He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It got me thinking, even back to the bigger picture -- what, then, IS the essence of Christianity, and what does Christianity offer that other world views or religions don't? Why is there such division in Christianity when the Apostle Paul told us not to have all these divisions? And as a woman, how especially do I deal with all of this, when Eve's curse is upon me? How can I figure out the truth when I'm supposed to have a male intermediary to decide my beliefs for me (women must submit to men authorities, and cannot come to Christ on their own), and yet all my male intermediaries would war over very different theological views, coming to completely logically contradictory conclusions?

Seems madness to me...

You need to have your own relationship with the Lord, and that is the best way to be an asset to your husband. What your husband needs is wisdom from the Lord to know how to conduct his life, and it compliments him well (and protects him) to have a wife who seeking God with all of her heart. His heart safely trusts her because of her relationship with God.

I think a woman should deliberate on matters prayerfully so she can give her husband the wisdom she hears from the Lord. This will help to enable him to make decisions which honor God.

My wife and I agree on most if not all of our doctrine. I came to the Lord first, and so I taught her the ways of Christ and she mostly sees things that way. If she didn't, I couldn't and shouldn't force her to. She has to know in her heart this is the true interpretation given by the Holy Spirit. She should be seeking the Lord to find out if a doctrine is true.

As far as a denomination, why do you need to be married to one in particular? The question in my mind is, where is the Lord calling you to fellowship? Have you been asking the Lord where you should go? I'm not a Pentecostal but I attend an Assemblies of God church. I don't totally agree with everything their denomination teaches, but I have no trouble fellowshipping with them, or Baptists or anyone else that loves the Lord, and neither should you. Some denominations are backslidden and accept homosexuality and there are cults like Mormons and the JW's, they should be avoided at all cost, but there are spirit filled churches out there. Let Jesus lead you and He will put you in the right fellowship.

Upvote 0

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What is the essence of Christianity? What theological hills are the ones I must die on?
Concerning Justification:
1. That God has justified all sinners, that is, he has declared them righteous for the sake of Christ. (Romans 5:18)
This is the central message of Scripture upon which the very existence of the church depends.

2. Individuals receive this free gift of forgiveness not on the basis of their own works, but only through faith. (Ephesians 2:8,9)

3. People cannot produce this justifying faith, or trust, in their own hearts. (1 Corinthians 2:14)

4. People are saved by grace alone.(Ephesians 2:8,9)
Grace is the undeserved love of God for sinners.

Concerning Jesus:
1. Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, one with the Father from all eternity (John 1:1,2)

2. Jesus Christ, the God-man, was sent by the Father to redeem all people, that is, to buy them back from the guilt and punishment of sin.

3. Jesus came to fulfill the law (Matthew 5:17) so that on the basis of his perfect obedience all people would be declared holy (Romans 5:18,19). He came to bear “the iniquity of us all” (Isaiah 53:6), ransoming all people by his sacrifice for sin on the altar of the cross (Matthew 20:28).

4. Jesus is the God-appointed substitute for all people. His righteousness, or perfect obedience, is accepted by the Father as our righteousness, his death for sin as our death for sin (2 Corinthians 5:21).

5. Jesus' resurrection gives full assurance that God has accepted the payment he made for all (Romans 4:25).

Concerning means of Grace:
1. God bestows all spiritual blessings upon sinners by special means established by him. These are the means of grace, the gospel in Word and Sacraments.

2. Scripture teaches that “faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ” (Romans 10:17)

3. Scripture teaches that through the Sacrament of Baptism the Holy Spirit applies the gospel to sinners, giving them new life (Titus 3:5) and cleansing them from all sin (Acts 2:38). The Lord points to the blessing of Baptism when he promises, “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved” (Mark 16:16)

4. Scripture teaches that all who join in the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper receive the true body and blood of Christ in, with, and under the bread and wine (1 Corinthians 10:16). This is true because, when the Lord instituted this sacrament, he said, “This is my body. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins” (Matthew 26:26,28)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are basic confessions taught in Scripture and are held in conservative Lutheran denominations i.e. Wisconsin Lutheran Ev. Synod (WELS) \ Evangelical Lutheran Synod (ELS) \ Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the essence of Christianity? What theological hills are the ones I must die on?

I'm in my mid-thirties, and I'm at a tough point in the faith. I've dealt with doubt before, eventually broke through it and rejected all forms of agnosticism and atheism, found other religions lacking as well -- and yet I still haven't figured out everything about Christianity, either.

