What is the level of activity like on Christian Forums?

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I've been absent for a long time. I was active over 8 years ago. I'm curious what the level of activity is like in comparison to those times or in recent times. What is your perception of the health of Christian Forums as a website?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Informative
Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That Alexa summary only shows a year. I think traffic is OK. However I think the amount of interesting traffic is lower than I remember. There's no interesting theology or Biblical scholarship (much of which wouldn't be permitted by the rules), and personal issues are from points of view that I find it hard to empathize with or provide useful feedback for.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
That Alexa summary only shows a year. I think traffic is OK. However I think the amount of interesting traffic is lower than I remember. There's no interesting theology or Biblical scholarship (much of which wouldn't be permitted by the rules), and personal issues are from points of view that I find it hard to empathize with or provide useful feedback for.

I'm starting to come to that realization myself. I think I've had better discussions with Catholics and Orthodox in the past year, but otherwise I'm discovering the same thing you say, that most of the content here is from a very different point-of-view that I can't empathize with.

I've seen mainline Christians over the years become alienated on this forum, because the environment here is so restricted about many cultural issues. I'd like it to be a place that is friendlier to everybody. There's not much here that is edifying for those of us outside evangelicalism who do not gravitate around the same tribal identity markers.

• Agree
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
same tribal identity markers

I like your turn of phrase there. :clap:

The ideas of group think, group identity and identity politics have been on my mind recently.

With that in mind, I've been wondering how to explore people as individuals and to encourage people to explore themselves as individuals.

So basically numbers are down and the level of censorship has remained, perhaps even increased.

I appreciate your responses to my question. I've recently taken advantage of the lifetime premium membership. In some ways, it was from a sense of gratitude for the past. I had some great discussions here when it was more open.

In my current journey, I'm exploring the foundations of my faith again, so I've been reading in these forums mostly. I always find it better to explore the terrain before marking out my territory.

I was here at the conception of this particular sub-forum, so it has always felt like my preferred space.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
and personal issues are from points of view that I find it hard to empathize with or provide useful feedback for.

I've been reading a lot of your replies in here. I'm glad you've chosen to participate. You're opinions always seem sound and well thought out.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I appreciate your responses to my question. I've recently taken advantage of the lifetime premium membership. In some ways, it was from a sense of gratitude for the past. I had some great discussions here when it was more open.

The censorship is down a bit but actual substantive discussions haven't increased. I think the Trump victory has raised conservative evangelicals mood in that they feel less threatened and things don't push their buttons as much. But that just shows you how political alot of religion has become in the US.

• Informative
Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
The censorship is down a bit but actual substantive discussions haven't increased. I think the Trump victory has raised conservative evangelicals mood in that they feel less threatened and things don't push their buttons as much. But that just shows you how political alot of religion has become in the US.

Very interesting. I'm going to have to develop some skills in bringing conversation out of people.

I started listening to Moody radio, a Christian radio station, in my car recently and I've noticed that they are very warm towards Trump. Personally, I'm ambivalent towards Trump and politicians in general. I made it a point of principle to consider myself as a subject of the Kingdom of God, under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. In that manner all other politicians became underlings of the King of Kings. They are all just temporary holders of positions under an eternal Kingship. So it is the King that matters, and that makes life more bearable for me.

His yoke is light, as it says in the Bible.

I remember honing my writing skills here, and also my critical thinking. Both of those have become a little rusty from sitting idle for many years. I expect it will take me some time to oil the gears of my mind and temper my arguments in forum of ideas. From the sounds of it, it is going to be a challenge. :groupray:

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I started listening to Moody radio, a Christian radio station, in my car recently and I've noticed that they are very warm towards Trump. Personally, I'm ambivalent towards Trump and politicians in general.

Trump speaks the language of popular evangelicalism, because its all about emotional persuasion and selling people on promises and possibilities, and using common, folksy language, hyperbole, etc. Transparency and integrity are not as important as putting your finger on the pulse of what people are feeling and mirroring it back. I have a really hard time identifying and empathizing with this. Personally, I find this way of being Christian mostly incompatible with my religious tradition and my intellectual training.

Upvote 0

Mustaphile

Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Trump speaks the language of popular evangelicalism, because its all about emotional persuasion and selling people on promises and possibilities, and using common, folksy language, hyperbole, etc.

Yes, he is an interesting character. I think he might be foreshadowing the conservative politician of the future. Hopefully, they will become a little bit more sophisticated and be more secure about themselves.

I'm more amused and entertained by Trump than I would have been by Clinton.

A collectivized Left has destroyed its own base, in my personal opinion. If the left could champion the individual, I'd probably have some sympathy for them. Both sides are wholly wrapped up in identity politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There are cultural associations with how people practice Christianity. CF seems pretty clearly American, not by intent, but by who posts. The theological rules also disallow much of Christian theology in first-world countries outside the US. You'll note very little participation from "mainline" churches even in the US, and the liberal Catholic forum seems virtually dead.

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
CF has become very US centric as evidenced by the Alexa data... and its a ghost town compared to the glory days, so as a community site, its pretty ill. Otoh, as a revenue generator, my guess is its likely very healthy based upon time on site and bounce rate stats.

Upvote 0