What is the difference between the Protestant and Catholic Biblees?

Tayla

Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All I know is that the Catholic Bible has some more books than my Protestant Bible has.
I think the key differences between Catholic vs Protestant Bibles are:
  • Protestant Bibles don't have some Old Testament books that Catholic Bibles do have (called "deuterocanonical books" by the Catholic Church, and "apocrypha" by Protestants).
  • Catholic Bibles have some additional chapters, or fewer chapters, or different verse numbering for a few books.
  • Each considers certain translations of the other as untrustworthy.
  • As others in this thread note, there are various lists of books by different groups at different times.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thinking that over, I understand why people can doubt Christianity from that.
This is a difficulty with Sola Scriptura (Bible Only). If you don't know for sure which books are God's Word, well...

The problem is solved in not requiring the Bible to be fixed and absolute, with Christianity having fluidity. This also explains the many differing Churches and denominations: they are all true! (except those not teaching the gospel or the Nicene Creed, and except those teachings provably false.)

Christians present Christianity to the unbelievers of this world as a package deal: my denomination or Church has the truth, the others don't. Sadly, this repels society away from Christianity.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In August of 1546, at the Council of Trent, Rome added the Apocryphal books to the Bible, primarily in response to the Reformation, to justify Rome's false doctrines on Purgatory, Indulgences and Marian doctrines and other false doctrines.

This is incorrect. The Council of Trent only affirmed the choices of which books are in the Bible, and which are not, made by several councils over the years.

The "Apocryphal" books were around since before Jesus' time. They had been upheld by all the Churches from the 5th Century on.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
All I know is that the Catholic Bible has some more books than my Protestant Bible has. That's all I know. :(

Jacqueline, the reason why the Catholic Bible has more books is because that how the Holy Spirit guided the early Church Fathers who were Catholic to compile it! It was a man Martin Luther, Not the Holy Spirit, in the 15th century who took out seven books form the Bible, which he had no authority whatsoever, to do so.

The Correct Bible is that of the Catholic Church, with 73 books.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Correct... Interesting term for description to Gods mind. From an old coot of life experiences a thing stands out. The division of the cannon is to capture the reader/individual on self. It takes darkness to explain the light. Thus, a bible was written for... you. Not a group. Good deeds are for the group but Spirit is you ,word , prayer and God. This is where we separate under the term correct, right? This arises in mankind trying to teach Spirit when mankind knows not Spirit . What the eyes see (or read) and the ears hear are actually for us to speak to God on it. God may plant an idea to ask ___ on the subject to steer us in knowledge of... love. Knowledge of cannon is this John 5:39 without this John 5:40 under the guise of correctness which is... Judgment of the one or many. This being a group mind belief causes the subjective matter of cannon vs correctness to separate and others are sinners. Too bad that :sigh:, for love is inclusive but pride in knowledge alone to not study knowledge of love with God (Termed Sequester), can not be supported by a church with rules/shackles in place to bind the Spirit. Not saying church is not necessary here so please do not get that bent.

Anywhose, hope a word of life is awakened by the the Spirit not the author of this post. Be well :hug:.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the key differences between Catholic vs Protestant Bibles are:
  • Protestant Bibles don't have some Old Testament books that Catholic Bibles do have (called "deuterocanonical books" by the Catholic Church, and "apocrypha" by Protestants).
  • Catholic Bibles have some additional chapters, or fewer chapters, or different verse numbering for a few books.
  • Each considers certain translations of the other as untrustworthy.
  • As others in this thread note, there are various lists of books by different groups at different times.

It's important to note also that the debate is only about the Old Testament only.

Protestant Bibles contain the Hebrew and Aramaic books accepted by the Jews. Catholic Bibles contain additional Greek material.

Chapter divisions differ according to whether the Greek OT (for Catholics) or the Hebrew OT (for Protestants) is followed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0