What is the Level of Education that a Pastor has?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
lionroar0 said:
In OBOB we were discussing the level of eduction a priest has before becoming ordained. Education level of Catholic Priests.

Then I started wondering what level of educations non-catholic pastors have.

So here it goes. What level of education do non-catholic pastors?

Peace

It take the guidance of the Holy Spirit, calling of Jesus, and an ordination from God. Which all comes from a total life of devotion to Christ. There are so many pastors, preachers that are mamma called or seminary called that don't need to be preaching.

Don't get me wrong folks, I have absolutely nothing against seminary. But the Holy Spirit is our only true guide to becoming what God has ordained us to be.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dentonz said:
Don't get me wrong folks, I have absolutely nothing against seminary. But the Holy Spirit is our only true guide to becoming what God has ordained us to be.

I do, because it is a time waster. Once a person gets a BA in theology, that should be good enough. At that point the seminary is the field, and the books that ought to be studied are the hearts of men, women, and children, whom the disciple of God endeavors to bring to Christ, not the minds of PHDs.

The disciples didn't need to go to seminary, and yet they were highly successful in their work. So why can't we be just as successful as they were without an MA or PHD, or even a BA for that matter?

A disciple's success in this endeavor does not depend on his intellectual prowess, but solely on his willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to govern his mind.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
lionroar0 said:
In OBOB we were discussing the level of eduction a priest has before becoming ordained. Education level of Catholic Priests.

Peace

It varies, but in my denomination (and in most major protestant ones known to me), it is as follows:
1. A Bachelor degree, usually any field is okay. It needs to include biblical Hebrew and Greek to the point of being fluent - although this can be done in addition to seminary studies for the student who didn't include this.
2. A seminary degree. This is usually 4 years, one of which MAY be an internship or such may be incorporated into the 4 years or it may follow 4 years of grad school.

For my father (a minister):

1. A BA with highest honors. He majored in History (I think!). He took 3 years of Hebrew and 3 of Greek. He also took German and Latin.

2. A Master's of Divinity degree from a denominational seminary. There were 4 departments: Biblical studies, Systemmatics/Doctrine, Historical studies, and Ministry Studies. He majored in systemmatics. There was a 3 day final written examine, a thesis and an oral defense of the thesis.

3. He completed 2 years of internship - one year working in clinical settings, mostly as a hospital minister. And one year working in a congregation as a pastoral intern.

4. He worked for 7 years (part time) on his doctorate degree, which is in comparative doctrine and ecumenical studies. Most of this he did "in extension" also he did several summer sessions at the seminary, too.

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
woobadooba said:
I do, because it is a time waster. Once a person gets a BA in theology, that should be good enough. At that point the seminary is the field, and the books that ought to be studied are the hearts of men, women, and children, whom the disciple of God endeavors to bring to Christ, not the minds of PHDs.

The disciples didn't need to go to seminary, and yet they were highly successful in their work. So why can't we be just as successful as they were without an MA or PHD, or even a BA for that matter?

A disciples success in this endeavor does not depend on his intellectual prowess, but solely on his willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to govern his mind.

As the wife of a seminary student....all I can say is :amen:

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

CaliforniaJosiah said:
It varies, but in my denomination (and in most major protestant ones known to me), it is as follows:
1. A Bachelor degree, usually any field is okay. It needs to include biblical Hebrew and Greek to the point of being fluent - although this can be done in addition to seminary studies for the student who didn't include this.
2. A seminary degree. This is usually 4 years, one of which MAY be an internship or such may be incorporated into the 4 years or it may follow 4 years of grad school.

For my father (a minister):

1. A BA with highest honors. He majored in History (I think!). He took 3 years of Hebrew and 3 of Greek. He also took German and Latin.

2. A Master's of Divinity degree from a denominational seminary. There were 4 departments: Biblical studies, Systemmatics/Doctrine, Historical studies, and Ministry Studies. He majored in systemmatics. There was a 3 day final written examine, a thesis and an oral defense of the thesis.

3. He completed 2 years of internship - one year working in clinical settings, mostly as a hospital minister. And one year working in a congregation as a pastoral intern.

4. He worked for 7 years (part time) on his doctorate degree, which is in comparative doctrine and ecumenical studies. Most of this he did "in extension" also he did several summer sessions at the seminary, too.

Pax.

- Josiah

Whoah! Your dad sounds like my husband although my husband is in business not Ministry.

What a roll model for young folks!
You must be soooo proud of him.

What denomination, do you mind me asking?

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:

A disciple's success in this endeavor does not depend on his intellectual prowess, but solely on his willingness to allow the Holy Spirit to govern his mind.