I was raised in something of a generic, and yet very unstructured, American Protestant Christian home. However, there were a few theological quirks: my mother basically reduced everything in the Bible to Micah 6:8, my father told me hell isn't eternal and that people can be saved after they die (he vigorously maintains this belief to this day -- it's his own theological hill that he chooses to die on), and most emphasis was placed on endless End Times speculations rather than morality, even though both my parents identified as conservative Christians. (They remained outsiders in the faith, and few followed their highly idiosyncratic theology. As I've gotten older, I totally understand why few people followed them, despite my love for them -- they were very inconsistent theologically, and took a lot of the Bible grossly out of context, and could never admit or discuss their hermeneutical errors well with others.)

In my young adult years, I was exposed to the conservative Calvinist/Reformed, Vision Forum, somewhat famous/infamous "Brain Type" patriarchal Christianity of the Niednagel family, which holds that most people are Myers-Briggs ENTPs/FCIRs and cannot discern truth and reality well. True Biblical Christianity, according to them, is following rules and regulations to the utmost, and following the Bible according to black-and-white, linear left brain context, best exemplified in rigid Reformed Calvinism and ISFJ or ISTJ BEAL and BEIL Brain Types. My parents were believed to be generic ENTP FCIR right brain thinkers who took the Bible too creatively and didn't spend enough time on law, righteousness, and the like, which would explain their obsession with doomsday thinking, and the lack of emphasis on law/morality, and why my family never gave into the very different thinking of the Niednagel Brain Typists.

I also have been exposed to Calvary Chapel, which holds that Christianity is a relationship, not a religion, and that God can be attained through ecstatic emotional spontaneous Pentecostal worship, coupled with a somewhat conservative theological bent. The Niednagels would dismiss this as right brain extroversion emotionalism, and to me, it seems offensively feminine instead of male patriarchal. God is not a woman -- He is a MALE, so why treat him so emotionally and reduce His holiness to a girly RUH-LAY-SHUN-SHIP? Men are systems thinkers, thus so should a male God be, not a "relationship."

I now think, and have thought for over a year, that conservative Lutherans have the best balance of all these matters, theological and otherwise -- but it's alienated my family and all my former Calvinist and Calvary Chapel friends, who would wish to persuade me back to 'their' ways.

Even so, I find myself fighting: is conservative Lutheranism just my own preference, or is it absolute truth? If it's absolute truth, how do I -- as a woman and descendant of Eve -- practice it best? Women aren't supposed to hold Scriptural authority in the Bible, and yet the men in my life have had such differing views on how the Bible should be interpreted, so it's hard to figure out who to submit to. They are all over the place! Where is the consistency in Protestant Christianity? I outlined what my parents, the Niednagel Brain Typist Calvinists, and the Calvary Chapelists believe -- and none of it is internally consistent or co-existent. What a mess!

It got me thinking, even back to the bigger picture -- what, then, IS the essence of Christianity, and what does Christianity offer that other world views or religions don't? Why is there such division in Christianity when the Apostle Paul told us not to have all these divisions? And as a woman, how especially do I deal with all of this, when Eve's curse is upon me? How can I figure out the truth when I'm supposed to have a male intermediary to decide my beliefs for me (women must submit to men authorities, and cannot come to Christ on their own), and yet all my male intermediaries would war over very different theological views, coming to completely logically contradictory conclusions?

Seems madness to me...
I was raised as a charismatic, then I got to non charismatic dispensationalists, then I came to calvinism/lutheranism, I tried SDA... then I simply put it all away and became simply "a Christian".

What I mean by that:
1) I belive in Apostolic/Nicean Creeds.
2) I am born again by faith and preserved by the Holy Spirit in me, my faith is alive and Jesus Christ lives in my heart.
3) I see Bible as a useful tool for us, not as an idol

In the rest, I reserve a right to have no opinion, to change my opinions, to be open minded and flexible.

It gives me peace and a real stability. Think about it.

I agree with you that lutheranism is quite a well balanced theological branch, I like them too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In my young adult years, I was exposed to the conservative Calvinist/Reformed, Vision Forum, somewhat famous/infamous "Brain Type" patriarchal Christianity of the Niednagel family, which holds that most people are Myers-Briggs ENTPs/FCIRs and cannot discern truth and reality well. True Biblical Christianity, according to them, is following rules and regulations to the utmost, and following the Bible according to black-and-white, linear left brain context, best exemplified in rigid Reformed Calvinism and ISFJ or ISTJ BEAL and BEIL Brain Types

I am an INTJ and I think a number of Protestant Denominational Cultures have problems with personality styles that are obviously NT (There is pressure to hide it, or act like a SJ, of NF). That goes doubly for Pentecostals and Fundamentalists.

As far as what is the essence of Christianity? Read the "Orthodox Way".
https://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Way-Kallistos-Ware/dp/0913836583

Concerning the rest of the OP, If I were to pick one area I put a emphasis, it would be our Communion with God, through Faith in Christ. And the general work that Love has in relationship with God and other people.

