✟18,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey all :wave: !
My husband and I currently own a chihuahua, which we have up for sale. He was great when we first got him at 8 weeks, but now he is tearing our floor up, tearing his pee pads up, and dragging his poop (and eating it!! Sorry if TMI!) across our house! I don't know why he has taken up this new behavior. He didn't get like this until I got pregnant. I didn't spend as much time with him and now he is still a faithful dog, he loves us too death, but his behavior is awful! He has bit us several times. I just can't take it anymore.
But I was wondering what is the best kind of dog, small dog, to have in the house? I want to get another dog, but I don't want to end up with one that will do the things he is doing. Thanks so much! :amen:

AngylBelle

#1 Cheesehead!!!
Jan 23, 2004
FL
✟14,088.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, this so much depends on personality and how much time you will be able to spend with the dog and how much time it will be left alone in the house. Certain breeds are more apt at getting separation anxiety. Others are more aggressive with certain people. The best dog I've ever had indoors was a Schipperke, but believe me, they aren't for everyone! He was the most loyal family pet but didn't like male strangers...he got ahold of the UPS mans *goods* twice! Mutts are great as well. My parents have a lab terrier mix who is the most gentle and well behaved dog I've ever met. She doesn't destroy the house, isn't agressive towards people, loves children, she really is ideal. I've heard others say the say thing about mixed breeds. You may want to check out your local Humane Society and pick one from there. Or go to local vets. I got a dog once stopping in a vet to look at their bulletin board for postings on puppy adoptions when they showed me a 6 month old mutt that was hit by a car and turned in anonymously. One look at her and she had a new home! There is nothing more satisfying than rescuing a homeless pet. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Sabina41

Oct 27, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟944.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The best dog inside depends a lot on training. You already seem to recognize that you have little time for a dog. If you didn't have time for the first, how much time will you have for a second? Also, since you've already admitted the problems that your current dog has, how many people will want to adopt him. I feel terrible for your dog in this situation. Best dog to have inside? None, if you can't train it properly or spend enough time with it.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We had Lhasa Apsos when I was young. They're great dogs - I can't remember them ever destroying anything. And they're great as guard dogs, they can hear the slightest sound from outside and will raise a ruckus so a potential bad guy will think there's Bull Mastiff's in the house. And they're beautiful.

Attachments

• lhasaapso.jpg
    lhasaapso.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jennie726 said:
My husband and I currently own a chihuahua, which we have up for sale. He was great when we first got him at 8 weeks, but now he is tearing our floor up, tearing his pee pads up, and dragging his poop (and eating it!! Sorry if TMI!) across our house! I don't know why he has taken up this new behavior. He didn't get like this until I got pregnant. I didn't spend as much time with him and now he is still a faithful dog, he loves us too death, but his behavior is awful! He has bit us several times. I just can't take it anymore.
But I was wondering what is the best kind of dog, small dog, to have in the house? I want to get another dog, but I don't want to end up with one that will do the things he is doing. Thanks so much! :amen:

I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the other posters-it seems you do not have time for a dog right now. Perhaps wait a few years, when you'll have more time.

If you just must have a dog now, take a look at the local SPCA's or humane societies around your area and look for a pair of indoor dogs that are good with kids. They do exist! Often seniors will have two dogs, who spend time with their grandchildren, and then the senior dies, the dogs have no-where to go but the Humane Society. A pair of dogs will be able to spend time with each other, although you will still need to spend time with them.

Also, don't be fooled by size. A small dog needs as much love and attention as a big dog. A standard (18-30 pound) dachshund, poodle, mini shnauzer, Jack Russel, beagle and most larger terriers all need lots of exercise and playtime.

But again, if you don't have time for a chihuahua, a dog that you can carry around with you and that doesn't need much outside, time, you probably don't have time for any dog right now. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but a chihuahua only needs to be carried around and played with, and you're having trouble having enough time for it. Any other dog needs much more time!

