What is the "harlot city" in the Book of Revelation?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today, it is generally believed that the "Harlot City" referred to in the Book of Revelation is Rome. The opulence and prominence of the city along with the mention of the seven hills on which it rests, it's persecution of Christians, and the use of euphemisms such as "Babylon" are generally presented as evidence that Rome is the wicked city....

Continued below.
http://blog.adw.org/2017/05/harlot-city-book-revelation/

geiroffenberg

Sep 4, 2014
✟38,573.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the great city, babylon, mother of all harlots, the woman riding the beast, is first defined as "the city where our lord was crucified". And so its all about the destruction of jeruslam that happened in ad 70.

The harlot was about the jewish nation in the old testament, and it is in this book too, as it is only one nation that had a marraige coveneant with god but lived in adultery by making covenants with other nations. It was called the city on the 7 hills, btw. But it can not be rome, as rome was the beast. Rome went to war with the harlot and defeated it, als known as the destruction of jerusalem and the temple.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Msgr. Charles Pope says in the article, “The Lord was not crucified in Rome but in Jerusalem. Thus the 'great city' is unambiguously identified as Jerusalem.”

However, Jesus' crucifixion in Jerusalem is connected to Christians everywhere who are persecuted. Since the Church is the body of Christ, Christians share in the Jesus' suffering on the cross whenever we suffer for his sake. And any city that apostatizes and gives praise to foreign religions is a harlot city.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Today, it is generally believed that the "Harlot City" referred to in the Book of Revelation is Rome. The opulence and prominence of the city along with the mention of the seven hills on which it rests, it's persecution of Christians, and the use of euphemisms such as "Babylon" are generally presented as evidence that Rome is the wicked city....

Continued below.
I agree with this. And Ceasar Nero was the Beast, the Anti-Christ.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Michie,

I posted at Msgr Pope's "What is the Harlot City?" blog. Very nice link. Anyway, I thought I would share my post here.
Steven

The Two Witnesses
Only Two are authorized by God to be His Witnesses on earth, the Jewish and Catholic Churches. The Two Lamp stands, from which our Lamp, God, shines His light to the world, are the Jewish and Catholic Churches. The Two Olive Trees from which Spiritual living waters flow from heaven to man on earth are the Jewish and Catholic Churches. The ‘fire’ which comes out of their mouths, to destroy their enemies, is Catholic Anathema and Jewish Karet. Jesus swears that anyone Apostolic Successors call upon Him in heaven to bind to sin on earth, He will do so. This is a spiritual death weapon. The forty two months (1260 days) is symbolic for the period of time between the fall of Israel one in 587 B.C. till Jesus comes to Rule the world, upon victory at our future Battle of Armageddon. Jesus and the Blessed Mother have told St. Faustina to prepare the world for Jesus’ Second Coming. So the 42 months looks like it will be equivalent to about 2600 years. The huge event of Revelation and OT apocalyptic scriptures is the enthronement of Jesus as King and Ruler of the world, and it is coming soon! Jesus tells us that He is going to set His Catholic Apostles up on thrones to rule over Israel, and the world. Jesus says that His Catholic Apostles will be His ‘Witnesses’ in Jerusalem and the world. Sorry Jewish Church ‘Witnesses’, you are done; you should not have killed Jesus. God was King and Ruler over Israel from the Exodus till the fall of Israel one in 587 B.C.. God Ruled with and through His Jewish Church and Jewish kings. God pulled His Presence out of Israel and put man’s evil pride in world dominant secular power, king Nebuchadnezzar as king over Israel and the world, in 587 B.C., because of the massive sins of Israel. ‘Satan’ is symbolic for man’s evil human pride on earth, especially in secular power. Archangel Michael casting Satan out of heaven, as the Two Witnesses are called up to heaven, is indicating a power change on earth. No longer is Satan, man’s evil pride in secular power, going to rule on earth, but King of kings, Jesus Christ is going to Rule on earth, with and through His Catholic Church, the Catholic Church, using the ‘Keys to the Kingdom’. This will be the restoration of Israel where Zion is born. The Catholic Church will be the New Jerusalem; she will shine with miracles from Jesus and the nations will stream to her. Satan, (man’s evil human pride) kills the Two Witnesses. Well the Jewish Church was already killed by Satan when they crucified Jesus. Expect a fall to Satan (man’s evil human pride) of the Catholic Church. Then God blows new life into the Catholic Church, and the Catholic Church goes on to Rule the world with Jesus, under Messianic Reign. Messianic Reign is the ‘golden era for mankind’ that the Blessed Mother has promised us. I say, Let Jesus Rule! Hallelujah!​

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this. And Ceasar Nero was the Beast, the Anti-Christ.
There have been many antichrists. Nero was one of them.

These were prototypes of the final Antichrist.

Upvote 0

BroIgnatius

Deliverance Counselor, Apologist, Spiritual Dir
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2003
Just outside the State of Grace
Visit site
✟136,944.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

Continued below.

