What is THE Holy Spirit? Versus other spirit.

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
tulipbee said:
I'd like to know the difference between holy spirit and animated energy or force that makes all things living or alive.

The living energy of life one presumes is real, whatever it is. Perhaps no more than chemicals, certainly some seem to believe that of a mechanistic universe. We know how to take life, yet not how to create it from non-life.

On the other hand, "holy spirit" seems to be a more difficult to apprehend "entity";
Holy Spirit seems to be some kind of God guide, yet how do we identify it?
Where does it come from, where is it found?

The Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father. Do read the Creed sometime old chap (see CF.com Statement of Faith).

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
2. I appreciate your changing the subject to abortion, so I'll respond by saying it seems "the way the Bible has it," God breathed into Adam, and he became a person, a living soul.
PROVES THE LIFE OF A HUMAN BEING BEGINS AT BIRTH (From which we measure the length of the life of a person.) "Clay" is only a human being when God gives it breath, when it first has breath.
I differ. I think it is the spirit that gives animating life 'energy' to the triparte human being.

JAM 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead,

Genesis doesn't say he became a 'living person' or 'human being'. It says he became a 'living soul'. The Hebrew definition of soul is 'breathing creature'. Since man is a 'spirit, soul, body' being, this scripture simply references how this spirit, soul, body creation called Adam, first began walking daily in spirit. And in doing so he began walking in soulish obedience to the spirit that was one with God. And Adam did so from his first breath...leading to that of being a 'living soul' or a 'living' 'breathing creature', or as the Hebrew says a 'chay' 'nephesh'. Upon sinning he became a dying 'breathing creature' not a 'dead breathing creature'.

Questions I used to ask which the more accepted view doesn't answer. Where does the bible say a 'spirit' can die? If the spirit of Adam died, then would shooting Casper the ghost make just as much sense? And if a spirit of man can die, then how can it still give life, which it doesn't even have, to 'clay'?

I know this is different, and I hope it makes sense. Questions?

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
These are character attributes a person may possess - perhaps we attribute them to being led by the Holy Spirit.
Does the Holy Spirit itself (whatever that means) love or experience joy? I rather doubt that is a very good way to view things. A person can be those things, a person can be godly.
I honestly can't answer that question for sure. I do believe that when a 'spirit of jealousy' comes on one, they are going to manifest the 'characteristic' which 'that spirit' is desiring to manifest into the physical world. So if 'the fruit of the Holy Spirit' is being manifested in and through us is it coming FROM Him, or is it coming from something or somewhere else? I don't know...maybe.

Question; If we can "grieve the Holy Spirit" where does that 'grieving/sorrowfullness' come from in your opinion?

EDIT....whoops...I meant CAN'T answer for sure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Douglas Hendrickson said:
2. I appreciate your changing the subject to abortion, so I'll respond by saying it seems "the way the Bible has it," God breathed into Adam, and he became a person, a living soul.
PROVES THE LIFE OF A HUMAN BEING BEGINS AT BIRTH (From which we measure the length of the life of a person.) "Clay" is only a human being when God gives it breath, when it first has breath.
I differ. I think it is the spirit that gives animating life 'energy' to the triparte human being.
JAM 2:26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead,
Genesis doesn't say he became a 'living person' or 'human being'. It says he became a 'living soul'. The Hebrew definition of soul is 'breathing creature'. Since man is a 'spirit, soul, body' being, this scripture simply references how this spirit, soul, body creation called Adam, first began walking daily in spirit. And in doing so he began walking in soulish obedience to the spirit that was one with God. And Adam did so from his first breath...leading to that of being a 'living soul' or a 'living' 'breathing creature', or as the Hebrew says a 'chay' 'nephesh'. Upon sinning he became a dying 'breathing creature' not a 'dead breathing creature'.
I think "living soul" means "spirit being." Spirit and soul go together.

Is it spirit that gives "animating life energy," or is it spirit itself that IS that life energy?