Perhaps for now a fishtank would be your best bet, until you have the time to have a dog...a bonded pair of friendly SPCA cats might be another idea, but again, only after you have time to spend lots of energy on them (and a woman can't have much contact with cats when they are pregnant, due to the litter boxes and certian germs they contain in them)

Upvote 0

alwayz_remember_Calvery

Oct 3, 2004
✟15,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I must agree with everyone else, it sounds like you don't have time for another dog, especially a puppy. If you're dead set on getting a dog, go to the local pound/shelter/humane society and get an adult dog that is already house broken. You must also take into consideration that you're going to have a baby that will take up a lot of time. Then, the baby will be crawling on the floor where the dog is. Do you want that?

Reactions: Avatar
Upvote 0

Jennie726

Blessed Mommy & Wife
Feb 20, 2006
Alabama, USA
✟18,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't have any kids. I lost my twins 2 weeks ago. I wish I had them here with me, but God had other plans for them and I can accept that. And we really aren't planning on trying again for a while. That is why I didn't have time for him then. I do take my dog places with me now, and I did then, but he tears up my car, too, so lol. My dog does go outside with me, but I always catch him eating cat "you know" (I have 2 cats outside). I just wish I knew why he did this. Is it a chihuahua thing? I'm not sure. My sister in law who has a chihuahua says hers has the same issues. My dog is a great dog, except for his behavioral problems. He is very good to me, not so good to my husband lol, but I think it's because he is attached to me and not him. I know chihuahuas usually attach to one person and that's it. I love him too death, and I spend a lot of time with him, I am a housewife, but I still don't understand why he acts the way he does.

Upvote 0

Singin4Him

Here I am Lord, send me!
Jul 31, 2004
Texas
✟20,030.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jennie726 said:
So you're giving him up because he's bad? This behavior can so easily be altered if you are patient with him, I mean he's still a puppy so it's totally natural for him to do those things. When he bites is he biting our of aggression or out of play? I'm have a great deal of experience with dogs, I usually do not advise people who get rid of a dog to rush back in to getting another. What happens if you give this one away and then the next one you get doesn't behave as you would like either? Will you give it away as well?

Most likely this dog has some separation anxiety and has started acting this way because he has been stressed out. Dogs can feel when you are stressed and considering what has gone on in your lives recently I'm sure your dog can feel that you're stressed as well. If you haven't spent much time with this dog I can guarantee you 90% of his behavior problem is a result of that. It can easily be changed if you work with him a little bit and most importantly crate train him. Crate training will solves so many behavior problems, even potty training. As far as eating his feces I hate to tell you but pretty just about every dog does this, I know it's disgusting but it's a lack of vitamin issue and most dogs will do this. There is something you can put in their food which will not harm them and will prevent them from doing this, it does work.

If you want a small dog you're probably going to deal with separation anxiety with every small breed as they are all prone to this. So if you don't plan on spending time with the dog and taking time to train it, it won't matter what breed you get they will all have behavior issues. I would personally advise you to give it a few more weeks with this little pup and try to work it out. If you try with patience then you might be able to get him over those behavior issues. It is possible, I've seen it work myself.

Upvote 0

Sabina41

Oct 27, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟944.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Singin4Him is spot on. You've been stressed and it has bled over to your dog's behavior. Did you take him to obediance classes? How does he ride in your car? Do you give him free roam of the house? Do you leash walk? If he tears up your car or house, then start using a crate when you go places. He certainly can't chew things up if he can't get to them. Feces eating is a dog thing in general. Large or small they just have a drive to eat poo...it's not attractive to us, but it's not unnatural. If you really don't want him eating poo, leash walk him so you can keep him away from it.

Also, is he neutered? While it's not a cure-all, some behavior problems are dulled (to a point) once those silly little tumors are removed.

YOU have to be proactive here. It seems like your dog has fallen through the cracks in the last little while and he is suffering as a result. The easy solution (and the most unfair to your dog) is to do exactly what you're doing and give up on him. Even if you are able to find someone to take him with his current behavioral problems, if they are not able to fix them, well dogs with this problems are in high number in shelters. Please think of what you are doing to your dog and the reality that this may have on his life.

