• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the difference in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkoth?

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by alilsa, Oct 3, 2005.

1. alilsa

alilsa Regular Member

+20
    Pentecostal
    Married
    What is the difference in Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur and Sukkoth? And when is the Feast of Tabernacles? I know that the Feast of Tabernacles was talked about in Zechariah 14 as being celebrated after the Messiah comes but is one of that holidays the Feast of Tabernacles? Is today the Day of Atonement or New Years Day?

2. P_G

P_G Pastor - ד ע ה - The Lunch Lady

+850
    Messianic
    Married
    Rosh Hasshonah starts today at sundown it is the start of 5766
    Happy new year!
    Yom Kippur the day of atonement starts on 10 Tishri or on Oct 13 It is a day of prayer for us and fasting. Messianics would see this as a time to remember the sacrifice of Y'shua for our atonement.
    Sukkot is the Feast of Tabernacles or Booths which occurs 5 days after Yom Kippur or Oct 18 and lasts for 7 days (8 in some places)
    It is to remember the time of the exodus in the desert and also a time of harvest celebration. A feasting time! (Bring on the Pumpkin pie!) It is also a time of Yatzeriet one of 4 times a year that we light memorial candles to remember those who have passed away. The 7th day is called Simchat Torah or the giving of the Torah (law)

I hope that helps a bit

L'Shanah Tova

Pastor George

3. DrMcDonald

DrMcDonald New Member

+1
    Messianic
    Married
  4. alilsa

alilsa Regular Member

+20
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I thought that the time of remembering the time of Exodus into the desert and remebering the sacrifice of Yeshua was during Passover? Don't you light candles around Chanukkah?
    Does anyone recite the Shema in any of these holy days? Is the Shema also contain the verse about "and love your neighbor as yourself"? I think it has something about loving God with all your heart, though.

5. Tea

Tea Regular Member

+36
    Non-Trinitarian
    Private
    Passover is a time when we remember what happened in Egypt, that lead to the Exodus. Tabernacles is to remember the Exodus period. This was a time of freedom and some of the most wonderful miracles that ever happened for G-ds people.
    The lighting of candles etc is common with most of the feasts, including Sabbath. However depending on the feast, there is usually a different "meaning" to the lighting and number lit. I can't answer in regards to the Shema, but I will say that loving your neighbour in not a New Testament "idea" only.
    Shalom
    Tea

6. Wags

Wags Senior Veteran

+197
    Messianic
    Married
    Yes we light candles at Chanukah, but that is to remember the miracle that was preformed at that time. We light memorial candles to remember those that have gone before us. And Shabbat candles are done on friday evening before sundown.

Here is a list of G-ds appointed days - it gives a brief description of them all, plus their messianic significance. http://www.messianic.com/articles/moedim.htm Another very interesting article is "Yeshua in the Jewish Holidays."

As for the Shema - yes, Yeshua quoted it when asked what the greatest commandment was. The Shema is made of more than one scripture passage.

7. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+4,553
    Messianic
    Feast of Trumpets

Feast of Trumpets is the First day of the seventh month and start of the civil year.(Leviticus 23.23-25) Hebrew name is Rosh HaShanah which literally means head of the year on the Jewish Calendar it falls around September or October depending on the year. It is Tishri 1 of the Jewish month and first day of the year on the Jewish civil calendar. The Jews have two calendars, one which they call the sacred calendar and the other that they call the civil. They believe that since God never abrogated the old calendar when He gave them the new calendar they are to have two calendars. This is why Joel says that Christ will come in the first month, both for the first coming and for the second, both in the spring and in the fall.

Interesting that you find seven trumpets in Revelation and not many people have made any connection with the Feast of Trumpets. It would take understanding of the Feast of Trumpets throughout scripture and prophecy of old and new testament prophets to glean concepts and understand the significance of the Feast of Trumpets. The Feast of Trumpets are about remembrances, a memorial, but the Bible does not tell us what we are supposed to remember!

Neither the name of the festival or the meaning of the festival are made explicitly clear in the Bible. The symbolism of this festival is something of a mystery, a sort of Bible riddle begging to be solved. The Bible grants us only two sparse verses to explain the festival:

8. alilsa

alilsa Regular Member

+20
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Any idea why people will all celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles in the end of time? Millinium or whatever it is in Zechariah 14:16, to worship the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem? Christians don't even celebrate Sukkoth now but will then. I sort of understand why most don't celebrate Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, but why Sukkoth? Sorry, I didn't make the connection with the Feast of Trumpets, was that tonight? I think Sukkoth had something to do with making booths in the wilderness, but I don't get the connection with it and the going to Jerusalem in the millineum.

9. Wags

Wags Senior Veteran

+197
    Messianic
    Married
    Personally I can't understand why anyone who claims to be a follower of the Yeshua would ignore any of G-ds appointed times.

Perhaps this might help answer some of your questions

By the way, did you know that many messianic believe that Yeshua was born at Sukkot and circumcised on the 8th day - simchat torah - Rejoicing in Torah.

10. Bon

Bon Truth Seeker

+84
    Messianic
    Private
    Right Tea.....nothing new there. :)

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, “ ‘You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

Leviticus 19:18 You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

Bon

11. Bon

Bon Truth Seeker

+84
    Messianic
    Private

The feast of Booths (Sukkoth) is a time of remembering when the Israelites were in the wilderness....dwelling in temporary structures (tents)....and YHWH was with them in the earthly tabernacle (temple)

The feast also points us back to the birth of Yahshua, when He came to dwell again with man on earth. (He was born in a temporary dwelling.)

Prophetically it looks forward to the time when YHWH will live with us on the earth, in the Millennial Kingdom.

Revelation 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

Passover will also be kept in the Kingdom:

Yahshua drinking the wine with His apostles during the Passover meal.
    Matthew 26:29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

In a nutshell:
    The appointed feasts of YHWH have a dualistic meaning (more that one meaning) They were given to Moses by our Heavenly Father as memorials for specific events during the Israelites journey through the wilderness from Egypt to the promised land.

And then they were partially fulfilled with the coming of the Messiah and related events.

Then again they will be fulfilled in the end-times in and around the future Kingdom of YHWH.

Bon