what is the longest you have gone without sinning?

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I would say that anyone who claims to be blameless needs to search themselves and ask God to shed light on the area of their life that needs to be improved on...pride and boastfulness are sins unto themselves...
Applause.gif~c200

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
When we accept Christ into our lives and become born again, that does not mean He has waved some sort of magic wand and made us sin free. Think of it like this...you have a nice, clean, crisp, beautiful white shirt...it looks absolutely gorgeous the first time you put it on, you're so proud of it and you want everyone to see it. They think it's beautiful too...but you wear this shirt everyday, you don't wash it, you don't take care of it...it gets rained on...you spill food on it...you fall into a mud hole while wearing it...it's soiled, it stinks and looks like it should be thrown away, like there is no hope for this shirt...then one day you throw it in the wash, with some bleach, and it comes out looking brand new. And you are able to wear it again, and it looks beautiful again. But, just because it's now clean, that doesn't mean it can't get stained again...so at lunch you have a hot dog and you spill mustard on your pretty white shirt.

By your logic once the shirt is washed it can never be stained again. So, tell me...when the mustard spilled on your pretty white shirt did it just keep on rolling down to the floor? Or did it set in and stain your shirt so it had to be washed again?

The only way it would be possible for the shirt to not become stained again would be after you washed it to cover it in plastic and hang it in your closet...but, you know...even then something catastrophic could happen, like maybe a storm comes through and a tree falls on the house, right over the closet. The tree rips through the plastic, exposing the shirt...now it's covered in debris, and tattered and torn. So, in all actuality, there is always a chance that this shirt will get dirty again, no matter how much you try to protect it.

Now, this is a very simplified analogy, but the point is this...no matter how faithful one is, no matter how righteous, they are human. And, as a human they have a sinful nature, and at times are going to mess up. It could be as simple as rolling your eyes at your wife, or calling someone an idiot when they cut you off in traffic, but we all fall short of the glory of God. But, as Believers, when we fall, we recognize that we have and we repent of our sin, we seek counsel from the Holy Spirit to keep us from making that error again.

I would say that anyone who claims to be blameless needs to search themselves and ask God to shed light on the area of their life that needs to be improved on...pride and boastfulness are sins unto themselves...

Do you know this is the opposite of what the apostles and Jesus taught?

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
That was a lot to explain one point but this is why in my other reply not long after that one I explained sinlessness vs perfection the Holy Ghost allows you to stop sinning (after about 3 weeks in I stopped) but then comes sanctification where you get cleansed and develop each day. I'm not saying perfection is automatic which I explained earlier, but rather denying sin can be through the spirit of god. Perfection takes time as you explained in this reply, but sin can be gone instantly if a person after being saved deals with it. The apostles were after pentocost for example sinless but not perfect

I would have to argue that perfection is not anything one can achieve this side of glory. Are some more righteous than others? Yes. However, we are all subject to fall...until the day we are with Him in paradise.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
That was a lot to explain one point but this is why in my other reply not long after that one I explained sinlessness vs perfection the Holy Ghost allows you to stop sinning (after about 3 weeks in I stopped) but then comes sanctification where you get cleansed and develop each day. I'm not saying perfection is automatic which I explained earlier, but rather denying sin can be through the spirit of god. Perfection takes time as you explained in this reply, but sin can be gone instantly if a person after being saved deals with it. The apostles were after pentocost for example sinless but not perfect sanctification which helps us get rid of remaining weights and such takes a lot of washing as you put it

Exactly!

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would have to argue that perfection is not anything one can achieve this side of glory. Are some more righteous than others? Yes. However, we are all subject to fall...until the day we are with Him in paradise.
Jude 1:24

“Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,” and tbh I agree perfection isn't achieved much on this side but it's been done by a few in the Bible and 2 got taken up. The Bible says be ye peefect as your father in heaven is peefect for a reason it's possible, and he wants us to try because we never know we may achieve it. I agree we are subject to fall I just don't believe we have to fall if we have the Holy Ghost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Oh is it? Please do tell.