-Ashley

Reactions: Avatar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mythrainbow

Oct 26, 2004
Tillamook, OR
✟16,223.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
There are breeds will generally do better as inside dogs than others, if you look at the history of the dog most of the time it's easy to see, (pretty much any dog that was breed for a job invovling a lot of exercise most likely won't do well inside all the time)

But also lifestyle is a WAY big factor. When choosing a dog you have to remember that not just your physical environment will affect your dog but also your lifestyle.

You have to look how much overall time you can spend with a dog through out the week. Look at what you will be doing during that time, whether or not it will by active physicall things or just chillin'. Really activity level doesn't tell you whether or not it is a good house dog, it tells you whether or not the dog fit's in YOUR lifestyle. Also remember grooming. How often will you be able to groom. Once, twice a week, or every day?

A lot of dogs I've worked with do not match the breeds description in personality (this is because I work with pet quality a lot). Even my own dog is an example. She is a German Shepherd. She should be high energy, love activity and have a strong drive prey, pack or play drive. She has none of the above. She does have energy and endurance but rarely chooses to use it and she rarely motivated to do much. She would be a good house dog. German Shepherds with their thick coats and large sweeping tail, (although they would love to share the couch), most do not fit as inside dogs.

Also the behavior you described from your chihuahua doesn't sound like a typical breed charcteristic, rather it sounds like problem behaviours that occur because some need is not being met or lack of discipline or miscomunication.

Many people treat their dogs as children, this is when you come up with many problems. That's not to say a dog is not a part of the family, because they very much are. But a dog was created for pack life, which is slightly different than family life and we have to account for this when we deal with our dogs.

Some dogs are great at adapting to us, so we don't need to change our ways. But we are more complex than dogs, so sometimes dogs can't cope, and we need to change things and understand how the dog sees things otherwise we can cause major problems.

Ok I could go on forever on the subject but instead I'll invite you to PM me with any further questions. I started training dogs when I was 11 and I started teaching others when I was 15. So even if you have a question I can't answer right away, I have sources to find you an answer.

I'll pray that you find the right dog to fit in your household :)

Upvote 0

searchingforGodlyanswers

Jul 7, 2004
somewhere ;)
✟2,601.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mythrainbow said:
Also the behavior you described from your chihuahua doesn't sound like a typical breed charcteristic, rather it sounds like problem behaviours that occur because some need is not being met or lack of discipline or miscomunication.

Many people treat their dogs as children, this is when you come up with many problems. That's not to say a dog is not a part of the family, because they very much are. But a dog was created for pack life, which is slightly different than family life and we have to account for this when we deal with our dogs.

Some dogs are great at adapting to us, so we don't need to change our ways. But we are more complex than dogs, so sometimes dogs can't cope, and we need to change things and understand how the dog sees things otherwise we can cause major problems.

Ok I could go on forever on the subject but instead I'll invite you to PM me with any further questions. I started training dogs when I was 11 and I started teaching others when I was 15. So even if you have a question I can't answer right away, I have sources to find you an answer.

I am sorry to read about your loss.

I applaud the people who come to CF asking for advice and giving advice.

Also there's a show that comes on national geographic.
http://poll.imdb.com/title/tt0423642/
http://www.cesar-millan.com/?source=adwords

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/

The last website is probably the best one. If you don't have much time on your hands or don't feel like doing much else, you can probably watch a taped version of the show while you eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

This is what I've learned from watching the shows:
A dog should be a dog first. These are their needs: 1. Exercise 2. Discipline 3. Affection & should be given in this order, not affection all the time and not enough exercise and not enough discipline. Dogs need to know you are the leader. If they do not get 1 & 2 and just get 3, they can become neurotic and display behavioral problems. Even how you feel inside and your body posture, the dog will pick up on and it rubs off on the dog. I've watched a number of episodes, and Ceasar is very impressive.

This is straight from their site, I just highlighted it in blue:
Whether it's soothing the nerves of a mal-tempered Chihuahua or teaching celebrities' dogs how to deal with big city life, Cesar Millan has an uncanny ability to rehabilitate canines and teach owners to be the loving "pack leaders" their pets need them to be.

