What is the “one baptism” mentioned in Ephesians 4:5? (I have an answer, but I would like input).

What is the one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4:5?

• Total voters

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@LoveofTruth

Could you share your thoughts on Romans 6:3-4? I came away with the impression that this may be referring to both Spirit and water baptism in this instance. But I am open to your thoughts on seeing it otherwise.

Thank you, brother.

May God bless you greatly today.
Hello again Brother, God bless

I see this section speaking about a purely spiritual immersion into Jesus Christ

Paul says as many as have been baptized INTO Jesus Christ . This is by one Spirot into one body. Also we were. Baptized into his death. This is a spiral connection inwardly as well.

Jesus said

John 15:4. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.”

to be immersed in or into Jesus Christ is the life and union with him . He is in us and we in him .

I can comment further in this deep section in Romans 6 later perhaps. I was just giving a short thought here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Peter delivered a magnificent Spirit-inspired speech and yet was mistaken? Maybe he was mistaken about all things? Have you seriously considered the possibility that maybe you've mistakenly bought into the wrong metaphysics?

The obvious tension here is that Scripture associates physical water (baptism) with a supernatural effect (cleansing us from sin). A physical metaphysics easily resolves/explains this tension. In the early church, the divine Word regularly assumed the physical form of Living Water replacing or permeating some of the baptismal water. Thus water baptism WAS an occasion of Spirit-baptism, and it DID perform some (incremental) measure of regeneration/sanctification (cleansing from sin).
Consider this

Peter and the other apostles were not yet fully understanding the end of the Old Covenant and the temple with its sacrifices and offerings and all the customs of the Jews and traditions of the elders etc.

Jesus said he had many things to say and to Judge of them before Pentecost,but they were not able to beat it at that time, but He told them that the Spirit would guide them into all truth. So Peter was actually going to the TEMPLE in Acts 2 as a Jewish follower and under the law still. Many people seem to miss this fact. What did they do in the temple? Well they sacrificed animals. and kept all the requirements of the law of Moses and many things. We see that all through Acts Peter and the other Jewish believers were going into the temple and still sacrificing animals ( even though that was done away with by Jesus Christ one sacrifice) We see this in Acts 21, where there were thousands of Jewish believers still in the temple system and under the law and customs of the Jews. This was many years after Christ death. They even were sacrificing animals still.

So it is clear that God allowed the Jews a time of reformation Hebrews 9, and transition. Paul seemed to have a clearer understanding of the end of the Old Covenant and the New Covenant and we see this in his confrontation with Peter in Galatians.

So I see that God allowed the Jews and the apostles preaching to the Jews to go through this transition or reformation (Hebrews 9).

I see that Peter in Acts 2 said the right words but how it was applied was still clinging to the old water baptism of John. John had said before the cross that he water baptized "for the remission of sins". But that had to be a type for without the shedding of blood there is no remission. And we are told that Christ washed us from our sins in His own blood. It is through faith in his blood that we have remission of sins.

When John water baptized the Jews, that was a type of the death and resurrection for Christ in the Jordan river, fulfilling the Old Testament type of Joshua and the 12 tribes going through Jordan into the new land. The place of the Jordan river was specific. I believe Jordan means place of death or descending. It typifies death to the old life and when Jesus was baptized there he is the reality of the old story of Joshua and the ark going through the Jordan into the new land with the people. And also, as in the old story of Joshua, he did it to manifest himself to Israel.

But I see that Peter was still following the law and sacrifices and customs of the Jews for a long while and even Johns water baptism. Jesus told them in the first chapter of Acts that John baptized with water, but that they would be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. I believe he told them this for a reason, signifying the past tense "baptized" of Johns water baptism with the new reality they were to come into. Jesus reminded Peter again about this past tense water baptism of John (Acts 11) when the first Gentiles came in as Peter was a part of in Acts 10. When Peter was going over what happened with the gentiles in Chapter 11 he told of God reminding him of Johns past water baptism with water and the present baptism with the Holy Ghost. Why did Jesus remind Peter of Johns past water baptism, while Peter was baptizing the Gentiles? I believe this was because of Peters trying to bring the Gentiles under the Jewish law and customs that they did not need to go under.Peter may also have been following ( along with Johns old testament water baptism) the Halakah law or tradition of the Jews in regards to gentile converts. This required that they be water baptized and circumcised and offer two turtle doves. But, the question to ask is, Why would God bring the Gentiles under the Jewish law and customs and Johns water baptism, and then have to bring them out again, as he was slowly doing with the Jewish believers? Did God want the gentiles to keep the law and sacrifices and customs as the jewish believers were still doing and eventually to come out of? No, I don't believe he wanted this and we see similar in Acts 15 when they were not to keep the law of Moses or be circumcised etc.

