Hudson
✟283,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Looking at the 10 commandments as part of the law I noticed something: they start with the phrase "thou shalt not". I have always thought it meant "do not do this", but now I don't think that's exactly what is meant.

I think that "thou shalt not" commands were intended to be understood as also commanding the reverse, such as with the command not to steell being understood as the command to be generous. See:

Ten Commandments in Reverse - CredoHouse - Making Theology Accessible

Remember, part of the purpose of the law is to show that we cannot actually do it

Nowhere in the Bible does it say this, but rather it says just the opposite. In Deuteronomy 30:15-20, God said that what he commanded was not too difficult for us, but that His Word is near us, in our hears and in our minds so that we can do it, and in Romans 10:5-10, it quotes this passage in regard to what our faith says, so this position calls God a liar and denies what our faith says.

so we need the Holy Spirit to even be able. So look at the words Thou shalt not, or you will not. Hmmm.
Doesn't it change the meaning if you read it that way? You will not? That sounds like a promise. At some point, you WILL NOT do these things. I think it is pointing to the idea that when one obtains the mind of Christ, they naturally just will not do those things. That's an eye-opener!
The spiritual man simply will not do these things while the flesh-man cannot resist them.

It is certainly reasonable to take it as a promise, after all, He who began a good work in us will be faithful to complete it on the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6).

Upvote 0

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Cryptic response...?

I don't understand, sorry...?

God Bless!

That's ok, I don't have a perfect reputation for sense.

I am just saying that the Law presents a choice between its fulfilment and its denial.

It is not just an agreement to respond a certain way, over time.

Upvote 0