Of course, one must remember that the disciples had an excellent teacher for more than three years. I would think that this is more than equal to any PhD. I would swap mine for their education any day.;)

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Reactions: FriarTuck
Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
cristoiglesia said:
Of course, one must remember that the disciples had an excellent teacher for more than three years. I would think that this is more than equal to any PhD. I would swap mine for their education any day.;)

Fr. Joseph

Amen !! :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
cristoiglesia said:

Fr. Joseph

They certainly did. And we do too,

Jesus said:
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
;)

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
woobadooba said:
They certainly did. And we do too,

;)

You are certainly right. I remember my calling to the ministry and how I was overcome by a sense of responsibility not to teach error. That is the one thing that drove me to seek knowledge and degrees. Perhaps the reason I did not go immediately into the pastoral ministry after seminary is because I was scared of teaching error.

But, I do know that the curse of being a minister is that ones quest for learning is never satisfied as the more one knows the more one realizes their ignorance. this fact becoming more and more apparent is very humbling.

Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,495.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Education does not a pastor make.

The most important requirement a pastor (or RC priest) must have is a heart willing to be obedient to God and knowing belief that he has been called to the pastorate.

There are pastors in place today that have no college training and there are pastors who posess doctorates. The primary reason many (if not most) denominational pastors go to seminary is to be indoctrinated in the teachings of their particular denomination. But a college degree is not required by God to be a minister. In fact the most commonly used verses for the requirements of a pastor (Timothy 3 & Titus 1) do not even mention education for leaders of the Body. It was only after men created denominations that it was decided to have denominational seminaries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that it's all over the map. Many non-denoms require nothing except the ability to start and grow a church. But I think many mainline denoms. have more extensive requirements. Although the level of education does not necessarily equal the best pastor, because we are 2,000 years removed from the original teachings, it's important to gain knowledge that can be used to educate the congregation.

Reactions: cristoiglesia
Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
revrobor said:
Education does not a pastor make.

The most important requirement a pastor (or RC priest) must have is a heart willing to be obedient to God and knowing belief that he has been called to the pastorate.

There are pastors in place today that have no college training and there are pastors who posess doctorates. The primary reason many (if not most) denominational pastors go to seminary is to be indoctrinated in the teachings of their particular denomination. But a college degree is not required by God to be a minister. In fact the most commonly used verses for the requirements of a pastor (Timothy 3 & Titus 1) do not even mention education for leaders of the Body. It was only after men created denominations that it was decided to have denominational seminaries.

I have a lot of empathy for this position. I have also known good pastors with limited education. the fact is that any formal education only really gives one the tools to learn and not necessarily practical knowledge.

From the very beginning education was very important for the clergy. We see the disciples taking on disciples and training them sometimes several at a time. We know , for instance that St. Ignatius and St. Polycarp were the disciples of St. John. Soon actual schools were established in Alexandria and elsewhere.

So while I disagree with your historical perspective I have empathy for your emphasis on the calling but I can not understand how one who is called would not seek as much knowledge as possible so that they would not be unintentionally seduced into false teaching.

In Christ
Fr. Joseph:crossrc:

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peaceful Dove said:
It feels to me that I sense resistance to education or at least reluctance among some folks here.
Is it that some believe it isn't necessary but other believe it is actually harmful.

What is this about?

It is a complete puzzle to me.
I would think the more a person knows about anything, the better they can teach and even minister.

The issue has nothing to do with education itself as being bad, but with what is necessary insofar as being educated is concerned.

Personally, I feel that pastors should be educated. My contention however, is with those who feel that it is necessary to have an MDiv, or a PHD in theology to be effective soul winners for Christ.

You see, it isn't the degree that you merit in a university that matters so much here, but to the degree in which you are willing to allow the Holy Spirit to govern your mind. That will determine whether you will be successful or not as a minister of the gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KEMMER

Mar 7, 2006
B.C. canada
✟1,018.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
lionroar0 said:

Peace
what school or seminary did paul or the other apostles for that matter have.
the bible states that if you desire to be an overseer you have desired a noble task. it further states that you must be above reproach and the husband of one wife etc.
obviously you must be led by the spirit and be full of wisdom to lead but you definitely don't need to be ordained or schooled

Upvote 0

FriarTuck

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2005
✟10,854.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
KEMMER said:
what school or seminary did paul or the other apostles for that matter have.
the bible states that if you desire to be an overseer you have desired a noble task. it further states that you must be above reproach and the husband of one wife etc.
obviously you must be led by the spirit and be full of wisdom to lead but you definitely don't need to be ordained or schooled

Well we know that Paul had an extensive religious education. As for the Appostles can you possibly think of a better religious education than walking around with Jesus for three years. I sure can't think of a better teacher or an education.

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would hope that a Pastor at least has a four year degree in theology from a reputable seminary. Many Lutheran Pastor attend one of the Concordia colleges throughout the US. Lutherans, are second only to Catholics in the number of schools/colleges in this country. I believe that education is very important and even more so for Pastors. They have a flock to lead, all those people's souls are in his hands, and he must be properly and Biblically educated. Most Pastors I know have more than the minimium, many have masters or doctorates. Our Pastor recently finished his doctorate and we jokingly call him Dr. Pastor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.