So we see that Peter said to repent and be baptized IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins..." This in the name of Jesus Christ , or "into the name" or into Jesus Christ, is the saving part. To immerse into Jesus Christ or into the Name is into the character, life authority and power of Jesus Christ. This is done by the Spirit, without human hands. Then when a believer is in the body of Christ by the Spirit Jesus will baptize them with the Holy Ghost. But they first must be "in Christ". For by one Spirit have we all been baptized into Christ 1 Corinthians 12:13. The "into" part is the reality of the inward life in us. So if all believers have been baptized by one Spirit into Christ. Then this is a spiritual thing not a physical thing. This then must be the one baptism Paul spoke of in Ephesians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

New Testament Christian

Sep 10, 2021
Columbus
✟4,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The one baptism that is now in effect for those living under the new covenant of Christ, the gospel of Christ taught by Paul and all the chosen apostles is water.

I'm not a Greek scholar. No one needs to be a greek scholar to understand Jesus' gospel.

Paul in Epheasians 4:5 teaches the ONE immersion today is water.

We know this by the Greek word baptizo.

Mark 16:15-16 Jesus uses the word baptizo.
Baptizo is only used for water baptism never Holy Spirit baptism or any other baptism.

The Greek word used for jewish washings under the Mosaical law and old covenant Mikvah is, recorded in Hebrews 6:1-2
Therefore leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

OF THE DOCTRINE OF BAPTISMS, OF THE LAYING ON OF HANDS, OF RESSURECTION OF THE DEAD AND OF ETERNAL JUDGEMENT.

This word baptisms in Hebrews 6:2 is not baptizo or baptisma(the word used regularly in the New Testament for christian immersion) Baptisms in Hevrews 6:2 is not baptisma.

Here are a few passages where baptisma, baptizo is used. This Greek word always refers to water.
Mark 16:15-16
John 3:5
Acts 2:38
Acts 8:12

In Acts 8 we see clearly the baptism that believers did, was not Holy Spirit baptism as the context of chapter 8 shows,

Acts 8:5
Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria and preached Christ to them.

Acts 8:12
But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

We will learn this baptism is water for they have not yet received the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip and was amazed seeing the miracles and signs which were done.

14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them,

15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.

16 FOR AS YET HE HAD FALLEN UPON NONE OF THEM.
They had only been baptized(water baptisma) in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Every verse where someone is baptized "in the name of the Lord" is water baptism. Never Holy Spirit.

More verses of water baptism,
Matthew 28:19
Acts 8:38-39
Acts 9:18(Paul's water immersion)
Acts 10:47-48
Acts 16:15
Acts 16:33
Acts 19:5
Acts 22:16

How do we. know Jesus' commission in Mark 16:15-16 and Matthew 28:19 is water baptism and not Holy Spirit?

Because God baptized man directly with Holy Spirit baptism.

Man baptizes Man with water baptism. Jesus commands His disciples to baptize other men.
Matthew 28:19-20
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Paul was teaching the one baptism in the gospel of Jesus Christ is water, Epheasians 4:5
Because only water baptism is the baptism that washes away our sins,
Epheasians 5:26
That He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word.

1Corinthians 12:13
For by one Spirit we were all baptized(this Greek word is baptizo, meaning water only)
Into one body- whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free-and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

If 1Corinthians 12:13 is Holy Spirit baptism into the one body.
Then it would not read,
For BY one Spirit we were all baptized...
It would instead read,
For WITH one Spirit we were all baptized...

The one body being the church, Colossians 1:18
We are water baptized into the one body/church,

Acts 2:38-39
Acts 2:41
Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them,

Added to what? Answer:
Acts 2:47
Praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the Church daily those who were being saved.

