What is the Christian method of getting a girlfriend?

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you ready with housing and budgeting for mariage ? There's no clue in the Bible.

When you find a woman which attracts you, dont hesitate to tell her that you like her, say this clearly, not every woman will accept you though, dont be afraid, try others, because single women are looking for men either.

Or you can also follow old Chinese tradition, when an established man is looking for a girl, he searched for information about her and if found the woman is decent and good, he will introduce himself to her family and directly propose to marry the girl. The girl's family will then investigate his family and then let them have a date to know each other better for possible marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

66/40

Mar 6, 2016
I banned this website
✟4,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Answer: Find a girl that is also a believer. You both should be equally yoked.

2Corinthians 6:14 (NIV)
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In biblical times marriages where arranged by the parrents often before the children reach there teens. Marriage was the nor for adualts and courtship was very rare.
So the bible says nothing about girl/boyfriends.

All I would suggest is to talk to the girls you know/meet. If you find that you can keep talking to a girl, test whether she likes you by asking her to go for a coffee, if that works ask her to go to something, bowling, a museum, a walk and take it from there.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This may sound elementary, but God tells men that they should love their wives like Christ loves the church. That's pretty serious.

Also, a man is spiritually responsible for guiding his family in the ways of God. This includes prayer together, outside bible study and to raise his children in Christ which would also probably include becoming part of a church community and paricipating.

• Agree
Reactions: Poppyseed78
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

I'm serious. I want to know what the Bible says about the subject of getting a partner.

Does the Bible even talk about it?
The Bible doesn't mention girlfriend/boyfriend or dating...it contains information on getting a spouse and honoring your spouse.

Dating wasn't a custom...but courtship could be linked to the getting a spouse...specially when there was a long courtship, most courtships were relatively short. Parents did the marital arranging and when there weren't any living parts the task could fall to a close relative.

My courtship went like this: We met online, chatted for a month+ met in person
spent a week meeting family, attending church, talking at length about ourselves,
our shortcomings, struggles, families/friends, dreams/goals etc.

On paper we spelled out what each of us expected from a spouse and what each of us will contribute in marriage, what our values are, our goals etc: I wanted this/he wants that...we found compatibility, transparency and had many of the same values in common.
We got engaged and married about a month later...that was done over a decade ago.

Biblical based advice for selecting someone suitable for marriage:
Don't be unequally yoked...2 Corinthians 6:14.

Be regularly in prayer about finding a suitable wife and you walking humbly
with the Lord and abiding in Him...
Psalm 25:4-5
"Show me the path where I should walk, O lord; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you."

"Plain speaking"...If you're like most hard-working " joes" in the US, do be careful to do all your homework when it comes to finding a suitable spouse...cause the reality is, there's a no-fault divorce system ...which means the system is not on your side.
In the majority of the divorces the money, possessions and children aren't equally distributed ...not too mention gov programs are geared towards promoting and keeping in place single parent homes...they want the fathers out of the picture.

The family consists of mom, dad and children...biblical model, the one that
the world continually seeks to reconfigure to suit it's changing views.

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟224,107.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the idea of "getting" a girlfriend is the wrong approach. You are not buying a puppy.

But if you are looking for a relationship that is Godly, then develop friendships with other believers, both male and female. Pray for God to lead you to the lady He has for you. When you meet someone with whom you think you might be compatible, invite her to coffee and get to know her better. Go slowly and prayerfully, and see where God leads you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm serious. I want to know what the Bible says about the subject of getting a partner.

Does the Bible even talk about it?