Seems to me Holy Spirit is life animation in accord with God; there is spirit that may not be so godly, and there is Holy Spirit.
Your quote of JAM 2:26 seems to say the life of a person is the spirit. And it very much seems the breath of God given to Adam is that life or that gift of life. It is NOT that Adam first began walking then - it is that Adam first had life then.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personal characteristics of the Holy Spirit, Access to God, Anoints for Service, Assures, Authors Scripture, Baptizes, Believers Born of, Calls and Commissions, Cleanses, Comforts, Communion with believers, Convicts of sin, Counsels, Creates, Empowers, Empowers Believers, Fellowship with believers, Fills, Forbids action, Gives gifts, Glorifies Christ, Guides in truth, Helps our weakness, Indwells believers, Inspires prayer, Intercedes, Interprets Scripture, Leads, Liberates, Molds Character, Produces fruit, Raises from the dead, Regenerates, Reveals, Sanctifies, Seals, Sends, Sent, Strengthens, Testifies of Jesus, Victory over flesh, Warns, Worship helper
.....The Holy Spirit is the third person in the Trinity. He is fully God. He is eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent, has a distinct will, a distinct mind, a distinct self, and can speak. He is alive. He is a person. He is not particularly visible in the Bible because His ministry is to bear witness of Jesus (John 15:26).
.....Some heterodox religious groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses, etc., claim e.g. that the Holy Spirit is nothing but an impersonal force (Reasoning from the Scriptures, 1985, pp. 406-407). This is totally false. If the Holy Spirit was merely an impersonal force or power, He could not speak (Acts 13:2); He could not be grieved (Eph. 4:30); and He would not have a will (1 Corinthians 12:11), a self, (Jn 16:13), or a mind, (Rom 8:27).
There are, at least, seventy two (72) personal characteristics or attributes, listed in scripture for the Holy Spirit and He is a person the same as the Father and the Son are, within the Trinity.

Names of the Spirit
1. God -Acts 5:3-4, Acts 28:25-27, Hebrews 3:7-11, Hebrews 10:15-17
2. Lord - 2 Corinthians. 3:18
3. Spirit - 1 Corinthians 2:10
4. Spirit of God - 1 Corinthians 3:16
5. Spirit of Truth - John 15:26
6. Eternal Spirit - Hebrews. 9:14

Attributes of (9)
7. Eternal -Hebrews. 9:14
8. Omnipotent - Luke 1:35
9. Omnipresent - Psalms 139:710
10. Distinct Will from the father and the son– 1 Corinthians 12:11

11. Loves - Romans 15:30
12. Speaks - Acts 8:29; Acts 13:2
13. Distinct Mind from the father and the son – Rom 8:27

14. Distinct Self from the father and the son – John 16:13

15. Alive – John 14:17
Symbols of (3)
16. Dove - Matthew 3:15
17. Wind - John 3:5
18. Fire - Acts 2:3

Sins Against (6)
19. Blasphemy - Matthew 12:31
20. Resist (Unbelief) - Acts 7:51
21. Insult - Hebrews 10:29
22. Lied to - Acts 5:3
23. Grieved - Ephesians 4:30
24. Quench - 1 Thessalonians 5:19

Power in Christ's Life (6)
25. Conceived of - Matthew 1:18-20
26. Baptism - Matthew 3:15
27. Led by - Luke 4:1
28. Filled with Power - Luke 4:14,18
29. Witness of Jesus - John 15:26
30. Raised Jesus - Rom 8:11

The Works of the Holy Spirit (42)
1 Access to God - Ephesians 2:18
2 Anoints for Service - Luke 4:18
3 Assures - Romans 8:15-16; Gal 4:6
4 Authors Scripture - 2 Pet 1:20-21
5 Baptizes - John 1:32-34; 1 Corinthians 12:13-14
6 Believers Born of - John 3:3-6
7 Calls and Commissions - Acts 13:24; Acts 20:28
8 Cleanses - 2 Thessalonians 3:13; 1 Pet. 1:2
9 Comforts - Acts 9:31
10 Communion with believers – 2 Cor 13:14
11 Convicts of sin - John 16:9,14
12 Counsels - John 14:16
13 Creates - Genesis 1:2; Job 33:4
14 Empowers - 1 Thessalonians 1:5
15 Empowers Believers - Luke 24:49
16 Fellowship with believers – Philippians 2:1
17 Fills - Acts 2:4; Acts 4:29-31; Acts 5:18-20; Acts 9:17
18 Forbids action - Acts 16:6
19 Gives gifts - 1 Corinthians 12:8-11
20 Glorifies Christ - John 16:14
21 Guides in truth - John 16:13
22 Helps our weakness - Romans 8:26
23 Indwells believers - Romans 8:9-14; Galatians 4:6
24 Inspires prayer – Ephesians 6:18; Jude 20
25 Intercedes -Romans 8:26
26 Interprets Scripture - 1 Corinthians 2:1,14; Ephesians 1:17
27 Leads - Romans 8:14
28 Liberates - Romans 8:2
29 Molds Character - Galatians 5:22-23