Many churches vote to have folks become members of their church. This is an unscriptual practise.
Only God Himself adds the saved to His church. God makes us members of His body not men.

Upvote 0

New Testament Christian

Sep 10, 2021
Columbus
✟4,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The apostles that received Holy Spirit baptism had complete perfect understanding of the revelation of the the covenant, Jesus' will and testament the gospel of Jesus Christ.

If the apostles who received Holy Spirit baptism were not all knowing then they were not fully equipped by God to complete the revelation of God ie the Holy Bible.

This was the very purpose of Holy Spirit baptism. To give the apostles miraculous knowledge to bring to completion the work Jesus came to earth to fulfill.

Jesus promises His apostles that they will receive Holy Spirit baptism ie power from on high.
Luke 24:49
Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.

Acts 2:1-2;4
When the day of penetcost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

This power from on high gave them ALL miraculous knowledge of Gods revelation to man,

John 14:25-26
These things I have spoken to you while being present with you.

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name He will teach you ALL THINGS and bring to your remembrance ALL THINGS that I said to you.

John 16:13
However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into ALL TRUTH; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.
14 He will glorify Me, for He will take what is Mine and declare it to you.

Jesus promised the apostles they would be guided into ALL KNOWLEDGE by His Holy Spirit.

How much knowledge is ALL TRUTH?
All means all.

The apostles were not ignorant of any of the new gospel of Jesus Christ. For they did not need to study but were given miraculous knowledge.

What about Peter's sin that Paul rebuked Peter to his face?

Peter knew he was going against the Holy Spirit when he sinned.

Holy Spirit baptism never took away the apostles free will.
They could choose to obey the Holy Spirit's revelation or go against it.

They still could commit willful sin.
This does not prove Peter did not have ALL knowledge when he sinned against God.

Peter knew water baptism was part of Jesus' gospel when he preached immersion in water in Acts 2:38 and Acts 10:47-48.

This was no mistake on Peter's part. He was miraculously guided by the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Himself taught water baptism in His gospel in Mark 16:15-16.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,541.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter delivered a magnificent Spirit-inspired speech and yet was mistaken? Maybe he was mistaken about all things? Have you seriously considered the possibility that maybe you've mistakenly bought into the wrong metaphysics?

The obvious tension here is that Scripture associates physical water (baptism) with a supernatural effect (cleansing us from sin). A physical metaphysics easily resolves/explains this tension. In the early church, the divine Word regularly assumed the physical form of Living Water replacing or permeating some of the baptismal water. Thus water baptism WAS an occasion of Spirit-baptism, and it DID perform some (incremental) measure of regeneration/sanctification (cleansing from sin).

When one is able to rightly divide the word of truth, between Israel and the Body of Christ, one can avoid making silly ad-hoc assumptions that "Peter was mistaken in delivering his Holy Spirit inspired sermon in Acts 2", and still form a doctrine that water baptism is not required for anyone in the Body of Christ today.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When one is able to rightly divide the word of truth, between Israel and the Body of Christ, one can avoid making silly ad-hoc assumptions that "Peter was mistaken in delivering his Holy Spirit inspired sermon in Acts 2", and still form a doctrine that water baptism is not required for anyone in the Body of Christ today.
When even the prophets spoke first person for God do you think they always understood exactly what they were saying and the future events. Peter had the right words but how to apply things is the question. Peter was going to the temple that day and still connected to it and the Ot law, we see thousands of Jewish Christians still attached to the temple and the Mosaic law and the customs zealously in Acts 21. Even Paul went into the Temple with them and animal sacrifices were offered.

So no "silly ad-hoc assumptions", here.

We also read that Peter was trying to compel the Gentiles to live like the Jews at one time and the gospel was in danger and Peter was to be blamed by Paul, rightly so. Read Galatians 2 about 10 times in prayer.

Also, the Holy Ghost was working in the apostles and all believers in Christ who were filled. But that doesn't mean we still need to grow in knowledge of things. Peter said that Paul wrote the wisdom of God and that some things were hard to be understood. Why did Peter say that if he understood all thing easily and every believer will understand all things easily after being Spirit filled?

a

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not at all, Jesus clearly ordered that people be baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, This is not the same as the baptism given by John.
Show me where Jesus is speaking of water baptism there and why do you add the word "water. Also we never see that formula repeated in the New testament.

