✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
From my Catholic membership class...

"The Bible is the Word of God and no greater assurance of credibility could be given."

"The Bible is inspired by God. What exactly does this mean? It means that God is the Author. God inspired the penmen to write as He wished and guided them to do so without error."

IMHO, Catholics and Protestants do not disagree on the theology of Scripture. Where we disagree is on the process of norming interpretations of that Scripture. In all my MANY discussions with my FULL, UNseparated Catholic brothers and sisters, I've never disagreed on what Scripture says. We've only disagreed on whether the interpretation of the RCC is infallible and unaccountable in it's own individual interpretation of that Scripture we all agree on. BUT, we agree on the theology of Scripture itself and it's good to remind all of that and celebrate that.

Great thread! Thank you!

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What is the Catholic position on the Bible?

It is a doctrine of The Church that the Holy Scriptures are the inerrant and God brethed. The doctrine of inerrancy flows very naturally from the Church's teaching that Scripture is the Word of God. If the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit, if it is the Word of God and God is Truth...than all that He says must be truth. No error can be contained in anything spoken by God. So if the Bible is inspired it would be free of error.

The Holy Scripture of the New Testament was declared by and as a result of the Decree of Pope St. Damasus 1 at the Council of Rome in 382 A.D.

The Decree of Pope St. Damasus I, Council of Rome. 382 A.D....

ST. DAMASUS 1, POPE, THE DECREE OF DAMASUS:

It is likewise decreed: Now, indeed, we must treat of the divine Scriptures: what the universal Catholic Church accepts and what she must shun.
The list of the
Scriptures of the New and Eternal Testament, which the holy and Catholic Church receives: of the Gospels, one book according to Matthew, one book according to Mark, one book according to Luke, one book according to John. The Epistles of the Apostle Paul, fourteen in number: one to the Romans, two to the Corinthians, one to the Ephesians, two to the Thessalonians, one to the Galatians, one to the Philippians, one to the Colossians, two to Timothy, one to Titus one to Philemon, one to the Hebrews. Likewise, one book of the Apocalypse of John. And the Acts of the Apostles, one book. Likewise, the canonical Epistles, seven in number: of the Apostle Peter, two Epistles; of the Apostle James, one Epistle; of the Apostle John, one Epistle; of the other John, a Presbyter, two Epistles; of the Apostle Jude the Zealot, one Epistle. Thus concludes the canon of the New Testament.
Likewise it is decreed: After the announcement of all of these prophetic and evangelic or as well as apostolic writings which we have listed above as Scriptures, on which, by the grace of God, the Catholic Church is founded, we have considered that it ought to be announced that although all the Catholic Churches spread abroad through the world comprise but one bridal chamber of Christ, nevertheless, the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by the conciliar decisions of other Churches, but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: "You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it; and I will give to you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you shall have bound on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you shall have loosed on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

The Council of Hippo in 393 reaffirmed the canon put forth by Pope Damasus I...

AD 393:
Council of Hippo. "It has been decided that besides the canonical Scriptures nothing be read in church but the canonical Scriptures
." (canon 36 A.D. 393).

The Third Council of Carthage reaffirmed anew, the Canon put forth by Pope Damasus I...

AD 397: Council of Carthage III. "It has been decided that nothing except the canonical Scriptures should be read in the Church under the name of the divine Scriptures.
(canon 47 A.D. 397).

May the grace and peace of Our Lord Jesus Christ be with you always.

Your brother in Christ.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, let's put it this way...

Anytime I ask a Roman Catholic to back up one of their church's teachings with scripture, they give me the CCC.

When we, as individuals, read or search the scriptures for learning about God.

Isn't it possible that we can develop different interpretations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
According to orthodoxy, what does faith mean in the Christian walk?

I do not know of an official answer so forgive me if I err but I would say that faith is a profound and lifestyle altering system of belief. It is far more than a simple acceptance of fact.
I can believe that a tree is growing in india. That belief does not alter my behavior. I will continue to live just as I was before. That is not faith. It is simple acceptance of fact.

Upvote 0

Isidore_AK

May 7, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
✟477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, let's put it this way...

Anytime I ask a Roman Catholic to back up one of their church's teachings with scripture, they give me the CCC.
And its proper to do so. The Catechism of the Catholic Church has a good explanation of our beliefs, and references both Scripture and Tradition in its pages.

...otherwise I'd have to refer to the Bible in the whole, since I'm particularly opposed to the concept of prooftexting by a verse here and a verse there...

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And its proper to do so. The Catechism of the Catholic Church has a good explanation of our beliefs, and references both Scripture and Tradition in its pages.

So then, you believe that the CCC is equal to the Bible in authority?

...otherwise I'd have to refer to the Bible in the whole, since I'm particularly opposed to the concept of prooftexting by a verse here and a verse there...

I'll be sure to remember that next time a Roman Catholic tries to explain to us why Peter is the first pope.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
When we, as individuals, read or search the scriptures for learning about God.

Isn't it possible that we can develop different interpretations?

I can't imagine what "interpretation" would lead us to the conclusion that the CCC is on a par with the word of God.

Reactions: Bro_Sam
Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It is a doctrine of The Church that the Holy Scriptures are the inerrant and God brethed. The doctrine of inerrancy flows very naturally from the Church's teaching that Scripture is the Word of God. If the Bible is inspired by the Holy Spirit, if it is the Word of God and God is Truth...than all that He says must be truth. No error can be contained in anything spoken by God. So if the Bible is inspired it would be free of error.

:thumbsup:

Just want to rejoice that my brother in Christ and I are on EXACTLY the same page here...

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I do not know of an official answer so forgive me if I err but I would say that faith is a profound and lifestyle altering system of belief. It is far more than a simple acceptance of fact.
I can believe that a tree is growing in india. That belief does not alter my behavior. I will continue to live just as I was before. That is not faith. It is simple acceptance of fact.

If a good philosopher asks you "What is the meaning of faith" what will you tell him?

Upvote 0
T

Teshi

So then, you believe that the CCC is equal to the Bible in authority?

The CCC references the Bible. So if someone refers you to the CCC, you'll get scripture and the explaination of how that scripture is applied according to Church teaching. So if a Catholic refers you to the Catechism, they're killing two birds with one stone - both showing you the explanation of their belief, and of its scriptural backing.

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The CCC references the Bible. So if someone refers you to the CCC, you'll get scripture and the explaination of how that scripture is applied according to Church teaching. So if a Catholic refers you to the Catechism, they're killing two birds with one stone - both showing you the explanation of their belief, and of its scriptural backing.

Actually, many points in the CCC are not backed up with scripture, but are only there to impart Roman Catholic dogma.

Even if what you're saying were true, this still doesn't make the CCC scripture.

Pro. Catholics are pro-Bible.

Then why do so many of their teachings contradict the Bible?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.