Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this illustrates man's inability to follow the law perfectly. God has set a very high standard. One that is impossible for any man to follow perfectly. The only one who ever did was Christ Himself. This is why the substitutionary death of Christ is transferred to those who place faith in Him. Had Christ sinned He would have died for his own sin. But He did not.

His death redeems us and His resurrection demonstrates that He is God and the debt of sin has been paid. Prais Him!

(Looks like the sermon I heard on this subject took. :))

Upvote 0

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe, without really studing the text, the previous verses before this one, (vs. 11 - Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because " the rightious will live by faith. 12) The law is not based on faith.)

The curse is trying to live the law, and running around like a hamster in a wheel, trying to be "holy". Yet we are NOT justified by the law, or our works, Thank God. It is what Christ did for us on the cross, and or faith in HIM, that makes us redeemed!

Upvote 0

\o/

Aug 10, 2002
Visit site
✟427.00
The law is NOT the curse. The curse of the law is the fact that if one breaks the law, there are wages to be paid: death. 

When one is converted to Christ and filled with the Spirit of God, the law is written in the believer's mind and heart. He obeys the law, because of the work of God in him. Listen to GOD:

"I will put my laws
in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people." Heb 8:10

"in order that the righteous requirements of the law
might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit." Rom 8:4.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Are the long, detailed list of curses in Deu 28 where God says "if you disobey my laws these curses will come upon you...." part of the curse of the law? Or is that irrelevant to the "curse" of the law?

1. the law itself is not the curse -- cos Bible says the law is perfect and good.
2. isnt the curse of the law this: that if you dont obey all of it, 100% of the time, some bad things are going to come upon you -- Well, what are these things or curses? where are they stated in the Bible? besides death what else?

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Are the long, detailed list of curses in Deu 28 where God says "if you disobey my laws these curses will come upon you...." part of the curse of the law? Or is that irrelevant to the "curse" of the law?"

Context andrew. If I take your statements about something say you call someone "hunny" and then I look at someone else's statements and they call someone "hunny" I can't assume you're talking about the same person. Now if you specficially say at another time, "so and so is my hunny." then I can be confidient I know what you're talking about (or who). thus the passage I showed you is the explaition of what paul was refering to in Galatians because he explains himself in that passage. :)

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Andrew
Are the long, detailed list of curses in Deu 28 where God says "if you disobey my laws these curses will come upon you...." part of the curse of the law? Or is that irrelevant to the "curse" of the law?

1. the law itself is not the curse -- cos Bible says the law is perfect and good.
2. isnt the curse of the law this: that if you dont obey all of it, 100% of the time, some bad things are going to come upon you -- Well, what are these things or curses? where are they stated in the Bible? besides death what else?

Yes Andrew, I believe they are.  God says "I change not", and "He's the same yesterday, today, and forever".

Now, we are no longer under that curse because of what Jesus did for us at the cross.  However, our enemy seeks to "kill, steal, and destroy". Our enemy is a master lier. And too often we spend more time listening to what he says via the world, about our issues.  If we're listening to the world, we're not hearing God.

If we are hearing more of the world, then we put ourselves in agreement with our enemy, walking by his rule, reaping his law of death.

God says, "My sheep know My voice and the voice of another they will not follow." So I think what we need to build up is our listening skills to His voice.  And the only way I know to do that is by the Word.  "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word."

When we have more of His voice speaking into our lives, over the enemy's voice, we will begin to walk like who we are . .. children of God, redeemed from the curse of the law. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "curse of the law" is simply a written down version of what was built into creation since day one. The curse did not start when the law was written, and the effect of it in the flesh has not ceased.

There must be justice and in balance in creation. If sin is committed and not forgiven, nature itself will automatically enact justice in some way. That is what "reaping and sowing" is all about. I call it "naturally occurring" justice. No policeman has to seek out the perp... No judge or jury has to be convened to carry out this process. It is built into creation.

Gal 6:
7  Do not be deceived, God is not mocked. For whatever a man may sow, that he also will reap.
8  For the one sowing to his flesh will reap corruption of the flesh. But the one sowing to the Spirit will reap everlasting life from the Spirit.

Dear friends, this is serious! Do not take sin lightly! The saying goes "be sure your sin will find you out."  How true!

Job 4
8  As I have seen, the ones who plow iniquity and sow misery reap the same.

Pro 22
8  He that soweth iniquity shall reap calamity; And the rod of his wrath shall fail.

Some places in the scripture my lead you to believe that God is personlly carrying out this justice, but I think it is nature itself as His proxy. Look at this:

Lev 18:
27  For the men of the land who are before you have done all these disgusting things, and the land is defiled.
28  Do not do these lest the land vomit you out for your defiling it, as it has vomited out the nation that was before you.
29  For anyone who does any of these disgusting things, even the persons who are doing them, shall be cut off from the midst of their people.