Also Peter in Acts 10 seemed to be still following the baptism of John and perhaps the Halakah law of the Jewish custom that water baptized gentiles and circumcised them. In Acts 11 when Peter was remembering the even with the gentiles he was reminded that Jesus said John baptized with water, but ye they should be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Jesus had said this to them at the beginning of the book of Acts chapter one. So it seems that Pater was still following Johns water baptism of the old covenant and God instructed him not to.

The Gentiles were not to come under the old covenant and then have to leave it later. The Jews were coming out of the old covenant and it was fading away ready to vanish. God gave them a time of reformation. But it seems that when the Gentiles were coming in God showed Peter that they already believe and are filled with the Spirit before any ritual of Old Testament washings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,541.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When even the prophets spoke first person for God do you think they always understood exactly what they were saying and the future events. Peter had the right words but how to apply things is the question. Peter was going to the temple that day and still connected to it and the Ot law, we see thousands of Jewish Christians still attached to the temple and the Mosaic law and the customs zealously in Acts 21. Even Paul went into the Temple with them and animal sacrifices were offered.

So no "silly ad-hoc assumptions", here.

We also read that Peter was trying to compel the Gentiles to live like the Jews at one time and the gospel was in danger and Peter was to be blamed by Paul, rightly so. Read Galatians 2 about 10 times in prayer.

Also, the Holy Ghost was working in the apostles and all believers in Christ who were filled. But that doesn't mean we still need to grow in knowledge of things. Peter said that Paul wrote the wisdom of God and that some things were hard to be understood. Why did Peter say that if he understood all thing easily and every believer will understand all things easily after being Spirit filled?

a

So, in your view, is water baptism required for our salvation today?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, in your view, is water baptism required for our salvation today?
In the scriptural view, and my view as scripture shows, it is definitely not required for salvation.

The gospel 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 shows we are save by the hearing of faith and by believing we have life. We must keep in memory the truth of the gospel. And live in the life of Christ through grace as he abides in us through faith .

It is by one Spirit that we are “ALL”, baptised into one body. And as many of us as have been baptized into Christ (not into water) have put on Christ ( not put on water)

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,541.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the scriptural view, and my view as scripture shows, it is definitely not required for salvation.

The gospel 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 shows we are save by the hearing of faith and by believing we have life. We must keep in memory the truth of the gospel. And live in the life of Christ through grace as he abides in us through faith .

It is by one Spirit that we are “ALL”, baptised into one body. And as many of us as have been baptized into Christ (not into water) have put on Christ ( not put on water)

I am glad you are rightly dividing the truth there, and using Paul's epistles for Christian doctrine today.

Reactions: Dan Perez
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
maybe read post 264 about ten times and in prayer
Anyone that reads the Greek text in Eph 4:5 which says , ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPRISM .

#1 ONE means ONE TO ME , and do says it means ONE ??

#2 ONE // EIS is in the Greek NOMINATIVE CASE , and says it is the SUBJUST and is in the Greek SINGULAR and that means there is ONLY , ONE LORD .

#3 That goes for n ONE , FAITH also !

#4 And that goes for ONE BAPTISM and which is also in the NOMINATIVE CASE , and also in the SINGULAR , meaning there is ONLY ONE BAPTISM and is in the Greek NEUTER , which means this BAPTISMO applies to Male and Females

#5 The Greek texts reads BAPTISMA , and does not n read BAPTISO and check BLUE LETTER BIBLE or use BIBLE HUB and check it .

dan p

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone that reads the Greek text in Eph 4:5 which says , ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPRISM .

#1 ONE means ONE TO ME , and do says it means ONE ??

#2 ONE // EIS is in the Greek NOMINATIVE CASE , and says it is the SUBJUST and is in the Greek SINGULAR and that means there is ONLY , ONE LORD .

#3 That goes for n ONE , FAITH also !

