What is the best piece of advice you ever received?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am a child of Pentecostal revival. When the revivals began to dissipate away I began to study why and began to believe that there are seven church movements and the one that I had experienced, with roots in the John Wesley revival, was beginning to come to an end. The seven churches as I believe...

Ephesus - Messianic - Beginning with the Apostle to the Circumcision, Peter
Smyrna - Martyr - Beginning with the Apostle to the Un-Circumcision, Paul
Pergamos - Orthodoxy formed in this time... Pergos is a tower... Needed in the dark ages
Thyatira - Catholicism formed in this time - The spirit of Jezebel is to control and to dominate.
Sardis - Protestantism formed in this time- A sardius is a gem - elegant yet hard and rigid
Philadelphia - Wesleyism formed in this time - To be sanctioned is to acquire it with love.
Laodicea - Charismatic movement formed in this time - Beginning with DL Moody, the first to make money off of ministry

I was spiritually distressed over the materialistic time in which I was living. One day I went to see my mother whose church was in revival. I overheard two ladies say that in the last days, "The people were going to have to cut their own paths."

That which I overheard was the best advice I have ever got, even though it was not directly spoken to me.

Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was advised to try a McChicken sandwich. Awesome! Lol

Speaking as one who has not been a fan of McDonald's for a long time now, the newer Buttercrisp Chicken sandwich is pretty good too.

Very unMcDonald's-like ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you had to choose one piece of advice that had struck you and stayed with you, what would it be?

You have the right to exercise self-control (in my 1st Grade school-room) ...

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A family member once told me "99 times out of 100, relationships aren't worth the trouble you put in."

I've found that to be true. But for me, I would say it's more 95/100.

Why is it like that?

Because we are all just so different?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Why is it like that?

Because we are all just so different?

Pretty much. I have had a lot of really bad dating-based relationships. A lot of women in their early 20's, not all, don't understand commitment.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Pretty much. I have had a lot of really bad dating-based relationships. A lot of women in their early 20's, not all, don't understand commitment.

Actually, I'd like to change where I said "commitment", to "loyalty". I feel that the word "commitment" means something a little different.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wouldn't that change when people start hitting their 30s-40s?

And by the way if you have that problem at 28 then... R.I.P Luca.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't that change when people start hitting their 30s-40s?

And by the way if you have that problem at 28 then... R.I.P Luca.

I'll be honest. I don't really have that problem when the woman I date is over 24.

It's when I have dated 20-22 year olds in the past.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'll be honest. I don't really have that problem when the woman I date is over 24.

It's when I have dated 20-22 year olds in the past.
Curious but if the person that you date was a Christian or any other faith, do you think that would affect the issue with loyalty? Or is it still apparent?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Curious but if the person that you date was a Christian or any other faith, do you think that would affect the issue with loyalty? Or is it still apparent?

It depends. A lot of Christian women on dating websites are very lukewarm Christians. I feel that the majority is. In such a case, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

A true Christian, I just feel in my heart, probably won't have as many loyalty issues.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It depends. A lot of Christian women on dating websites are very lukewarm Christians. I feel that the majority is. In such a case, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

A true Christian, I just feel in my heart, probably won't have as many loyalty issues.

Do you think that relationships are worth it?

I ask because in my situation, it would be pretty pointless to get in a relationship. Still somewhat dependent on family, not big enough income, education.

For an adult, the main and primary reason for getting in a relationship is for building a family, feeling loved by someone and sex?

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that relationships are worth it?

I ask because in my situation, it would be pretty pointless to get in a relationship. Still somewhat dependent on family, not big enough income, education.

For an adult, the main and primary reason for getting in a relationship is for a family, feeling loved by someone?

I can answer you question, but my answer will be pessimistic...

Most relationships are pretty poor and immature. They take you back to your High School days, even when you are my age. You go through all this mess with the hopes of finding the one. Upon finding the one, you will have a new perspective and possibly think all this searching and dating is now worth it.

This is all my personal opinion.

Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can answer you question, but my answer will be pessimistic...

Most relationships are pretty poor and immature. They take you back to your High School days, even when you are my age. You go through all this mess with the hopes of finding the one. Upon finding the one, you will have a new perspective and possibly think all this searching and dating is now worth it.

This is all my personal opinion.
I feel like that has to be somewhat true. We all seek to find 'the one'.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Luca. The best advice is probably along the lines of, making sure that you read God's Word prayerfully every day. :)

Upvote 0