You are right. According to the Navarre Bible Commentary, one of the best Catholic commentaries published, the city of the Harlot mentioned in Revelation 17 is Rome. Rome is also Babylon. Heydock Commentary agrees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The 7 hills thing
7 could mean totality
And the Greek word is far more often translated as mountain

It is the city of all mountains
It has spread its power all over the globe

I think any interpretation of Revelation that ONLY looks at it as talking about the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70 is a flawed interpretation
This book is to warm us about how the city of Jerusalem that rejected Christ will first be used and then destroyed by the Antichrist near the end of time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"This calls for a mind with wisdom: the seven heads are seven hills on which the woman is seated"
- Rev 17:9

"9. heads. The heads of the beast, he says, are the kings of the world, who through the swelling of pride are said to be like exceeding high mountains, on whom there rests a wanton ungodliness, so that they both oppress by violence, and deceive by fraud." -St. Bede's commentary (circ. A.D. 710-716)

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I posted on Msgr. Popes' thread again. Here is the post.

Israel is the Bride of God who was discarded, by God, in Babylon, as a harlot. The Jews of today are from the House of Judah which fell in 587 B.C.. The House of Israel is dominated by Judah’s brother Joseph and his descendants are Josephites, not Jews. The House of Israel fell in 722 B.C.. The Jews maintained their lineage but the Josephites are lost in the masses and scattered to the world today. Jacob/Israel bypassed the twelve tribes of Israel and placed the ‘Blessing of Abraham’ on his grandson, Joseph’s son, Ephraim. The Blessing of Abraham is, myriads of descendants, will grow to become a multitude of nations (Genesis 48:17, 41:52, Joshua 17:14), with world dominant power (Genesis 17:15, 22:17, 24:60, 27:29, 37:5, 41:39, Revelation 17:15) and great wealth (Deuteronomy 33:1). The beast the harlot is riding on is world dominant power. The heads of the beast are the dynasties of Ephraim’s descendants past and present. These heads include Greece, Rome, England, France, Spain, Germany, the United States, Russia, and more. These are the countries where Ephraim lives and dominates the world from. Ephraim Rules in the form of a multitude of nations so dynasties have multiple world dominant powers at the same time. Ephraim is, GEN 33 “The majestic bull, his father’s first-born, whose horns are those of the wild ox with which to gore the nations, even those at the ends of the earth”. Babylon was a kingdom of business men and tradesmen. Though Israel enters Babylon as conquered slaves, like Joseph in Egypt, they take over and rule symbolic Babylon today, due to their possession of the Blessing of Abraham. The fall of Babylon in the Book of Revelation is the fall of Ephraim, (his descendants) at Armageddon. ( Hos 5:9 Ephraim shall become a waste on the day of chastisement.) Ephraim is also the Prodigal son in Christ’s parable. The harlot of Babylon falls at our near future Battle of Armageddon to make way for Christ’s Kingdom Come. Jesus will Rule the earth, with and through His Church, the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church is made up of people from all races and nations. Catholics, faithful to Jesus, will be the New Jerusalem and rightful heirs to Abraham, under Messianic Reign. Let Jesus Rule! Halelujah!​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
To sum up my post 13. The beast the harlot is riding is world dominant secular power. The harlot is Israel; precisely Ephriam, who is Jacob/Israel's grandson through his son Joseph. Ephriam is a Josephite not a Jew. He recieved the 'Blessing of Abraham' and not the twelve tribes of Israel. The House of Israel, which Ephriam dominates, was ripped out of the Promised Land 135 years before the House of Judah (the Jews of today). The House of Israel did not maintain records of their lineage to Abraham as the Jews did. So you have Ephriam's descendants in possession of the Blessing of Abraham, which is world dominant secular power, myraids of descendants, will grow to become a multitude of nations, and great wealth, out there lost in the masses in Europe. Ephraim is not as lost as people want to decieve themselves. Greece, Rome, England, France, Spain, Germany, Russia and the United States are all countries from which Ephriam's decendants have dominated the world, and still do today. Ephriam's descendants, still carrying the Blessing of Abraham today, are the harlot of Babylon, ruling the world today.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
says who?

