What is the difference between wishful thinking and faith?

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Wishful thinking vs faith? Wishful thinking wonders if He will, while faithful expectation testifies that He will with boldness. Acts 4:13 "Now as they observed the confidence of Peter and John and understood that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus."

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
wishful thinking is usually self-centered and is done without any thought as to it's fulfillment or what that would mean.

faith has it's base in the knowledge that the thing is indeed possible to achieve, and the belief that it will be achieved.

Upvote 0

donnamabob

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,004.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
wishful thinking is usually self-centered and is done without any thought as to it's fulfillment or what that would mean.

faith has it's base in the knowledge that the thing is indeed possible to achieve, and the belief that it will be achieved.

Amen to that!

Wishful thinking stems from the soul, wheres faith is from the spirit. Interesting thread here :)

Upvote 0

CindyisHis

I am my Beloved's and He is mine.
Jun 28, 2006
seated in heavenly places with Christ Jesus
✟44,598.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Merely wishing produces little. It's lazy. Faith is active; it's readily seen because it does something.

Wishful thinking may or not be based on the Word of God; faith always is. And the Word of God produces faith. Eat it. Now act on it.

You can't read your Bible with an open heart seeking God without Him speaking something to you. Whatever it is - take it. Do it. Don't put it off into "someday". It's now!

Upvote 0

gennaoanothen

Jesus-my-Lord
Nov 23, 2008
Maryland
Visit site
✟10,083.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
faith is believing and expecting what someone has said will actually happen. example, I just told a grandchild a few minutes ago, I was sending a birthday card. she is expecting it now in faith.

wishful thinking is not based upon a promise.
example, she may have been wishing I would send her a card, but I did not say in fact I would be.

when we discover Fathers promises, then we can have an expectant faith, and not be wishful, but fully persuaded.

speaking of grandchildren, wanted to share my newest, he is 4 months old and yesterday took a picture of him getting his first food, besides milk.
bradley.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scottmcc1

Whose Report Will You Believe? Isaiah 53:1
Jan 17, 2011
Kansas City MO
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A lot of times people will like and want a promise from the Bible, but are not willing to fight in faith to get or keep the promise.

To me not willing to fight in faith for what God has promised is just wishful thinking. Faith involves a fight and to give up when one needs to fight is just wishful thinking.

Upvote 0