Photo Gallery
Fetch photos of killer Chihuahuas, not-so-Great Danes and more.

If mythrainbow and going to the site and watching the show do not help, maybe you could call Ceasar and have him do a show with you.
I've seen dogs on that show that were aggressive &/or neurotic changed almost as soon as he got their leash and walked them. There was at least one episode where he had to take the dog away for a little while to rehabilitate the pooch.

There are also prison facilities that work with dogs and cats to train them, so you could find more about that too, and how close the nearest one to you is. From what I've seen, you would have to drop off your dog there to be trained. I think other places have it where they train the dogs to be more adoptable. If you go this route, you might have to check to see if the one nearest you will do one that already has a home.

As far as other suggestions on what your dog snacks on: maybe vitamins, a more expensive diet or homemade diet, keeping doggy on a leash when going outdoors (if your dog is your baby, think about it like this, would you want your 1 year old eating that stuff or would you restrain your baby from that) (if your dog is just a dog to you, you do not want your dog to lick your face or anyone else's after that habit) or maybe training doggy to go indoors on newspapers or in a cat box (yes they can do that), there are also pills to make a dog stop eating its own but I'm not sure if it will work on the cats (could check to see if a vet would reccommend you give it to the cats to make their own waste not be as tasty to your dog), using a large kennel (covered with wire and some shelter and water access) with a run can keep your dog from the cats' waste and other animal waste and give some freedom at the same time, get a doggy physical and deworming and deparasitizing on all your pets in case your dog gets loose after all this (could be coming fro a nutritional deficiency caused by worms or a health problem and diet alone may not lead your dog to stop what has become a natural habit for some puppies), and by all means try to find someone who uses the techniques Caesar uses or watch the show (maybe find someone who has cable or directtv to tape it for you if you don't have it) itself if you can get it for free (he has even used a treadmill for one that could not stop pacing!).
Any dog that acts like this needs to have something better to do with its time instead of nipping or biting and eating waste.
If you get another dog, what's to stop that dog from becoming worse than the one you've got? Work on the first dog, and then figure out what you want to do as far as getting another one (I don't think you mentioned how far down the road you might get another?). If you do not want your dog after you see changes or no changes, then I hope your dog goes to someone who will treat your dog right.
The best dogs (friendliest and smartest) I have seen are rough collies, retrievers (lab or golden), and huskies. These dogs are normally friendly, and if you want a little one indoors, maybe you could go as far as a labradoodle (lab mixed with poodle specifically bred together) or mix breed or even a pure breed in a shelter.
I would not suggest a husky for you as they normally need lots and lots of exercise and pull really hard on a person's body. The breed type does not always determine the behavior all the time. I've even seen within the different breeds various personalities. For example, one collie might be hyper and a roaming excape artist while the other might be calmer and willing to stay near the house. One might be highly active and needing attention all the time to the point of crying and screaming and getting jealous when attention is given to someone else while another in the same breed might be calm, aloof, and lay around the house except to dip her feet in a wading pool or lake.
I think each dog or breed will have their own personality quirks, good and bad, and each person has to just deal with what they get the best way they can. A dog is a very big committment and can change your life while you are changing that dog's life.
If you are determined to get another, regardless of what you do with the one you have now, I would suggest getting a book or finding a website that will give you a test and match you to a dog that will suit your needs, personality, and lifestyle. I have seen a book like that when I did an onoline search a few years back that I wanted at one time, but don't remember the name of it nor who wrote it. It had a series of tests in it designed to help someone find the right dog and for the dog to be paired with the right people.

Please keep us updated on what you decide and how it works out for you.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jennie726 said:

Did his behavior start up like this before or after your sad loss?

If after, perhaps he is feeling your pain and sensing your stress and acting out because of it. Not that it is your fault of course, but I am thinking maybe he just feels stress and pain in the house in general and it has triggered a kind of sadness in him.

I don't know what else to tell you about his behavior that others haven't already said, but I do want to send you some hugs and my sorrow for your loss. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.