you to discern or through the discernment gifts of other believers.
This is a short summary, more detail will come if you need.

Upvote 0

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Ignoring the disgraceful wording, it sits fine.

5:116 "And behold! Allah will say: "O Jesus the son of Mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah'?" He will say: "Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.

Isa in the Quran - Quran Search

43:61 "And (Jesus) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment): therefore have no doubt about the (Hour), but follow ye Me: this is a Straight Way."

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Site Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Well starting with the facts. The Quran was revelhala during a time period of 23 years. Exactly which years those were, no one knows for sure. As to the number of verses, it depends on how you count them.
There are various claims to the number of verses but the difference is not significant.

As to what is Islam - regardless of your opinion it is not based only on the Quran.
Epistemologically - i.e. the basis knowledge, there is always an intellectual and objective basis to determine the essence of what something is.

Do you have any objection to my definition of what is Islam, as above, repeated here;

"What is Islam" is very specific, imperative and conditioned upon
  • the specific Quran [6236 verses]
  • orally delivered by Allah
  • to Muhammad
  • via Angel Gabriel
  • during the period 610 to 632 CE.
Therefore 'what is Islam' must be contained within those 6,236 verses of the Quran only*. A religion without any of the bolded items cannot be Islam per se.​

In this case, it cannot be disputed that Islam is based primarily on the Quran.
The question of the Ahadith is contentious and at most secondary.

Note there are guidelines re 'what is a definition' of something;

An intensional definition, also called a connotative definition, specifies the necessary and sufficient conditions for a thing being a member of a specific set.[2] Any definition that attempts to set out the essence of something, such as that by genus and differentia, is an intensional definition.

An extensional definition, also called a denotative definition, of a concept or term specifies its extension. It is a list naming every object that is a member of a specific set.
Definition - Wikipedia

A muslim is a person who says I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and Muhammad is His messenger.
The above has to be derived from the Quran, thus who is a Muslim is conditioned upon the Quran as the essence of Islam.
Critically a Muslim is a person who has entered into a COVENANT [divine contract] with Allah to comply with the covenanted terms. The above declaration is merely a confirmation of the contract.
Do you agree with the need for the covenant or contract is the prerequisite to be a a Muslim?

Ask Islamic scholars,
read a translation of the meaning of the Qur'an recommended by the scholars with commentary.
I agree the above is useful but prone to Confirmation Bias.

But to get a true picture and the proper definition of a thing, we need to apply very objective approaches via personal research into the Quran's 6236 verses itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
There are various claims to the number of verses but the difference is not significant.
Actually in some cases the cause of difference is significant, but farther, why on earth do you repeat it on every paragraph if it's not even significant.
Epistemologically - i.e. the basis knowledge, there is always an intellectual and objective basis to determine the essence of what something is.
Intellectual isn't the word for your "research".
Do you have any objection to my definition of what is Islam, as above, repeated here;
Yes, that's why I corrected it.
In this case, it cannot be disputed that Islam is based primarily on the Quran.
It is disputed and who are you to say they're wrong??

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Site Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Actually in some cases the cause of difference is significant, but farther, why on earth do you repeat it on every paragraph if it's not even significant.
No deliberate intention to repeat. I was just responding to the posts as they appear.
The common claim is the Quran has 6236 verses.
If any different claim is really significant we can discuss and deal with it.

I am interested.
Which different claim of the number of verses would likely make a difference to the definition of 'what is Islam'.

Intellectual isn't the word for your "research".
I have not simply throw in opinions in this discuss but have make attempt to link to appropriate reference, rationality and commonly accepted intellectual practices.

Yes, that's why I corrected it.
Where is your definition of what is Islam?

It is disputed and who are you to say they're wrong??
I agree there is no absolute certainty.

Whether the scholars are right or wrong will depend on their reference to the Quran, i.e. Allah's word is absolute. Under the influence of Confirmation Bias, many Islamic scholars would claim Islam is a religion of peace [up to 100% certainty], but the Quranic verses show otherwise as I have demonstrated.

Many Islamic scholars believe the Quran's version, the Sun set in a muddy pool, but scientific evidences suggested otherwise.

My arguments are based on appropriate reference, rationality and commonly accepted intellectual practices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yytz6

Muslim
Jun 26, 2019
Versailles
✟22,158.00
Country
France
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
I am interested.
Which different claim of the number of verses would likely make a difference to the definition of 'what is Islam'.
Possibly none. Never said it did.
I have not simply throw in opinions in this discuss but have make attempt to link to appropriate reference, rationality and commonly accepted intellectual practices.
If you want to think so.
Where is your definition of what is Islam?
I have no reason to define it for you. My attempts at its definition would surpass your understanding if you are not a believer.
Whether the scholars are right or wrong will depend on their reference to the Quran, i.e. Allah's word is absolute. Under the influence of Confirmation Bias, many Islamic scholars would claim Islam is a religion of peace [up to 100% certainty], but the Quranic verses show otherwise as I have demonstrated.
You tried and failed.
Many Islamic scholars believe the Quran's version, the Sun set in a muddy pool, but scientific evidences suggested otherwise.
The sun doesn't set in a muddy pool??
My arguments are based on appropriate reference, rationality and commonly accepted intellectual practices.
I haven't found any of your references to be appropriate. Even your quotations of the Qur'an and somewhat inappropriate.

Upvote 0

Joyousperson

Site Supporter
May 1, 2019
Beijing
✟48,243.00
Country
China
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
I have no reason to define it [Islam] for you. My attempts at its definition would surpass your understanding if you are not a believer.
Using the non-believer exception is a silly excuse.
We are not dealing with definitions in mathematical equations as in Quantum Physics or the likes.

Note there is commonly acceptable mean to arrive at a definition of anything, e.g.
Definition of definition | Dictionary.com
Definition of definition | Dictionary.com

The Quran stated, it is meant to be easy to be read and understood. So Islam, at least the basic, should be easily defined.

So what is your definition of "what is Islam"?

The sun doesn't set in a muddy pool??
Note 18:86

18:86 Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.

18:86 Hatta itha balagha maghriba alshshamsi wajadaha taghrubu fee AAaynin hami-atin wawajada AAindaha qawman qulna ya tha alqarnayni imma an tuAAaththiba wa-imma an tattakhitha feehim husnan

Here is one fuller explanation to confirm the point, the Quran stated 'the Sun set in a muddy pool' and was believed by Muslims before Science prove otherwise;

Here is Zakir Naik's explanation that wajadaha meant "perceive" i.e. it is about Zulkarnian perceiving it. He is only fooling the ignorant masses.

Note the term 'wajada' WJD, is also used in many places in the Quran and denote 'found' i.e. literary finding something.

e.g.

7:28
Wa 'Idhā Fa`alū Fāĥishatan Qālū Wajadnā `Alayhā 'Ābā'anā Wa Allāhu 'Amaranā Bihā Qul 'Inna Allāha Lā Ya'muru Bil-Faĥshā'i 'Ataqūlūna `Alá Allāhi Mā Lā Ta`lamūna

And if they commit lewdness, they say: "We found our fathers doing such, and God ordered us to it." Say: "God does not order immorality! Do you say about God what you do not know?"
The Quran never state the point was perceived in error by Zulkarnian but rather endorsed it without qualification.

Upvote 0