undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can tell you I'm pretty much certain it's not the Covid vaccine or Ronald Wilson Reagan or any of a number of other ridiculous things I've heard in my 50 years on this planet.

Here's one thought though that I am aware of

Nero as the Antichrist

"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six" (13:18). The riddle seems to have been forgotten almost as soon as it was written and not solved until 1835, seemingly because the number was assumed to be in Greek or Latin—and not Hebrew.

In ancient Greek and Hebrew, letters also represented numerals (as in Latin), their values assigned according to the order of the alphabet, alpha and aelph, for example, having the numerical value of 1. By adding these values, words could be represented as the sum of their numbers. This literation of numbers and numeration of letters was known as isopsephia by the Greeks and gematria by the Jews (which, in cabalistic practice, has been used to interpret Hebrew scripture). Suetonius relates an example of isopsephia when he records that graffiti appeared in both Greek and Latin lampooning Nero after he had his mother killed: "A calculation new. Nero his mother slew" (Life of Nero, XXXIX.2). In Greek, both "Nero" and "killed his own mother" have the same numerical value (1005). And, to be sure, it is intriguing that 666 encodes the name of Nero in such a way when Revelation, itself, was written in Greek.

If the Greek spelling of Nero Caesar (Neron Kaisar) is transliterated into Hebrew (nrwn qsr), the numerical equivalent is 666—although it should be remembered that this number was not represented as a figure but as letters of the alphabet or written in full. In other words, the "number of the beast" was not expressed as "666" (indeed, discrete Arabic numerals would not be invented for another five hundred years) but by the phrase hexakosioi hexekonta hex or the numerical values of the Greek letters themselves, chi (600), xi (60), and stigma (6).

But what is curious is not so much that 666 can be decoded to signify Nero but that the name is encoded in this particular number, especially since it could have been represented as readily in other ways. It only is when the words are transliterated from Greek into Hebrew and then calculated that the numeration adds up to 666 (nrwn qsr, 50 + 200 + 6 + 50 + 100 + 60 + 200). Even so, this is an alternate spelling, a letter being transliterated in "Neron" (nrwn instead of nrw) but not in "Caesar" (qsr instead of qysr). Although these forms do appear in the Talmud and an Aramaic scroll from Qumran, they no doubt complicated the solution to the puzzle.

For Watt, the significance of 666 is that its expression in Latin is the sequential Roman numerals DCLXVI, which parallels but is the antithesis of the "Alpha and Omega" that John used to characterize both Christ (22:13) and God (1:8, 21:6). As the Deity represents the beginning and end, so the Antichrist is a reversal of the first and last, D (500) preceding I (1). To phrase this another way, 666 (or rather DCLXVI) signifies the Antichrist because that number signifies Nero, and Nero—who was a matricide, proclaimed his divinity on coins as the "Savior and Benefactor of the World," and was the first emperor to persecute Christians—signifies the Antichrist.

If the Latin (rather than the Greek) spelling "Nero Caesar" is transliterated into Hebrew (nrw qsr), the final "n" in Neron being omitted (and its corresponding value of 50), the name computes as 616, which is the number indicated in the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament (the fragment illustrated below). If "Neron Caesar" is correct, it may be that the Latin was transcribed incorrectly, perhaps because the copyist realized that this transliteration did not equate to 666 and so omitted the letter, which changed the sum to 616. Still, each digit of 666 is one less than seven, the perfect number (just as there were seven planets, seven heavens, and seven days in the week), and such mathematical play may have tended to establish 666, rather than 616.

Regardless of the number, Nero is the only name that can account for both 666 and 616, which is the most compelling argument that he, and not some other person, such as Caligula or Domitian, was intended. Too, for the number to have any significance for a reader of the first century AD, it would have to refer to a contemporary historical figure "for it is the number of a man." That other personages can be considered is a quirk of letter numeration. While it is a simple matter to determine the value of a word or phrase by adding the numerical equivalent of its letters, it is impossible to reverse the process with any certainty. The number alone is not sufficient to determine the corresponding word; rather, there needs to be additional information.

Reactions: HTacianas
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, Revelations is one of my favorite books of the Bible I would like Christian thoughts on what the Mark Of The Beast actually is, it says those with wisdom will know what the Mark Of The Beast is, do you count yourself wise?

My thought on the Mark is that it is an intensified love of the world rather than a love of God in the Truth He has revealed in Christ.