30 Produces fruit - Galatians 5:22-23
31 Raises from the dead - Romans 8:11
32 Regenerates - Titus 3:5
33 Reveals – Luke 2:26
34 Sanctifies - Romans 15:1635 Seals - Ephesians 1:13-14; Ephesians 4:30
36 Sends - Acts 13:4
37 Sent - Gal 4:6; 1 Peter 1:12
38 Strengthens - Eph 3:16; Acts 1:8; 2:4; 1 Corinthians 2:4
39 Testifies of Jesus - John 15:26
40 Victory over flesh - Romans 8:2-4; Galatians 4:6
41 Warns – Acts 20:23
42 Worship helper – Philippians 3:3

[91 total scripture]
Sources Consulted:
CARM.org
DTL.org/Trinity

Reactions: tucker58
Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Douglas Hendrickson said:
Though I'll find disfavor from many, no doubt, I do agree that a fetus is not a 'breathing creature' or fully matured 'soul' until it is born. But that does not mean it does not have spirit life from the Holy Spirit in the womb. Life which animates its 'also not fully matured'...'body'. That's why that blob of 'clay' is a fetus and not a lifeless clay-pot.

QUESTION? When did 'the Holy Spirit' invest preternatural 'holy spirit power'....or life into the womb of Mary? I believe it was at conception.

I think "living soul" means "spirit being." Spirit and soul go together.
And yet separated in scripture. I look at spirit/soul as 2/3 of a human being 1Thes 5:23. Just like you, I'm assuming here, look at a fetus as a 'non breathing' and therefore soul-less fetus???

Is it spirit that gives "animating life energy," or is it spirit itself that IS that life energy?
I can't disagree with either 'thought'. What I do distinguish between though is this; There is a difference between 'the Spirit' and 'spirit energy' from 'the Spirit'. IOW is 'doctor' a 'descriptive noun' or an 'action verb'? That all depends upon the existence of a definite article...in the English AND, just as importantly, in the Greek.

For Example; "My my, Jessie, that's a pretty bad cut. Good thing THE DOCTOR is in the office, let's just let him DOCTOR it up."

Had translators of the scripture followed such basic rules of grammar concerning our 'over exposed and under developed' theology on the hHoly sSpirit, theology would change significantly IMO.

Seems to me Holy Spirit is life animation in accord with God; there is spirit that may not be so godly, and there is Holy Spirit.
I'd agree and I think that when your spirit is 'born again/anew' from above it is "a new creation" and it actually is regenerated into becoming the Christ spirit within you (No s capitalization). 'A spirit' which is joined to the Lord is ONE spirit according to scripture. And I believe it is 'a holy Christ spirit' in you, but not 'the Holy Spirit'. Jesus was not born with the Holy Spirit, he was born with the 'Christ spirit' in Him.

Your quote of JAM 2:26 seems to say the life of a person is the spirit. And it very much seems the breath of God given to Adam is that life or that gift of life. It is NOT that Adam first began walking then - it is that Adam first had life then.
The confusion IMO is when people equate the animating 'life spirit' power, blown in by 'The Spirit' they think it's just air. I don't. Zao life comes from 'air' and Zoe life comes from God's Spirit. That's why 'living soul'/English or 'chay nephesh'/Hebrew means the 'living' and 'breathing creature' was obedient from its 'first breath'.

Upvote 0