Love is the Kingdom that the Lord mystically promised to the disciples, when he said they would eat in his kingdom, "you shall eat and drink in my kingdom", (Luke 22:30) What should they eat and drink, if not love?

When we have reached love, we have reached God and our journey is complete. We have crossed over the Island which lies beyond the World, where are the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit: to whom be glory and dominion. May God make us worthy to fear and to love Him. Amen.

Saint Isaac, the Syrian

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm in my mid-thirties, and I'm at a tough point in the faith. I've dealt with doubt before, eventually broke through it and rejected all forms of agnosticism and atheism, found other religions lacking as well -- and yet I still haven't figured out everything about Christianity, either.

I was raised in something of a generic, and yet very unstructured, American Protestant Christian home. However, there were a few theological quirks: my mother basically reduced everything in the Bible to Micah 6:8, my father told me hell isn't eternal and that people can be saved after they die (he vigorously maintains this belief to this day -- it's his own theological hill that he chooses to die on), and most emphasis was placed on endless End Times speculations rather than morality, even though both my parents identified as conservative Christians. (They remained outsiders in the faith, and few followed their highly idiosyncratic theology. As I've gotten older, I totally understand why few people followed them, despite my love for them -- they were very inconsistent theologically, and took a lot of the Bible grossly out of context, and could never admit or discuss their hermeneutical errors well with others.)

In my young adult years, I was exposed to the conservative Calvinist/Reformed, Vision Forum, somewhat famous/infamous "Brain Type" patriarchal Christianity of the Niednagel family, which holds that most people are Myers-Briggs ENTPs/FCIRs and cannot discern truth and reality well. True Biblical Christianity, according to them, is following rules and regulations to the utmost, and following the Bible according to black-and-white, linear left brain context, best exemplified in rigid Reformed Calvinism and ISFJ or ISTJ BEAL and BEIL Brain Types. My parents were believed to be generic ENTP FCIR right brain thinkers who took the Bible too creatively and didn't spend enough time on law, righteousness, and the like, which would explain their obsession with doomsday thinking, and the lack of emphasis on law/morality, and why my family never gave into the very different thinking of the Niednagel Brain Typists.

I also have been exposed to Calvary Chapel, which holds that Christianity is a relationship, not a religion, and that God can be attained through ecstatic emotional spontaneous Pentecostal worship, coupled with a somewhat conservative theological bent. The Niednagels would dismiss this as right brain extroversion emotionalism, and to me, it seems offensively feminine instead of male patriarchal. God is not a woman -- He is a MALE, so why treat him so emotionally and reduce His holiness to a girly RUH-LAY-SHUN-SHIP? Men are systems thinkers, thus so should a male God be, not a "relationship."

I now think, and have thought for over a year, that conservative Lutherans have the best balance of all these matters, theological and otherwise -- but it's alienated my family and all my former Calvinist and Calvary Chapel friends, who would wish to persuade me back to 'their' ways.

Even so, I find myself fighting: is conservative Lutheranism just my own preference, or is it absolute truth? If it's absolute truth, how do I -- as a woman and descendant of Eve -- practice it best? Women aren't supposed to hold Scriptural authority in the Bible, and yet the men in my life have had such differing views on how the Bible should be interpreted, so it's hard to figure out who to submit to. They are all over the place! Where is the consistency in Protestant Christianity? I outlined what my parents, the Niednagel Brain Typist Calvinists, and the Calvary Chapelists believe -- and none of it is internally consistent or co-existent. What a mess!

Seems madness to me...
ah, this will help: there is only one Teacher, alone, Christ tells us --

8 But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9 And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. 10 Neither be called instructors, for you have one Instructor, the Christ. "

So we can relax about that part! -- No man on Earth (nor woman) is the Teacher, but only Him, alone. :) Not person on Earth can improve or replace or reduce down His Words to anything better.

And Him being the Leader, the Teacher -- that's why church can ever work well (over time, without great scandals and division and collapses). Solely for that reason.

Because we believe in Him, we will want to know His words.

I thought once: I've read the Bible now, so now I know all He said.

(and I thought that after the 2nd time through, and later again also after rereading the gospels a 3rd time)

No, it's not that way at all. We don't already have all He said....

Instead, each time I truly listen with real humble listening, then I dwell with Him, and His words are alive, and they help in ways beyond understanding, and the unexpected -- that even the 4th or 5th time through a gospel, I found more, deeper things, than I knew already. Now I've learned it will always be that way, if I really listen.

See, when He says He is the Teacher, it's not just some words.

Those are not empty words at all.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Seems madness to me...

