• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What is the Level of Education that a Pastor has?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by lionroar0, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single
    In OBOB we were discussing the level of eduction a priest has before becoming ordained. Education level of Catholic Priests.

Then I started wondering what level of educations non-catholic pastors have.

So here it goes. What level of education do non-catholic pastors?

Peace

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dragons87

Dragons87 The regal Oriental kind; not evil princess-napper

+159
    Protestant
    Single
    A degree from a seminary, at least?

3. Peaceful Dove

Peaceful Dove Guest

+0
    Does anyone know how long that takes?

We have a few folks in our area, one I know very well has only been a Christian about 2 years who is starting his own Church.
    He has no formal training or schooling at all above High School.

4. Gwenyfur

Gwenyfur Legend

+3,117
    Pagan
    In Relationship
    US-Constitution
    My husband who is now in seminary, will have a bachelor's degree in theology...when he finishes in 4 more years...
    That makes 5 years total education after high school...

We'll be pushing 40 when he's done...

He takes both secular courses such as math, science, history, english as well as theology courses...
    Hope that answer the question..

Oh and he's baptist...

5. Peaceful Dove

Peaceful Dove Guest

+0
    Ahhh, very good, solid education.
    I can see why Baptist Pastors are so well grounded in their faith.
    Congratulate and encourage your dear husband for me, please.
    Oh, and congratulations and encouragement to you and your family.
    This is a tough time for you all.
    My husband got is graduate degree after we were married and I know what
    it can be like.

6. Gwenyfur

Gwenyfur Legend

+3,117
    Pagan
    In Relationship
    US-Constitution
    Thank you PeacefulDove :)

God's blessings and peace be with you as well :prayer:

7. IgnatiusOfAntioch

IgnatiusOfAntioch Contributor

+448
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Doctorate in Theology

8. mesue

mesue Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none.

+1,446
    Baptist
    Married
    I posted this in another forum

9. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single
    Hi Mesue

I like your post very much. It reminds me that while education is important eudcation with out formation can also be lacking. I guess my next question would be does education also inlcude formation?

Peace

10. Peaceful Dove

Peaceful Dove Guest

+0
    I think it goes a bit broader than what you are pointing out.

In fact, I think it does with nursing, too but that is another topic.

My best buddy is a Catholic Priest. He is my age, 69 yrs old and it is possible some of the schooling might have changed. He has had 12 years of formal education.
    He is a Bible Scholar. Part of his schooling was in Hebrew College where he studied scripture in ancient languages. He knows the translations and pretty much the meaning of the Gospels and Jesus teachings. This is good education.
    He also spent many years learning Church history, in his case, the first 5 centuries which he dovoted much time in.
    I won't go into more but hoping you get the idea.
    Along with that, for every day of those 12 years, he also spent a minumum of 3 hours a day in prayer.

11. lionroar0

lionroar0 Coffee drinker

+631
    Catholic
    Single

Survey says Ding! :)

Peace

12. eladoni

eladoni And the Brain.

+259
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Republican
    In the lutheran church, you go to the seminary. I think it takes about 5-6 years. you leave with a doctorite of divinity I believe.

In the lcms lutheran church, you have to serve a 1 year vickerage, where you are essentially the assistant pastor, etc. this takes place after your 3rd year, and you go back and finish in the 5th.

another differance that I'm not sure exists, is that all the lcms lutheran pastors have to know greek and hebrew, so they can read the bible in the original languages. they also should probably have a smattering of german and latin too.

My dad was ordained as a pastor, so if you have any questions specific to that denomination, I'd be happy to ask him.

I personally plan on taking the route also. :clap:

13. eladoni

eladoni And the Brain.

+259
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Republican
    I could definatly see that. taking care of a congregation is a HUGE responsibility. It takes me a while to get through my prayers, and my friends are very limited.

14. FriarTuck

FriarTuck Senior Veteran

+51
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Democrat
    ElCA Lutheran Pastors have to have a bachelors degree, preferably in the social sciences. Then they do Three years of seminary. They have to know greek before entering seminary and learn Hebrew as well. In between middle and senior year they have to do a year internship. They also have spend some time doing clinical pastoral education (CPE) in a hospital. They graduate with a Master of Divinity.

This is Luther Seminary's program http://www.luthersem.edu/catalog/05_07/mdiv.asp

15. mesue

+1,446
    Baptist
    Married
    I expected as much, and you are entitled to think. :)
    :scratch: Is this a written law somewhere? This 3 hour limit? What if they can only pray 2:59:59? Does that count?
    Anyway, I've been a nurse for more than 16 years. Experiance takes over after a fashion. I had a few Catholic Priest friends, and a few Pastor friends. I find that scholarly education counts for little if you're not in God's will. And squat if you do nothing but profile with it. As I've seem some pompus "went to Hebrew school" church leaders do. More commonly known as Religiously Lost Gas Bags. Or tinkling cymbols as Paul so aptly put it.
    Peace be unto you.

16. Iollain

Iollain Jer 18:2-6

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    I think a faithful man would go with the ministry well. Able does not always mean faithful.

17. mesue

+1,446
    Baptist
    Married
    :thumbsup:
    Nor does well educated mean capable.

18. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    True, education cannot instill faith

19. Iollain

+46
    Pentecostal
    In Relationship
    Education does not equal called either.

20. Gwenyfur

Gwenyfur Legend

+3,117
    Pagan
    In Relationship
    US-Constitution
    [​IMG]

My husband entered already knowing Hebrew...thanks to his jewish inlaws :thumbsup:

However he is having to learn greek, and he's struggling with it a bit. He caught onto Hebrew easily...so he's confused with Greek being difficult for him...but he's doing his best to muddle on through.

I ordered a parallel Bible for him for his b'day (hope it gets here in time!) but it's english/greek/hebrew so I do hope it will help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.