What is the difference between non-denomination and inter-denominational?

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I see these two terms used at times. I just use the term non-denominational at the moment because I haven't settled on any particular church (not because I have anything against denominational churches) - I am not fussed on defining myself by a group however.

But I guess there are groups, that might term themselves non-denominational. However I am nearly sure I have heard inter-denominational used to describe some churches. But I find it kind of puzzling to hear a church that people regularly attend described interdenominational - I can understand it in terms of describing an occasional one-off event that draws people from various denominations, who will never-the-less go back to their own church denomination again after it is over.

What is the correct use of these terms?

Last edited:

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Another difficulty surrounds the term "Catholic". Nowadays its often used as shorthand (ie. 'a catholic', 'the Catholic Church') for Roman Catholic. But it seems to have a somewhat different meaning for other theologians - who seem to use the term to refer to all visible churches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
There are typically more interdenominational churches among the Protestant mainline. Like the community church movement of earlier times, its a way to consolidate resources for shared mission. Typically what you will see are PC-USA, TEC, or ELCA ministering together.

An example would be a church like House for All Sinners and Saints in Denver. It used to have an ELCA pastor, but now the pastor is TEC (Episcopalian). It still affiliates with the ELCA's synod, however.

• Useful
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Another difficulty surrounds the term "Catholic". Nowadays its often used as shorthand (ie. 'a catholic', 'the Catholic Church') for Roman Catholic. But it seems to have a somewhat different meaning for other theologians.
If it helps, the correct usage is typically "Catholic" with a big "c" to refer to members of the Catholic Church while "catholic" with a little "c" is used in a more general way.

Honestly, the same issue sometimes faces the Orthodox Church (big "o") as well as "orthodox", again, in a more general sense.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If it helps, the correct usage is typically "Catholic" with a big "c" to refer to members of the Catholic Church while "catholic" with a little "c" is used in a more general way.

Honestly, the same issue sometimes faces the Orthodox Church (big "o") as well as "orthodox", again, in a more general sense.

Yes I agree its similiar in regard to Orthodox.

But it still using the term in a confusing manner - saying 'Catholic Church' when what is meant is Roman Catholic (ie those that recognise the See of Rome).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree its similiar in regard to Orthodox.

But it still using the term in a confusing manner - saying 'Catholic Church' when what is meant is Roman Catholic (ie those that recognise the See of Rome).
I understand that. But Roman Catholic isn’t very helpful either because there are different types of Catholics. One of my favorite YouTube personalities is Byzantine Catholic, for example. Also, in a few weeks I was thinking about visiting a nearby Maronite Catholic parish.

There’s more to the Catholic world than being Roman Catholic is my point.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I understand that. But Roman Catholic isn’t very helpful either because there are different types of Catholics. One of my favorite YouTube personalities is Byzantine Catholic, for example. Also, in a few weeks I was thinking about visiting a nearby Maronite Catholic parish.

I think I get what you are saying. Though I had been thinking of Roman Catholic as a proper title. But after doing a bit of reading I see its not really used by Catholics.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think I get what you are saying. Though I had been thinking of Roman Catholic as a proper title. But after doing a bit of reading I see its not really used by Catholics.
Somewhat. It's true of me. I am Roman Catholic.

Just saying that Roman Catholics aren't the only Catholics out there. The Eastern Catholics deserve recognition as well.

Upvote 0