Tell me what this verse means:

1 John 3:4-9New King James Version (NKJV)
Sin and the Child of God

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Jude 1:24

“Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,” and tbh I agree perfection isn't achieved much on this side but it's been done by a few in the Bible and 2 got taken up. The Bible says he peefect as he is peefect for areason he wants us to try because we never know we may achieve it. I agree we are subject to fall I just don't believe we have to fall if we have the Holy Ghost
I won't disagree on the point that we should strive for perfection...we should try our best to imitate Christ...but, because of our sinful nature, at some point, we will fail. And we may fail because of things we do, or things we don't do.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I won't disagree on the point that we should strive for perfection...we should try our best to imitate Christ...but, because of our sinful nature, at some point, we will fail. And we may fail because of things we do, or things we don't do.
Fair enough we both agree at least that we must wash and wash and continue to be sanctified. We just disagree on sin is all.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tell me what this verse means:

1 John 3:4-9New King James Version (NKJV)
Sin and the Child of God

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous. 8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil. 9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.
I assume your argument would then be that if one confesses Christ but slips and sins then they were never truly saved, correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Why should we fail? Because of our flesh? Don't you know we are new creatures in Christ? Why? Because we are now dead to sin, and Jesus has given us His Holy Spirit.

So far, you are giving human reasoning without any scripture references. Do you have any? If not, that's okay. Maybe you'll learn something new today.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That only addresses sins we are born with. The Bible says we are shaped in inequity which means we add stuff that we must deal with as we live and work to remove
How does the blood of the Lamb only deal with sins we are born with?

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does the blood of the Lamb only deal with sins we are born with?
Because we still sin because the Bible says we are shapeth in inequity. Being baptized in Jesus name which is what we got through his death only rids born sins and only does so much. Holy Ghost filling or being born of spirit allows an individual to be Holy and still adding inequity this came through his resurrection. His death simply justified us and that's it so we could be qualified to be adopted through something we can now seek known as the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That was a lot to explain one point but this is why in my other reply not long after that one I explained sinlessness vs perfection the Holy Ghost allows you to stop sinning (after about 3 weeks in I stopped) but then comes sanctification where you get cleansed and develop each day. I'm not saying perfection is automatic which I explained earlier, but rather denying sin can be through the spirit of god. Perfection takes time as you explained in this reply, but sin can be gone instantly if a person after being saved deals with it. The apostles were after pentocost for example sinless but not perfect sanctification which helps us get rid of remaining weights and such takes a lot of washing as you put it

The apostles were sinless? Then why did Paul and Peter argue? Why did Paul write "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because we still sin because the Bible says we are shapeth in inequity. Being baptized in Jesus name which is what we got through his death only rids born sins and only does so much. Holy Ghost filling or being born of spirit allows an individual to be Holy and still adding inequity this came through his resurrection. His death simply justified us and that's it so we could be qualified to be adopted through something we can now seek known as the Holy Spirit.
I never said anything about baptism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why should we fail? Because of our flesh? Don't you know we are new creatures in Christ? Why? Because we are now dead to sin, and Jesus has given us His Holy Spirit.

So far, you are giving human reasoning without any scripture references. Do you have any? If not, that's okay. Maybe you'll learn something new today.

Let's see...just off the top of my head...

Romans 3...whole chapter...

Upvote 0

Near

In Christ we rise
Dec 7, 2012
✟24,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because that is what the original language words mean. It meant that in English also before the KJV was published.

Sin = missing the mark (the bulls eye)

Anything that does NOT include this artificially restricts the definition.
Missing the mark is arbitrary if we don't include the context of what it means to miss the mark, which means doing something immoral, lawless. Since sin is doing something immoral. 1 John 3:4 Everyone who practices sin practices lawlessness as well. Indeed, sin is lawlessness.
if sin=missing the mark, then missing the mark=lawlessness, and we know what lawlessness looks like. Adultery, blasphemy, idolatry, etc.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The apostles were sinless? Then why did Paul and Peter argue? Why did Paul write "I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."
In that stament Paul is referencing when in his past he tried to do things with the flesh alone. Because in the next chapter he says walk in the spirit and you'll not fulfill the lust of the flesh. He's emphasizing that through the spirit you can do good because every gift and perfect gift comes down from the father of lights (god). So if you have the spirit of Jesus in you you can deny the flesh.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Missing the mark is arbitrary if we don't include the context of what it means to miss the mark, which means doing something immoral, lawless. Since sin is doing something immoral. 1 John 3:4 Everyone who practices sin practices lawlessness as well. Indeed, sin is lawlessness.
if sin=missing the mark, then missing the mark=lawlessness, and we know what lawlessness looks like. Adultery, blasphemy, idolatry, etc.

Adultery, which means not only sexual intercourse but even looking at a woman with lust in your heart.

Blasphemy, which can be by thought, word or deed.

Idolatry, love of money or any physical object.

Upvote 0