what is the longest you have gone without sinning?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In that stament Paul is referencing when in his past he tried to do things with the flesh alone. Because in the next chapter he says walk in the spirit and you'll not fulfill the lust of the flesh. He's emphasizing that through the spirit you can do good because every gift and perfect gift comes down from the father of lights (god). So if you have the spirit of Jesus in you you can deny the flesh.
No, he is not referencing his past because it is written in the present tense, "that which I do."

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But angels aren't flawed human beings.
My point was that we're not glorifying ourselves to God-status simply by abstaining from committing sin. Even cats and dogs are sinless.

"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." Psalm 51
I don't subscribe to a literal interpretation of that, and I don't think there's enough scripture to warrant a doctrine that proclaims that all babies are sinful at birth.

Except that no man except for Jesus has lived without sinning at all.
It doesn't matter. One need not actually demonstrate a moon-landing to at least in theory say it's possible to land on the moon. There's the theoretical, which refers to possibilities and the actual, which may show that no man has lived sinless despite his God-given ability to do so. So, even if no one actually has done it, I think it's important to say that it's possible, otherwise you must conclude that God has created a world in which it is logically impossible for him to freely choose to abstain from sin, and I'm not a Calvinist, but if you are, I guess it would make sense in that perspective.

Scripture doesn't say that drinking beer is sinful. Becoming intoxicated is sinful.
yes, that's right, I should have clarified that.
But a single unrighteous thought--a flash of unrighteous anger, a moment of lust, is sin. And, as I have said several time, many, perhaps most of our sin, is by what we do not do. Do you really love your neighbor as yourself? And remember, your neighbor isn't just the nice old man who lets his dog poop in your yard, your neighbor is also the drunk driver who killed your spouse, the criminal who raped your daughter. Do you really love them as you love yourself?
In reality, there's no such thing as "a flash" of unrighteous anger, or lust. It's more of a larger time interval than that, and the bible says that in
1 Cor 10: 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
From what I can tell reading that verse, all sin is avoidable, even if no man has accomplished avoiding all sin. Even if every man sinned literally every minute, it would still be possible to avoid all sin.
As for loving our neighbor, I think there are degrees of love and hate, and we aren't sinning if we don't give a hug to everyone we see. It's good that we pray for all people, and do good for others.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are the one who starting talking about baptism, not me. I said washed in the blood of the Lamb.
do you even know what that means lol. Like when people ask them how do they get saved you just say washed in the blood?

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Adultery, which means not only sexual intercourse but even looking at a woman with lust in your heart.

Blasphemy, which can be by thought, word or deed.

Idolatry, love of money or any physical object.
Well, it's hard at first, but over time with practice and discipline even lust in the heart can be avoided, and blasphemy, and idolatry.
I think you are trying to suggest that the things you've mentioned are unavoidable, and inescapable, but 1 Cor 10:13 applies to the sins of the eyes, and thoughts as well. All sin is avoidable, and no temptation is inescapable. I'm not saying I myself have a great record of sinless living, but I feel like over time I've become more disciplined, and anyone in Christ can walk holy and abstain from sin.

• Agree
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Let's see...just off the top of my head...

Romans 3...whole chapter...

That's about the Jews and the Law, having to keep it in their own power. Tell me how Jesus changed us and our relationship with sin?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's about the Jews and the Law, having to keep it in their own power. Tell me how Jesus changed us and our relationship with sin?
So..."none is righteous, no not one..." only means Jews? Gentile believers, by default are righteous...because we're gentiles?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So..."none is righteous, no not one..." only means Jews? Gentile believers, by default are righteous...because we're gentiles?

No, Gentiles too. Anyone without Christ.

P.S. I'll be gone swimming for about 3 hours, I'll talk to you later.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
do you even know what that means lol. Like when people ask them how do they get saved you just say washed in the blood?
I do know what blood of the Lamb means. It referred to the death of our Lord as a substitutionary sacrifice. It does not reference baptism. If you are going to debate this you really need to learn what things mean.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do know what blood of the Lamb means. It referred to the death of our Lord as a substitutionary sacrifice. It does not reference baptism. If you are going to debate this you really need to learn what things mean.
No I'm not suggesting that the blood of the lamb means baptism. But the reason why you sin so much is because you believe that his sacrifice is your salvation. He even straight up said himself verily very I say unto thee accept ye be born of water and spirit you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. He himself even got baptized and got the Holy Ghost to show us an example. He even went around going through walls and such after resurrection to show us how we will be in spirit in the 2nd life. You shouldn't look at Jesus and be like man I can sin all the time now... in fact the way he lived is a slap in the face for all who read on him because he isnt around sinning and hating others. Heck I still read on jesus and get convicted about things I need to work on, you should too. He showed us we can be free from sin through the Holy Ghost, that we can too doeth the works of the father, he didn't come to justify sin but he condemned it. And man when he was in earth he reallly got on people like you and me who should know better. he was soft with those who didn't know better but we are those that know better and should act on what the word while we have it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
what is the longest you have gone without sinning?
Oh, about 10 minutes. If I got a dollar for every time I used 1 John 1:9, I would be rich and able to retire without ever having to work again!

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't sound like you actually are asking for Christian advice, but we know from Scripture that even the just man falls seven times a day. Therefore, any answer would have to be in terms of how many minutes ago.

And how do we count the ones we're planning?

About 20 years ago, I attempted a practice at the close of my evening prayers of asking the Holy Spirit to walk me though the day, from waking to that moment, and point out all the instances that my decisions and actions varied from His ideal guidance.

I didn't keep that up very long...it really cut deeply into my sleep periods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sin is a condition of the heart. As long as we have a broken, stoney heart we are sinful by our very nature. It's not the period of time between sin that matters, or the amount of sin, or the severity of sin...it's our sinful hearts that need to be replaced. See Ezekiel 36 & Jeremiah 31.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sin is a condition of the heart. As long as we have a broken, stoney heart we are sinful by our very nature. It's not the period of time between sin that matters, or the amount of sin, or the severity of sin...it's our sinful hearts that need to be replaced. See Ezekiel 36 & Jeremiah 31.
Which is why you replace it like David did right? "Create in me a clean new heart"

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know because I don't keep track of sins but it's quite a long time and it feels good :)
That's because you are resting in Christ and you know where you stand with God. That's where your peace comes from.

Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's because you are resting in Christ and you know where you stand with God. That's where your peace comes from.

I pretty much feel the same way.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who has an international ministry. He gets letters asking for Christian counsel. He got one from an African guy who said that every time he sees a girl's "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]" he gets lustful feelings. My friend gave him wise counsel with the appropriate religious words, but he told me what he really wanted to say was, "Tie a knot in it!" Of course, my friend was brought up on a New Zealand dairy farm, and they are known for being straight talkers!

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, Gentiles too. Anyone without Christ.

P.S. I'll be gone swimming for about 3 hours, I'll talk to you later.
Hope you had a nice time swimming.

Could you tell me how one achieves sinlessness on this side of eternity? I've been saved for 17 years, and was raised in church before then...so I've been hearing the word of God for as long as I can remember, but I've never...until today...heard or read someone say that we can live a sinless life.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hope you had a nice time swimming.

Could you tell me how one achieves sinlessness on this side of eternity? I've been saved for 17 years, and was raised in church before then...so I've been hearing the word of God for as long as I can remember, but I've never...until today...heard or read someone say that we can live a sinless life.
I mean you sure? Thy word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against thee? Sin not but if ye sin he have an advocate with the father? Walk in the spirit and you'll not fulfill the list of the flesh???? Being then made free from sin ye became the servsnts of rightesouness?

Upvote 0