what is the difference between the filling of Holy spirit OT/NT?

Hilbrand

Jul 23, 2017
Veenendaal
✟18,340.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Single
I always thought that in the old testament believers had no Spirit inside them until I've read about Joshua

Dt 34:9

And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

But what is then the difference?

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no difference....It is just described in different ways. The religious thought Jesus spoke a different doctrine and therefore he was a blasphemer. Yet Jesus said if they understood Moses, they would understand Him as well......As all the law and prophet are about Him. If I were to speak of the holy spirit and Christ in a way that was plain in today's language, I would be called a blasphemer as well.....as it would seem different than what is the accepted interpretation of these times.

• Agree
Reactions: Tolworth John
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I always thought that in the old testament believers had no Spirit inside them until I've read about Joshua

Dt 34:9

And Joshua the son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom; for Moses had laid his hands upon him: and the children of Israel hearkened unto him, and did as the LORD commanded Moses.

But what is then the difference?

There is a big difference. Just because someone was a Jew and circumcised did not mean they were filled with the Holy Spirit. Only those who had hands laid on them for a specific purpose by a prophet (in the above case, Moses was the prophet) received the impartation of the Holy Spirit. This anointing was given to leaders and kings. Note:

This is why they continually had to sacrifice bulls and goats, because the Jews were still sinful. They were given the Ten Commandments to point out their sin.

But now Jesus, who is God, became the once and for all sacrifice, and those who want to actually follow Him, and not just use Him as a ticket out of hell, are given the gift of the Holy Spirit after they truly repent of their sin, Acts 2:38. The Holy Spirit makes them dead to sin, Romans 6:2, and they are given a new nature having destroyed the old nature, Romans 8:9. This is why we are no longer under the law, because we no longer sin willfully, as everyone does without Christ, 1 John 3:9. Now, the Holy Spirit is not just given to leaders, but is given to all who follow Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only those who had hands laid on them for a specific purpose by a prophet (in the above case, Moses was the prophet) received the impartation of the Holy Spirit.

"41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:"

This happened before Jesus was born and before he Died. There was no hands laid by any prophet.

The truth should have as few exceptions as possible.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Before Pentecost He was not indwelling in the New Testament sense.
Of course this is what the church invariably teaches, but it has no scriptural basis.

If the OT saints like Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, Solomon, Elijah etc. were unregenerate like the rest of fallen humanity, the only way they could possibly follow God would be by the strength of their flesh.
If they could do that without the inner life of God, then what's the point of being born again or being infilled with the Holy Spirit?

The truth is that all OT believers were born of the Holy Spirit just like we are. Some where also filled with the Spirit of God.

Jesus Christ, the lamb slain from the foundation of the earth.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course this is what the church invariably teaches, but it has no scriptural basis.

If the OT saints like Abraham, Moses, Samuel, David, Solomon, Elijah etc. were unregenerate like the rest of fallen humanity, the only way they could possibly follow God would be by the strength of their flesh.
If they could do that without the inner life of God, then what's the point of being born again or being infilled with the Holy Spirit?

The truth is that all OT believers were born of the Holy Spirit just like we are. Some where also filled with the Spirit of God.

Jesus Christ, the lamb slain from the foundation of the earth.
Acts 2 describes the promised coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost to abide with Christians.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
"41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:"

This happened before Jesus was born and before he Died. There was no hands laid by any prophet.

The truth should have as few exceptions as possible.

Hands are laid on rulers and kings, but God, Himself, makes His prophets.

• Optimistic
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟251,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
There is Isaiah 11:2, with the anointing and somehow there was power in the blood in the OT. And In Solomon's temple inauguration there was the angel carrying the coal of the fire of God to touch the prophet's lips. In the NT it mentions the Spirit of Christ in the hearts of the OT people. 1 Peter 1:11

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Acts 2 describes the promised coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost to abide with Christians.

Of course it does, but its completely wrong to stretch that into a doctrine that the OT believers were not born again, or didn't have the HS.
Just how do you imagine the Patriarchs did all the miracles without the HS?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok there's a big difference between the OT saints and us. There is now Gods laws so to speak that is written in our hearts that was not in them. And the Sweet sweet Holy Spirit was not in some or a few. One prophet said to a false prophet "Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?" The Holy Spirit was not always on them. We can not find it writen the Holy Spirit was in all them or a few of them. Its just not there. So much of this will be nothing more then speculation. Which is not truth.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Ok there's a big difference between the OT saints and us. There is now Gods laws so to speak that is written in our hearts that was not in them. And the Sweet sweet Holy Spirit was not in some or a few.
You completely misread what that scripture says or means. Like most Christians your teachers have misled you into believing that "the law written in their hearts" would be a completely new thing that had not happened before.
Jeremiah31v33But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

The truth is that all Old Testament saints had the law written in their hearts because they loved the Lord, as can be seen below.
Psalm40v8 I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart."
Isaiah51v7 "Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, A people in whose heart is My law; Do not fear the reproach of man, Nor be dismayed at their revilings.
Psalm37v30
30The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, And his tongue speaks justice.
31The law of his God is in his heart His steps do not slip.

One prophet said to a false prophet "Which way went the Spirit of the LORD from me to speak unto thee?" The Holy Spirit was not always on them.
Hilarious, you quote a prophet of Baal as proof for your theology.
We can not find it writen the Holy Spirit was in all them or a few of them.
You maybe need to read your bible more before making such claims.
The prophet of Baal which you quoted above was speaking to Micah the prophet who prophesied Ahab's death, but just to help you, lets look at a different Micah.
Micah3v8On the other hand I am filled with power—With the Spirit of the LORD And with justice and courage To make known to Jacob his rebellious act, Even to Israel his sin.
And also Exodus.
Ex28v3And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.
If God filled lowly craftsmen with the Holy Spirit to make stuff for the Tabernacle, don't you think He also filled the prophets and patriarchs?
Absence of evidence is never evidence of absence. ie. Just because scripture doesn't use the specific words you demand, that doesn't mean the facts have changed.
Its just not there. So much of this will be nothing more then speculation. Which is not truth.
Your argument here is also just speculation. If you want to make a stand, present some facts that can be checked.

Upvote 0