About the less crucial question of denomination (see above post first on the truly crucial thing) -- I think many work good, from my visits to many churches. Though it's indeed good to have a church that reads full passages from Christ every Sunday, and that says His words over the Eucharist, like the Lutheran church does.

For any church -- it's whether they hear Christ, and keep His words.

If a church helps you in that, and the people are doing love one another, then it is a good church. And we remember He said this key thing about churches: John 13:35 NIV: By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -- so I know I need to see that happening in a church, or else I'm there instead more like a helper, even at times to help people convert (some may), when they are not yet showing love for each other.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
About the less crucial question of denomination (see above post first on the truly crucial thing) -- I think many work good, from my visits to many churches. Though it's indeed good to have a church that reads full passages from Christ every Sunday, and that says His words over the Eucharist, like the Lutheran church does.

For any church -- it's whether they hear Christ, and keep His words.

If a church helps you in that, and the people are doing love one another, then it is a good church. And we remember He said this key thing about churches: John 13:35 NIV: By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -- so I know I need to see that happening in a church, or else I'm there instead more like a helper, even at times to help people convert (some may), when they are not yet showing love for each other.

I am a Lutheran but you are right, love is the most important thing. There is no point in going to a church where the people make you miserable to be around and where toxic and abusive behavior is excused in the name of religion. You do not have to earn salvation in that manner. When Jesus said, "by your fruits you shall know them" and "beware the leaven of the Pharisees", he was not speaking to our pride or our desire for works-righteousness, as many American evangelicals wrongly assume, but as a pastor to protect us from harm.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a Lutheran but you are right, love is the most important thing. There is no point in going to a church where the people make you miserable to be around and where toxic and abusive behavior is excused in the name of discipleship. You do not have to earn salvation in that manner. When Jesus said, "by your fruits you shall know them", he was not speaking to our pride or our desire for works-righteousness, as many American evangelicals wrongly assume, but as a pastor to protect us from harm.
We generally agree, this "fruit" is the outcome of regeneration done to a person, from above (by the spirit put into them, and the new heart given to them). We don't accomplish it, but instead it happens to us if we truly believe in Christ (and if we believe we will listen and follow, and His words continue to shepherd us (if we continue to listen), John chapter 10).

As Paul wrote, 22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." (Gal ch 5)

Infamously we know even having the spirit powerfully in us does not mean that we never will stumble. Tomorrow we might stray and stumble! As Peter did, even to the point that Peter "stood condemned" (! it's shocking, but real) Paul wrote in Galatians chapter 2, for a time, until he turned. So, in addition to our new heart, we must, as in Romans 8, not follow the flesh, but must walk in the spirit. And when we stumble out of it, into the flesh, then we know the truth of 1rst John chapter 1, and the Lutheran church can help us, as we do our confession (especially this time of year, but it's invaluable at all times). When I first heard the read aloud confession in our Lutheran church I was disconcerted because I'd always done my own private confession directly to God, and I worried to myself: 'is this just a form, rote, a recitation that allows people to just say words without real repentance?' Of course, it can go either way, and the form and the words are very helpful to help those willing be in a state of true confession. But the individual in their heart has to cooperate, or do it, in the real sincere way. (Perhaps at times the spirit urges us to, but we have to follow.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What, like Watchman Nee? He was considered divisive by some, bringing a highly intense Plymouth Brethren style fundamentalism to China. It is not true that underground churches are all on the same page religiously in China. In fact, some of them are barely Christian or they are more like non-Christian cults. Considering the political instability that these quasi-Christian religions caused in China, it's understandable why the Chinese government is wary of them.

Contrary to what many evangelicals in the US think, the Three-Self state church in China does a fair job ministering to its people, and it should not be dismissed out of hand as corrupted, any more than any other state church. The Republic of China itself, long before Communism, wanted to have a state church that was indigenous and served its people, and not just the narrow interests of foreigners.
I do not know anything about "Plymouth Brethren style fundamentalism".
Have you looked at the list of what the registered Churches cannot teach?
In listening to some of the registered Churches, they are good and stay away from the topics they cannot teach leaves them with lots of other good topics, but where is Christ crucified, rising and heavenly thrown?
There was a group in the South many years ago that was a cult/ political group in the south the communist cleaned out and I do not know of their continued existence so can you lead me to your source?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I do not know anything about "Plymouth Brethren style fundamentalism".
Have you looked at the list of what the registered Churches cannot teach?
In listening to some of the registered Churches, they are good and stay away from the topics they cannot teach leaves them with lots of other good topics, but where is Christ crucified, rising and heavenly thrown?
?

Ministers are free to preach that in the Three Self state church. It is descended from Anglicans and Presbyterians in terms of its theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums