What is the difference in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkoth?

alilsa

Dec 27, 2004
Alabama
✟1,509.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What is the difference in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkoth? And when is the Feast of Tabernacles? I know that the Feast of Tabernacles was talked about in Zechariah 14 as being celebrated after the Messiah comes but is one of that holidays the Feast of Tabernacles? Is today the Day of Atonement or New Years Day?

P_G

Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady
Dec 13, 2003
North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Rosh Hasshonah starts today at sundown it is the start of 5766
Happy new year!
Yom Kippur the day of atonement starts on 10 Tishri or on Oct 13 It is a day of prayer for us and fasting. Messianics would see this as a time to remember the sacrifice of Y'shua for our atonement.
Sukkot is the Feast of Tabernacles or Booths which occurs 5 days after Yom Kippur or Oct 18 and lasts for 7 days (8 in some places)
It is to remember the time of the exodus in the desert and also a time of harvest celebration. A feasting time! (Bring on the Pumpkin pie!) It is also a time of Yatzeriet one of 4 times a year that we light memorial candles to remember those who have passed away. The 7th day is called Simchat Torah or the giving of the Torah (law)

I hope that helps a bit

L'Shanah Tova

Pastor George

Upvote 0

alilsa

Dec 27, 2004
Alabama
✟1,509.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I thought that the time of remembering the time of Exodus into the desert and remebering the sacrifice of Yeshua was during Passover? Don't you light candles around Chanukkah?
Does anyone recite the Shema in any of these holy days? Is the Shema also contain the verse about "and love your neighbor as yourself"? I think it has something about loving God with all your heart, though.

Upvote 0

Tea

Sep 16, 2005
✟15,772.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Passover is a time when we remember what happened in Egypt, that lead to the Exodus. Tabernacles is to remember the Exodus period. This was a time of freedom and some of the most wonderful miracles that ever happened for G-ds people.
The lighting of candles etc is common with most of the feasts, including Sabbath. However depending on the feast, there is usually a different "meaning" to the lighting and number lit. I can't answer in regards to the Shema, but I will say that loving your neighbour in not a New Testament "idea" only.
Shalom
Tea

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
alilsa said:
I thought that the time of remembering the time of Exodus into the desert and remebering the sacrifice of Yeshua was during Passover? Don't you light candles around Chanukkah?
Does anyone recite the Shema in any of these holy days? Is the Shema also contain the verse about "and love your neighbor as yourself"? I think it has something about loving God with all your heart, though.

Yes we light candles at Chanukah, but that is to remember the miracle that was preformed at that time. We light memorial candles to remember those that have gone before us. And Shabbat candles are done on friday evening before sundown.

Here is a list of G-ds appointed days - it gives a brief description of them all, plus their messianic significance. http://www.messianic.com/articles/moedim.htm Another very interesting article is "Yeshua in the Jewish Holidays."

As for the Shema - yes, Yeshua quoted it when asked what the greatest commandment was. The Shema is made of more than one scripture passage.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Feast of Trumpets

Lev23:3 The LORD said to Moses, 24 "Say to the Israelites: 'On the first day of the seventh month you are to have a day of rest, a sacred assembly commemorated with trumpet blasts. 25 Do no regular work, but present an offering made to the LORD by fire.
Feast of Trumpets is the First day of the seventh month and start of the civil year.(Leviticus 23.23-25) Hebrew name is Rosh HaShanah which literally means head of the year on the Jewish Calendar it falls around September or October depending on the year. It is Tishri 1 of the Jewish month and first day of the year on the Jewish civil calendar. The Jews have two calendars, one which they call the sacred calendar and the other that they call the civil. They believe that since God never abrogated the old calendar when He gave them the new calendar they are to have two calendars. This is why Joel says that Christ will come in the first month, both for the first coming and for the second, both in the spring and in the fall.

Interesting that you find seven trumpets in Revelation and not many people have made any connection with the Feast of Trumpets. It would take understanding of the Feast of Trumpets throughout scripture and prophecy of old and new testament prophets to glean concepts and understand the significance of the Feast of Trumpets. The Feast of Trumpets are about remembrances, a memorial, but the Bible does not tell us what we are supposed to remember!

Neither the name of the festival or the meaning of the festival are made explicitly clear in the Bible. The symbolism of this festival is something of a mystery, a sort of Bible riddle begging to be solved. The Bible grants us only two sparse verses to explain the festival:

Upvote 0

alilsa

Dec 27, 2004
Alabama
✟1,509.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Any idea why people will all celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles in the end of time? Millinium or whatever it is in Zechariah 14:16, to worship the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem? Christians don't even celebrate Sukkoth now but will then. I sort of understand why most don't celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but why Sukkoth? Sorry, I didn't make the connection with the Feast of Trumpets, was that tonight? I think Sukkoth had something to do with making booths in the wilderness, but I don't get the connection with it and the going to Jerusalem in the millineum.

Upvote 0

Wags

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2004
Oregon
✟12,463.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Personally I can't understand why anyone who claims to be a follower of the Yeshua would ignore any of G-ds appointed times.