#4 And that goes for ONE BAPTISM and which is also in the NOMINATIVE CASE , and also in the SINGULAR , meaning there is ONLY ONE BAPTISM and is in the Greek NEUTER , which means this BAPTISMO applies to Male and Females

#5 The Greek texts reads BAPTISMA , and does not n read BAPTISO and check BLUE LETTER BIBLE or use BIBLE HUB and check it .

dan p
the Greek wont help you here. These things are spiritual in understanding to be immersed into Christ is a deep truth and the saving baptism.Yes, there is one (saving) baptism, and it is not water baptism. The one baptism must be the one that all believers have and the one that is said to be saving in scripture.

"“The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:” ( 1 Peter 3:21)

This baptism is said to be saving and it is NOT "the putting away the filth of the flesh", or outward washing with water. It is the answer or the inquiry of a good conscience (an inward work) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christ has finished the work on the cross and been accepted in the work evidence by his resurrection. We also are risen with him ti the full assurance of hope. Our conscience can be clean now and made perfect which it could not be with divers washings of the past or any carnal ordinance as scripture teaches,

The conscience , meaning with knowledge, was not able to understand how to be made clean by animal sacrifices they did not have the full knowledge. But now believers are with knowledge and a clean perfect purged conscience.

" Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation...“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

Notice that the conscience cannot be clean or perfect by outward washings and carnal ordinances. But only through the blood of Christ.

Though there are many baptisms, and it is called the doctrine of baptism (Hebrews 6:2). The one saving baptism is this one,

“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.” (1 Cor 12;13)

"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
" ( Galatians 3:27)

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? " ( Romans 6:3)

It is by the Spirit that we are all baptized into one Body, the body of Christ, when we are baptized into Jesus Christ we out on Christ, not water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Greek wont help you here. These things are spiritual in understanding to be immersed into Christ is a deep truth and the saving baptism.Yes, there is one (saving) baptism, and it is not water baptism. The one baptism must be the one that all believers have and the one that is said to be saving in scripture.

"“The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:” ( 1 Peter 3:21)

This baptism is said to be saving and it is NOT "the putting away the filth of the flesh", or outward washing with water. It is the answer or the inquiry of a good conscience (an inward work) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Christ has finished the work on the cross and been accepted in the work evidence by his resurrection. We also are risen with him ti the full assurance of hope. Our conscience can be clean now and made perfect which it could not be with divers washings of the past or any carnal ordinance as scripture teaches,

The conscience , meaning with knowledge, was not able to understand how to be made clean by animal sacrifices they did not have the full knowledge. But now believers are with knowledge and a clean perfect purged conscience.

" Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation...“How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”

Notice that the conscience cannot be clean or perfect by outward washings and carnal ordinances. But only through the blood of Christ.

Though there are many baptisms, and it is called the doctrine of baptism (Hebrews 6:2). The one saving baptism is this one,

“For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.” (1 Cor 12;13)

"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
" ( Galatians 3:27)

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? " ( Romans 6:3)

It is by the Spirit that we are all baptized into one Body, the body of Christ, when we are baptized into Jesus Christ we out on Christ, not water.
I have two verses for all that read my proof !

One is in Rom 6:3 and it reads , That as many as were BAPTIZED into Christ were BAPTIZED into his DEATH ?

So how are we WATER BAPTIZED into his death ??

My other one is in 1 Peter 3:21 , where it reads The like figure whereunto even BAPTISMA ( In the Greek it is NOT water Baptism ) as the Greek word BAPTISMA is Not talking about WATER BAPTISM , as BAPTISMA is speaking about the HOLY SPIRIT and Eph 4:5 says , ONE LORD , ONE FAITH , ONE BAPTISMA and these Greek word is used 22 times from Matthew through 1 Peer 3:21 !!

dan p

BAPTIZED

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have two verses for all that read my proof !