Here we see the land itself cleansing itself of whole nations.

I think people miss one important thing in all this. There are two levels or kinds of sins. One is a spiritual sin, which results in spiritual death, and the other is a "flesh" sin that results in the corruption of the flesh or "the curse of the law" which we are discussing.

Look at this principle of the curse of the law:

Heb 2:
2  For if the word spoken through angels proved stedfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward;

A sin in nature will receive a "just recompense of reward". That means the "punishment" will match the sin. An eye for and eye... a tooth for a tooth, NOT a life for a tooth: that would not be equal and just. So this also means not a spiritual life for a physical sin. That is not just recompense.

Blessed saints and friends... strive against sin and seek mercy. There is no sin that is hidden, and no unrighteousness that is not bare before His eyes. If you have some sin, confess it and know that He is just and faithful to forgive. Hold no grudge against any, and forgive! Make amends and peace with each other. There is a fearful sorrow that awaits the proud and bitter. I speak as from the Lord

Upvote 0

sbbqb7n16

Veteran - Blue Bible Dude
Jan 13, 2002
Texas
Visit site
✟25,010.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Read also:

Romans 7:7-8:4

This is where Paul addresses your question head-on (pretty much). It shows that the law although good and perfect, creates sin, because "where there is no law, there is no transgression." If it wasn't said "don't covet" you wouldn't be guilty of it if you did. Herein lies the "curse." It is embedded in the fact that when you break the law you sin. If there is no law to break, there is no sin, and therefore no curse upon us. The law points out what sin is, and if we break it (which all inevitably do) then we are under the curse. This is one of those wierd topics where you see how it fits together but it's really hard to explain :D. I hope I did a good job! Have a great day!!

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Thanks for all 3 responses, basically, what I want to know from you guys (save Louis) is whether you consider the curses in Deu 28 a curse of the Law. In Deu 28, God says that if we dont obey his laws, then curses will come upon thee eg sickness, poverty, broken relationships, adultery etc.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for all 3 responses, basically, what I want to know from you guys (save Louis) is whether you consider the curses in Deu 28 a curse of the Law. In Deu 28, God says that if we dont obey his laws, then curses will come upon thee eg sickness, poverty, broken relationships, adultery etc.

Well Andrew,

Maybe I did not understand your question. Hmm, let me think :scratch:

To put it simply, I think the curses are due to disobedience to what God said.  He said if you do what I said, you will be blessed.  If you don't do what I said, you will be cursed.

So we have a choice. Obedience or disobedience.

:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Well, quite close Quaffie :)

Deu 28 is OC stuff. under OC system, obey God's laws and you get blessed, disobey and God lets the curses come on you.

Now we are in NC. We get blessed irregardless of obedience or disobedience to laws. ie it's not our performance anymore but Christ's. God blesses us becos of Christ. Of cse, if we disobey and sin -- there are consequences. eg if u speed, u get into an accident, but u cant say God caused the accident.

Christ has redeemed uss also from the curses of the law listed in Deu 28. so by combining Deu 28 and Ga 3:13, we can see what is part of redemption. We can prove that healing and prosperity (among many other things) are part of the redemptive work of Christ.

eg: redeemed from all types of sickness =

Deu 28:61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.
+
Ga 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

eg: redeemed from poverty/lack =

Deu 28:17 Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store. 18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
+
Ga 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

and so on and so forth.....

so u can see the richness and value of Christ's work. It's so much more than just dying for our sins and giving us his righteousness although that is the most valuable.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Well, quite close Quaffie :)

Deu 28 is OC stuff. under OC system, obey God's laws and you get blessed, disobey and God lets the curses come on you.

Now we are in NC. We get blessed irregardless of obedience or disobedience to laws. ie it's not our performance anymore but Christ's. God blesses us becos of Christ. Of cse, if we disobey and sin -- there are consequences. eg if u speed, u get into an accident, but u cant say God caused the accident.

Christ has redeemed uss also from the curses of the law listed in Deu 28. so by combining Deu 28 and Ga 3:13, we can see what is part of redemption. We can prove that healing and prosperity (among many other things) are part of the redemptive work of Christ.

eg: redeemed from all types of sickness =

Deu 28:61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.
+

eg: redeemed from poverty/lack =

Deu 28:17 Cursed shall be thy basket and thy store. 18 Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body, and the fruit of thy land, the increase of thy kine, and the flocks of thy sheep.
+

and so on and so forth.....

so u can see the richness and value of Christ's work. It's so much more than just dying for our sins and giving us his righteousness although that is the most valuable.

Thank you Jesus for your covenant with us.  We are redeemed from the curse of the law.  We don't have to live under it's curse anymore.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.