Nab EZE 23:1
Thus the word of the LORD came to me: Son of man, there were two women, daughters of the same mother, who even as young girls played the harlot in Egypt. There the Egyptians caressed their bosoms and fondled their virginal breasts. Oholah was the name of the elder, and the name of her sister was Oholibah. They became mine and bore sons and daughters. (As for their names: Samaria is Oholah, and Jerusalem is Oholibah.) Oholah became a harlot faithless to me; she lusted after her lovers, the Assyrians, warriors dressed in purple, governors and officers, all of them attractive young men, knights mounted on horses. Thus she gave herself as a harlot to them, to all the elite of the Assyrians, and she defiled herself with all those for whom she lusted (with all their idols). She did not give up the harlotry which she had begun in Egypt, when they had lain with her as a young girl, fondling her virginal breasts and pouring out their impurities on her. Therefore I handed her over to her lovers, the Assyrians for whom she had lusted. They exposed her nakedness, her sons and daughters they took away, and herself they slew with the sword. Thus she became a byword for women, for they punished her grievously. Though her sister Oholibah saw all this, her lust was more depraved than her sister’s, and she outdid her in harlotry. She too lusted after the Assyrians,governors and officers, warriors impeccably clothed, knights mounted on horses, all of them attractive young men. I saw that she had defiled herself. Both had gone down the same path, yet she went further in her harlotry. When she saw men drawn on the wall, the images of Chaldeans drawn with vermillion, with sashes girded about their waists, flowing turbans on their heads, all looking like chariot warriors, the portraits of Babylonians, natives of Chaldea, she lusted for them; no sooner had she set eyes on them than she sent messengers to them in Chaldea. Then the Babylonians came to her, to the love couch, and defiled her with their intercourse. As soon as she was defiled by them, she became disgusted with them. Her harlotry was discovered and her shame was revealed, and I became disgusted with her as I had become disgusted with her sister. But she played the harlot all the more, recalling the days of her girlhood, when she had been a harlot in the land of Egypt. She lusted for the lechers of Egypt, whose members are like that of an ass, and whose heat is like that of stallions. You yearned for the lewdness of your girlhood, when the Egyptians fondled your breasts, caressing your bosom. Therefore, Oholibah, thus says the Lord GOD: I will now stir up your lovers against you, those with whom you are disgusted, and I will bring them against you from every side: the men of Babylon and all of Chaldea, Pekod, Shoa and Koa, along with all those of Assyria, attractive young men, all of them governors and officers, charioteers and warriors, all of them horsemen. They shall come against you from the north with chariots and wagons and many peoples. Shields, bucklers, and helmets they shall array against you everywhere.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
says Jesus in the parable of the wicked tenants
That is not what Catholic Theologians have interpreted, unless you want to throw away the whole of Nostra Aetate. The present understanding of the Church is that, as Paul said, THE GIFTS AND CALLINGS OF GOD ARE IRREVOCABLE.

"Although the Church is the new people of God, the Jews should not be presented as rejected or accursed by God, as if this followed from the Holy Scriptures" Nostra Aetate 4

Trust me, as a Jewish Catholic, I know these issues inside out. My Hebrew Catholic group discusses these things in full, and our website and newsletters provide all the authoritative Catholic resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Nab EZE 23:1
Thus the word of the LORD came to me: Son of man, there were two women, daughters of the same mother, who even as young girls played the harlot in Egypt. There the Egyptians caressed their bosoms and fondled their virginal breasts. Oholah was the name of the elder, and the name of her sister was Oholibah. They became mine and bore sons and daughters. (As for their names: Samaria is Oholah, and Jerusalem is Oholibah.) Oholah became a harlot faithless to me; she lusted after her lovers, the Assyrians, warriors dressed in purple, governors and officers, all of them attractive young men, knights mounted on horses. Thus she gave herself as a harlot to them, to all the elite of the Assyrians, and she defiled herself with all those for whom she lusted (with all their idols). She did not give up the harlotry which she had begun in Egypt, when they had lain with her as a young girl, fondling her virginal breasts and pouring out their impurities on her. Therefore I handed her over to her lovers, the Assyrians for whom she had lusted. They exposed her nakedness, her sons and daughters they took away, and herself they slew with the sword. Thus she became a byword for women, for they punished her grievously. Though her sister Oholibah saw all this, her lust was more depraved than her sister’s, and she outdid her in harlotry. She too lusted after the Assyrians,governors and officers, warriors impeccably clothed, knights mounted on horses, all of them attractive young men. I saw that she had defiled herself. Both had gone down the same path, yet she went further in her harlotry. When she saw men drawn on the wall, the images of Chaldeans drawn with vermillion, with sashes girded about their waists, flowing turbans on their heads, all looking like chariot warriors, the portraits of Babylonians, natives of Chaldea, she lusted for them; no sooner had she set eyes on them than she sent messengers to them in Chaldea. Then the Babylonians came to her, to the love couch, and defiled her with their intercourse. As soon as she was defiled by them, she became disgusted with them. Her harlotry was discovered and her shame was revealed, and I became disgusted with her as I had become disgusted with her sister. But she played the harlot all the more, recalling the days of her girlhood, when she had been a harlot in the land of Egypt. She lusted for the lechers of Egypt, whose members are like that of an ass, and whose heat is like that of stallions. You yearned for the lewdness of your girlhood, when the Egyptians fondled your breasts, caressing your bosom. Therefore, Oholibah, thus says the Lord GOD: I will now stir up your lovers against you, those with whom you are disgusted, and I will bring them against you from every side: the men of Babylon and all of Chaldea, Pekod, Shoa and Koa, along with all those of Assyria, attractive young men, all of them governors and officers, charioteers and warriors, all of them horsemen. They shall come against you from the north with chariots and wagons and many peoples. Shields, bucklers, and helmets they shall array against you everywhere.
How does any of this answer my question?

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does any of this answer my question?
Hello Open Heart,
Your question was 'says who?'. God says that Israel is the harlot that He casts out of the Promised land and into captivity in Assyria and Babylon.

How do you decipher Ezekiel 23 in my above post?

Upvote 0