One is in Rom 6:3 and it reads , That as many as were BAPTIZED into Christ were BAPTIZED into his DEATH ?
show me the word "water" there.You assume it is water baptism. i don;t believe it is.We are baptized into Christ by the Spirit,
So how are we WATER BAPTIZED into his death ??
Where does it say "water", we are crucified with Christ and have inner circumcision made without hands. The ground of the heart is broken up in repentance and a broken spirit and humble heart, then the seed can enter into us and our spirit is given life in the seed, the word of God, in Christ. Now through faith we die to the old man and the new man is born. We lay hold of eternal life and lose our old life. Christ dwells now in our heart by faith and He is formed in us. We are also not just crucified with him but burried and risen with him to the newness of life.
My other one is in 1 Peter 3:21 , where it reads The like figure whereunto even BAPTISMA ( In the Greek it is NOT water Baptism ) as the Greek word BAPTISMA is Not talking about WATER BAPTISM ,
I agree Peter is talking about the saving baptism, and that is into Christ

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟196,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
show me the word "water" there.You assume it is water baptism. i don;t believe it is.We are baptized into Christ by the Spirit,

Where does it say "water", we are crucified with Christ and have inner circumcision made without hands. The ground of the heart is broken up in repentance and a broken spirit and humble heart, then the seed can enter into us and our spirit is given life in the seed, the word of God, in Christ. Now through faith we die to the old man and the new man is born. We lay hold of eternal life and lose our old life. Christ dwells now in our heart by faith and He is formed in us. We are also not just crucified with him but burried and risen with him to the newness of life.

I agree Peter is talking about the saving baptism, and that is into Christ
And in 1 Cor 10:2 it reads , And all ( there were thousands of Jews at the RED SEA ) were BAPTIZED unto Moses , unto the CLOUD , unto the SEA .

MY question is does BAPTISM by it self mean WATER // HUDOR ?

If BAPRIZED // means Water , how were these Jews all BAPTIZED UNTO Moses ?

How were they BAPTIZED unto the CLOUD ?

How then were the BAPTIED unto the SEA ??

And what is the significance of the CLOUD ?

And the the significand of the SEA ?

Who were the ones destroyed by WATER // HUDOR ?

dan p

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,984.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And in 1 Cor 10:2 it reads , And all ( there were thousands of Jews at the RED SEA ) were BAPTIZED unto Moses , unto the CLOUD , unto the SEA .

dan p

dan p
The type of being baptized unto Moses. Shows that they went through the sea on dry land. They did not dunk under water. The ones under water were those who could not go through on dry land.

The Red Sea like the Jordan crossing typifies salvation in Christ from the old life to the new. When they were trapped at the edge of the water and mountains on the sides and the enemy coming. They had no escape, But Moses said to stand still and see the salvation of the Lord. We cannot save ourselves, it is by grace we are saved through faith. This first water crossing shows that God saves us and it is not of anything we do. The second crossing is similar but shows them going through the Jordan river, typifying descending or dying and coming to the new life and land. They took twelve stones and put them in the river and out of the river. This again is a type. The ark went first and then Joshua and the people. This shows that Christ comes into our heart at new birth and we walk in faith with him and we overcome though faith with him working in us. The first Red sea crossing shows Gods work outside of us, to stand still and see the salvation. The second water crossing at the Jordan river shows the new birth where Christ comes into our land or heart in the kingdom and we are crucified with him buried with him and risen with him to the newness of life. Christ destroys the works of the enemy in our lives and as we walk with him through faith.

So when Jesus was being water baptized at the Jordan river. It should have had a very strong symbolic typical meaning to those who were considering it. .Also in the Jordan crossing God had said he would manifest Himself. When Jesus was baptized by John that was also to manifest Him to Israel. and to fulfill all righteousness. But it was also a type for them to consider, being in the Jordan river where Joshua and the people crossed on dry land again following the ark of the covenant first.

It is a two fold aspect of salvation. The first Gods work without us involved and where Christ died on the cross for our sins and was burred and rose again and the second aspect of Gods work in us at new birth where Christ dwells in our heart by faith and where we enter the kingdom of God within and Christ destroys the works of the enemy in our lives. Where we are crucified "with" Christ, buried "with" him and risen "with " him.

Some more thoughts here

Jesus was fulfilling an Old Testament type when he was baptized into the Jordan river, and this was a deeply spiritual truth that he was revealing.

In the book of Joshua we see the type that Jesus fulfilled when he was baptized in the Jordan river. The Jordan river crossing speaks to us of Christ death and resurrection with him and into the new land.

We read, ,

“And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]tim, and came to
Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over. 2 And it came to pass after three days, that the officers went through the host; 3 And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it. “Joshua 3??

