United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Home - The Israel Bible

I've not heard of this before and wondered why passages from the same books/chapters/verses are completely different. Any insight?

It follows the book ordering of the Jewish Tanakh, rather than the Septuagint which Christian Old Testaments typically do.

The Jewish Bible (the Tanakh) and the Christian Old Testament are quite similar. All the books in the Tanakh are in the Old Testament, though traditionally and historically the Christian Old Testament has included books which have not been included in the Jewish Bible. The Jewish Canon and the Christian Canon developed largely side-by-side in the years following the destruction of Jerusalem. Christians by-and-large accepted the Septuagint, a translation of Jewish Scripture into Greek made several centuries before Christ, which is what the earliest Greek-speaking Christians would have probably been most familiar with; in fact where the New Testament quotes the Old Testament it is sometimes, even frequently, word-for-word from the Septuagint. With the fall of Jerusalem the center of Jewish learning moved eastward from Palestine to Mesopotamia, and a standardization and centralizing of Jewish teaching, practice, and belief formed which included several factors, one of these was a definitive Jewish Canon, the writing down of the Mishna and Gemera (together known as the Talmud), and the synagogue and rabbi becoming the locus of Jewish community (since there was no longer a Temple, a priesthood, etc).

The Septuagint follows an ordering of books by Law, History, Wisdom, and Prophets; whereas the Tanakh follows an ordering of books by Law, Prophets, and Writings. Christian Old Testaments have continued to use the Septuagint ordering over the centuries, which is why modern Bibles continue to use that same ordering.

Books which are in the Septuagint, but not the Tanakh, are often known as "Deuterocanonicals" or "The Apocrypha". These books were often usually accepted but often treated as perhaps not equal to the rest of the Old Testament, and sometimes disputed. But it wasn't really until the Protestant Reformation in the 1500's that the issue came to the forefront. Martin Luther, in his translation of the Bible into German, was of the opinion that these Deuterocanonical books, though good and worthy to be read by Christians, were not on the same level as the rest of the Old Testament; as such he relocated these books to a special location between the Old Testament and the New Testament and referred to them as "The Apocrypha". Protestant Bibles, Luther onward, followed this precedent. Protestant English Bibles stopped being printed with the Apocrypha in the mid-late 1800's, which is why most Protestants won't find them in their Bibles unless they go out of their way to get a Bible with them included; this move to stop printing them was probably largely a matter of saving money by the publishers, but it was also a period of rather intense anti-Catholic sentiment in both Britain and America which quite possibly played a role. On the other hand, the Roman Catholic Council of Trent, which was convened in large part in response to the Protestant Reformation, asserted that the Deuterocanonical books are holy and inspired Scripture and Catholic Bibles continue to be published with them. They are also fully accepted by the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Oriental Orthodox church.

A perhaps helpful chart can be found here: What's In Your Bible

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Home - The Israel Bible

I've not heard of this before and wondered why passages from the same books/chapters/verses are completely different. Any insight?
Well, it's edited by a rabbi, so generally I'd stay weary of rabbinical edits or changes - mostly, not always.

There are generally the names changed to transliterate how the actual hebraic name would be spoken in English. Like Jacob (Ya'akov) or Isaac (Yitschak), etc. That and there's a lot of pagan terms that have been introduced over the years into translations that have found themselves in the kjv and niv. Angel, holy, hell, hades, spirit, etc that my guess is that version isn't using. The original Hebrew for these words are entirely different when translated.

For instance: Angel is from the pagan godess angelos, and early depictions of her are how we today depict angels. The hebrew word that was replaced with angel was malakim, which more accurately means messenger. All of the words I mentioned earlier are just like this. Holy is a pagan festival celebrating a sun god, what it actually is - is dedicated or set apart. From the Hebrew qodesh.

So when God says "Be holy for I am holy", what He's saying is "Be dedicated because I'm dedicated".

So (and I've not read more than a few verses from the Israel bible) if that's what you mean, that's why some words are changed.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it's edited by a rabbi, so generally I'd stay weary of rabbinical edits or changes - mostly, not always.