Perhaps this might help answer some of your questions

shema.com said:
THE FEAST OF TRUMPETS
Just as the four Spring holidays are connected, so are the final three Fall holidays. They are connected to Messiah's Second Coming. They all take place in the seventh month - the month of completion. If the pattern evidenced in the Spring holidays holds true for the Fall holidays, they too will be fulfilled on their own day. The Fall holidays will bring to completion God's plan to rescue humanity. The first Fall holiday is the Feast of Trumpets. It takes place on the first day of the seventh month, which is the month of Tishri. Among the Jewish people, it is more commonly referred to as "Rosh HaShana" - the Jewish "New Year." It may be the traditional Jewish New Year, but it is not the Biblical New Year, since this holiday begins the seventh month. Why then is it called the Jewish New Year? The reason can be traced to the time when the Jewish people were exiled to Babylon, which took place around 586 BC. The Babylonian new year occurred in the fall, and while in exile there, we adopted parts of the Babylonian calendar, including their new year. According to the Bible, the true "Jewish New Year" takes place during the spring at Passover time. The Lord clearly stated this to Moses in Exodus 12:2 when He said, "This month shall be the beginning of months for you; it is to be the first month of the year to you."

On the first day of the seventh month we are told to rest and blow the shofar, a special trumpet made from a ram's horn. The shofar was blown in ancient Israel for various reasons: If there was danger, the shofar was blown. If important information was being proclaimed, the shofar was blown. If the king was coming to visit our town, the shofar was blown. Messianic Jews blow the shofar on this day because we are announcing the soon return of King Messiah to planet Earth. Throughout the New Testament Yeshua's return is promised to be accompanied by the blowing of the shofar (see 1 Cor. 15:51-52 and 1 Thes. 4:16). In the book of Revelation, with the sounding of the seventh trumpet, Messiah Yeshua returns to Earth. The shofar is designed to wake us up and get us ready for the Second Coming of Messiah and the other events connected with the seventh month.

THE DAY OF ATONEMENT
Ten days later, Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, takes place. This was the one day when the High Priest was allowed to enter into the Most Holy Place in the Temple, sprinkle blood on the ark of the covenant, and atone for the sins of Israel. This is a very solemn day, when Jewish people fast and pray and ask for forgiveness. The rabbis teach that we have ten days from the beginning of the Feast of Trumpets to the close of Yom Kippur in which to repent. According to this tradition, if you do not repent during those ten days, God will blot your name out of the Book of Life, and sometime during the coming year you will die. This is a day for judgment, atonement and cleansing. Prophetically, it looks forward to a future day of judgment and cleansing immediately following Yeshua's return. That judgment is further described in the twenty-fifth chapter of the book of Matthew. Yeshua tells us that after He returns, He will establish His throne and judge all the nations. Those nations and individuals who turned to God will be welcomed into His kingdom. Those nations and individuals who have not repented will be turned away from life in the Kingdom. It makes sense that this judgment will occur on the very day of some future Yom Kippur.

SUKKOT
Finally, we come to the last of the seven yearly holidays, Sukkot - the Feast of Tabernacles. It is the seventh holiday and it falls in the seventh month. With this holiday God will complete His plan to redeem humanity. Sukkot takes place on the fifteenth day of Tishri and lasts for eight days. For the third and last time of the year, the Jewish people went up to Jerusalem to celebrate this final harvest festival. We built booths, decorated them with branches and the fruits of the harvest, and lived in them for the duration of the holiday. We also took willow, palm and myrtle branches, waved them in the air, prayed and rejoiced with them. These temporary booths, which go up and come down one week later, remind us of the Exodus from Egypt and our forty years of wandering in the wilderness. They also remind us that our brief sojourn in this world is temporary. We are pilgrims while on this earth, wanderers with no permanent dwelling place.

Prophetically, Sukkot looks forward to a greater Exodus to come. It looks forward to the final harvest of humanity. It anticipates the eternal dwelling places which Messiah Yeshua has prepared for us. At the end of this age, God will gather the fruit of redeemed humanity into His kingdom. This is the goal of God's efforts in human history, leading to the eternal kingdom which awaits redeemed humanity.

By the way, did you know that many messianic believe that Yeshua was born at Sukkot and circumcised on the 8th day - simchat torah - Rejoicing in Torah.

Upvote 0

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Tea said:
...I will say that loving your neighbour in not a New Testament "idea" only.
Shalom
Tea

Right Tea.....nothing new there. :)

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Bon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
alilsa said:
Any idea why people will all celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles in the end of time? Millinium or whatever it is in Zechariah 14:16, to worship the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem? Christians don't even celebrate Sukkoth now but will then. I sort of understand why most don't celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but why Sukkoth? Sorry, I didn't make the connection with the Feast of Trumpets, was that tonight? I think Sukkoth had something to do with making booths in the wilderness, but I don't get the connection with it and the going to Jerusalem in the millineum.

The feast of Booths (Sukkoth) is a time of remembering when the Israelites were in the wilderness....dwelling in temporary structures (tents)....and YHWH was with them in the earthly tabernacle (temple)

The feast also points us back to the birth of Yahshua, when He came to dwell again with man on earth. (He was born in a temporary dwelling.)

Prophetically it looks forward to the time when YHWH will live with us on the earth, in the Millennial Kingdom.

Revelation 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

Passover will also be kept in the Kingdom:

Yahshua drinking the wine with His apostles during the Passover meal.
Matthew 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

In a nutshell:
The appointed feasts of YHWH have a dualistic meaning (more that one meaning) They were given to Moses by our Heavenly Father as memorials for specific events during the Israelites journey through the wilderness from Egypt to the promised land.

And then they were partially fulfilled with the coming of the Messiah and related events.

Then again they will be fulfilled in the end-times in and around the future Kingdom of YHWH.

Bon

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0