As for whether I'm wise or not, I don't know. But I might be barely wise enough to think that the "mind with wisdom" isn't necessarily referring to that of any one reader of the book of Revelation.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, Revelations is one of my favorite books of the Bible I would like Christian thoughts on what the Mark Of The Beast actually is, it says those with wisdom will know what the Mark Of The Beast is, do you count yourself wise?

This:

Libellus - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There's another fellow here who believes that it is an invisible spiritual mark (kind of a double-secret-probation) that is given throughout history whenever anyone passes a law that might prohibit a Christian from doing business, buying selling trading due to their ethics (for example, a law that mandated a Christian owned cake bakery to serve same sex couples a wedding cake or close/face penalties - the law makers, those that passed it and by extension possibly anyone responsible for voting to put them in office all receive the Mark without knowing it on a spiritual level - signed, sealed, delivered, done)

And there's another fellow that believes anyone who has received the Mark is immediately soulless/demon possessed and once that happens there's no penalty, no sin, no harm, no foul for shooting them. (if he has to, which he is absolutely convinced he will have to)

It's probably best if we don't put those two together.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are two types of marks. One is a mark, represented as a seal , given to those who are in the Body of Christ. The other is a mark, represented as the lack of a seal , for those who reject God. Both are symbolic. Another way to look at it is through the book of life. Some are blotted out , the unbelievers and some remain in ,the belivers. So a blott could be a mark as well. Blessings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟19,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It does not say those with wisdom will know what the mark is.

The book says that those with wisdom can calculate the number of the beast because it is the number of a man.

I suppose you could argue that once you know the number of the beast, then you know the man, then you will know the name.....which is the mark. The name is the mark, or the number of his name.

So you would have to apply the same calculations to the name of the man, in which you used for the number of the beast.....just reverse engineer it.....

And then we have to realize that it's not the beast that is requiring the mark(directly), it is the image of the beast that requires the mark of the beast for the first beast...not the second beast, or the image of the first beast....

Yea, I'd say it takes some wisdom there. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Mark of the Beast is some kind of microchip implant and/or electronic tattoo[29][30] that goes in or on the right hand or forehead, depending on the Bible translation used. Its purpose is to buy and sell things as if using a bank card. Without physical cash, this will make it easier to keep track and control people's spending habits, similar to Sesame Credit used in China (Revelation 13:11-18).[27][28] Abusive partners often restrict their victim's access to finances as a form of control.[1][2][3] The Anti-Christ is going to be the first person in history to control the entire world this way (Luke 9:25, Mark 8:36, Matthew 16:26, Revelation 13:1-18).[27][28] That is how evil of a man he will be (Revelation 20:4-6, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12).[4][5][6] The last generation the Anti-Christ rules over (Luke 21:12-19, Mark 13:9-13, Matthew 24:9-14, Romans 1:18-2:16, 2 Timothy 3:1-17) will be comparable to the days of Noah and Lot, possibly providing enough justification to implement this system (Ezekiel 16:49-50, Genesis 6:1-13, 18:16-19:29, Luke 17:20-37).[17][18][19] This will make black market crime impossible to carry out undetected, without relying on the barter system.

Currently, there are prototypes[26] of microchip implants for electronic transactions, identification, passwords, and other "benefits." This can easily be combined with systems like Sesame Credit.[27][28]

Electronics first became reality in the 19th century.[13][14] Because of this, the Apostle John would have had no understanding of the concept of electronics while this prophecy was being written (Revelation 22:18-19).[15][16] According to numerous Bible commentaries,[23][24][25] the Book of Daniel makes this statement regarding scientific and theological knowledge during the end times:

“But you, Daniel, close up the book and seal it. These things will happen at the time of the end. Many people will go here and there to find true knowledge."

~Daniel 12:4 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - International Children’s Bible

For theological knowledge, certain prophecies in the Bible will make more sense the closer we draw near to the end times. For scientific knowledge, there has been an explosion of progress during the last couple centuries.[20][21] The same applies for transportation as well.[20][22]

If the Mark of the Beast is WILLINGLY accepted, even under intense pressure of imprisonment and/or execution, that person accepting it is forever lost and thrown into the Lake of Fire (Luke 12:4-12, Matthew 10:26-42, Revelation 2:8-11, 20:1-15). Those accepting the Mark of the Beast are putting their trust in Mammon, not God, showing a complete lack of faith in the true, living God (Hebrews 11:1-40, Luke 12:13-34, 16:1-15, 17:6, 18:18-30, Mark 10:17-31, Matthew 6:19-34, 8:23-27, 13:53-58, 17:20, 19:16-30, Romans 1:21-25, 1 Timothy 6:3-10).[7][8] God will provide for His children during the End Times (Luke 12:4-34, 21:12-19, Mark 13:9-11, Matthew 6:25-34) as He did for the Hebrews wandering around in the Sinai Desert for forty years (Deuteronomy 8:1-6, 29:1-6, Exodus 16-17, Luke 12:22-31, Matthew 6:25-34).

When an omnipotent,[9] omnibenevolent,[10] omniscient,[11] and omnipresent,[12] Supreme Being is taking care of you, what can go wrong? (2 Chronicles 20:15, Deuteronomy 31:6, Genesis 1:1-2:25, Jeremiah 29:11, Luke 18:27, Mark 10:27, Matthew 19:26)

Even in the face of death, is living a temporary life of comfort on Earth worth giving up an eternity in Heaven? Why or why not? (Luke 9:25, Mark 8:36, Matthew 16:26, Revelation 2:8-11, 20:11-22:5)

BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS AND FALSE GOSPELS!!!
(Acts 8:9-25, 20:25-35, 2 Corinthians 11:1-15, Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 12:32, 18:14-22, Galatians 1:1-10, 5:13-26, James 3:1-18, John 8:44, 16:1-4, 1 John 4:1-6, Jude 17-22, Mark 7:1-23, 13:5-23, Matthew 7:13-29, 23:13-39, 24:4-28, 2 Peter 2:1-22, Proverbs 18:21, Revelation 22:18-19, Romans 1:18-2:16, 3:7-8, 1 Timothy 6:3-10, 2 Timothy 3:1-17, 4:1-8)

In short, if it becomes mandatory to implant anything in/on your right hand or forehead, is required for making daily financial transactions, and refusal leads to execution, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!!!

Ultimately, none of us will know the day nor the hour of the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. Anyone claiming to have 'discovered' a specific date for the End Times is automatically a false prophet! (Luke 17:20-37, Mark 13:32-37, Matthew 24:36-51)
  1. Financial abuse | Womenshealth.gov
  2. Learn more about Financial Abuse
  3. Financial Abuse: Often the First Sign of Domestic Abuse
  4. How Narcissists Use Money to Abuse
  5. Economic and Financial Abuse ~ A Narcissist Dream Plan Exposed
  6. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/toxic-relationships/201806/how-handle-narcissistic-abuse
  7. Definition of mammon | Dictionary.com
  8. mammon | Definition, New Testament, Etymology, & Meaning
  9. Definition of OMNIPOTENT
  10. Omnibenevolent Meaning | Best 1 Definitions of Omnibenevolent
  11. Definition of OMNISCIENT
  12. Definition of OMNIPRESENT
  13. https://www.britannica.com/technology/electronics
  14. https://ethw.org/w/images/8/87/Routray.pdf
  15. https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/when-was-the-book-of-revelation-written/
  16. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Saint-John-the-Apostle
  17. https://www.apa.org/research/action/speaking-of-psychology/empathy-narcissism
  18. https://www.linkedin [dot] com/pulse/we-losing-empathy-studies-show-narcissism-rise-mark-s-lewis/ - CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE!!!
  19. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic
  20. https://ourworldindata.org/technological-progress
  21. https://www.forbes.com/sites/school...depends-on-lifelong-learning/?sh=294c15761bd7
  22. https://www.thoughtco.com/history-of-transportation-4067885
  23. https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/gills-exposition-of-the-bible/daniel-12-4.html
  24. https://biblehub.com/commentaries/daniel/12-4.htm
  25. https://www.studylight.org/commentary/daniel/12-4.html
  26. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prototype
  27. https://www.businessinsider.com/china-social-credit-score-like-black-mirror-2016-10
  28. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186
  29. https://futurism.com/glimpse-electronic-tattoos
  30. https://www.finextra.com/news/fulls...02&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=finextrachannels - UNCONFIRMED FACTUAL REPORTING!!!

Upvote 0

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟12,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
I believe the Mark of the Beast is some kind of microchip implant and/or electronic tattoo[29][30] that goes in or on the right hand or forehead, depending on the Bible translation used. Its purpose is to buy and sell things as if using a bank card. Without physical cash, this will make it easier to keep track and control people's spending habits, similar to Sesame Credit used in China (Revelation 13:11-18).[27][28] Abusive partners often restrict their victim's access to finances as a form of control.[1][2][3] The Anti-Christ is going to be the first person in history to control the entire world this way (Luke 9:25, Mark 8:36, Matthew 16:26, Revelation 13:1-18).[27][28] That is how evil of a man he will be (Revelation 20:4-6, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12).[4][5][6] The last generation the Anti-Christ rules over (Luke 21:12-19, Mark 13:9-13, Matthew 24:9-14, Romans 1:18-2:16, 2 Timothy 3:1-17) will be comparable to the days of Noah and Lot, possibly providing enough justification to implement this system (Ezekiel 16:49-50, Genesis 6:1-13, 18:16-19:29, Luke 17:20-37).[17][18][19] This will make black market crime impossible to carry out undetected, without relying on the barter system.

Currently, there are prototypes[26] of microchip implants for electronic transactions, identification, passwords, and other "benefits." This can easily be combined with systems like Sesame Credit.[27][28]

Electronics first became reality in the 19th century.[13][14] Because of this, the Apostle John would have had no understanding of the concept of electronics while this prophecy was being written (Revelation 22:18-19).[15][16] According to numerous Bible commentaries,[23][24][25] the Book of Daniel makes this statement regarding scientific and theological knowledge during the end times:

~Daniel 12:4 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Daniel 12 - International Children’s Bible

For theological knowledge, certain prophecies in the Bible will make more sense the closer we draw near to the end times. For scientific knowledge, there has been an explosion of progress during the last couple centuries.[20][21] The same applies for transportation as well.[20][22]

If the Mark of the Beast is WILLINGLY accepted, even under intense pressure of imprisonment and/or execution, that person accepting it is forever lost and thrown into the Lake of Fire (Luke 12:4-12, Matthew 10:26-42, Revelation 2:8-11, 20:1-15). Those accepting the Mark of the Beast are putting their trust in Mammon, not God, showing a complete lack of faith in the true, living God (Hebrews 11:1-40, Luke 12:13-34, 16:1-15, 17:6, 18:18-30, Mark 10:17-31, Matthew 6:19-34, 8:23-27, 13:53-58, 17:20, 19:16-30, Romans 1:21-25, 1 Timothy 6:3-10).[7][8] God will provide for His children during the End Times (Luke 12:4-34, 21:12-19, Mark 13:9-11, Matthew 6:25-34) as He did for the Hebrews wandering around in the Sinai Desert for forty years (Deuteronomy 8:1-6, 29:1-6, Exodus 16-17, Luke 12:22-31, Matthew 6:25-34).

When an omnipotent,[9] omnibenevolent,[10] omniscient,[11] and omnipresent,[12] Supreme Being is taking care of you, what can go wrong? (2 Chronicles 20:15, Deuteronomy 31:6, Genesis 1:1-2:25, Jeremiah 29:11, Luke 18:27, Mark 10:27, Matthew 19:26)

Even in the face of death, is living a temporary life of comfort on Earth worth giving up an eternity in Heaven? Why or why not? (Luke 9:25, Mark 8:36, Matthew 16:26, Revelation 2:8-11, 20:11-22:5)

BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS AND FALSE GOSPELS!!!
(Acts 8:9-25, 20:25-35, 2 Corinthians 11:1-15, Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 12:32, 18:14-22, Galatians 1:1-10, 5:13-26, James 3:1-18, John 8:44, 16:1-4, 1 John 4:1-6, Jude 17-22, Mark 7:1-23, 13:5-23, Matthew 7:13-29, 23:13-39, 24:4-28, 2 Peter 2:1-22, Proverbs 18:21, Revelation 22:18-19, Romans 1:18-2:16, 3:7-8, 1 Timothy 6:3-10, 2 Timothy 3:1-17, 4:1-8)

In short, if it becomes mandatory to implant anything in/on your right hand or forehead, is required for making daily financial transactions, and refusal leads to execution, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS!!!

Ultimately, none of us will know the day nor the hour of the Second Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ. Anyone claiming to have 'discovered' a specific date for the End Times is automatically a false prophet! (Luke 17:20-37, Mark 13:32-37, Matthew 24:36-51)
  1. Financial abuse | Womenshealth.gov
  2. Learn more about Financial Abuse
  3. Financial Abuse: Often the First Sign of Domestic Abuse
  4. How Narcissists Use Money to Abuse
  5. Economic and Financial Abuse ~ A Narcissist Dream Plan Exposed
  6. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/toxic-relationships/201806/how-handle-narcissistic-abuse
  7. Definition of mammon | Dictionary.com
  8. mammon | Definition, New Testament, Etymology, & Meaning
  9. Definition of OMNIPOTENT
  10. Omnibenevolent Meaning | Best 1 Definitions of Omnibenevolent
  11. Definition of OMNISCIENT
  12. Definition of OMNIPRESENT
  13. electronics | Devices, Facts, & History
  14. https://ethw.org/w/images/8/87/Routray.pdf
  15. When was the book of Revelation written? | NeverThirsty
  16. Saint John the Apostle | Biography, Facts, Feast Day, Writings, & Death
  17. Speaking of Psychology: The decline of empathy and the rise of narcissism
  18. https://www.linkedin [dot] com/pulse/we-losing-empathy-studies-show-narcissism-rise-mark-s-lewis/ - CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE!!!
  19. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-narcissism-epidemic
  20. Technological Progress
  21. The Future Of Your Career Depends On Lifelong Learning
  22. From Horses to Rocket Ships: A Brief History of Getting Around
  23. Daniel 12:4 - Meaning and Commentary on Bible Verse
  24. Daniel 12:4 Commentaries: "But as for you, Daniel, conceal these words and seal up the book until the end of time; many will go back and forth, and knowledge will increase."
  25. Daniel 12:4 - Verse-by-Verse Bible Commentary - StudyLight.org
  26. Definition of PROTOTYPE
  27. China might use data to create a score for each citizen based on how trustworthy they are
  28. China 'social credit': Beijing sets up huge system
  29. How electronic tattoos will change the world — and ourselves
  30. Electronic tattoos pitched for payments and fitness tracking - UNCONFIRMED FACTUAL REPORTING!!!
So you are saying the Mark Of The Beast will be something like this then?
Link = The Possibility Of A Dystopian Singularity

If that is the case, I consider that we both think that is absolutely wrong usage of such technologies.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The most important thing to understand about the book of the Revelation is that it is in a category of genre literature known as apocalyptic. The word "apocalypse" comes from the Greek apokalypsis, literally meaning "an unveiling" or "revelation". This is also why the traditional and older name for the book is The Apocalypse, specifically The Apocalypse of St. John.

The author, a man who calls himself simply "John", tells us that when he was exiled to the island of Patmos he experienced a series of visions, the Revelation is those visions written down. It is addressed to seven local Christian communities in the Roman province of Asia, often called "Asia Minor", roughly corresponding with south-western Turkey today.

This is important, because the text had a specific audience in mind--the seven churches in Asia. And the text is written in a specific kind of literary style--apocalyptic. A very common literary style within 2nd Temple period Judaism. In the Christian Bible the only other apocalypse is the book of Daniel, though the book of the Prophet Ezekiel is often considered a kind of "proto-apocalypse" as it contains many elements that would become defining features of apocalyptic literature.

Common themes in apocalyptic literature: The author, sometimes a pseudonymous person, is granted privilege to be escorted by a heavenly agent to behold visions and wonders from a heavenly perspective. And the things they see are highly graphic, complicated, big loud symbolic imagery.

So, for example, in John's Revelation here, he describes seeing a beast rising out of the sea, and he talks about "the Beast" suffering from a mortal wound and then being brought to life again by the power of "the dragon". That's weird stuff. But it's all intentional symbolic imagery as well.

In the ancient world a mark was often associated with allegiance and ownership. Thus the "mark of the Beast" is foremost about one's loyalty to "the Beast". It's not about a literal mark, but rather about being marked by, being owned by.

So, for example, in the Torah God instructed the Jews to be "marked" by His Torah, saying that His Law should be in their hearts, on their right hands, and between their eyes on their forehead. By this what is meant is that God's people are a people whose identity is with His Torah, with His Law, and the Covenant He established with them.

In St. Paul's letter to the Ephesian church he writes that Christians have been sealed by the Holy Spirit through the Gospel. The Holy Spirit as God's mark and seal on His people.

Even later on in the Revelation we read that God's people receive a mark on their foreheads, a seal that they are His.

So this is the first thing to understand about the "mark of the Beast", is that it's about belonging to, being identified with, one's loyalties or allegiance, etc.

What is really important is to ask the question who is John talking about? Who is "the Beast"? John is very careful not to give us too much information, he gives just enough to help his readers make sense of things. That is what the meaning of "let him who has wisdom understand", that is, "use your brain and see what I'm telling you". John's clue that he offers is the number of the Beast's name.

A number of a name sounds weird to us today, but it made perfect sense in the ancient world. In Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew, even Latin numbers were written using characters from one's writing system. Hence Roman numerals.

As such you could take any word or name and simply add the numerical values of the individual characters together to reach a number. So, for example, the Greek word for "God" is Theos (θεός), let's break that down:

ΘEΟΣ

Θ = 90
E = 5
Ο = 70
Σ = 200

ΘEΟΣ = 90+5+70+200 = 365

This is what John is doing here, he gives us the sum of the name, it's final number, which is six hundred and sixty-six (not six six six); though some manuscripts give an alternative number of six hundred and sixteen.

So the name of the Beast, when added together, adds up to six hundred and sixty-six.

Thus John's readers were being expected to be able to use this clue to understand who "the Beast" is.

I could offer my own understanding and how I've come to read the text, but the thing about the Revelation of St. John is that it is the most highly contentious book in the entire Christian Canon.

Everyone and their uncle has an opinion about it. And, this might seem odd, but unlike most of the books of the Bible, "official" views on the Revelation are basically non-existent in most historic/traditional Christian circles. Outside of the Revelation as being a kind of "peek" into the liturgical worship of heaven--which has become a deep influence in historic Christian worship throughout history--there really aren't any official positions on the meaning(s) of the text here.

It is really only among a few relatively modern Christian groups, and certain "end times" focused religious circles where the Revelation is given a major dogmatic position.

It's a fascinating book, but I'd never tell someone new to the faith or outside the faith, or even someone who has been a Christian for a long time to go and try and "figure out" the Revelation, especially by themselves. That's a nightmare.

And that's also a really good way to get people to come up with any idea they happen to want, and run with it, regardless of whether it has any merit or not.

To put it another way, most Christians don't get their eschatology from the book of the Revelation; and those groups of Christians who do have, historically, always been on the fringes. Usually associated with apocalyptic, and at times, even violent cults--such as the apocalyptic groups in the 16th century that tried to establish "the New Jerusalem" and "the Millennium" on earth through violent revolution.

And, to be frank, that still holds true today.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is far more certain to know what people will need to do to get the mark (commit idolatry) than it is to know what the mark will be. If you don't commit idolatry, you won't get it - and you will either be killed, imprisoned, or on the run from one of those fates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this is all interesting to hear your views on all this.

There sure are a lot of strange thoughts suggested here. Let me share what I see in our Holy Bible, which is made quite clear in the Book of Revelation. The so-called "mark" of the "Beast" as described in Scripture is the number: 666 which is required by Satan's agents ---those two rulers on earth AFTER the Church is translated up to Heaven (called 'the rapture'): being the government down here as the 'political' and the 'religious' rulers. They are the authority on the earth then (Revelation 13). All the lost souls left behind when the Lord Jesus calls His "bride" --the Church, Home to Himself, will face this terrible 'tribulation' for seven years, as Revelation shows.

This mark must be accepted in that day called: the 'Tribulation' (note Matthew 24:29) to keep from being slaughtered and to buy anything when these 'beasts' rule. It will be seven years of terrible bondage after the Church is gone from earth. After that time, the Lord will return to the earth with His "bride" ---the Church, to overthrow Satan and reign a "thousand years" in righteousness, as was denied Him by the works of Satan --- which God allowed to purge the earth. If one is NOT saved today they will have no part in Heaven; and when they die they will go to Hades until cast into the "lake of fire" after Satan is first sent there. Well, there is more to the picture, but this is the essence of the matter now. Are YOU saved now by faith in the Savior --the Lord Jesus?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't believe we will "know" what it is until we see it. But it will be some form of acceptance of a device, mark, or symbol, that aligns us with the "man of sin", the beast. The beast is a man who says He is God and performs the signs of a god. Taking the mark aligns you with him, his doctrine, and worship of him.

Upvote 0