What is the meaning behind "you never" and "you always"?

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read articles about words to avoid like "never" or "always" because my crazy cousin said that I never supported his music and art gallery. He shouldve been patient and waited instead he cussed me out and blocked me on facebook. Maybe I don't need to and will never support his music and art gallery then. He got mad at me over burrow money from him through Western Union. What's the meaning behind "you never" and "you always"?

Last edited:

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read articles about words to avoid like "never" or "always" because my crazy cousin said that I never supported his music and art gallery. He shouldve been patient and waited instead he cussed me out and blocked me on facebook. Maybe I don't need to and will never support his music and art gallery then. He got mad at me over burrow money from him through Western Union. What's the meaning behind "you never" and "you always"?
I have heard it said that we should avoid “always” and “never” because they have a finality to them that implies our future responses as well as our present ones, and we are often subject to changing our minds.

It sounds like your cousin is hurt because he feels that you have not been supportive of his music and art gallery. Perhaps that is only his perception, or perhaps you have had good reason not to support his work, but it sounds like he is using the term “never” for emphasis to show his displeasure for what he feels to be your lack of support.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:" - 1 Peter 4:4

And as the African American preacher puts it.... "The bible says they will think it strange that you don't run with them... But that's all right! If I've got to walk alone I will walk alone! For God I live! And for God I die!"

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When people are hurt (and his pain came from selfishness, expecting you to make him feel the way he desires) they say things that rarely are 100% accurate. Do you "always" not support him? No... you have given him money, haven't you? Therefore you HAVE supported him but because, in his eyes, you are not now... he used a word that isn't accurate. He does sound selfish, and honestly... the best thing you can do right now is stay blocked and avoid him. Not forever, just long enough for him to come to his senses and reach a point where he can talk. If he never gets THERE... then you really are better off without him because this type of episode will only repeat over and over again. But, should he calm down and come to his senses, then perhaps you can point out the good you have done for him over the years. Just stop allowing him to bully you.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Did you borrow money from him via Western Union, or did he borrow money from you?

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Saying you never,and you always in a negative tone is something people are prone
to saying when upset,and they don't really mean it. When people are upset they often greatly exaggerate things.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I asked him can he send it to me via western union but he never sent me any money and told me that's foolish

Why should he send you money, especially if he has clearly indicated to you that he wants nothing to do with you?

You're describing what sounds like you harassing him.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In Scripture, God uses the words "always" and "never" the way most of us normally use it. It doesn't mean 100% of the time or 0% of the time. It is a word choice to express a spirit or a feeling (that can change). When we are trying to say 100.000% of the time, instead of saying "always" we will sometimes choose another way of saying it, because simply using the word is ambiguous. That's just how it is because we are not trying to convey some mathematical fact, we are trying to communicate with someone.

However, it is wise to not use "always" and "never" unless you DO mean 100.000% or 0.000% of the time, otherwise how people understand you will become looser, and like the boy who cried wolf, when you do actually mean 100.000% of the time, they will not receive your word as meaning that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why should he send you money, especially if he has clearly indicated to you that he wants nothing to do with you?

You're describing what sounds like you harassing him.
Hey sorry for the delay. I wasnt harassing him. I was being nice about it. I was having a hard time commuting back and forth to school and didnt have enough money to get lunch

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am confused over what borrowing money from him has to do with supporting his gallery.

I sense that there is a lot more to this story. If we were to ask him why he is upset, what do you think he would say?

Idk what hes gonna say. He may not say anything

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey sorry for the delay. I wasnt harassing him. I was being nice about it. I was having a hard time commuting back and forth to school and didnt have enough money to get lunch

Thanks for sharing that Lanae. I can understand the need to ask, under the circumstances. What i'm sensing is that God may be tryin' to tell you something Lanae, and that is that only HE really can meet your needs and not friends or even family. Praying for you that God shows you that He is able to meet all of your needs.

Are things better, Lanae?

Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing that Lanae. I can understand the need to ask, under the circumstances. What i'm sensing is that God may be tryin' to tell you something Lanae, and that is that only HE really can meet your needs and not friends or even family. Praying for you that God shows you that He is able to meet all of your needs.

Are things better, Lanae?
Yes

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

That's good to hear. :)

Are there ways that you can find to help others, like helping out in a soup kitchen or somewhere where people would appreciate a friendly and helpful smile as you serve them their lunch, etc?

It would not only bless them, but it would bless you too.

Think and pray about it, ok?

Upvote 0

Lanae

Sep 20, 2017
NC
✟46,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's good to hear. :)

Are they ways that you can find to help others, like helping out in a soup kitchen or somewhere where people would appreciate a friendly and helpful smile as you serve them their lunch, etc?

It would not only bless them, but it would bless you too.

Think and pray about it, ok?
Ok :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those are part of a dialogue that means the speaker is irrationally invalidating you. Anytime you hear the "shoulds coulds woulds" and "nevers, always" you can identify that invalidation (including the post that says, I hope in jest," those are two phrases you should never use") . Unfortunately some phrases have become a part of our own dialogues and we might do well to listen to ourselves. \\

There is only One Who could truly mean "always" or "never"... :D

Upvote 0