What is the difference between Christianity and other religions?

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not asking you to have all the answers or be perfect, I am inviting you to think about the things you are saying and to recognize the danger of what you are saying. The message you are preaching is not hope and salvation, but despair and hopelessness.

-CryptoLutheran

The Holy Spirit gives us Power. The Holy Spirit gives us the desire and Power to live for God.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That just amounts to picking certain sins that are beyond the pale but lets others slide in the name of "struggling" with them. Sort of like how Homer Simpson "struggles" with his donut habit. It's a struggle that you can offer your bit of dill and cumin to the gods of piety while you happily live your bourgeois, self-centered life. This is actually a clandestine form of cheap grace.

Not at all because it is not dependent on us. He is changing us in His timing, not our timing. We don't do the work, He does.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That just amounts to picking certain sins that are beyond the pale but lets others slide in the name of "struggling" with them. Sort of like how Homer Simpson "struggles" with his donut habit. It's a struggle that you can offer your bit of dill and cumin to the gods of piety while you happily live your bourgeois, self-centered life. This is actually a clandestine form of cheap grace.

God changes us, we don't choose to change and we don't change ourselves, He does.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God changes you when He wants to and how He wants to. It is not dependent on us. It is all Him. He is doing the Saving and Changing. We are just trusting, and even that is given to us.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The fact is God has a reason for when and how He Saves and Changes us. It is on His time table, so we can't count anyone out. Your ministers might be Saved, I don't know.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Many times He is testing us to see if we will turn to Him and confess our sins and ask Him to forgive us and change us. To depend on Him, not ourselves and others. He never makes anyone sin. We sin because we want to sin.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Do you you really have Faith in God if you don't want to live like Him? I AM WHO I AM. We are who we are. Who we are is who we are following. If we follow Jesus we become more and more like Him.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

All I know is I want out from this world. I want to go to Heaven now. I don't enjoy this life and still living in sin and how the world is living. I prayed for three year for God to take me and He told me no over and over.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I cry over my sins. It bring me great pain! I want out and I want away from these people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

More than anything I want out so bad! Even if you gave me the whole world I would take Jesus.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
James 4:1-10 NLT
What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? [2] You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. [3] And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. [4] You adulterers! Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. [5] Do you think the Scriptures have no meaning? They say that God is passionate that the spirit he has placed within us should be faithful to him. [6] And he gives grace generously. As the Scriptures say, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” [7] So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. [8] Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. [9] Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. [10] Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
So I would say some people believe in Jesus because of the Bible, some because of miracles, some other reasons, but like the other fellow said nobody has an excess because God put it in our hearts to know Him. People just don't want to admit that they need Him. Jesus doesn't force anyone to believe in Him. He offers Salvation to everyone, but He says most people will reject Him. He wants everyone to be Saved and He tries very hard to get people to come to Him, but most never do.
Well that's one thing Christianity shares with other religions that claim to be the one ultimate truth: it must be taken on faith, because God either can't or won't simply prove to everybody what the truth is. It seems strange at best that Jesus is trying as hard as he can to save everybody, but he's just unable to convince people (that he himself created) that he's real. That's one of many many things in Christianity that simply don't add up to me and makes me question it.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But if such salvation were so good, like a billion dollars, what person in their right mind would turn it down? When people hear an "offer" of anything, they immediately feel manipulated, because they know there is always a catch, an agenda. This is not how God works, at least not how I understand God working.
Another way to put it: if you had enough money to give everybody in the whole world a billion dollars, and your highest wish was for everybody to receive it, and you had the actual power to show them this offer is in fact true... well, why wouldn't you? Why let it depend on a few people convincing all the rest of the people that it's true, and let the vast majority of people who ever lived miss out? Of course it gets worse when you replace "a billion dollars" with "heaven" and "poverty" with "hell".

Some will say "but God has already given you all the evidence." No, he hasn't. If he did, everybody would have believed. No person who has ever lived would freely choose hell or even death if they actually knew they could simply choose eternal life instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well that's one thing Christianity shares with other religions that claim to be the one ultimate truth: it must be taken on faith, because God either can't or won't simply prove to everybody what the truth is. It seems strange at best that Jesus is trying as hard as he can to save everybody, but he's just unable to convince people (that he himself created) that he's real. That's one of many many things in Christianity that simply don't add up to me and makes me question it.