I don't think that there is anything specific about that. But in general, you humbly ask God, if it is His will, to send you a godly woman who loves the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 4:6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Upvote 0

Elliewaves

Untouchable internet saint
Dec 18, 2011
✟97,387.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
or try these ways:
The Top 15 Biblical Ways to Acquire a Wife
Find an attractive prisoner of war, bring her home, shave her head, trim her nails, and give her new clothes. Then she's yours.
-- Deuterononmy (Deuteronomy 21:11-13)

Find a prostitute and marry her.
-- Hosea (Hosea 1:1-3)

Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock.
-- Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

Purchase a piece of property, and get a woman as part of the deal.
-- Boaz (Ruth 4:5-10)

Go to a party and hide. When the women come out to dance, grab one and carry her off to be your wife.
-- Benjaminites (Judges 21:19-25)

Have God create a wife for you while you sleep. Note: this will cost you a rib.
-- Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

Agree to work seven years in exchange for a woman's hand in marriage. Get tricked into marrying the wrong woman. Then work another seven years for the woman you wanted to marry in the first place. That's right. Fourteen years of toil for a woman.
-- Jacob (Genesis 29:15-30)

Cut off 200 foreskins off of your future father-in-law's enemies and get his daughter for a wife.
-- David (I Samuel 18:27)

Even if no one is out there, just wander around a bit and you'll definitely find someone. (It's all relative of course.)
-- Cain (Genesis 4:16-17)

Become the emperor of a huge nation and hold a beauty contest.
-- Xerxes or Ahasuerus (Esther 2:3-4)

When you see someone you like, go home and tell your parents, "I have seen a ...woman; now get her for me." If your parents question your decision, simply say, "Get her for me. She's the one for me."
-- Samson (Judges 14:1-3)

Kill any husband and take HIS wife. (Prepare to lose four sons though).
-- David (2 Samuel 11)

Wait for your brother to die. Take his widow. (It's not just a good idea, it's the law).
-- Onan and Boaz (Deuteronomy or Leviticus, example in Ruth)

Don't be so picky. Make up for quality with quantity.
-- Solomon (1 Kings 11:1-3)

A wife?...NOT!!!
-- Paul (1 Corinthians 7:32-35)

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
or try these ways:
The Top 15 Biblical Ways to Acquire a Wife
Find an attractive prisoner of war, bring her home, shave her head, trim her nails, and give her new clothes. Then she's yours.
-- Deuterononmy (Deuteronomy 21:11-13)

Find a prostitute and marry her.
-- Hosea (Hosea 1:1-3)

Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock.
-- Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

Purchase a piece of property, and get a woman as part of the deal.
-- Boaz (Ruth 4:5-10)

Go to a party and hide. When the women come out to dance, grab one and carry her off to be your wife.
-- Benjaminites (Judges 21:19-25)

Have God create a wife for you while you sleep. Note: this will cost you a rib.
-- Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

Agree to work seven years in exchange for a woman's hand in marriage. Get tricked into marrying the wrong woman. Then work another seven years for the woman you wanted to marry in the first place. That's right. Fourteen years of toil for a woman.
-- Jacob (Genesis 29:15-30)

Cut off 200 foreskins off of your future father-in-law's enemies and get his daughter for a wife.
-- David (I Samuel 18:27)

Even if no one is out there, just wander around a bit and you'll definitely find someone. (It's all relative of course.)
-- Cain (Genesis 4:16-17)

Become the emperor of a huge nation and hold a beauty contest.
-- Xerxes or Ahasuerus (Esther 2:3-4)

When you see someone you like, go home and tell your parents, "I have seen a ...woman; now get her for me." If your parents question your decision, simply say, "Get her for me. She's the one for me."
-- Samson (Judges 14:1-3)

Kill any husband and take HIS wife. (Prepare to lose four sons though).
-- David (2 Samuel 11)

Wait for your brother to die. Take his widow. (It's not just a good idea, it's the law).
-- Onan and Boaz (Deuteronomy or Leviticus, example in Ruth)

Don't be so picky. Make up for quality with quantity.
-- Solomon (1 Kings 11:1-3)

A wife?...NOT!!!
-- Paul (1 Corinthians 7:32-35)
We are New Covenant Christians, right?

Upvote 0