There are generally the names changed to transliterate how the actual hebraic name would be spoken in English. Like Jacob (Ya'akov) or Isaac (Yitschak), etc. That and there's a lot of pagan terms that have been introduced over the years into translations that have found themselves in the kjv and niv. Angel, holy, hell, hades, spirit, etc that my guess is that version isn't using. The original Hebrew for these words are entirely different when translated.

These are not "pagan terms," and angelos is not a "pagan goddess." The word angelos is just the Greek word used in the New Testament. It means "angel or messenger."

"Holy" is just an English word of Germanic origin. "Spirit" is an English word borrowed from Latin. "Hades" is another Greek word found in the New Testament -- sometimes people seem to forget that the Greek New Testament is the word of God.

As to the Israel Bible, obviously it's translated with a Jewish slant. Translations of the Messianic prophecies have been altered so as not to refer to Jesus. And it's translated into a bizarre half-English-half-modern-Hebrew language ("Beit Lechem" instead of "Bethlehem" for example -- going by the Septuagint Βηθλεέμ, "Bethlehem" is probably closer to the original Hebrew).

Christians should avoid this translation.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These are not "pagan terms," and angelos is not a "pagan goddess." The word angelos is just the Greek word used in the New Testament. It means "angel or messenger."

"Holy" is just an English word of Germanic origin. "Spirit" is an English word borrowed from Latin. "Hades" is another Greek word found in the New Testament -- sometimes people seem to forget that the Greek New Testament is the word of God.

As to the Israel Bible, obviously it's translated with a Jewish slant. Translations of the Messianic prophecies have been altered so as not to refer to Jesus. And it's translated into a bizarre half-English-half-modern-Hebrew language ("Beit Lechem" instead of "Bethlehem" for example -- going by the Septuagint Βηθλεέμ, "Bethlehem" is probably closer to the original Hebrew).

Christians should avoid this translation.

I'm at work so I don't have time to go through each word mentioned, but I'll address angel.

Angel comes from the Greek "godess" Angelos or Angelia, here's one website of many. It was literally the first one that came up when I looked for the word. But deeper research reveals the same, just for time sake I grabbed this one.

Angelos (mythology) - Wikipedia

Then, here's a depiction of her. She looks roughly like the view we have of angels, older depictions too, but they miss the halo. The halo comes from another "god" but I don't have time to talk about that. I'll respond to your message in it's entirety later though.

Attachments

• 981fd45180af6550da051414d67ff20e--archangel-haniel--archangels.jpg
    981fd45180af6550da051414d67ff20e--archangel-haniel--archangels.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm at work so I don't have time to go through each word mentioned, but I'll address angel.

Angel comes from the Greek "godess" Angelos or Angelia, here's one website of many. It was literally the first one that came up when I looked for the word. But deeper research reveals the same, just for time sake I grabbed this one.

Angelos (mythology) - Wikipedia

Then, here's a depiction of her. She looks roughly like the view we have of angels, older depictions too, but they miss the halo. The halo comes from another "god" but I don't have time to talk about that. I'll respond to your message in it's entirety later though.

Angels in Christian art aren't female, they are rather consistently depicted as male/androgynous. They are depicted with wings because the Bible describes angels as having wings. The nimbus is an artistic feature that represents heavenly glory, the angels and the saints are depicted with them to show that--the reason saints are depicted with them is because the depiction is of the saints in heaven; just as the angels of heaven are depicted with them.

If you have a problem with the New Testament using ἄγγελος then take it up with the Apostles and Evangelists.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Angel comes from the Greek "godess" Angelos or Angelia, here's one website of many.

Angelos is a dictionary word meaning "angel" or "messenger." Check any Greek dictionary. It goes back at least 500 years before Christ, and is used in both the NT and the Greek OT.

Wikipedia is not reliable -- I can find no reputable source mentioning this supposed goddess. "Angelos" was apparently a title given to the goddess Artemis, but that was later.

And your "pictures" of the supposed Angelos are just somebody's imagination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0