As they come to the Jordan and the ark of God goes first before them. This ark is a type of Jesus Christ and how we are to follow after him. The ark was made of wood and overlayed with gold. Typifying the humanity of jesus and his divinity.. The materials represent his person and the very purposes it was used for is the work of the Lord.

Notice also that it was three days, typifying Jesus resurrection after three days.

4 Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about two thousand cubits by measure: come not near unto it, that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore. “

This space between them and the ark, may figure how far away we are from that crossing and only the Lord can do this for us. We have not gone this way before. This is the Lords doing and mighty to save.

5 And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for to morrow the LORD will do wonders among you. 6 And Joshua spake unto the priests, saying, Take up the ark of the covenant, and pass over before the people. And they took up the ark of the covenant, and went before the people. 7 And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.”

Jesus was magnified and declared to be the Son of God with power after his resurrection. God also said that as he was with Moses he would be with Joshua. This is telling and it would seem to join the two crossings together as one. The death of Christ on the cross without us and our standing still by faith, and the ark going before us and Joshua ( a type of Christ going with us into the land to defeat the enemies. Typifying our death and resurrection with Christ and being risen with him to the newness of life.

8 And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.... “

Again, this work is a work of the Lord we must stand still and by faith we enter into the grace

“Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.... ...16 That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam,.. And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan....

The word Jordan means “ place of descending, judgement”. This typifies Christ death for us and our being crucified with him and buried with him and risen with him. This aspect our our being crucified , buried and risen with him is seen in the 12 stones that are mentioned here, The twelves stones in the midst of the Jordan river signify our dying with Christ and the twelve stones in the land our risen with him.

... And command ye them, saying, Take you hence out of the midst of Jordan, out of the place where the priests’ feet stood firm, twelve stones, and ye shall carry them over with you, and leave them in the lodging place, where ye shall lodge this night.... And Joshua said unto them, Pass over before the ark of the LORD your God into the midst of Jordan, and take ye up every man of you a stone upon his shoulder, according unto the number of the tribes of the children of Israel: 6 That this may be a sign among you, that when your children ask their fathers in time to come, saying, What mean ye by these stones? 7 Then ye shall answer them, That the waters of Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD; when it passed over Jordan, the waters of Jordan were cut off: and these stones shall be for a memorial unto the children of Israel for ever.” Joshua 3, and 4

There is a great deal of revelation in this section. Joshua teaches us a typology of Christ with his church in heavenly places “we are raised up with him to sit in heavenly places . And Moses teaches of the deliverance in the Red sea of Gods people and typifies our deliverance from our enemies and a saving way made for us through the red sea and the Jordan shows our entrance into the new land and blessings in Christ.

So when Jesus was being baptized in the Jordan River we see him fulfilling this type of the ark and Joshua and the people going in through death and judgement into the land and to defeat all the enemies. When we are baptize into Christ he comes into our hearts and defeats all the enemies. also.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The baptism by fire and Spirit baptism are the same thing, and means you were forever changed by that baptism sometime during your lifetime here, etc. Water baptism is a symbol of that, and is one's public declaration of the spirit/fire baptism that they are now publicly declaring, or are now fully ready to let be made known to everybody fully, as you are no longer afraid to tell everyone the truth about your whole entire born-again testimony now already, etc. And the public declaration is also now declaring that you are also now fully willing/ready/able to do that now honestly, since you also now fully know about it all now already, etc.

Full immersion symbolizes it best, as your declaration is that it almost overwhelmed you, or almost took you under/killed you, ort almost totally destroyed/drowned you, etc,in etc, etc, and that is also now a part of your testimony, etc.

You were born again by the firey trials and/or ordeals that you went through, most of which were all your own stupid fault due to your own past stupidity. But also that also God was a huge part of that, and still had a big huge hand in getting you fully out of that fully, and this now a big huge part of your born again testimony, etc, or of how you became a believer/Christian now up to today entirely, etc.

Anyway, getting water baptized is a declaring of all of that now publicly, etc. Has a lot to do with your testimony, etc. And your now being ready to give your 100% honest and fully correct/accurate full public testimony now publicly, etc.

Water baptism does not save, but only the Spirit baptism can/does only, etc.

If someone dies before being water baptized, then their being saved or not will depend of whether or not they were baptized by the Holy Spirit or not prior to that and/or previously, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0