If you want to know what the Bible has to say about that for your own reference here is a verse:

Romans 1:18-32 NLT
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. [19] They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. [20] For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God. [21] Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. As a result, their minds became dark and confused. [22] Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools. [23] And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles. [24] So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. [25] They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen. [26] That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. [27] And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved. [28] Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done. [29] Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. [30] They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. [31] They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. [32] They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

I would also add this verse because it talks about Jesus who is God, came to earth from Heaven, to Save everyone, and people stilled didn't believe in Him. He went around healing people, giving sight to the blind, healing the lame, the deaf, having compassion on the people. He feed thousands of people with only a few fish and a few loafs of bread, he raised people from the dead, and many of the people that were eye witnesses still didn't believe in Him, and even sent Him to die on a cross. Jesus tells us in this passage that we all know Him, those that want to stop sinning come to Him to be Saved, and those that don't want to stop sinning hide from Him. It is that simple.

John 3:10-21 NLT
Jesus replied, “You are a respected Jewish teacher, and yet you don’t understand these things? [11] I assure you, we tell you what we know and have seen, and yet you won’t believe our testimony. [12] But if you don’t believe me when I tell you about earthly things, how can you possibly believe if I tell you about heavenly things? [13] No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven. [14] And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, [15] so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life. [16] “For this is how God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. [17] God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. [18] “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. [19] And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. [20] All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. [21] But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants. ”

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

This would be another passage for your reference:

Deuteronomy 30:1-10 NLT
“In the future, when you experience all these blessings and curses I have listed for you, and when you are living among the nations to which the LORD your God has exiled you, take to heart all these instructions. [2] If at that time you and your children return to the LORD your God, and if you obey with all your heart and all your soul all the commands I have given you today, [3] then the LORD your God will restore your fortunes. He will have mercy on you and gather you back from all the nations where he has scattered you. [4] Even though you are banished to the ends of the earth, the LORD your God will gather you from there and bring you back again. [5] The LORD your God will return you to the land that belonged to your ancestors, and you will possess that land again. Then he will make you even more prosperous and numerous than your ancestors! [6] “The LORD your God will change your heart and the hearts of all your descendants, so that you will love him with all your heart and soul and so you may live! [7] The LORD your God will inflict all these curses on your enemies and on those who hate and persecute you. [8] Then you will again obey the LORD and keep all his commands that I am giving you today. [9] “The LORD your God will then make you successful in everything you do. He will give you many children and numerous livestock, and he will cause your fields to produce abundant harvests, for the LORD will again delight in being good to you as he was to your ancestors. [10] The LORD your God will delight in you if you obey his voice and keep the commands and decrees written in this Book of Instruction, and if you turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and soul.

Deuteronomy 30:11-20 NLT
“This command I am giving you today is not too difficult for you, and it is not beyond your reach. [12] It is not kept in heaven, so distant that you must ask, ‘Who will go up to heaven and bring it down so we can hear it and obey?’ [13] It is not kept beyond the sea, so far away that you must ask, ‘Who will cross the sea to bring it to us so we can hear it and obey?’ [14] No, the message is very close at hand; it is on your lips and in your heart so that you can obey it. [15] “Now listen! Today I am giving you a choice between life and death, between prosperity and disaster. [16] For I command you this day to love the LORD your God and to keep his commands, decrees, and regulations by walking in his ways. If you do this, you will live and multiply, and the LORD your God will bless you and the land you are about to enter and occupy. [17] “But if your heart turns away and you refuse to listen, and if you are drawn away to serve and worship other gods, [18] then I warn you now that you will certainly be destroyed. You will not live a long, good life in the land you are crossing the Jordan to occupy. [19] “Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live! [20] You can make this choice by loving the LORD your God, obeying him, and committing yourself firmly to him. This is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the LORD, you will live long in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another way to put it: if you had enough money to give everybody in the whole world a billion dollars, and your highest wish was for everybody to receive it, and you had the actual power to show them this offer is in fact true... well, why wouldn't you? Why let it depend on a few people convincing all the rest of the people that it's true, and let the vast majority of people who ever lived miss out? Of course it gets worse when you replace "a billion dollars" with "heaven" and "poverty" with "hell".

Some will say "but God has already given you all the evidence." No, he hasn't. If he did, everybody would have believed. No person who has ever lived would freely choose hell or even death if they actually knew they could simply choose eternal life instead.

Another passage for your reference:

2 Timothy 3:1-9 NLT
You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. [2] For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. [3] They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. [4] They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. [5] They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! [6] They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires. [7] (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth.) [8] These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith. [9] But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as with Jannes and Jambres.

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Maybe this is also good for you to read. Most people want sin, they don't want to live God's Way, it's not that they don't know what is Right and wrong, that they don't know God, they do, but they enjoy sin more then doing Right. It is easier and more fun! Many people are going to take the easy road.

2 Timothy 3:10-17 NLT
But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. [11] You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. [12] Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. [13] But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived. [14] But you must remain faithful to the things you have been taught. You know they are true, for you know you can trust those who taught you. [15] You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus. [16] All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. [17] God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

Upvote 0