What is the gospel? (Note: I am not asking because I don't know).

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In 1 Corinthians 15 our Apostle Paul says the Gospel is that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, rose from the dead on the third day, was seen by the twelve, then seen by more than five hundred witnesses, and then He was seen by Paul.

Yes, this scripture gives more detail about who saw Jesus after He was resurrected.

And I can see that there are more details than what Paul has given in this scripture. I would say the Gospel includes how Jesus left Heaven and came here through the virgin Mary, in order to reach us and share with us.

By naming Jesus Christ as the One who died for us, I think it can be understood that because Jesus is included in the Gospel, then various things we know about Him are included, in understanding what the Gospel is and means.

But there is something I find to be interesting > Paul says we "stand" in the Gospel > 1 Corinthians 15:1. He does not only say we believe it.

So, perhaps we need to talk about what we actually stand in, by standing in the Gospel.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the gospel?
(Note: I am not asking because I don't know).

So, you are asking because you'd like others to say what they believe.
Cool.

Do all things unto others, just as you would wish them do unto you. .
This is the foundation of the Law of Moses and of the teachings of the prophets.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A return of the Kingdom/governance of God. Jesus' Gospel, not man's. edit What Jesus said the Gospel was is relevant. How man tries to explain it without regards to the Kingdom of the Father, is not.

Matthew 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. 12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. 13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. 14 And this GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
What is the gospel?
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.
— Romans 5:9

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It seems since you think you already know then you're setting everyone up and expecting a certain outcome, so I'll hang back to see where you're headed with this.
It’s a legitimate question. If people who self identify with Christianity don’t know the gospel it’s a problem//good news of the perfect and only God, sending his son Jesus into the world//Who then lived a sinless life, died a substitutionary death on the cross paying for the sins of the world, and then rose again on the 3rd day//defeating death and establishing his church in every person who repents of their sin and accepts his Holy Spirit into their heart through believing in him. Did I miss something??!! :)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
What is the gospel?
good news of the perfect and only God, sending his son Jesus into the world//Who then lived a sinless life, voluntarily died a substitutionary death on the cross paying for the sins of the world, and then rose again on the 3rd day//defeating death and establishing his church and saving every person and only every person who repents of their sin and accepts his Holy Spirit into their heart through believing in him. Did I miss something??!! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The gospel touches on many areas as given in the Bible. But the gospel is first good news.

If stated right the gospel can show a person how and who to trust in for Eternal Life. But the gospel is not Eternal Life or salvation in its self.

The gospel can be the message of Eternal Life if a person correctly explains to a person. That to receive Eternal Life a person must believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah from The Tanakh prophecies and to trust in Jesus for the free gift of His Eternal Life. Crossing over from death to life to never cross back over to death.

That is the greatest good new a person can hope to hear.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is the gospel?

Mat_4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Mat_9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Mat_24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mar_1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

• Winner
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the gospel?

Believing the gospel is this:

1 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;​
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.​
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;​
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Corinthians 15:1-4).​

So believing the gospel is believing in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection for salvation. I believe this plays an important key point in being saved by God's grace through faith, which is an aspect of salvation that is based on God's mercy and not works (Ephesians 2:8-9).​
Being saved by God's grace can also include other things that are NOT exactly like the believing aspect of the gospel (Which is believing in His death, burial, and resurrection on our behalf for salvation). Other non-gospel aspects of salvation in being saved by God's grace can include: Believing in the name of Jesus for salvation (1 John 3:23), believing in Jesus for salvation (Acts of the Apostles 16:30-31), calling upon the name of the Lord to be saved (Romans 10:13), seeking forgiveness of your sins with the Lord (Luke 18:9-14), going to Jesus, i.e. inviting Him into your life (Matthew 11:28-29). These are all things that are not specifically mentioned as a part of the gospel as mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 exactly but they can play a part of being saved by God's grace or in first coming to the Lord Jesus Christ. The believing part of the gospel is only "believing in Christ's death, burial, and resurrection" so as to be saved. That's it. This is a key important part of being saved by God's grace. It is an important part that we need to come to realize in time (if we do not know about it yet) because it is the gospel or good news of our salvation upon which we stand. The gospel means "good news." But the gospel or believing gospel is defined for us in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.​
But there are other things that can be included in being saved by God's grace (as I just mentioned). Calling upon the name of the Lord, inviting Christ into your life, and seeking forgiveness with Jesus and believing in Jesus alone for salvation. These are non-gospel aspects of being saved by God's grace and they also play their part and role in helping men to be saved by God's grace.​
But there is an obedience aspect part of the gospel that many do not understand today.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the gospel?
Paul's spells it out for me:
"Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures"
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-4
His death, burial, and resurrection—and its application.

Jesus, God in flesh, suffered as the propitiation, buried as the satisfaction, resurrected as the intercessor for sin. If you trust in this truth alone, then you will be saved. This is the whole gospel message in three points.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul's spells it out for me:

Jesus, God in flesh, suffered as the propitiation, buried as the satisfaction, resurrected as the intercessor for sin. If you trust in this truth alone, then you will be saved. This is the whole gospel message in three points.
Yes, I believe this gospel message. But many do not realize that there is a call of the gospel. According to Scripture:
The call of the gospel is that God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth (See: 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14). Galatians 6:8-9 says: “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” Romans 8:13 (NKJV) says: “For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yet Jesus said he had a different gospel, of which what you speak was only a part of the whole, a necessary part to bring His Gospel about, the Gospel of the Kingdom, where man would reverse our course and no longer follow our own will, but the will of the Father. That was His gospel and should be the only one that counts.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet Jesus said he had a different gospel, of which what you speak was only a part of the whole, a necessary part to bring His Gospel about, the Gospel of the Kingdom, where man would reverse our course and no longer follow our own will, but the will of the Father. That was His gospel and should be the only one that counts.
I don't know about that. The part of the whole that I spoke of is sufficient to change a sinner from his ways and find reconciliation with God. This is enough for salvation. Everything else is commentary.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,620.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about that. The part of the whole that I spoke of is sufficient to change a sinner from his ways and find reconciliation with God. This is enough for salvation. Everything else is commentary.
That seems to be a rather selfish pursuit without first understanding how backwards we are and repenting of such, thus relinquishing our self proclaimed authourity to God.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That seems to be a rather selfish pursuit without first understanding how backwards we are and repenting of such, thus relinquishing our self proclaimed authourity to God.
I think you're taking my words too exclusively.

You can't know what Jesus propitiates if you don't know what He propitiated for at the cross. That's quite obvious. I simply summarized the most important elements of what makes the gospel "good news."

Upvote 0