Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have read all of the Reformed confessional statements on baptism, listened to various lectures by Reformed pastors and theologians, and I've read numerous tracts on baptism (although I admit I haven't read any in-depth treatises on it from the Reformed perspective).

I understand that baptism is taught to be a sign and a seal of faith for the elect and that the act of baptizing doesn't "save" anyone. Rather, the Holy Spirit is what regenerates people and brings them to faith, which could occur at baptism or at some other time.

I hear Reformed theologians say baptism is not a "bare symbol or sign" like Baptists teach, but a lot of the in-depth confessional descriptions seem to teach that it basically is. It seems the Reformed position is that baptism is a sign that points to the work the Holy Spirit does or will do (in the case of children who have not been regenerated yet). So isn't it just a bare symbol then?

Do Reformed churches generally teach that baptism for elect infants is the ordinary moment the Holy Spirit regenerates, or is this sort of thing totally rejected? If it is, how do Reformed people deal with the wealth of evidence from the earliest church fathers who seemed to speak as though baptism ordinarily was the moment of regeneration?

As always, I'm not hear to argue ... just to ask what the position is. I feel like different Reformed authors have different ways of communicating the position. Some seem more sacramental (in the traditional sense), while others seem more symbolic (in the Baptist sense).

Any help, resources, thoughts, etc. would be very much appreciated!

-J

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
From Westminster, section 28:

V. Although it be a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance, yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it as that no person can be regenerated or saved without it, or that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated.

VI. The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinancy the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God's own will, in his appointed time.

Note the "conferred."

From the Declaration of Faith (originally from the PCUS, the Southern branch of the tradition, before the union to produce the PCUSA; accepted by the PCUSA General Assembly after the union):

111 We believe that in Baptism
112 the Spirit demonstrates and confirms God's promise
113 to include us and our children in his gracious covenant,
114 cleansing us from sin,
115 and giving us newness of life,
116 as participants in Christ's death and resurrection.
117 Baptism sets us in the visible community of Christ's people
118 and joins us to all other believers by a powerful bond.
119 In baptism we give ourselves up in faith and repentance
120 to be the Lord's.
121 For both children and adults, baptism is a reminder
122 that God loves us long before we can love him.
123 For both, God's grace and our response to it
124 are not tied to the moment of Baptism,
125 but continue and deepen throughout life.

Reactions: jinc1019
Upvote 0

jinc1019

Christian
Mar 22, 2012
North Carolina
✟17,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From Westminster, section 28:

V. Although it be a great sin to contemn or neglect this ordinance, yet grace and salvation are not so inseparably annexed unto it as that no person can be regenerated or saved without it, or that all that are baptized are undoubtedly regenerated.

VI. The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinancy the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred by the Holy Ghost, to such (whether of age or infants) as that grace belongeth unto, according to the counsel of God's own will, in his appointed time.

Note the "conferred."

From the Declaration of Faith (originally from the PCUS, the Southern branch of the tradition, before the union to produce the PCUSA; accepted by the PCUSA General Assembly after the union):

111 We believe that in Baptism
112 the Spirit demonstrates and confirms God's promise
113 to include us and our children in his gracious covenant,
114 cleansing us from sin,
115 and giving us newness of life,
116 as participants in Christ's death and resurrection.
117 Baptism sets us in the visible community of Christ's people
118 and joins us to all other believers by a powerful bond.
119 In baptism we give ourselves up in faith and repentance
120 to be the Lord's.
121 For both children and adults, baptism is a reminder
122 that God loves us long before we can love him.
123 For both, God's grace and our response to it
124 are not tied to the moment of Baptism,
125 but continue and deepen throughout life.

Great stuff, thanks for this.

I also found Chapter 14 of John Calvin's Institutes very helpful:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/institutes.vi.xv.html?highlight=baptism#highlight

Upvote 0