What is the Catholic view of the Antichrist and the End Times?

Norm d'Plume

May 27, 2015
✟11,524.00
I bought a study guide recently to help me understand Revelation, but it turns out it only gives the Futurist interpretation, which is only one of four many points of view (Futurist, Preterist (partial or full), Idealist, and Historicist). Can anyone tell me what the Catholic interpretation is? From research online, I think it's partial Preterist, but my sources aren't clear. Under Catholicism, will there be a physical (human) Antichrist? And is the Antichrist the first beast of Revelation ("seven heads and ten horns"), or is he the False Prophet?

Thanks.
Norm

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,522.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Norm,

The official position of the Catholic Church has one or two defined points, but the rest is open to interpretation.

One thing you will find is that Catholics, in general, rarely talk about eschatology and most Catholics know very little about it. Due to the fact that eschatology is rarely taught in Catholic Churches, for some of Catholics, the popular protestant versions of eschatology might be all they've ever heard. I'm a Catholic, though I was raised non-denominational protestant and I was very into eschatology when I was growing up so I'm fairly familiar with most sides of the topic.

The first point, defined in the Nicean creed is that Catholics must believe in a future, physical, return of Jesus Christ and bodily resurrection of the dead. As a result of this point, full Preterism would be viewed as a heresy, and a pretty serious one. Denial of the future return of Christ and the bodily resurrection would be a pretty big deal and, I think, would seriously undermine other important aspects of Catholic doctrine and theology.

The second major point is that the Catholic Church has officially condemned the teaching of pre-millenialism as well. Pre-millenialism being the belief that the "millenial kingdom" will be a literal political state government set up by Jesus after his future return. The official position of the Catholic Church is A-millenialism, though this is somewhat of a misnomer. Catholic teaching holds that the "millenial reign" or "millenial kingdom" describes the time period in which the gospel is going out into the nations and Christ is reigning in the Church. In other words, the millenial kingdom is a spiritual kingdom within the Church, not a literal physical kingdom.

As long as an idea falls within the two points above, it is fair game for Catholics. You can be a historicist or a futurist in regards to most of Revelation, as long as you don't break the two defined points listed above.

Having said that. The Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is official teaching does depict the Anti-Christ and the tribulation of the Church under the Anti-Christ as future events. It is relatively common, I think, for Catholic scholars to hold historicist views regarding many prophecies in scripture, but then also to acknowledge that those historical fulfillments were archetypes of final future fulfillments as well. A common phrase in Catholic circles is "already but not yet". This is meant to reflect that archetypes have come, or that things have begun to be fulfilled, but the consummation, the final fulfillment has not yet happened.

If you want a Catholic perspective on the Book of Revelation, I would recommend "The Lambs Supper" by Scott Hahn. Though I would warn you that the books actually deals relatively little with traditional Eschatology. It highlights the point that Catholics tend to see Revelation as primarily about the establishing of the Church as the New Heavenly Jerusalem after the destruction of Earthly Jerusalem

Though Catholics don't often teach directly on eschatology, eschatology is important in Catholic doctrine and theology because everything is tied together. The Eucharist is the central point of Catholicism and the Eucharist has eschatological dimensions, after all, it is the appearing of Christ, his direct presence, the rapture of the Church as we are caught up into heaven, and the wedding feast of the Lamb at every Mass.

Upvote 0

Norm d'Plume

May 27, 2015
✟11,524.00
My thanks to everyone who responded. After reading five books on the subject, I realized just how divergent the interpretations are in Revelation from a Catholic perspective. The most coherent interpretation I read is a partial preterist perspective that places much of Revelation in the past (AD 70, the destruction of Jerusalem) while keeping open the future end times yet to be realized by the Church. This views the Beast of the Sea as Ancient Rome, and the False Prophet as apostate Jerusalem. Treating these as past events avoids the need for two returns of Christ, which is a form of heresy.

Upvote 0

Crusader05

Veteran
Jan 23, 2005
Omaha, NE
✟22,762.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Great thread and thanks @Simon_Templar for the great overview of Catholic eschatology! As a former baptist turned catholic I love the Catholic understanding of the end times, it's so much simpler than the rapture stuff I was taught as a kid.

Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I would guess they dont believe that the Pope will be the Anti-Christ :)

(as one or two persons have elsewhere claimed)

The Catholic faith has a very long history. I have found that endtimes teaching is not talked about very much in the rc church these days but that was not always the case. Infact it seems to be a very recent phenomonon. However even in todays church there are those who talk of such things. Like i say the faith has a very long history and the best way i have found is not to get hungup on lables but to read the words of the saints matyrs mystics and visionaries the church has had. So to respond to your post it appears that in the eyes of saints mystics and visionaries approved of by Rome herself it appears more than one or two of the saints may disagree with that statement

"Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the Antichrist" - our lady of la salette a church approved apperition of St Mary mother of Jesus

"St. Augustine therefore and St. Jerome do think, that this sitting of Antichrist in the temple, doth signify his sitting in the Church of Christ, rather than in Solomon's temple."

"St. John calleth Antichrists as his precursors, should go out of the Church, and the great Antichrist himself should be of the Church, and in the Church, and continue in the same. And yet to them that make the whole Church in revolt from God, this is no absurdity. But the truth is, that this Antichristian revolt here spoken of, is from the Catholic Church: and Antichrist, if he ever were of or in the Church, shall be an Apostate and a renegade out of the Church, and he shall usurp upon it by tyranny, and by challenging worship, religion, and government thereof, so that himself shall be adored in all the Churches of the world which he list to leave standing for his honor. And this is to sit in the temple or *against the Temple of God, as some interpret. If any Pope did ever this, or shall do, then let the Adversaries call him Antichrist"

Original douay rheims (catholic church aporoved) bible commentary on 2thess2

"We are living in the days of the Apocalypse–the last days of our era…. The two great forces of the Mystical Body of Christ and the Mystical Body of Antichrist are beginning to draw up the battle lines for the catastrophic contest.”

“The False Prophet will have a religion without a cross. A religion without a world to come. A religion to destroy religions. There will be a counterfeit church. Christ’s Church [the Catholic Church] will be one. And the False Prophet will create the other. The false church will be worldly ecumenical, and global. It will be a loose federation of churches. And religions forming some type of global association. A world parliament of churches. It will be emptied of all divine content and will be the mystical body of the Antichrist. The mystical body on earth today will have its Judas Iscariot and he will be the false prophet. Satan will recruit him from among our bishops.”

"The Antichrist will not be so called; otherwise he would have no followers. He will not wear red tights, nor vomit sulfur, nor carry a trident nor wave an arrowed tail as Mephistopheles in Faust. This masquerade has helped the Devil convince men that he does not exist. When no man recognizes, the more power he exercises. God has defined Himself as "I am Who am," and the Devil as "I am who am not."
Nowhere in Sacred Scripture do we find warrant for the popular myth of the Devil as a buffoon who is dressed like the first "red." Rather is he described as an angel fallen from heaven, as "the Prince of this world," whose business it is to tell us that there is no other world. His logic is simple: if there is no heaven there is no hell; if there is no hell, then there is no sin; if there is no sin, then there is no judge, and if there is no judgment then evil is good and good is evil. But above all these descriptions, Our Lord tells us that he will be so much like Himself that he would deceive even the elect–and certainly no devil ever seen in picture books could deceive even the elect. How will he come in this new age to win followers to his religion?
The pre-Communist Russian belief is that he will come disguised as the Great Humanitarian; he will talk peace, prosperity and plenty not as means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves. . . .
. . . The third temptation in which Satan asked Christ to adore him and all the kingdoms of the world would be His, will become the temptation to have a new religion without a Cross, a liturgy without a world to come, a religion to destroy a religion, or a politics which is a religion – one that renders unto Caesar even the things that are God's.
In the midst of all his seeming love for humanity and his glib talk of freedom and equality, he will have one great secret which he will tell to no one: he will not believe in God. Because his religion will be brotherhood without the fatherhood of God, he will deceive even the elect. He will set up a counterchurch which will be the ape of the Church, because he, the Devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the Antichrist that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ…But the twentieth century will join the counterchurch because it claims to be infallible when its visible head speaks ex cathedra from Moscow on the subject of economics and politics, and as chief shepherd of world communism."

Venerable Archbishop fulton sheen

There are many many more even the offical "catholic belif" catechism of the catholic church tells us

675 Before Christ's second coming the
Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers. The persecution that
accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception
offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. the supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

The Grouch

Oct 20, 2017
England
✟40,747.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
probaly something in line with "antichrist is not a bad guy, he is actually a christian" and "hell do no exist, when jesus comes back everyone including the beast and the false prophet will be in haven".

Well thats not true, that is as far removed from Catholic understanding of hell antichrist and false prophet as you can probably get... now if u said the current administration would probably say something like that i would agree but its not the true catholic understanding

Upvote 0