What is the attitude towards transgender people in the Christian Church?

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I ask this because I went with a friend to a church recently and the sermon was on "Is gender fluid".

The Vicar was arguing from a Christian perspective that there are only 2 genders made by god and that people who feel they are the other gender or who have a genetic problem requiring gender re-alignment should accept themselves as god made them and not receive any treatment.

he al;so was appalled that the Church of England is considering bringing in prayers to welcome newly gender reassigned individuals to the church.

His stance felt to me to be very un-Christian, I wondered what others felt.

Reactions: jennimatts

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From a biblical, logical and rational perspective, "transgender" is a nonsense term. God only made male or female humans. That a person could possibly "transition" from one gender to another is completely foreign to the truth of God.

A person who is born a male, as determined by chromosomes and sexual organs, is a male at birth and will always be a male. Similarly true for a female.

No matter how much one mutilates their sexual organs and has to make a lifetime of hormonal treatment, it will never change them into the opposite gender. Gender is not fluid. That is an utter and complete lie.

Moreover, if one is pursing the lie that they can change their gender, they are in rebellion to God's creative order, and as Romans 1 says, they are exchanging the truth for a lie.

So, like anyone else in sin, the Christian church should tell those who think that they can change their gender the truth that God created them male or female. And if they continue to be in rebellion to God, the wrath of God abides on them. But there is hope for those who turn from their sin and trust in Jesus Christ. He will make them a new creation, someone who no longer loves their sin and hates God, to someone who hates their sin and loves God. But if they continue in their sin, God will grant them justice for their rebellion against Him.

The Christian church should always be the home for truth and grace and mercy. But the church should never tell someone who is in sin that their sin (no matter what that sin is) is ok with the holy, perfect and righteous God. It is very unloving to tell someone that they are ok if they are in rebellion to God's design.

Upvote 0

Matthew B

Feb 9, 2017
Texas
✟15,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I am a Christian and I do not attend any man-made church regularly. I do read the Bible and pray to the Father in heaven and I also pray in Jesus' name. Jesus did not come to condemn the world but to save the world through Himself. He loves everyone on the earth. Christians actually own the world. I do not fear death. I love a person who has changed their gender via surgery. I will not condemn them because they changed their gender. Would I tell someone it's morally correct to change their genders? God made a man and a woman. That shows me that God made two genders. If some people think they are a different gender than their private parts then that's a perversion of who they are. For example, I'll use myself. I've had sexual, lustful thoughts for men in the past. Now, I can think I'm not sexually attracted to men and with the authority of God my thought comes true. I know to condemn a person who has transitioned genders, based on that alone, is wrong. I love all people.

Bible Gateway passage: James 2 - New American Standard Bible

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I ask this because I went with a friend to a church recently and the sermon was on "Is gender fluid".

The Vicar was arguing from a Christian perspective that there are only 2 genders made by god and that people who feel they are the other gender or who have a genetic problem requiring gender re-alignment should accept themselves as god made them and not receive any treatment.

he al;so was appalled that the Church of England is considering bringing in prayers to welcome newly gender reassigned individuals to the church.

Churches have a variety of beliefs on this issue.

I think everybody should be welcomed at church, including those with gender dysphoria, who believe they are the wrong gender.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,403,905.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Lord Jesus left this command:
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

This IMHO does not exclude transgendered people. The flesh is already dead in transgression and sin . It is the soul that needs saving.No, I do not believe gender is fluid. This is a lie of the enemy. But I do believe trans people can hear the Gospel, believe, and be saved.
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

So, should the church preach the Gospel to transgender people? Absolutely! They too are God's creatures. Can God forgive them for mutilating their bodies? Of course!
The blood of Jesus cleanses all sin.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The only point I would make is that medicine intervenes I’m so many issues where human beings do not accept being kept as god made them. Deformed people get plastic surgery, heart defects are resolved, major functional problems with our sex organs are resolved where possible. Why not resolve a gender issue, why should transgender people and them alone accept themselves as god made them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
The only point I would make is that medicine intervenes I’m so many issues where human beings do not accept being kept as god made them. Deformed people get plastic surgery, heart defects are resolved, major functional problems with our sex organs are resolved where possible. Why not resolve a gender issue, why should transgender people and them alone accept themselves as god made them?

Its not a gender issue. Its not life threatening. Its satan at work twisting peoples minds.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,240,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's been said that in Christ there is no male or female. (Gal 3:28)

-

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Its not a gender issue. Its not life threatening. Its satan at work twisting peoples minds.

Morbidity and mortality are fairly high in people with gender dysphoria without medical and psychological support.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A person who is born a male, as determined by chromosomes and sexual organs, is a male at birth and will always be a male. Similarly true for a female.
And sometimes (swyers' syndrome, androgen insensitivity) they are in conflict.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's been said that in Christ there is no male or female. (Gal 3:28)
Irrelevant to this discussion. That refers ONLY to equality at the foot of the cross.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What about trans people who arent gender dysphoric?
????

Why would someone want to transition to the other gender if they do not have dysphoria?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am a Christian and I do not attend any man-made church regularly.
YOu are not obeying the bible then.

"Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together..."

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's a form of mental illness.

I really can't argue with that.

Upvote 0